Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
(11-13-2016, 12:09 AM)jowczarski Wrote: But that opens a couple possibilities. What if Whit says I’ll move inside for $7 for the next two years? What if Whit and the team agree to keep him, and pay him to stay outside but they feel Fisher a better fit inside? Unanswerable questions until that time. So the team has some leverage, as does the player.

I don't think that scenario is even a remote possibility.

Is he aging?  Yes.

Does his play represent that?  No.  Not really.

Whit would have to have a screw loose to do that.

I just don't believe he's that loyal or willing to concede at a position he still excels at.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Jim,

We've seen an in game rotation lately between Ced and Winston, with the offense being considerably better when Winston is in. Do you think the staff will make the decision that Ced is just not yet ready and go to Winston full time for the stretch run for the sake of the success of the team? It's not calling him a bust, just admitting that he still has work to do to become a viable starter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim,

In your "expert" expertise (redundant redundancy intended), how much longer do you think before Mike Brown gives up full control of the team? I believe that Katie has a lot of say in how things are run (and she certainly seems to be a master of contract negotiations) and Marvin and Duke definitely are in control of the roster , but, bottom line, this is still Mike's team. I don't hate the guy (among other things, his keeping the team in Cincinnati is nigh miraculous and dude has shown that he does care about winning while also caring about his coaching staff and players); but, I can't help but think his major flaw is his loyalty. He sticks with people far longer than he should. While that can be commendable, many times it's detrimental. I worry because I can see that no matter what happens with this team, Lewis will be the head coach next year or we'd have a new head coach, but he'd be forced to keep most of Lewis' position coaches. It'd be one thing if we turned things around and made the playoffs and got a playoff win or three, but if we continue to lose and end up out of the playoffs, then I think most people would say thanks to Lewis and move on. I think Lewis is a great head coach who has done great work in Cincinnati. I give him full credit for turning us around from perennial laughing stock to championship contender. However, I think he's become our Marty Schottenheimer - a guy who gets us wins, but will not get us a championship.

Sorry for the novel. TL;DR - when do you think Brown will retire and give up all control in the team? Thanks. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Get me a timetable on Gio.

And no Eifert crap either.
Reply/Quote
I don't think that scenario is even a remote possibility.
Is he aging? Yes.
Does his play represent that? No. Not really.
Whit would have to have a screw loose to do that.
I just don't believe he's that loyal or willing to concede at a position he still excels at.

Whit told me on the record he would move inside next year if that’s what how it played out.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/27/cincinnati-bengals-andrew-whitworth-contract-future-changing-positions/85044124/

We've seen an in game rotation lately between Ced and Winston, with the offense being considerably better when Winston is in. Do you think the staff will make the decision that Ced is just not yet ready and go to Winston full time for the stretch run for the sake of the success of the team? It's not calling him a bust, just admitting that he still has work to do to become a viable starter.

I know this seems late to answer this now, but the answer was no then and is now. Winston isn’t really able, I don’t think, to play snap in and snap out for 70 plays or so. He does have work to do, so it will be very important for him to stay healthy his offseason to get in all that important OTA/training camp work he missed this year. It clearly set him back.

In your "expert" expertise (redundant redundancy intended), how much longer do you think before Mike Brown gives up full control of the team?

All of your other points in this question were fair to make. But this is your larger question – I think when he feels he can’t do it mentally or physically. He still loves the team, loves the game. But you underestimate how much ‘power’ the other people in the front office have. I don’t know how the votes go down, but in my 19 or so months on the job I haven’t heard of an instance where Mike over-ruled anyone. In fact I think they got him to push the financial envelope a little more this offseason. I think if big changes are going to be made, it has be a consensus from all the decision makers and then Mike has to be presented not just the why, but then how, and then the plans going forward. It’s all necessary. But it’s hard to say when – he jokes to me all the time he’s not as ‘in it’ as he used to be.

Timetable on Gio.

Not sure what “Eifert crap” means. Man, hard to say. He tore his other ACL in college at the start of the 2010 practices and was back in time for the 2011 opener. Now, on the NFL level – man. Really hard to say. Adrian Peterson is the outlier (Torn ACL and MCL on Xmas Eve, back for Week 1 next season). So throw that out. What helps is if it’s a straight ACL (i.e. no meniscus, no cartilage, no MCL/LCL/PCL, etc.). But Gio is a lower center of gravity, very powerful runner. Shifty. What makes him special is the first step, and his power. And the Bengals are conservative. My guess is he’ll start the year on PUP like Brandon Thompson.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure you've been asked this a lot, so sorry for being repetitive, but can you give us a few names you think the Bengals would look at for HC if/when Marvin is done?

And when that time comes do you think Marvin will move into a front office role with the Bengals? Seems like he's a perfect fit for a front office spot.
Reply/Quote
Here's a question I've been curious about since this past week's game.

What's the feeling in the locker room as of late?

We've heard Pacman freak out on fans about Nugent. Burfict flipping fans off. And Hill apparently walking away from Marvin during a lecture.

It seems there's been some turmoil and frustration as of late. What is the sense of the locker room?

Also, do you see any of the younger guys possibly taking more snaps as a starter if the season continue to go downhill? IE: Dennard and Fisher
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
@ZWP: No idea. I'm sure they have a list, as all teams should. But now that the established coordinators and clear head coaches-in-waiting are off the staff, dunno. Depends what they think of Guenther, if he's ready. But he's never even interviewed anywhere. And, you can't just leap frog him and promote, say, Haslett.

Honestly, the only way that happens is if Lewis retires and if that's the case, and it's an amicable separation, or Marvin remains in the organization, he'd probably have a say in making up that list of candidates.

@wolfkaosaun: No idea what you're talking about re: Hill. Yes, Jones was upset with the home fans heckling Nugent. To me, that's fair. Now, that's a battle players will never win but he is afraid to say what he thinks. As far as I know, Burfict was reacting to Bills fans. Again, not sure that's the thing that should be on his mind after a play, but whatever.
In the locker room, the prevailing sense is that they haven't quit, feel they're "in it" but are in some disbelief that they are 3-6-1. Sunday will show a lot. A ton of injuries. Two of your top guys are out, then two safeties and a long snapper (so who knows what will happen on punts/FGs/PATs now) - how will they respond?
And young guys are playing where available (i.e. Dennard/Shaw; Boyd, Wright and now likely Core). Not sure who else you're talking about.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Why cant this org build a damn practice bubble, put in a ring of honor, do something in FA and hire an outside coach to come in, clean house and bring in his own staff?

Why does Mike Brown hate doing anything that resembles running a winning pro NFL team?

When will reporters start asking hard questions to Lewis and Brown? Questions that the fan base who pays to see this team and buys merchandise want answers to?

When will someone tell Lewis to shut up and stop being so condescending in interviews and stop giggling like a damn girl? Because he is so awesome and has won how many playoff games in 14 years!?!?!?!?

Marvin Lewis, why have the same issues on O and D followed this team since you became HC? Why is the coaching staff not correcting these problems? It has been 14 years!
Reply/Quote
Jim,
I think Marvin is so intertwined in the Bengals organization that Mike Brown and the front office would have to not only change coaching staff but other factors in the business end (drafting, etc) if they fired him. I find them reluctant for that kind of change and have the mentality as long as the team is competitive and bringing in revenue, its good enough. I don't think for a second they are going to fire him after this season even if they lose out for the rest of the season. What are your thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Why cant this org build a damn practice bubble, put in a ring of honor, do something in FA and hire an outside coach to come in, clean house and bring in his own staff?

Bubble: Willing to pay for it? I ask that facetiously, but only kinda. I’m sure the team would be happy to practice in one that the county pays for.

ROH: Long standing thing with Mike. Not changing – though they’ll do something next year for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.

FA: They may have to this year since some of the draft picks have not really improved. But don’t expect a high dollar outsider – but maybe they pay more to keep Zeitler or Kirkpatrick or Whitworth. I can’t argue with this strategy – outside, high priced FA’s rarely pan out.

Coaching: Wouldn’t happen this year.

Why does Mike Brown hate doing anything that resembles running a winning pro NFL team?

They’ve won a lot the last five years. Yes, I know, not in the playoffs. But to get to the playoffs you have to win so some things resembling winning have been done.

When will reporters start asking hard questions to Lewis and Brown? Questions that the fan base who pays to see this team and buys merchandise want answers to?

What hard questions, exactly, do you think need to be asked?

When will someone tell Lewis to shut up and stop being so condescending in interviews and stop giggling like a damn girl? Because he is so awesome and has won how many playoff games in 14 years!?!?!?!?

Not really our job.

Marvin Lewis, why have the same issues on O and D followed this team since you became HC? Why is the coaching staff not correcting these problems? It has been 14 years!

I’ve only been here for two seasons so I wouldn’t be able to tell what the 2003 team was doing that is exactly the same as 2016.

I think Marvin is so intertwined in the Bengals organization that Mike Brown and the front office would have to not only change coaching staff but other factors in the business end (drafting, etc) if they fired him. I find them reluctant for that kind of change and have the mentality as long as the team is competitive and bringing in revenue, its good enough. I don't think for a second they are going to fire him after this season even if they lose out for the rest of the season. What are your thoughts?

I agree, in the sense that they just turned over the majority of the coaching staff this year already, so they’ll give it another year. Yes, the talent evaluators are on the same page with Marvin and the coaching staff but I think if the coaches were to change, the new guy would also be on the same page.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 06:22 PM)jowczarski Wrote: When will reporters start asking hard questions to Lewis and Brown? Questions that the fan base who pays to see this team and buys merchandise want answers to?

Like last week when Marv was going on about how players know they need to perform to keep their job... “I think with professional football, the players realize their jobs are never really secure. That’s why they are what they are. They have to perform each and every time out. They’re always being evaluated. Their job is to play as well as they can and win football games.”... my next question would have been, "then why the hell does Nugent still have a job??!!"
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-News-Conference-Transcript-1128/0e45e211-c877-4e18-a528-2d726e8b48ec

Of course, i wouldn't have said it like that. But as i was listening to it live and the follow up was "do you yourself have those kinds of thoughts?" i yelled at my radio because the obvious follow up wasn't asked and it was laid right on your guys plate, almost like a dare from Marv. 

His answer was absolute bullshit. If they have to perform each and every time out...Nugent isn't still on this team. I mean utterly and completely bullshit. I couldn't believe he sat there and said that, and no one called him on it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 06:22 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Why cant this org build a damn practice bubble, put in a ring of honor, do something in FA and hire an outside coach to come in, clean house and bring in his own staff?

Bubble: Willing to pay for it? I ask that facetiously, but only kinda. I’m sure the team would be happy to practice in one that the county pays for.
http://www.cincinnati.com/wlna/blogs/2015/03/27/walkthrough-327-bengals-faqs/70533196/
"Nobody took more exception to this than Carson Palmer, who couldn't stand practicing in the cold. He would have paid to build one himself if that was cleared."

Why would the team play in a practice bubble paid for by Hamilton County, but not Carson Palmer?
Reply/Quote
@ rfaulk34
Well, I asked for an example and you pulled out a good one – and totally fair. I wish I could get into that particular exchange a bit more but you’re right, that question wasn’t asked and should have been.

Marvin speaks to us four times a week (including game days) and opportunities do slip by. It happens. But I don’t think a broad statement isn’t accurate.

@ oncemoreuntothejimbreech – great pull. But “if it was cleared” is kind of a big thing. Any player would say they would pay for any one thing knowing it is impossible.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 10:50 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @ rfaulk34
Well, I asked for an example and you pulled out a good one – and totally fair. I wish I could get into that particular exchange a bit more but you’re right, that question wasn’t asked and should have been.

Marvin speaks to us four times a week (including game days) and opportunities do slip by. It happens. But I don’t think a broad statement isn’t accurate.

No worries. Marv is about as engaging and interesting as watching paint dry. The reason i got so annoyed, listening to the presser, is that you get so few opportunities to really put the iron to the fire with him.

I also understand the line you have to walk, trying to keep an amicable, working relationship with coaches and players and having to ask the tough questions that fans want to hear asked. 

Everything is always just so much easier when the team is winning...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 10:50 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @ rfaulk34

@ oncemoreuntothejimbreech – great pull. But “if it was cleared” is kind of a big thing. Any player would say they would pay for any one thing knowing it is impossible.

You're right.  "If" is kind of a big thing.  But, my impression from the Cincy media in the past is Palmer's offer was serious.  As serious as his trade me or I'll retire demand.  It was suggested, the lack of commitment on behalf of the front office to win (or rather Palmer's perception of the front office's lack of commitment, the lack of a practice facility being just one example) lead to Palmer's trade demand.

I don't think Palmer has ever completely told his side of the story.  I'm sure Marvin won't tell the truth while he is still with the Bengals.  But, there is a behind the scenes story there I would love to read if they are ever willing to talk to you.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 06:22 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Why cant this org build a damn practice bubble, put in a ring of honor, do something in FA and hire an outside coach to come in, clean house and bring in his own staff?

ROH: Long standing thing with Mike. Not changing – though they’ll do something next year for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.

FA: They may have to this year since some of the draft picks have not really improved. But don’t expect a high dollar outsider – but maybe they pay more to keep Zeitler or Kirkpatrick or Whitworth. I can’t argue with this strategy – outside, high priced FA’s rarely pan out.

Coaching: Wouldn’t happen this year.

They’ve won a lot the last five years. Yes, I know, not in the playoffs. But to get to the playoffs you have to win so some things resembling winning have been done.

Not really our job.

I’ve only been here for two seasons so I wouldn’t be able to tell what the 2003 team was doing that is exactly the same as 2016.

I agree, in the sense that they just turned over the majority of the coaching staff this year already, so they’ll give it another year. Yes, the talent evaluators are on the same page with Marvin and the coaching staff but I think if the coaches were to change, the new guy would also be on the same page.
I need to apologize for this rant.  I have just had it with this org.  Just once I would love for this FO to show that they are ALL IN!!!!  Meaning they live and breath to win football games.  Get a bubble, get a ROH, hold people accountable, have enough brain power to realize and self examine and know when they have reached their level of competence and then bring in people who can help them rise above.  It's ALL THE LITTLE THINGS that this org does NOT do that they COULD do in order to put a much better product on the field, to get fans motivated, to give the City something more than failure. 

Yes, we have had some good luck at winning some 1pm games.  That's great!  Now, what is our winning percentage during ML's tenure against: 1. our division and more specifically the Steelers? 2. Playoffs? 3. Primetime games? 4. playoff wins since MB took over and ruined the Bengals? And 5. teams with winning records?  Not as much winning as one would think is there?  I believe with everything I have that winning for MB is a distant second to his checkbook. That is a horrible thing when all the fans want is winning.

Yes, we have had injuries as has every team.  What is NE's record with Brady missing for 1st 4 games, Gronk out for rest of season and other key injuries?  12-2 I believe.  The Bengals just make excuses while teams (that have competent poeple at the helm) just keep winning.

I truly believe as long as ML is HC and MB has ANY input we will NEVER win a playoff. For craps sake, we just put year 26 in the books with not a single playoff win and tied for the record of most consecutive one and dones in NFL history.

I would just love to see reporters (i understand it is your job and you do not want to lose it) start hammering on ML and MB on their 14 yr and 26 yr of failures. 
Reply/Quote
Mickey, as Mike Brown said himself, he is just more patient than other people. I have more divorces (1) than Mike Brown has playoff wins during his quarter century tenure (0). Proved he has more patience than me.
Reply/Quote
Jim

Does management care at all about fan base opinions on Marvin?

How in the world should he return as head coach with his record against Steelers, playoffs, prime time games, and teams with winning record?

When will Marvin be held accountable?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Mickey, as Mike Brown said himself, he is just more patient than other people.  I have more divorces (1) than Mike Brown has playoff wins during his quarter century tenure (0).  Proved he has more patience than me.

Hey, me too (1)!!  lol.
Reply/Quote