Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awful NFL officiating.
(09-19-2016, 10:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: LOL!!!!

You're actually going back to THE REPLACEMENT REFS to get your examples?

And the best you can do for Sunday was one potential "spear" (let's just forget that the definition of a spear requires a launch and Dunlap did not launch). It is possibly roughing the passer, that I could see. For a REAL example of spearing see Mike Mitchell launching off his feet leading with his helmet at AJ Green - only a duck by AJ prevented injury:

https://twitter.com/xmasape/status/777571471765954560/photo/1

This should have been an immediate flag for flagrant personal foul as the obvious intent (since his hands were NOT extended to try to grab the ball or anything) was spearing. 

Meanwhile there were multiple flagrant no calls favoring the Steelers, a TD wrongly ruled incomplete and a really dumb fumble call. 

Sorry, but finding four "examples" over 11 years is not proof of any kind that there is no bias. Not when other teams can point to it happening multiple times flagrantly in a single game. 

Ha ha!
I was going to make some sarcastic reply about issuing penalties based on "intent" and review the LONE Bengals touchdown and claim that it should have been called back due to one of the linemen intending to hold a Steelers defender when I SAW AN ACTUAL HOLD on the play that wasn't called. Check out Whitworths bear hug of James Harrison that didn't draw a flag. You delusional homers are soooo easy....

https://youtu.be/_h7wR-aQR78?t=6856

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:49 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Ha ha!
I was going to make some sarcastic reply about issuing penalties based on "intent" and review the LONE Bengals touchdown and claim that it should have been called back due to one of the linemen intending to hold a Steelers defender when I SAW AN ACTUAL HOLD on the play that wasn't called. Check out Whitworths bear hug of James Harrison that didn't draw a flag. You delusional homers are soooo easy....

https://youtu.be/_h7wR-aQR78?t=6856

This must be manipulated in some way.  Bengals fans have repeatedly said their O-line didn't even have to hold our D-line was so bad.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: This must be manipulated in some way.  Bengals fans have repeatedly said their O-line didn't even have to hold our D-line was so bad.   Ninja

Goodell personally edited the video.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:15 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Goodell personally edited the video.

Equally impossible!  the world knows Goodell is a moron!  This must be the work of the illuminati!
Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 06:50 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I honestly think they've been consistently atrocious in our series for years now. It just never seems a well officiated game. It certainly never seems as well officiated as most of the other games we play.

Honest question (and honestly not a prelude to some smack talk), what do Steelers fans think of the officiating in the games with the Bengals? Worse/Better/Of Equal quality to the rest of their schedule?

I can't speak for all Steeler fans, but I think it is about the same--except that the hatred between the Bengals and Steelers generates exceptional intensity, which sets up exceptional situations--like the ending of the last playoff game. The fact that both are good teams means that games CAN be decided by a call.  If I were a ref, I would NOT want to ref a Bengals/Steelers game, not the next one, and certainly not another playoff game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2  I thought I heard one of the announcers make the statement: "The league notified the game Officials b4 the game to be aware of the play on the field". I don't know if this was in reference to the team players, or just  to tell the refs to get their head outta their @#$. I hope the team can tighten up their jock straps, quit making excuses, and realize as Yogi once said "It ain't over till it's over"!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 03:20 PM)Dill Wrote: I can't speak for all Steeler fans, but I think it is about the same--except that the hatred between the Bengals and Steelers generates exceptional intensity, which sets up exceptional situations--like the ending of the last playoff game. The fact that both are good teams means that games CAN be decided by a call.  If I were a ref, I would NOT want to ref a Bengals/Steelers game, not the next one, and certainly not another playoff game.

A very fair post indeed. Unfortunately I doubt the fumble horsecrap has helped much, but knowing Marvin's teams, I doubt we come out kicking and screaming next game anyway.

Although Vontaze is back. Chances are he puts multiple Steelers on IR and then loses us the game by running the field and giving up a last minute safety off a game-sealing INT. Like he was very close to freakin doing in that playoff game...
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:44 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Honest question....how will employing full time officials change things?

I hear this argument all of the time, but IMO it's not about time on the job. It's about asking guys to make snap decisions on actions that are taking place at lightning speed by guys who are older and under the microscope of 1,000 cameras at 10,000 angles in slow motion. 

You're making the very dangerous assumption that the refs now actually know the rules of the game.

They don't.

Having full time refs would mean they can actually take some time to sit down and read a rule book or 2.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 08:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You're making the very dangerous assumption that the refs now actually know the rules of the game.

They don't.

Having full time refs would mean they can actually take some time to sit down and read a rule book or 2.

That would help, but it would also be good if they simplified the thing. There are too many specific conditions and subjective definitions that will create controversy no matter how much time they get to study it.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 08:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You're making the very dangerous assumption that the refs now actually know the rules of the game.

They don't.

(09-22-2016, 08:29 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: That would help, but it would also be good if they simplified the thing.  There are too many specific conditions and subjective definitions that will create controversy no matter how much time they get to study it.

You're both right.

It's like cramming for a test and having all week to study.  These guys, no matter how smart and good they are, have FULL TIME JOBS off the field.  You don't think that isn't a distraction?  That makes it much harder to focus on your PART TIME job officiating a BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY.

And industry that want you to make judgement calls based on the rules.

The Lions game is best example.  WR makes a great move, officials call it a penalty because they ASSUME it happened.

Replay in the booth should be able to correct an obvious mistake like that but everyone says the officials will get gun shy about making calls if they are being corrected.  What a load of crap.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: You're both right.

It's like cramming for a test and having all week to study.  These guys, no matter how smart and good they are, have FULL TIME JOBS off the field.  You don't think that isn't a distraction?  That makes it much harder to focus on your PART TIME job officiating a BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY.

The Lions game is best example.  WR makes a great move, officials call it a penalty because they ASSUME it happened.

Replay in the booth should be able to correct an obvious mistake like that but everyone says the officials will get gun shy about making calls if they are being corrected.  What a load of crap.  

You should be able to replay blows to the head as well.  How many times do they throw a flag because it looks like they might have hit the guy in the head or neck area?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You should be able to replay blows to the head as well.  How many times do they throw a flag because it looks like they might have hit the guy in the head or neck area?

I'd be for that.  I don't know if you can watch every play and call it every time it is NOT called.  But if it is called and wrong it should be looked at and corrected.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd be for that.  I don't know if you can watch every play and call it every time it is NOT called.  But if it is called and wrong it should be looked at and corrected.

Yeah just the ones that are called, and it could just be the replay booth signalling down that they may want to look at it, like they do within two minutes of the half.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Alright this has gotten too civil.

I hope the refs who regularly suckle on Ben's pathetic excuse of a penis all get crotch rot in their mouths so they can look like the mongoloid wastes of genetic material that make up the Steelers fan base.

**** your black and yellow you bunch of spoiled cocktards.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Sorry, I did not take the time to read the thread, but here is my take. The refs suck, they suck every week so no surprises for me. I expect them to suck. As far as the outcome, no doubt they tilt the balance in a close game and often do. But, the Steelers were the better team last week winning the LOS battle and bending and not breaking on defense shutting us down in the redzone.

I do understand why a lot of Bengals fans feel the Bengals always get the short end of the stick in our match ups and it seems the NFL has to apology or clarify rules already in place after each game and those calls seems to always benefit the Steelers. In the end though, more plays have to be made because we know the refs are just plain God awful.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: You're both right.

Good point. I knew that but never considered its impact on their refereeing performance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 08:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Having full time refs would mean they can actually take some time to sit down and read a rule book or 2.

Right, one rule book for the Steelers and the other one for everyone else.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:37 PM)Vlad Wrote: Right, one rule book for the Steelers and the other one for everyone else.

Well they already know the rule book for the Steelers.  If they were full time, then they could bone up on the one for the rest of the league.

Reply/Quote