Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
As figured, no changes coming
(12-31-2019, 01:31 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Never said anything about winning a super bowl lol. You start putting young talent around him in 2020 so a young core can grow and develop together and hopefully within a few years you have a competitor. This roster is awful and will take a few years to build up can’t do it in a single season.

No it isn't.

There are holes no doubt, but we don't have a terrible team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:19 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: This team is getting harder and harder to cheer for. Keep staying the course hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Not saying Taylor needs fired but something has to change. Oc, dc, ol coach my gosh it doesnt take nfl caliber coaches a full year with a team to figure out what works and what dont

So let me get this straight. You knew they wouldn't make any changes, but you're here complaining cause they actually didn't make any changes??

This whole regime got off to a late start on all fronts. The only one I fault for anything is Tobin. He should've tried to be more aggressive in the FA period. He knows the weaknesses of the team already. But he did draft Jonah, and for that, I at least give him credit for it. He did try to improve the OL, not his fault Jonah got injured.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:31 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Never said anything about winning a super bowl lol. You start putting young talent around him in 2020 so a young core can grow and develop together and hopefully within a few years you have a competitor. This roster is awful and will take a few years to build up can’t do it in a single season.

Exactly !

The only way this team turns around in one offseason is if we have a grand slam draft. Like on the level of the one the Steelers had in 74 or whatever.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

The only way this team turns around in one offseason is if we have a grand slam draft. Like on the level of the one the Steelers had in 74 or whatever.

Yes, of course the stars must all align with Mikey at the helm.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not true year in today's NFL. Falcons went from worst to 1st in 1 year, did they not?

They weren’t the worse team in the league the season before but they made a huge leap to the SB. The chances of that happening with the Bengals is probably slim. This win over Cleveland , Bobby Hart playing a few decent not terrible games and Johnson maybe being decent has people drinking the cool aid again and making it seem like this team is close to being ok and that we only need a few minor changes. Bottom line is this roster is bad and needs a ton of work.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:26 PM)lone bengal Wrote: They weren’t the worse team in the league the season before but they made a huge leap to the SB. The chances of that happening with the Bengals is  probably slim.  This win over Cleveland , Bobby Hart playing a few decent not terrible games and Johnson maybe being decent has people drinking the cool aid again and making it seem like this team is close to being ok and that we only need a few minor changes. Bottom line is this roster is bad and needs a ton of work.

we are definately closer to a 3 win team than a 2 win team
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No it isn't.

There are holes no doubt, but we don't have a terrible team.

We won 2 games with this roster and have been on a huge decline since 2015 with multiple bad drafts and with no quality free agent signings. The confirmed young talent on the roster consists of ...

- Boyd
-Mixon
-Hopkins
- Hubbard
- Lawson
-Bates
- Jackson III
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:36 PM)lone bengal Wrote: We won 2 games with this roster and have been on a huge decline since 2015 with multiple bad drafts and with no quality free agent signings. The confirmed young talent on the roster consists of ...

- Boyd
-Mixon
-Hopkins
- Hubbard
- Lawson
-Bates
- Jackson III

1. We were one of the most injured teams in the league, all year long.
2. We were missing our best player on offense and a (supposed) stud LT.
3. A *SHIT-TON* of issues from this year, fall on coaching and NOT the perceived, "lack of talent." Ryan Finley getting starts is absolutely not because of poor talent, but poor decision-making.

I'm not saying we don't need to address anything (sure as hell not), but the team is solid at a bunch of position groups and last year's draft was an attempt (outside of Sample) to solidify the groups that needed the most help; we got the best olineman in the draft, a good, rookie (YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE, who is already a giant and improved throughout the year) G, a young LB that was night and day from week 1 to week 17 and in this year's draft, if they continue to hit LB and oline with good, solid picks, those holes will continue to be filled up.

Things are not black and white and there are reasons for shortcomings and downfalls.

EDIT* Andy plays the three benched games, we win 2.
AJ plays, we win probably another 2 games or so.

6-7 wins isn't successful or ideal, but we are much closer to that, "on the cusp," record than 2-14.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. We were one of the most injured teams in the league, all year long.
3. A *SHIT-TON* of issues from this year, fall on coaching and NOT the perceived, "lack of talent." Ryan Finley getting starts is absolutely not because of poor talent, but poor decision-making.

I'm not saying we don't need to address anything (sure as hell not), but the team is solid at a bunch of position groups and last year's draft was an attempt (outside of Sample) to solidify the groups that needed the most help; we got the best olineman in the draft, a good, rookie (YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE, who is already a giant and improved throughout the year) G, a young LB that was night and day from week 1 to week 17 and in this year's draft, if they continue to hit LB and oline with good, solid picks, those holes will continue to be filled up.

Things are not black and white and there are reasons for shortcomings and downfalls.

6-7 wins isn't successful or ideal, but we are much closer to that, "on the cusp," record than 2-14.

I felt we would have one all 3 were he at the helm.  Each one seemed to be within our grasp and faultered due to a lack of experience.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. We were one of the most injured teams in the league, all year long.

Oh c'mon, after an 0-8 start, people were clamoring to see what Finster brought to the table. Had to play him to see it was nothing. If Zac hadn't given him a shot, people would be complaining of him sticking with Dalton no matter what, which is what we heard the whole time Lewis was here.....
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:26 PM)lone bengal Wrote: They weren’t the worse team in the league the season before but they made a huge leap to the SB. The chances of that happening with the Bengals is  probably slim.  This win over Cleveland , Bobby Hart playing a few decent not terrible games and Johnson maybe being decent has people drinking the cool aid again and making it seem like this team is close to being ok and that we only need a few minor changes. Bottom line is this roster is bad and needs a ton of work.

Exactly,

Four of our last 5 games were against the 7-9 Jets who have  -83 net points, and the 25th D in the NFL. The 5-11 Dolphins that have  -188 net points and the 30th ranked D. And two against the 6-10 Browns with -58 net points, the 22nd ranked D and one of the worst D's against the run. Not to mention just being in total disarray !

Because we won 2 of those games and took another to OT (that took literally an epic feat to get back in, in final seconds) people act like everythings fixed and we're close, again.

Mike Brown ? Is that you ?

I'm not saying this team didn't improve at all in the final stretch, they did. But you have to temper your elation and consider the competition.

This team has a lot, and I mean a lot of work to do in the offseason to become anything close to relevant next season !
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Those daily meetings are a committee of inexperience. What exactly does Katie contribute to them? I made pudding for the kids this morning? Seriously, it's a joke. Troy and Katie have to rely on Taylor to tell them what is what, and that's scary.

What?
I bet Katie knows more about all the ins and outs of Football than you do.
She grew up knowing nothing but Football. Being a lawyer was the only way she could at that time be a significant member of the team.

In fact, most in the Brown family probably know a great deal about football. The problem is, are they in it to make money or win championships. It's 2 different methods of operation.

My guess is they are in it to make money first and therefore don't always make good football decisions because they are super cautious and conscience about the money side.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:00 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The guy literally just finished a season yesterday and you guys think he will come out and just announce to the entire league everything the Bengals are thinking of doing?

GTFOut of here with that dumb &$#× !

He said they were going to start evaluating, etc etc. WTF is he supposed to do? Stop with the knee jerk foot stomping cry baby stuff.

Ummm, you're welcome. All I was trying to do was give you information you were asking about. Over react much??

be the last time I try to do anything for your ungrateful ass...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 10:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Totally incorrect.  They are going to evaluate and discuss everything, then no changes.

WhoDey2 I see what you did there... Ninja  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:10 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  ZT gave his end of season press conference.

What’s the first order of business for you this offseason? 
You just played 16 games, so make sure we have all that in order, and then start preparing. I don’t think anything is official with the Senior Bowl yet, but that would be a great opportunity for our staff if that is able to happen, and it’s something we would welcome. We want to get a great chance to coach those guys and see what they’re all about. But that’s the next step for us — evaluating our own roster and where we want to head. From there, it’s starting to get ready for free agency and start to scout these guys for the draft.”
Jim Nagy, who runs the Senior Bowl, does a regular spot on Movin' the Chains.  I believe it was two weeks ago that he stated we are one of the two staffs.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Jim Nagy, who runs the Senior Bowl, does a regular spot on Movin' the Chains.  I believe it was two weeks ago that he stated we are one of the two staffs.

generally goes to worst team in AFC and NFC
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: generally goes to worst team in AFC and NFC

I know.  My point is that while Taylor stated yesterday that it is not official, the Senior Bowl folks stated it as such already.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:19 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: This team is getting harder and harder to cheer for. Keep staying the course hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Not saying Taylor needs fired but something has to change. Oc, dc, ol coach my gosh it doesnt take nfl caliber coaches a full year with a team to figure out what works and what dont

First its early, asst coaches dont go as early normally, 2nd you give Taylor time and choice if he wants to keep coaches , a revolving door of coaches and philosophy is not all ways good. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think free agents know the reputation of management and see we have poor coaching. It's going to be hard to add quality guys.

Free agents often go where the money is. Bad teams are able to sign FA's all the time.

Before anyone says it, no, signing free agents isn't why teams are bad. It's just that bad teams often have more cap space because they don't have good players of their own to resign. That's why we should have a ton of free cap space this off-season.

(12-31-2019, 10:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It is a very real fear. We've, over the last decade + watched two pretty good QB's go down the drain because MB won't do what it takes to build a winner.

My biggest fear is we're going to go thru another cookie cutter MB offseason. Retain 95% of the current roster. Get a B- free agent and a C+. Trade nobody for picks. Rely 100% on the 7 picks we have. Stay the course !

And we'll slowly watch QB #3 erode like the others.

Exactly what I'm worried about. I want to see Burrow in the best situation possible. It takes a team to win a SB. Even with a great QB.

(12-31-2019, 02:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So let me get this straight. You knew they wouldn't make any changes, but you're here complaining cause they actually didn't make any changes??

This whole regime got off to a late start on all fronts. The only one I fault for anything is Tobin. He should've tried to be more aggressive in the FA period. He knows the weaknesses of the team already. But he did draft Jonah, and for that, I at least give him credit for it. He did try to improve the OL, not his fault Jonah got injured.

Not to speak for him, but when people know crappy weather is coming, they often still complain about the crappy weather.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 02:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly,

Four of our last 5 games were against the 7-9 Jets who have  -83 net points, and the 25th D in the NFL. The 5-11 Dolphins that have  -188 net points and the 30th ranked D. And two against the 6-10 Browns with -58 net points, the 22nd ranked D and one of the worst D's against the run. Not to mention just being in total disarray !

Because we won 2 of those games and took another to OT (that took literally an epic feat to get back in, in final seconds) people act like everythings fixed and we're close, again.

Mike Brown ? Is that you ?

I'm not saying this team didn't improve at all in the final stretch, they did. But you have to temper your elation and consider the competition.

This team has a lot, and I mean a lot of work to do in the offseason to become anything close to relevant next season !

Great post! 2 wins is bad. No way to slice it.

I do agree with Truck above that coaching is the major issue. The roster does have holes though too...but some are created by coaching and scheme.
Reply/Quote