Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS are on The Clock (The Choices)
DEBATE

ANDREW BILLINGS/ NT

Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

JOSH DOCTSON/  WR

Highly productive receiver with good height but in need of more functional mass for the NFL game. Doctson must prove he can play against press coverage if he is to reach his potential, but his ability to go up and win when the ball is in the air will endear him to quarterbacks. Scouts don't expect to be wowed by his 40 ­time, but most believe he'll be a solid No. 2 receiver in the league.

KEVIN DODD/ DE

The arrow is pointed up for Dodd who finished the season with a streak of five consecutive games with a sack. Dodd already looks the part of an NFL defensive end and his desire to make plays coupled with his physical traits and talent should have him shooting up draft boards. His lack of college snaps could preclude him from being "pro­ ready", but his instincts and football intelligence should expedite the learning process.

WILLIAM JACKSON III/ CB

Tall cornerbacks with length who can run and play the football are usually in high demand and that could be the case for Jackson as well. While he has the traits for the position, the league is turning into small and fast or big and strong at the receiver spot and handling those two elements could take a year or two for him to improve in before he becomes a full-­time starter.

DEBATE THESE. THE POLL WILL COME LATER
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RYAN KELLY/ C

Tenacious leader and three-­year starter for highly successful Alabama program that puts a heavy emphasis on physical and mental toughness. Kelly might not be a combine warrior, but when the pads are strapped, he plays with enough strength and athleticism to thrive in both gap and zone running schemes. While he could use more mass on his frame, Kelly has the necessary skill­ set and football intelligence to step in and challenge for a starting position right away.

DARRON LEE/ LB

Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.

CODY WHITEHAIR/ OG

With his combination of functional strength and body control, Whitehair might be one of the safest offensive linemen in the entire draft. He will almost assuredly be bumped inside to guard, but could be considered at center as well. He has the confidence and talent to start right away and his run blocking should improve as he gets more comfortable firing out from a three-­point stance. Whitehair has the ability to be a very good starter with a ceiling that could reach the all-pro level.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 06:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DEBATE

ANDREW BILLINGS/ NT

Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

JOSH DOCTSON/  WR

Highly productive receiver with good height but in need of more functional mass for the NFL game. Doctson must prove he can play against press coverage if he is to reach his potential, but his ability to go up and win when the ball is in the air will endear him to quarterbacks. Scouts don't expect to be wowed by his 40 ­time, but most believe he'll be a solid No. 2 receiver in the league.

KEVIN DODD/ DE

The arrow is pointed up for Dodd who finished the season with a streak of five consecutive games with a sack. Dodd already looks the part of an NFL defensive end and his desire to make plays coupled with his physical traits and talent should have him shooting up draft boards. His lack of college snaps could preclude him from being "pro­ ready", but his instincts and football intelligence should expedite the learning process.

WILLIAM JACKSON III/ CB

Tall cornerbacks with length who can run and play the football are usually in high demand and that could be the case for Jackson as well. While he has the traits for the position, the league is turning into small and fast or big and strong at the receiver spot and handling those two elements could take a year or two for him to improve in before he becomes a full-­time starter.

DT class is very deep this year.  William Jackson III has all the makings of a legit # 1 CB and with dre kirk underachieving and dennard still unproven of sorts this pick makes perfect sense to me. Draft a DT in the first 4 rounds this year and they'll probably go after LB next year or very late/UDFA this year.
Reply/Quote
Look we need Wide receivers I get that, but how much do you invest into a guy who is going to be a 4th receiving option or maybe 5th option this year ? We have talent at CB that can play and backup. We have two good starting Defensive ends who work well in our system and guys developing behind them, but the need is definitely there. Center/guard is a position of need.

All of that said Billings is just a total standout to me. His size/height/power gives him a rare leverage and teamed with atkins could be a total nightmare for quarterbacks. He plays well against the run and the potential is to much to pass on. Rankins/Butler/Billings are my top 3 Dt's and I would love to see us draft any of them. I think we can find receivers in 2-5 that will come in and play well for us just like Jones/Sanu did.

Some of the things that stood out to me when watching Billings on tape is his ability to change directions, his hands when fighting blocks, and his speed. In one clip I saw him run down a ball carrier from behind on the sideline. Thats the kinda effort I want to see.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I really like Dodd's instincts and tenacity.
But, are we really hurting that bad at DE ?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 09:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I really like Dodd's instincts and tenacity.
But, are we really hurting that bad at DE ?

Yes.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 06:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DEBATE

ANDREW BILLINGS/ NT

JOSH DOCTSON/  WR

KEVIN DODD/ DE

WILLIAM JACKSON III/ CB

You need a QB. You need to protect your QB. You need to get after the other team's QB.

Bronco's pass rush > Panther's pass protection = Super Bowl victory

I'd be happy with any of those players and they all make sense, but I would pick Dodd for the above reasons. MJ has had one good year and is over valued by a the fans. Who do we really have behind him to rotate in to rush the passer?

Billings would make sense to learn from Peko for a year.

The Bengals already have spent two first round picks on Kirkpatrick and Dennard. I would like to see the wealth spread around a bit more on the defense.

They need a receiver opposite AJ, but they can find a Houshyourmomma type receiver outside the first round.
Reply/Quote
well my first choice michael thomas is not an option for some reason. But my second choice josh doctson is. Aj, Lafell, alford, tate, kumerow. That depth chart should end the debate. But i know it wont.

Andy was having the best season of his career because the later round picks we had at WR were finally on the field together and playing to their potential. They both got paid big bucks. One to help replace megatron the other to take heat off of one of the best receivers in the game. Losing both is a significant blow.

Lafell isnt the answer. Veteran stopgap. He allows us to not have to count on a rookie or one of our bottom of the roster guys early on. He isnt stopping anybody from doubling AJ.

Remember the 2014 season. Who were we starting at WR in the playoffs? Well our WR depth is worse now than it was in 2014.

AJ is not invincible. If he has to miss some time our offense would be putrid. This is a passing league. All the rules are set up for teams to have success passing the ball. It would be stupid to not capitalize on that having one of the worst WR corps in the league.

This is a top heavy WR class imo. After the first 6-7 it just gets ugly. There has been talk Doctson may have jumped Treadwell as the best WR in this class. Big, plenty of speed, and can make highlight reel catches all day. Nobody in this class goes and gets it like he does. He needs to refine his route running and he will be good to go. Not right away. But towards the end of the year when we face the head hunting stoolers Doctson could fill the #1 WR roll should mitchell pull off one of his patented cheap shots and concuss AJ.

We are not the only ones in need of a WR. Shepard michael thomas snd probably even braxton will be gone by our second round pick. Get while the getting is good. Fill the glaring need. And come 2017 when everybody has the bengals in their top 5 WR tandems we will all be thankful we went WR in 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 10:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You need a QB. You need to protect your QB. You need to get after the other team's QB.

Bronco's pass rush > Panther's pass protection = Super Bowl victory

I'd be happy with any of those players and they all make sense, but I would pick Dodd for the above reasons. MJ has had one good year and is over valued by a the fans. Who do we really have behind him to rotate in to rush the passer?

Billings would make sense to learn from Peko for a year.

The Bengals already have spent two first round picks on Kirkpatrick and Dennard. I would like to see the wealth spread around a bit more on the defense.

They need a receiver opposite AJ, but they can find a Houshyourmomma type receiver outside the first round.
 What about Dodd in 1 and Kenny Clark in 2 and then Garrett in 3 and a CB in 4 and another WR late?
Reply/Quote
Billings has the best potential from the available players listed. We can get him on the cheap until he's just 26. Meanwhile, Doctson is already close to that mark.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 10:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: well my first choice michael thomas is not an option for some reason

It's because I created a thread and asked folks for suggestions and Doctson got the most support. A few of my first choices didn't make the final cut.  

Reply/Quote
Billings or Doctson either one would be fine. If the Bengals are smart and invest in those two positions in the first two rounds I don't care which way they go. Give me a combo of Billings and Shepherd or Boyd or give me a combo with Doctson or Michael Thomas and Kenny Clark and I would be happy either way.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Billings or Doctson either one would be fine. If they Bengals are smart and invest in those two positions in the first two rounds I don't care which way they go. Give me a combo of Billings and Shepherd or Boyd or give me a combo with Doctson or Michael Thomas and Kenny Clark and I would be happy either way.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 12:15 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Billings or Doctson either one would be fine. If they Bengals are smart and invest in those two positions in the first two rounds I don't care which way they go. Give me a combo of Billings and Shepherd or Boyd or give me a combo with Doctson or Michael Thomas and Kenny Clark and I would be happy either way.

Yep either of those two should be the choice. Can't go wrong either way
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 08:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: Look we need Wide receivers I get that, but how much do you invest into a guy who is going to be a 4th receiving option or maybe 5th option this year ?  We have talent at CB that can play and backup.   We have two good starting Defensive ends who work well in our system and guys developing behind them, but the need is definitely there.  Center/guard is a position of need.

All of that said Billings is just a total standout to me.  His size/height/power gives him a rare leverage and teamed with atkins could be a total nightmare for quarterbacks.  He plays well against the run and the potential is to much to pass on.  Rankins/Butler/Billings are my top 3 Dt's and I would love to see us draft any of them.  I think we can find receivers in 2-5 that will come in and play well for us just like Jones/Sanu did.

Some of the things that stood out to me when watching Billings on tape is his ability to change directions, his hands when fighting blocks, and his speed.  In one clip I saw him run down a ball carrier from behind on the sideline.  Thats the kinda effort I want to see.

I think you sold Billings better than a lot of us could have.  "Beast" gets tossed around like "epic" in the movie world, but Billings is truly a beast to be feared in the middle.  Eventually he'd either free up Geno even more, get into the backfield or dominate together.  The last few years I've been guilty of hyping a few DT's, but this guy is someone I wouldn't pass on.  I like the logic of taking Jackson for the sake of having depth at DT and WR later, but I don't see enough in him to pass on Billings.  You take BPA, but if this is the BPA list it's Billings.
Reply/Quote
Billings, Doctson, or Lee for sure, can't go wrong with any of the 3 in my opinion. I'll go with Billings here, I think he and Geno would be the best DT tandom in the league very quickly. Hopefully a good WR slides to us in the second, or if there's starting to be a run on them and one of our guys is still there we move up.
Reply/Quote
Josh Docston is a great overall receiver. When looking at his numbers this season when it comes to contested balls and such, Docston ranks pretty high. He fights for the ball and is a very polished wide receiver. He caught 20 of 37 contested balls, which is over 50% and one of the very few receivers to do so. His route running is very underrated, and he has very nimble feet. He also creates separation and was a beast in the 10-19 yards down the field area. He caught 83% of passes thrown his way in that field. For comparison, Coleman caught 56% and Treadwell 54%. Docston has a very similar playing style to that of DeAndre Hopkins when you look at it and even compare tape. Docston's route running sets him apart from every other receiver in this draft and it's not even close. Throw in his reliable hands and the Bengals could wind up with an even better duo that AJ Green and Marvin Jones. Docston has talent. He's not elite in every aspect by any means, but he's very good at many and has very few flaws.

Andrew Billings is such an intriguing prospect because he hasn't even come close to his ceiling it appears. He doesn't have the best size, but his strength sets him apart. Great bull rush and attacks the center and guard with a ton of force. Ability to push anyone back and has leverage when need be. Biggest strength is power at the point of attack, where a gap or two gap. He ranked 19th against the run the past two years and played 765 snaps. Holds a never ending motor and continues to fight. Will have to work on hand usage and not keeping his head down, but he has a lot of upside. Will also have to get better with shedding blocks, but he's a very disruptive played and can fill holes rather quickly just by moving his guy back. In Baylor they did a lot of slanting with him, and that's not his strength, but he still produced at a high level nonetheless. Has a ton of natural strength and if his technique is coached up and catches up with his strength, Billings could be one of the toughest defensive tackles in the NFL.

Those are the two that have my vote moving forward. I could give some insight to a few others (haven't watched much of Whitehair and Kelly so those wouldn't be as good). But in the end, my vote goes for both Docston and Billings. Far too good and they hit needs.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's because I created a thread and asked folks for suggestions and Doctson got the most support. A few of my first choices didn't make the final cut.  

Drunk and didnt count. But Michael Thomas showed up more than your boy whitehair on my quick glance over.

One WR and multiple interior OL? Really? We have a glaring need. Rumor is Thomas is our #1 WR. No reason to not include him.

Homer?#!?
Reply/Quote
A shiny new receiver would be nice but I'm all for drafting stud offensive and defensive line early. That's where the game is won.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 07:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Drunk and didnt count. But Michael Thomas showed up more than your boy whitehair on my quick glance over.

One WR and multiple interior OL? Really? We have a glaring need. Rumor is Thomas is our #1 WR. No reason to not include him.

Homer?#!?

I limited it to one per position. If i would have listed Thomas and Doctson they may have split the WR vote. Believe me it's nothing personal, as I would take K. Fuller over Jackson III, W. Fuller over Doctson, Ogbah over Dodd and of the prospects listed Whitehair would be about my 3rd choice after Billings,  Doctson

Reply/Quote