Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
How much do they like Westerman? What are the chances they cut Pacman Jones?  Any chance the  Bengals look at center in draft or free agency?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Is possibility that ML might get an extension an early April Fools joke?

MB must HATE winning and the fans. When will this nightmare ownership/coaching end?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
What is your take on his statements? In your opinion, is there a lack of leadership among the players, or an unwillingness of certain guys to step up and assume those roles?

He actually said that first at the end of the year and we followed up with him on our year end Beyond The Stripes. To me, it was like when Marvin told Doc before the last Cleveland game that there wasn’t a dominant player on defense. Believe it or not, Marvin is a smart guy. He knows guys (and the people who talk to the guys) read us, hear him, through the media. I think it’s a bit of a nudge to say hey, the best guys on the team probably need to get outside the comfort zone a bit and say more.

Green did that this year, actually. At first, it was just about calling himself out. But then after the MNF game he was the only player to say Andy had to stop getting hit so much. Also, it might be in preparation for guys like Whitworth and Peko to depart. Or even if they’re back, it won’t be through the length of Atkins and Green’s careers.

James Harrison, pass rush phenom who Bengals didn't use to rush the passer, looked like his playing days were over only to have a resurgence back in Pittsburgh where they utilize his strengths.

Antonio Bryant, Bengals sign a FA WR in a very weak FA WR year with a known knee problem, then they made the stupid mistake of allowing him to practice the first day of training camp instead of starting him on the reserve PUP list

From what I understand, Harrison told the Bengals he was going to retire, which is why they didn’t bring him back. I wasn’t here for that decision and it was a different coordinator, so I’m not sure.

As for Bryant – again I wasn’t here but clearly there was some kind of medical review breakdown there (at least to me).

How much do they like Westerman? What are the chances they cut Pacman Jones?  Any chance the  Bengals look at center in draft or free agency?

I do think they like Westerman, but we probably won’t know how much unless Zeitler leaves for free agency.

As for Jones, I wrote today that they’re undecided on his future. I think they’ll be patient, wait until the see and hear everything that comes from the criminal case. It is odd that the prosecutor kind of put all of this in Goodell’s lap. That’s pretty rare. But they have the luxury of time. The problem for Jones and the Bengals is that these separate videos from the various places he was detained will come out in pieces, rather than in one “news dump” so they will relive this year every time.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/26/cincinnati-bengals-undecided-on-adam-jones-future/97109772/

Is possibility that ML might get an extension an early April Fools joke?

He would like an extension. That’s different than getting one.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 01:46 AM)jowczarski Wrote: James Harrison, pass rush phenom who Bengals didn't use to rush the passer, looked like his playing days were over only to have a resurgence back in Pittsburgh where they utilize his strengths.

Antonio Bryant, Bengals sign a FA WR in a very weak FA WR year with a known knee problem, then they made the stupid mistake of allowing him to practice the first day of training camp instead of starting him on the reserve PUP list

From what I understand, Harrison told the Bengals he was going to retire, which is why they didn’t bring him back. I wasn’t here for that decision and it was a different coordinator, so I’m not sure.

My point was the front office signed a player whose strength is rushing the passer, but the coaches to utilized him according to his strengths.

Why?

Is the front office signing players that don't fit the coaches scheme or are the coaches not utilizing the players strengths?  That's what I meant by disconnect.

Quote:As for Bryant – again I wasn’t here but clearly there was some kind of medical review breakdown there (at least to me).

It was a medical review break down, but there was more to it than just the medical breakdown.

The team didn't want to bring back T.J. Houshmandzadeh for his asking price, but what they spent on Laveranues Coles, Antonio Bryant, and Terrell Owens as T.J.'s replacement was damn near the same amount of money due to poor evaluation of free agents, an apparent medical review breakdown, and mismanagement of Bryant by the front office and the coaches. (I think part of that played into Carson Palmer's decision to leave, but that is just speculation on my part.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by allowing Bryant to practice on the first day of training camp they fully guaranteed his salary for the season.  At least that was the situation to the best of my recollection.  Had they put him on the reserve PUP list to start training camp rather than practice with the team, they could have determined the knee was still a problem and then the team wouldn't be on the hook for his salary.  Either the front office should have communicated that to the coaches or the coaches should have known.  Unless, I'm wrong about practicing Day 1 of training camp guaranteeing his salary in which case I don't have a valid argument about the salary portion.  But, they still should have erred on the side of caution and at least put him on the reserve PUP list just to have him run routes or conduct conditioning drills off to the side just to test the knee the team already knew was a problem.  If you put a player on the reserve PUP to start training camp without practicing they can rejoin the team as soon as they are off the list.  If they practice one time and are put on the PUP list, they can't rejoin the team until Week 6.
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of mock drafts that have the Bengals linked to Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster. Which of these two players do you think the Bengals are more likely to go after if available come draft time? I am also a big Mike Williams fan but can't see them using the #9 pick on a Wide Receiver when the last couple of years it seems they really want to add a speed Wide Receiver opposite of AJ. Thoughts on Williams or have any potential speed guys for the mid-rounds you think they could target?
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim,

Less a question that you could answer, but possibly a lead in for Coach Lewis during his next round of media availability:

I know Coach made a vague statement about the way in which we handle playing time for rookies, 2nd and 3rd year guys, insinuating the possibility that the staff may have a longer leash and give more leeway for young guys to grab playing time over vets, but it was a pretty (I'm sure intentionally) inconclusive statement about that process.

The question I would most like to hear is how he feels or reacts to the idea that both teams in last Sunday's game gave so many opportunities to young players in the biggest spots?

Just by my count, the list of young players (3 years in the league or fewer) who played a lot of (arbitrary term) "important" snaps leading up to and including the Superbowl:

New England:
Malcolm Mitchell ®
James White (3)
Malcolm Brown (2)
Trey Flowers (2)
Kyle Van Noy (3)
Eric Rowe (2)

Atlanta:
Devonta Freeman (3)
Tevin Coleman (2)
Austin Hooper ®
Grady Jarrett (2)
Vic Beasley (2)
Deion Jones ®
Jalen Collins (2)
Brian Poole (2)
Keanu Neal ®

Now, obviously injury plays a part in something like this, no question. Also, I understand that every player is different, especially in the mental aspect of learning a playbook, and I certainly do not have the football philosophy qualifications of Coach Lewis, but is our offense/defense THAT more intricate than what Bill Belichick/Josh McDaniels/Matt Patricia/Dan Quinn and Kyle Shannahan run? So much so that guys the same age as the players above couldn't possibly handle it here?

Would this have any effect on drafting decisions? Maybe skewing slightly away from the restock the shelf/ pure BPA philosophy and more towards players who might have a better shot to help immediately? One could make a very solid argument that drafting with an eye towards the future has hurt the team (grabbing DBs in round one when they have a full complement of starters under contract, drafting guys who fall because of medical issues, double dipping positions that aren't an immediate need for another season or two).

Naturally Coach's job is to win games, but does he sense the frustration from the fanbase about seeing highly drafted players not play, when it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for any other team around the league, even ones who have just as "stacked" a roster/ are more successful than our team? I could only imagine my (and other fans) reaction, after the past few seasons of this (hypothetically) drafting a kid like Foster and then having Maualuga play 75-80% of snaps as the Mike in the base package for the whole season.

I don't mean for this to come off as confrontational towards Coach, I'm just genuinely curious as to his response.

Thanks!
Reply/Quote
Is the front office signing players that don't fit the coaches scheme or are the coaches not utilizing the players strengths?  That's what I meant by disconnect.

Ah. I would say in my couple years on the beat, the guys they’ve drafted and signed (LaFell/Dansby/Hawk) have fit the roles they were brought in for (regardless of success). So while I don’t think they’ve hit on some draft picks or veteran free agents of late, I would say they haven’t made the Harrison-type mistake of a square peg in a round hole of late.

As for Bryant – yeah, I think there was a total breakdown there. As far as day one of camp – if any money was guaranteed on that date it was part of the contract he signed. The team will also often set bonuses around certain dates (like many teams) so if money was owed him that day it was likely negotiated in. You’re right in that the main thing about practicing on day one is it did take away the option of PUP (that was before the ‘IR designated to return,’ right?). I think Bryant can just be chalked up to a mistake on a lot of levels. I was in Chicago when the Bears forgot to check a box on Warrick Holdman’s contract and he became an unrestricted free agent and left and the White Sox traded for the wrong minor leaguer who had the same name of the guy they wanted. It’s just a breakdown of things that happen, I think, because I can’t think of that happening since….

I see a lot of mock drafts that have the Bengals linked to Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster. Which of these two players do you think the Bengals are more likely to go after if available come draft time? I am also a big Mike Williams fan but can't see them using the #9 pick on a Wide Receiver when the last couple of years it seems they really want to add a speed Wide Receiver opposite of AJ. Thoughts on Williams or have any potential speed guys for the mid-rounds you think they could target?

Yes, LB makes too much sense for the Bengals at No. 9 if a premier defensive end pass rusher is no longer there. That’s why you see that. And, people generally view Foster as a top 10 talent. Honestly, it’s hard to say right now. But I do believe they want that impact, rushing defensive end first. After that … could depend on grade. If they feel that top end, speedy receiver is there and he grades out better than the LB on their board, I think they could go that way too. You’re right – they desperately need that Marvin Jones-type speed threat opposite Green. No doubt.
For the rest of the draft – too early for me on that one

The question I would most like to hear is how he feels or reacts to the idea that both teams in last Sunday's game gave so many opportunities to young players in the biggest spots?

Yeah, he’s vague on purpose. I’ll ask him in Indy. That’s when we see him next. Good one.

is our offense/defense THAT more intricate than what Bill Belichick/Josh McDaniels/Matt Patricia/Dan Quinn and Kyle Shannahan run? So much so that guys the same age as the players above couldn't possibly handle it here?

Without having the playbooks in front of me, my best guess of an answer to this is no. In my couple years here, that isn’t a criticism I’ve heard of the young guys to be honest. They tend to not play for other reasons.

Would this have any effect on drafting decisions? 

Yes. They have said since I’ve been here they don’t want dumb players. There is something to that.

does he sense the frustration from the fanbase about seeing highly drafted players not play, when it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for any other team around the league, even ones who have just as "stacked" a roster/ are more successful than our team? 

Short answer? No. And you could definitely imagine that scenario with Maualuga and Foster and not be far off from it happening – only that with a No. 9 pick, that guy has to be ready to play from the first day of camp. So if, let’s say they draft Foster, and he can’t start for three downs, then it’s a miss. In the 20s, I think they felt comfortable drafting depth and potential.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
If a players option is declined like the case with Okung from Denver does he count as a regular free agent or a player that is cut?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If Leonard Fournette and Mike Williams are both sitting in front of the Bengals at #9 which of the 2 do you think the Bengals would lean towards if they were taking one?

Which skill position do you think they are more content with at the moment RB or WR?
Reply/Quote
There is a lot of mystery in how the Bengals' war room operates. Any insight on how the Bengals staff works as a unit to narrow the field down to who they want to target, how much input does everyone get, who has the final say, and what happens when there is a difference of opinion?  Do they look to address certain needs or do they rank 'em and take BPA in most cases? They rarely trade up or down during the draft, when might they consider it?
Reply/Quote
If a players option is declined like the case with Okung from Denver does he count as a regular free agent or a player that is cut?

I think he’s a regular free agent because he, technically, wasn’t under contract for the upcoming season.

If Leonard Fournette and Mike Williams are both sitting in front of the Bengals at #9 which of the 2 do you think the Bengals would lean towards if they were taking one?

Which skill position do you think they are more content with at the moment RB or WR?

Great question. Personal opinion? If those two are the top two on their board at that moment, they’d go with the wideout. But that’s my opinion.

There is a lot of mystery in how the Bengals' war room operates. Any insight on how the Bengals staff works as a unit to narrow the field down to who they want to target, how much input does everyone get, who has the final say, and what happens when there is a difference of opinion?  Do they look to address certain needs or do they rank 'em and take BPA in most cases? They rarely trade up or down during the draft, when might they consider it?

Great question. It’s one they won’t really want to get in, to, either. I can say the coaches have a big say and “standing on the table” does work. See Paul Alexander and Bodine, Ogbuehi. But it has to match up with their grades and value. I know one person really wanted Billings in the third. They went Vigil. Final say is a good one. I know it’s a group effort and there is consensus building. Mike Brown is still pretty involved in this area, less so with the rest of the football operations (i.e. free agent recruiting, final roster decisions, etc.). Duke Tobin wield significant influence here, and Marvin Lewis also has a say. But I do know when it comes to the draft, Tobin and his staff hold more of the cards.

I don't think there is ever a true severe difference of opinion, but in my brief history with the club they truly go BPA. See, all the corners in the first round and Fisher in the second.

Right on about the trading up/down. The last trade up was Bodine. Say what you want about him, he walked in and has started from day one. I think they would do that again if they felt that immediate starter was there to fill a need. Could that happen this year with a guard? Maybe.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

I saw a report that Nick Mangold was approached by at least one team who asked if he would be willing to switch to center. Could the Bengals have been that team? I would think they would love to have him mentor Bodine without taking away reps, and he is a guy who could immediately step in to replace Zeitler if he walks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 10:17 PM)jowczarski Wrote: If a players option is declined like the case with Okung from Denver does he count as a regular free agent or a player that is cut?

I think he’s a regular free agent because he, technically, wasn’t under contract for the upcoming season.

Great question. Personal opinion? If those two are the top two on their board at that moment, they’d go with the wideout. But that’s my opinion.

Great question. It’s one they won’t really want to get in, to, either. I can say the coaches have a big say and “standing on the table” does work. See Paul Alexander and Bodine, Ogbuehi. But it has to match up with their grades and value. I know one person really wanted Billings in the third. They went Vigil. Final say is a good one. I know it’s a group effort and there is consensus building. Mike Brown is still pretty involved in this area, less so with the rest of the football operations (i.e. free agent recruiting, final roster decisions, etc.). Duke Tobin wield significant influence here, and Marvin Lewis also has a say. But I do know when it comes to the draft, Tobin and his staff hold more of the cards.

I don't think there is ever a true severe difference of opinion, but in my brief history with the club they truly go BPA. See, all the corners in the first round and Fisher in the second.

Right on about the trading up/down. The last trade up was Bodine. Say what you want about him, he walked in and has started from day one. I think they would do that again if they felt that immediate starter was there to fill a need. Could that happen this year with a guard? Maybe.

Your opinion: What order do you have Davis, Ross, and Williams in regards to best fit for Bengals to improve their offense?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
@jfkbengals- To be 100% honest, the pro personnel side of the Bengals front office has been hard nut to crack. They play that so, so close to the vest. I wouldn't rule it out, though - he checks a lot of boxes the club likes (cut from his past team, a native, older, good reputation, etc.)

@ochocincos - Personally, Davis. But Ross would be next. Speed guys, good routes too.
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim. I really appreciate that you spend time here with us fans and spend some or your time answering questions for us. Thank you.

With Dumervil being released by Baltimore, I think the Bengals should bring him in. What are your thoughts? He hits all of the checkmarks that Mangold does (Elvis went to Louisville), so he seems to be exactly what the Bengals tend to look for.

Also, why does this team overvalue comp picks? I understand there is more value now that they can be traded, but the draft is much more of a risk than proven players. I'm not asking the team to "win free agency" or to just throw money and bullets around like Pacman at a strip club. However, adding some guys here and there that are coming into their prime that could help put us over the hump seems like a much better plan than an additional 6th round pick. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
@muskiesfan - Dumervil may not be a fit because he hasn't had the production (9 sacks in his last 26 games) and at his size (5-11) he seems to benefit more from the OLB-rush position than with his hand on the ground. So maybe in nickel only rush situations you pull of MJ and put him in? That would be the role. Not sure it's a fit.

Totally get the question on comp picks. Hasn't really yielded great results. I do think signing the occasional 26/27 year old that may still have some upside and athleticism over the 30+ year old wouldn't be the worst thing. Discipline is good, but I'm sure there is room for flexibility. Well, I would think so but they haven't quite shown that in the recent past.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

Do you have any insights into the Dunlap Tweet concerning not seeing "the plan?"
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
@Shady - I think he meant what he said. I said this on our latest BBP (though my audio was messed up & we'll have it fixed going forward) when Paul said how Andy and A.J. were adamant at the Super Bowl that they wanted Whit back. Well of course they do. Vets like their teammates. They've won with them, they want them around. But really what players want isn't really a concern for front office and coaches, nor should it be.

You can maybe try to read into player social messages as "oh, he's unhappy" but trust me - if they offer $90 million in a contract extension he'll love whatever he thinks the plan is. And if they test the market and leave, he won't like it, or think it's better elsewhere.

Until Ogbuehi and Fisher prove themselves on Sundays, they will wonder. That's how the game is. Gotta prove it. But if they draft Fournette or Mixon or whomever to replace Burkhead and he's a stud, they won't care as much. If Andrew Billings/Marcus Hardison/DeShawn Williams/"draft pick" is more effective than Peko, they won't care as much.

For now, anything you hear/see from old guys are sour grapes in my opinion and if they're currently on the team - think of it like a fan - they're wondering how this roster is turning over just as much as you are.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 11:30 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @Shady - I think he meant what he said. I said this on our latest BBP (though my audio was messed up & we'll have it fixed going forward) when Paul said how Andy and A.J. were adamant at the Super Bowl that they wanted Whit back. Well of course they do. Vets like their teammates. They've won with them, they want them around. But really what players want isn't really a concern for front office and coaches, nor should it be.

You can maybe try to read into player social messages as "oh, he's unhappy" but trust me - if they offer $90 million in a contract extension he'll love whatever he thinks the plan is. And if they test the market and leave, he won't like it, or think it's better elsewhere.

Until Ogbuehi and Fisher prove themselves on Sundays, they will wonder. That's how the game is. Gotta prove it. But if they draft Fournette or Mixon or whomever to replace Burkhead and he's a stud, they won't care as much. If Andrew Billings/Marcus Hardison/DeShawn Williams/"draft pick" is more effective than Peko, they won't care as much.

For now, anything you hear/see from old guys are sour grapes in my opinion and if they're currently on the team - think of it like a fan - they're wondering how this roster is turning over just as much as you are.

Impossible. I've been told that players don't have emotions and never think like fans do.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to the raft, it appears they are leaning towards a defensive end.

My question is, who do you believe is their top guy? Barnett, Thomas, or Taco?

I know Taco has the measureables they like, but Barnett has the pedigree. Thomas also has the upside.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote