Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awful NFL officiating.
Clearly the Bengals fans have a gripe about the fumble call at the end of this week's game.

But you folks certainly weren't the only one that were victim to the best the NFL can have (part time).

Lions had a TD taken away because the officials called what they THOUGHT happened instead of watching what really happened.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/18/12960274/eric-ebron-penalty-lions-titans-referees-lol-drive

Add in the taunting penalty on Pryor in the Ravens game.  Guys jaw at each other and get separated by officials who push them and never throw a flag but threw one there?  Please.

Matt Stafford got hit low and the refs just walked away.

The officials are awful and inconsistent from game to game and crew to crew.  Its almost not worth complaining about anymore because the league does not care.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Yea we seriously need to petition for full time officials. It is to protect the integrity of the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Clearly the Bengals fans have a gripe about the fumble call at the end of this week's game.

But you folks certainly weren't the only one that were victim to the best the NFL can have (part time).

Lions had a TD taken away because the officials called what they THOUGHT happened instead of watching what really happened.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/18/12960274/eric-ebron-penalty-lions-titans-referees-lol-drive

Add in the taunting penalty on Pryor in the Ravens game.  Guys jaw at each other and get separated by officials who push them and never throw a flag but threw one there?  Please.

Matt Stafford got hit low and the refs just walked away.

The officials are awful and inconsistent from game to game and crew to crew.  Its almost not worth complaining about anymore because the league does not care.

No argument here.

P.S. How come Pitt's never on the wrong side of bad officiating? Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:30 PM)treee Wrote: Yea we seriously need to petition for full time officials. It is to protect the integrity of the game.

Honest question....how will employing full time officials change things?

I hear this argument all of the time, but IMO it's not about time on the job. It's about asking guys to make snap decisions on actions that are taking place at lightning speed by guys who are older and under the microscope of 1,000 cameras at 10,000 angles in slow motion. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:44 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Honest question....how will employing full time officials change things?

I hear this argument all of the time, but IMO it's not about time on the job. It's about asking guys to make snap decisions on actions that are taking place at lightning speed by guys who are older and under the microscope of 1,000 cameras at 10,000 angles in slow motion. 

The same way anyone gets better, with repetition and more time in the classroom/film room. The more time they spend seeing plays, learning the rule book, the better they should be. 

With VR the way it is today...slap some goggles on them and let them get on it hour after hour during the off season.

Better than the system they have now.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:44 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Honest question....how will employing full time officials change things?

Well, for one thing the most improvement would come from their studies in the offseason. A properly organized officiating schedule would include putting 30-40 hours a week during the whole offseason, laboriously reviewing all 500+ games and taking notes as well as discussing where officiating went wrong, could improve, ect. It is something that truly could be made in to world class refereeing and there is plenty of money to create it as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The same way anyone gets better, with repetition and more time in the classroom/film room. The more time they spend seeing plays, learning the rule book, the better they should be. 

With VR the way it is today...slap some goggles on them and let them get on it hour after hour during the off season.

Repetition? You can't simulate the speed of an NFL game without actually being in one. And classroom/film time only goes so far. I think that consistency is a problem but I don't know how you correct that without being 100% strict all of the time. If you did that and took the judgement aspect out of it, the game would become bogged down and unwatchable from so many penalties. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The same way anyone gets better, with repetition and more time in the classroom/film room. The more time they spend seeing plays, learning the rule book, the better they should be. 

(09-18-2016, 09:49 PM)treee Wrote: Well, for one thing the most improvement would come from their studies in the offseason. A properly organized officiating schedule would include putting 30-40 hours a week during the whole offseason, laboriously reviewing all 500+ games and taking notes as well as discussing where officiating went wrong, could improve, ect. It is something that truly could be made in to world class refereeing and there is plenty of money to create it as well.

Totally agree.

Everyone in the same room, or a west coast/east coast grouping allows for actual instruction.  Not sending videos and a phone call.

Plus they could PHYSICALLY train to keep up with the players.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:49 PM)treee Wrote: Well, for one thing the most improvement would come from their studies in the offseason. A properly organized officiating schedule would include putting 30-40 hours a week during the whole offseason, laboriously reviewing all 500+ games and taking notes as well as discussing where officiating went wrong, could improve, ect. It is something that truly could be made in to world class refereeing and there is plenty of money to create it as well.

Good point, but I think that a lot of it boils down to judgement. If you take that away, well see above post ^^^^
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:52 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Repetition? You can't simulate the speed of an NFL game without actually being in one. And classroom/film time only goes so far. I think that consistency is a problem but I don't know how you correct that without being 100% strict all of the time. If you did that and took the judgement aspect out of it, the game would become bogged down and unwatchable from so many penalties. 

As opposed to unwatchable because the refs - not the players - dictate the outcome.

Sure buddy.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:52 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Repetition? You can't simulate the speed of an NFL game without actually being in one. 

Yes you can. Virtual Reality/Simulators are a thing and it could be used to put officials in the middle of nfl action without them having to screw up a real game. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Totally agree.

Everyone in the same room, or a west coast/east coast grouping allows for actual instruction.  Not sending videos and a phone call.

Plus they could PHYSICALLY train to keep up with the players.

Yup. That's a big one right there. 

If you're not able to keep up with the action, you shouldn't be out there.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:56 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: As opposed to unwatchable because the refs - not the players - dictate the outcome.

Sure buddy.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-kneegate?pid=266838#pid266838
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. That's a big one right there. 

If you're not able to keep up with the action, you shouldn't be out there.

Like I said above, these guys are older. Even the best conditioned can't keep up. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:00 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Like I said above, these guys are older. Even the best conditioned can't keep up. 

Ok. I have it figured out.

You don't realize it, but you want the status quo because the Steelers always seem to benefit from it.

I don't know why it took me so long to see it. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ok. I have it figured out.

You don't realize it, but you want the status quo because the Steelers always seem to benefit from it.

I don't know why it took me so long to see it. Mellow

No, I'm a realist. There's a human element involved with officiating in ALL sports. It will never be 100% perfect. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:04 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: No, I'm a realist. There's a human element involved with officiating in ALL sports. It will never be 100% perfect. 

You're not as real a realist as you believe you are. 

Reply/Quote
Calls won't be correct until they are made (or at least corrected) by refs watching on tv. Even that doesn't eliminate bad judgement.

It would help if the rules were written in a way that they can be understood and applied consistently.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm going to notice and comment more when it's my team, but that doesn't mean I don't see it everywhere. It's horrible, and it's obvious the NFL doesn't care. I mean everyone has to wait and see if something is a catch because nobody knows what in the hell constitutes one anymore. How is that possible?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:58 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-kneegate?pid=266838#pid266838

Right - because the refs didn't dictate the end of the Cleveland game either.

I'm not upset at the game today because I called it from beginning to end. Step back and look around the league and maybe you can see how often the refs do this shit to everyone - Steelers included.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote