Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Quote:jowczarski

To me talent always wins out - especially at the back end of the roster when special teams comes into play. Those are the two areas where you can say, going into camp, they are the deepest with the most talent. Leon Hall took a few snaps at safety in OTAs, so it will be curious to see if he spends more time there in camp. If he becomes some sort of swing DB in that regard, that may allow for an additional roster spot at another position.

This is one of the things that interests me the most. I think Hall still has some good years left if we move him around. If he's willing and the staff gets creative, he could be a big part of the backfield and should create some good playmaking opportunities.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 02:00 PM)Benton Wrote: This is one of the things that interests me the most. I think Hall still has some good years left if we move him around. If he's willing and the staff gets creative, he could be a big part of the backfield and should create some good playmaking opportunities.

Same here, I could foresee more turn overs for the defense this season. That would be great and very possible since the front 4 SHOULD generate more pressure!
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 02:00 PM)Benton Wrote: This is one of the things that interests me the most. I think Hall still has some good years left if we move him around. If he's willing and the staff gets creative, he could be a big part of the backfield and should create some good playmaking opportunities.

I'm hoping that Hall actually gets some snaps at S during the regular season. Hopefully he sees it as a move that'll extend his career.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Haven't been on here for a couple of months so it was nice to see a thread like this. Thanks for doing something like this Jim, it is much appreciated. Not going to mention names but some previous writers of the Bengals seemed to hate Bengals fans and was very passive aggressive with fan interaction. Glad to have you as a writer for the Bengals and ready for the season to get started.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Do you feel that AJ Green wants to remain a Bengal for the majority of his career?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 06:44 PM)Bigsmithin Wrote: Do you feel that AJ Green wants to remain a Bengal for the majority of his career?

Honestly, I think A.J. likes being here. I think the Bengals want him to be here. Recent history (Geno Atkins, Andy Dalton, Leon Hall, even Carlos Dunlap) shows the team likes to keep their own after that rookie deal. But of course, it all comes down to the dollar. That said, when both sides are open to it, usually a compromise can be made - especially in the NFL. 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Lot's of offseason buzz about the bengals moving Wilder to fullback or H-back.

How have they been using him so far? Where is he lining up?
Reply/Quote
What are the team's feelings towards Andre Smith? When it comes to re-signing our OTs, we hear about Whit, but nothing on Andre. Is the team content on letting him walk and having Cedric/Fisher take over next season?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Four days of camp and just two questions? Smirk

Wilder to fullback or H-back: How have they been using him so far? Where is he lining up?

He is lining up in that FB/HB spot currently, and he’s running out into patterns and also taking carries, but I think we’ll know more about that overall spot now that they’re into pads and getting closer to that first preseason game. He’s kind of just … there. Hewitt is the clear man at that spot to start.

Feelings towards Andre Smith?
Is the team content on letting him walk and having Cedric/Fisher take over next season?

Great question. Andre told me for this story that he wants to have his best season ever and is feeling as good as he has since his rookie year. Now, I know Bengals fans roll their eyes (or get mad) at that, but let’s face it – he performs like a top 5 right tackle, the better off the team is. And, the more likely the Bengals are to at least offer an additional contract to him. He’s young enough to warrant another 3-5 year deal – but it could be a situation just like the last time … but unlike the last time, if he does indeed put that together, he’ll have a stronger resume to take onto the open market.

Yes, they drafted Fisher & Ogbuehi with an eye toward the future, but a prospect is always unknown. If you feel you know what you have and can keep that asset around, you do it and deal with the other stuff as it comes.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 11:45 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Four days of camp and just two questions?  Smirk

Wilder to fullback or H-back: How have they been using him so far? Where is he lining up?

He is lining up in that FB/HB spot currently, and he’s running out into patterns and also taking carries, but I think we’ll know more about that overall spot now that they’re into pads and getting closer to that first preseason game. He’s kind of just … there. Hewitt is the clear man at that spot to start.

Feelings towards Andre Smith?
Is the team content on letting him walk and having Cedric/Fisher take over next season?

Great question. Andre told me for this story that he wants to have his best season ever and is feeling as good as he has since his rookie year. Now, I know Bengals fans roll their eyes (or get mad) at that, but let’s face it – he performs like a top 5 right tackle, the better off the team is. And, the more likely the Bengals are to at least offer an additional contract to him. He’s young enough to warrant another 3-5 year deal – but it could be a situation just like the last time … but unlike the last time, if he does indeed put that together, he’ll have a stronger resume to take onto the open market.

Yes, they drafted Fisher & Ogbuehi with an eye toward the future, but a prospect is always unknown. If you feel you know what you have and can keep that asset around, you do it and deal with the other stuff as it comes.

Taking from the article, does it look like the backfield is going to be able to press as well (or hopefully more) this season? We were in the top half of the league against the pass last season, but I'm wondering if the personnel changes are going to keep the pressure on, or if we're going to be look at a different approach than last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 11:45 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yes, they drafted Fisher & Ogbuehi with an eye toward the future, but a prospect is always unknown. If you feel you know what you have and can keep that asset around, you do it and deal with the other stuff as it comes.

Last year Dre missed 7 games and Zeitler 4

In 2013 Boling missed 4, Zeitler 5, Whit 2, and Dre 1

That is a lot of games for a back up to play, and we have not always had a lot of luck with our backups.  So it never hurts to have a starter quality OT on the bench. Especially when our starting OT can also play OG.
Reply/Quote
How is Dawson Looking? How is Alford Looking? How is Clarke looking? How is Dennard Looking?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The question that I have is really very simple; Does Geno Atkins indeed, appear to be looking like his old self?

I ask, as I have seen nothing written, on him in particular, lately. For the most part, usually no news, is good news.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reports are that Alford is expected to make the 53 man roster and Kumerow has looked good but not consistent. 

1. How does Alford look to you?   Obviously he's fast - but how are his hands and his routes?  Is he getting separation?
  2. I've heard Kumerow makes circus catches, and the one piece of film I saw he got good separation (against Shaw) till he had to slow down to let the ball catch up with him.  Where is the inconsistency (routes, hands, separation)?
  3. Nothing personal against Tate - who was good at times returning kicks/ punts.   But he would occasionally make a really bad decision back there and he did little to threaten as a receiver once Sanu was our top guy.
  4. Read Hobson's article on the TEs.   Does Lengel have enough receiver skills to justify taking one of the WR spots?
Reply/Quote
Kind of an oddball question, but I believe the success of this defense will lie in the trenches. Paulie G. needs to ensure a rotation, even if that means replacing top talent at times, to prevent wearing down his guys at the end of the season. My question is what are you seeing out of Pat Sims, Brandon Thompson, Devin Still, Hardison, and Peko? It appears one of them wont make the club, but which one? I think they would likely keep 10 here if all 10 are healthy at the start of the season, and the DEs would be Dunlap, MJ, Gilberry, Hunt, and Clarke. I have heard grumblings about Pat Sims conditioning, but the guy is a proven player whereas Still and Hardison have that "P" word. I also think Brandon Thompson, when healthy, is one of the most underrated players on the team.

How do you see this group shaking out? I know it is very early, but is there an early leader board?

And THANK YOU for your follow up and training camp updates. It is very much appreciated.
Reply/Quote
This is awesome Jim, greatly appreciated. Most of my q's have already been addressed, so I'll throw this out there.

How has Terrell Watson looked thus far? Understand he's a long shot of incredible magnitude, but I'd really live to see him at least makes the PS.
Reply/Quote
How has the 4-way battle between Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jones, and Hall been? I've heard some really good things about Jones and Kirkpatrick, some good about Dennard, and nothing good about Hall. In fact, I've heard he's been struggling. Is there a chance Hall will become the 4th CB on the depth chart?
Reply/Quote
Does it look like Hopkins is in the lead for backup IOL with him getting reps at center consistently?
Reply/Quote
One of the off-season signings I really liked was AJ Hawk. How has he looked and what are the chances he cracks the starting lineup if Burfict returns healthy?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Thanks for all the insight Jim !

Is there any feel for who's got the inside line on PR/KR ? Or is it just to early to tell ?
Reply/Quote