Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Tee Higgins Requests Trade
(03-11-2024, 01:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That $21.8m gets hit with local, state, and federal taxes. 

Sauce Gardner was in the news when he signed his $33.45m rookie deal, and it came out he'd probably only get $17.4m of that after all the various taxes, or 52%.

You need at least $3m over a lifetime for a basic middle class life (which lets be honest, NFL players aren't going to go to a $70k/yr lifestyle) and even that's only quickly increasing with inflation. The ~$13m (we have some less taxes than NY/NJ) that Tee would see out of that isn't enough for his grandchildren to have wealth, so it wouldn't be generational but just a generation.

2% dividend on 13m is over 200k a year to do nothing. Not to mention the appreciation of the underlying asset, which would appreciate with inflation garnering a higher dividend. 13 million can easily be generational wealth if you’re not an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:01 AM)ah5 Wrote: 2% dividend on 13m is over 200k a year to do nothing. Not to mention the appreciation of the underlying asset, which would appreciate with inflation garnering a higher dividend. 13 million can easily be generational wealth if you’re not an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a buddy who played 8 years in the league and made about $15 million before taxes and he isn’t hurting haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:58 PM)PDub80 Wrote: It's within his right as a player to not sign it. No question.... But he'll lose a shit load of game checks, right? Worth it or not is up to him.

It all comes down to professionalism. If he goes out there and plays, as a professional, he would give it his all and not cheat the Bengals or the paying fans. The Bengals aren't cheating Tee Higgins in any way. shape, or form.

Investment wise, Higgins could park his $12M post tax earnings in a safe, basic fund and have $35-40mill by the time he's in his 50s. That's assuming he never makes another NFL dollar after this contract.... which is highly unlikely.

Regardless, I hope he AND the Bengals get a desired outcome they're both happy with!

Tee will play. If he doesn’t play, he won’t recoup the missed$22m on the next deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:06 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Tee will play. If he doesn’t play, he won’t recoup the missed$22m on the next deal.

hope he plays but for another team... load up with the picks and let someone i wants to be traded go
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we all assume Chase will be signed long-term. But, he's waiting for Jefferson to sign a deal. What if Jefferson gets like $38 million a year or some crazy number and Chase wants $40. I just made those numbers up, but it's going to get interesting with the cap going up.

Bengals fans in 2023 - Not sure I want $100 million tied up in 3 offensive players.

Bengals fans in 2024 - Welp, guess we locked up $100 million in 2 offensive players.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not hindsight if I spent all last offseason saying it.

The majority of players also just care about the contract.

Wilkins didn't go to the Raiders to win a SB. Jefferson wouldn't re-sign with the Vikings for a SB. People sign with the Bears, the Patriots, etc.

I'd imagine a lot of players play for the contract and winning the SB is an awesome bonus.  You can take a discount of millions of dollars to go to a team that can win it all and then a tiny ligament in your QBs finger gets bent out of shape and you're SOL.  So much is left up to fate that you may as well take the money.

Also, while we are good now, if people didn't sign with teams for the money and not simply to win it all we'd have spent decades without a roster.
Reply/Quote
Seeing rumors that the Bengals and Panthers were in talks much of the day regarding Higgins. Bengals want both of Carolinas 2nd round picks, and the Panthers want to offer what they got for Burns...2nd and 5th. Anyone else seen this?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seeing rumors that the Bengals and Panthers were in talks much of the day regarding Higgins. Bengals want both of Carolinas 2nd round picks, and the Panthers want to offer what they got for Burns...2nd and 5th. Anyone else seen this?

The other thing is, we'd have boatloads of cap. Close to $55-$60 mil. 

We could sign 2 or even 3 bigger ticket guys. 

Reader, Armstead, Fuller, an OT (Brown/Smith), a WR, etc. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seeing rumors that the Bengals and Panthers were in talks much of the day regarding Higgins. Bengals want both of Carolinas 2nd round picks, and the Panthers want to offer what they got for Burns...2nd and 5th. Anyone else seen this?

I saw it. If those are the real starting positions then the compromise position is likely a 2 and a 3. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:13 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The other thing is, we'd have boatloads of cap. Close to $55-$60 mil. 

We could sign 2 or even 3 bigger ticket guys. 

Reader, Armstead, Fuller, an OT (Brown/Smith), a WR, etc. 

Yes, absolutely. I'm hoping this is a nearly done deal. It would help with a lot of areas. 

(03-12-2024, 02:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: I saw it. If those are the real starting positions then the compromise position is likely a 2 and a 3. 

That's what I'm thinking,  or possibly a 2 and a 4.  I hope there's fire with this smoke.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: I saw it. If those are the real starting positions then the compromise position is likely a 2 and a 3. 

Hope so. 
Reply/Quote

The Panthers have the 1st and 7th pick in the 2nd round. I would honestly take either of those and a 5th (they have the 7th pick in the 5th) in a heartbeat.

The sooner you do it, the sooner you can spend Tee's freed up $21.8m in this FA period, too. So at a certain point haggling for a slightly better tack-on pick might cost you more in available talent you can add to your team with that $21.8m than the pick increase was worth.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hold out for both of Carolina's picks in the 2nd. If they want to give Young any hope of having a much better year 2, Tee could help that cause.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Panthers have the 1st and 7th pick in the 2nd round. I would honestly take either of those and a 5th (they have the 7th pick in the 5th) in a heartbeat.

The sooner you do it, the sooner you can spend Tee's freed up $21.8m in this FA period, too. So at a certain point haggling for a slightly better tack-on pick might cost you more in available talent you can add to your team with that $21.8m than the pick increase was worth.

I agree....if they won't budge, just pull the trigger. Sure, I'd like it to be both of those 2nds, but they need to get some value before it's too late. As you noted, it's not that bad of an offer. 

Reply/Quote
Should have just accepted the one 2nd from the Panthers for Tee rather than trying to push for more.

They traded for Diontae Johnson, so those talks are probably dead now.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Should have just accepted the one 2nd from the Panthers for Tee rather than trying to push for more.

I read a blurb this morning talking about there never even was any actual trade talks with Carolina going on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I read a blurb this morning talking about there never even was any actual trade talks with Carolina going on.

Lots of smoke around this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Should have just accepted the one 2nd from the Panthers for Tee rather than trying to push for more.

The Titans traded AJ Brown for the 18th overall pick in the draft.
AJ Brown didn't do much with the Titans. He didn't really start to ball out until he went to Philly.

This is a pretty similar situation.
The Titans drafted a WR (with the aquired pick) that hasn't really panned out.

I don't blame the Bengals for holding out for more value.
Having Tee is more valuable in their eyes than having a late 1st round pick because of what he can do for the team on the field.
Most would think the 18th overall pick would be great value for Tee right now. 
What will we think if he goes off like AJ Brown did?
He has that potential.
He's never been fully utilized by the coaches, nor has Chase.
This offense should be much more explosive than it is.
It should get to that point (of explosiveness similar to Philly) and then we should be able to talk about trading Tee for much more.

Maybe holding on to him isn't the worst move.
They hit on the draft pick. 
The Bengals don't hit on all of their draft picks.
Maybe it makes sense to try to keep him for a little while.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:55 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The Titans traded AJ Brown for the 18th overall pick in the draft.
AJ Brown didn't do much with the Titans. He didn't really start to ball out until he went to Philly.

This is a pretty similar situation.
The Titans drafted a WR (with the aquired pick) that hasn't really panned out.

This has been stated many times already. It's not a pretty similar situation at all....

AJ Brown was still under contract for 1yr/$1m
Tee Higgins is on a franchise tag for 1yr/$22m

If you give both guys 4yr/$100m extensions, AJ Brown is now under control for 5yr/$101m ($20.2m/yr) while Higgins would be under control for 5yr/$122m ($24.4m). That is a HUGE difference in value for a WR that has 1 year of $1m team control left.

The Titans drafted the rookie to be their #1 receiving target. The Bengals would draft a WR to be their #2 WR behind Ja'Marr Chase. One team had nobody else, the other team has a top-10 WR who will carry the majority of the load.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:06 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Tee will play.  If he doesn’t play, he won’t recoup the missed$22m on the next deal.

Exactly and his agent loses income as well.

Tee is playing to play for a bigger pay day in 2025 and beyond. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote