Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aubrey Pleasant officially set to interview this week
1998 Raiders

Hired a 35 year old Head Coach with only 3 years of experience as a coordinator (Jon Gruden)
Gruden hired Bill Callahan as his OC...a guy with zero experience as an NFL offensive coordinator
He also hired a DC with only 2 years of NFL experience at the position

Gruden went on to turn the Raiders into one of the best teams in the AFC.

2019 Bengals

Hired a 35 year old Head Coach with only 1 year of experience as an NFL coordinator
Hired Brian Callahan as his OC...a guy with zero experience as an NFL offensive coordinator
Possibly also hiring a guy with no experience in the NFL at the position

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That would give us a very young and inexperienced staff, not a good thing in my opinion. A lesson that Taylor apparently didn’t learn from a McVay.

My baseline opinion of Taylor is dropping by the day. Hopefully that changes when the games start.

If Taylor is going to be the lead voice, he may prefer a DC that has a less dominant personality to him (I have no idea about Pleasant) and he wants to be clear that it is his show, and his ideas, that get installed.  

I am not saying Taylor will hire a wimp, but he has worked with Pleasant any maybe he feels like they mesh well and they share the same ideas, strategically.

Taylor is our man.  Veteran of the NFL with HC experience or not...this guy has been hired and deserves to surround himself with the people he feels gives him the best chance of success.  

The last Bengals coach I heard use the work "attack" was Hue Jackson prior to the 2015 season and he also said that opposing defenses are going to have to worry about every inch of the field.  That was the most potent offense we have had here in over a decade.  Taylor wants to attack.  Give him guys that share his vision and make this team more fun to watch, get more out of his talent than the "defense by France" where you run the other way with your hands in the air, and have a shot at making a run.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It cracks me up to see people ready to bail on Taylor already, and we are still months away from Training Camp, let alone the 1st game..... Sad
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It cracks me up to see people ready to bail on Taylor already, and we are still months away from Training Camp, let alone the 1st game..... Sad

Reminiscent of 30 seconds into first qtr in a game day thread. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
In the world of people who are good at "getting things accomplished", one of the keys to success is for the leader to surround himself with likeminded individuals who will commit to the plans laid before them and work diligently toward executing said plans. It's been stated by another poster that Coach Taylor is simply hiring a bunch of "yes" men, and placing more emphasis on prior relationships than on recorded success at their positions.

I don't agree with that, at all. I feel that for a first time HC to have success, having an already established relationship with his assistants is KEY toward getting off to a good start. Already having a working relationship in place eliminates wasting time having to "get a feel" for each other, as well as vastly decreases the likelihood of potential conflicts of ideas in how plans should be carried out.

As a fan of the Bengals, sure, I would have loved to seen a proven, experience DC like Jack Del Rio jump on board. However, the chemistry must not have been there when they met and interviewed. What good would it have done for JDR to come in, and have some philosophical differences on X's and O's, or personalities that didn't mesh well together that might impede effective communication? Also, as a Bengal fan, I want to see the new HC have the path of least resistance, when it comes to improving the team on the field. If Aubrey Pleasant turns out to be the DC candidate that Coach Taylor feels most comfortable with for the job, then I'll support him 100% in his decision.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 11:31 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Reminiscent of 30 seconds into first qtr in a game day thread. Hilarious

Exactly!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It cracks me up to see people ready to bail on Taylor already, and we are still months away from Training Camp, let alone the 1st game..... Sad

Bengals fan PTSD. Seriously though, Pleasant is viewed much the same way as Vance Joseph was a few years ago, and Vance was a message board darling. People loved that guy. On paper, Pleasant would be a great hire. He spent 6 years with McVay, he's highly regarded, he's a fiery coach and was rumored to be the Rams' DC in waiting behind Wade Phillips.

I value experience, but I'd rather have a good candidate than a washed up guy like Capers just because one has experience. Either way, Taylor does have a former HC for a father-in-law...and I'm sure he'll hear plenty from Mike Sherman. You also have Darrin Simmons, who has been around for 16 years and interviewed for the HC gig himself. 

In short, I get wanting experience, but I don't get giving up on Taylor because we didn't get an experienced DC. Overreaction city.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Not to worry folks, OL coach Jim Turner has 30 years of coaching experience. Darrin Simmons has coached for 22 years. They won't let Zac Taylor fail.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
Hope they get all interviews done and candidates selected this week. This process has felt like an eternity.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 06:30 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: Not to worry folks, OL coach Jim Turner has 30 years of coaching experience.  Darrin Simmons has coached for 22 years.  They won't let Zac Taylor fail.

It's funny, every time I see his full name, I keep thinking of the old Dolphins Pro Bowl linebacker. Then I realized that was Zach Thomas.

Then I wondered why I was associating the name Taylor with the Dolphins and remembered Jason Taylor was on the same team with Zach Thomas.

Doesn't help that Zac Taylor actually coached for the Dolphins at one point.  Gaah
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 11:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's funny, every time I see his full name, I keep thinking of the old Dolphins Pro Bowl linebacker. Then I realized that was Zach Thomas.

Then I wondered why I was associating the name Taylor with the Dolphins and remembered Jason Taylor was on the same team with Zach Thomas.

Doesn't help that Zac Taylor actually coached for the Dolphins at one point.  Gaah

Some guy at a bar the other night asked me if that was the same Zac Taylor that played WR for the Dolphins... You're not alone.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 01:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1998 Raiders

Hired a 35 year old Head Coach with only 3 years of experience as a coordinator (Jon Gruden)
Gruden hired Bill Callahan as his OC...a guy with zero experience as an NFL offensive coordinator

2019 Bengals

Hired a 35 year old Head Coach with only 1 year of experience as an NFL coordinator
Hired Brian Callahan as his OC...a guy with zero experience as an NFL offensive coordinator

I mean I would love to go to the Super Bowl in 4 years, but I don't want to lose said Super Bowl to be as bad as the Raiders became after that.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 11:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's funny, every time I see his full name, I keep thinking of the old Dolphins Pro Bowl linebacker. Then I realized that was Zach Thomas.

I would think that with being in the same division as the Patriots, it would be a tough road for anyone coaching in Miami.  Also, their ownership seems prone to having a quick trigger finger with firing coaches, and some radical moves in free agency.  I think I heard some of the talking heads mentioning that the last coach to last 5 years there was Don Shula, when they were questioning which rookie head coach would last longer, Zac Taylor or Brian Flores?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I really like the sound of Aubrey Pleasant. If we are going to promote a guy into his first DC job, it seems like this guy truly qualifies and could be a homerun hit.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 06:06 PM)Takedown Wrote: We could win Super Bowl 54-60 and there would still be drama and moaning.
I beg to differ. A mere playoff win would be progress. Until then fans have every right to moan about a teams inferior production.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 05:04 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I really like the sound of Aubrey Pleasant. If we are going to promote a guy into his first DC job, it seems like this guy truly qualifies and could be a homerun hit.

I know a couple of women named Aubrey but didn’t know it was a name for a man. All the PC correct people should be thrilled that by the look of it he was raised in a gender neutral household. For a person like me who oozes toxic masculinity I hope this guy is meaner than what I associate his name with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 01:51 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I mean I would love to go to the Super Bowl in 4 years, but I don't want to lose said Super Bowl to be as bad as the Raiders became after that.

Well hopefully we won't decide to trade Taylor away if he turns the team around. I honestly never figured out why the Raiders did that.

They were a bad call away from a Super Bowl trip with Gruden.

(02-10-2019, 01:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that with being in the same division as the Patriots, it would be a tough road for anyone coaching in Miami.  Also, their ownership seems prone to having a quick trigger finger with firing coaches, and some radical moves in free agency.  I think I heard some of the talking heads mentioning that the last coach to last 5 years there was Don Shula, when they were questioning which rookie head coach would last longer, Zac Taylor or Brian Flores?

That entire AFC East division has been a mess during the Patriots run. The Bills and Dolphins completely fell off. The Jets continued being the Jets.
Reply/Quote
When is Aubrey's interview? I know Grantham is today.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 01:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1998 Raiders

2019 Bengals

So, are we then going to trade Taylor to Tampa Bay only to watch them beat us in a Super Bowl? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
are we back in on pleasant or has that ship sailed.
Reply/Quote