Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Up QBs
It's the ugliest discussion to have, but necessary.
I'm not sold on who we have at back up.
Brandon Allen just doesn't do it for me and I haven't seen enough of Jake Browning to feel comfortable.
If we continue to have issues on the O-line, this needs to be addressed with better talent behind Joe.
So, what say you ? Rely on a current back up, acquire a wily veteran, or draft a rookie ?
Hmm

For myself, I'd probably draft a mobile guy with a decent sense of the field.
If we lose our starting QB, it will likely be from issues on the line.
Mobility could buy us a few games, until the starters return.
I'm thinking we draft Jaren Hall in the 5th or later.

There are a few veterans I'd be happy with, but I'd have to see what shook out after the draft.
Reply/Quote
I knew we should have grabbed Bailey Zappe when we had the chance!
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I wanted them to sign Fitzy last year. I still wouldn't mind picking him off the retirement pile and signing him. He is a pocket passer like Joe, though less mobile. But, He is smart enough and talented enough to get you 4-6 wins in a row before his play drops off historically. I think he's just what we need, someone who can be very good and won't break the bank. I know they like Allen, but any game he takes over is most likely going to be a loss.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 04:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: It's the ugliest discussion to have, but necessary.
I'm not sold on who we have at back up.
Brandon Allen just doesn't do it for me and I haven't seen enough of Jake Browning to feel comfortable.
If we continue to have issues on the O-line, this needs to be addressed with better talent behind Joe.
So, what say you ? Rely on a current back up, acquire a wily veteran, or draft a rookie ?
Hmm

For myself, I'd probably draft a mobile guy with a decent sense of the field.
If we lose our starting QB, it will likely be from issues on the line.
Mobility could buy us a few games, until the starters return.
I'm thinking we draft Jaren Hall in the 5th or later.

There are a few veterans I'd be happy with, but I'd have to see what shook out after the draft.

I think that with this team a veteran backup is the way to go.  In the event that Joe should miss a couple of games, you want someone who is experienced out there to "steer the ship", as opposed to having a developmental guy out there who may be apt to making youthful mistakes and perhaps showing a lack of confidence.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I wanted them to sign Fitzy last year. I still wouldn't mind picking him off the retirement pile and signing him. He is a pocket passer like Joe, though less mobile. But, He is smart enough and talented enough to get you 4-6 wins in a row before his play drops off historically. I think he's just what we need, someone who can be very good and won't break the bank. I know they like Allen, but any game he takes over is most likely going to be a loss.

I don't think that will be an option.  Not only did Fitzpatrick retire but his last season, well 1st game of that season, he injured his hip putting him out for the remainder of 2021.   He's also 40 years old and not everyone can be Tom Brady and play that long.   So I'm pretty sure he's done.    I get it, he was one heck of a backup QB with a really interesting career but it has to end at some point.  He played for 17 seasons.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:30 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I knew we should have grabbed Bailey Zappe when we had the chance!

Zappe sucks.

Brandon Allen is fine, I don't know why people go absolutely nuts over a backup position like this.

In the draft, only one realistic choice I'd make and that's Matt McDonald from BGSU. Guy steadily improved in the MAC, each year and is similar to Burrow in traits (great pocket presence, very accurate in the intermediate part of the field, makes good decisions and protects the ball), similar trajectory of improvement, though final year was obviously not even close to Burrow's). Team captain, transferred in his Junior year, All-Academic every year, similar build and arm strength, the guys fits our team and system very well (moreso than Browning).

I'd 100% bring him in as an UDFA or 7th round pick, as he probably wouldn't get drafted and he isn't on any draft lists or watch lists or anything. He could probably unseat Browning as the PS QB and may even unseat Allen...

But Allen's going nowhere. I said it two years ago and will say it again: Burrow doesn't need a, "veteran, experienced," backup. He needs someone to bounce ideas off of and someone who is good in the system, to help him be at his best and so that if he does get injured, the transition isn't as stark.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
You know FA this year and our opinions are totally worthless. We just don’t have the puzzle pieces or the money formula. Until Burrows contract is settled it’s just a guess. Oh we know our holes but to what degree can we fill them. One things certain drafting is critical from here out. We need low priced srarters
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm pretty open to any upgrade and I think we all know it will be a low resource (late pick or cheap vet). We are even more reputable as contenders so it's the right time to cash in on getting a ring chasing vet to hold the clipboard while hoping to win a ring.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Zappe sucks.

You sure about that? His QB rating is 0.1 above Burrow. So if Zappe sucks....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:18 AM)Interceptor Wrote: You sure about that? His QB rating is 0.1 above Burrow. So if Zappe sucks....

Let Zappe start for an entire season, then see how he rates.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let Zappe start for an entire season, then see how he rates.

My thought precisely. A few starts and you cannot say someone is good or someone sucks. But I like his upside.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:30 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I knew we should have grabbed Bailey Zappe when we had the chance!

Too young, would rather have an experienced veteran who can maintain a level of consistency, should Joe have to miss a few games.  A young guy backing up a superstar might be apt to attempt some risky heroics, in an attempt to play his way into a greater role on another team's roster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Let’s face it.

If JB goes down - it’s season over. lol

No way we get lucky like San Fran did w Purdy

I think we save the cash on a decent backup to spend on an OLine so he doesn’t get decapitated.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:37 PM)Whacked Wrote: Let’s face it.

I think we save the cash on a decent backup to spend on an OLine so he doesn’t get decapitated.

We understand how much of a dropoff there is to Burrow and any backup,  but I'd rather go 2-2 than 1-3 in a stretch that may cost you a bye or seeding.  We freaked out over the coinflip so we get the gravity of every game counting.  I agree with using the bulk of the cash elsewhere but backup QB still needs addressed and it wouldn't take much to upgrade over Allen no matter how "comfortable" they are with him. If nothing else competition.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: We understand how much of a dropoff there is to Burrow and any backup,  but I'd rather go 2-2 than 1-3 in a stretch that may cost you a bye or seeding.  We freaked out over the coinflip so we get the gravity of every game counting.  I agree with using the bulk of the cash elsewhere but backup QB still needs addressed and it wouldn't take much to upgrade over Allen no matter how "comfortable" they are with him. If nothing else competition.

One of the key points of having a veteran backup QB is that it is understood that there is no "competition" with the starter, he understands fully that he just the clipboard guy, unless disaster strikes.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: We understand how much of a dropoff there is to Burrow and any backup,  but I'd rather go 2-2 than 1-3 in a stretch that may cost you a bye or seeding.  We freaked out over the coinflip so we get the gravity of every game counting.  I agree with using the bulk of the cash elsewhere but backup QB still needs addressed and it wouldn't take much to upgrade over Allen no matter how "comfortable" they are with him. If nothing else competition.

Makes sense !!

(02-08-2023, 12:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the key points of having a veteran backup QB is that it is understood that there is no "competition" with the starter, he understands fully that he just the clipboard guy, unless disaster strikes.

Agreed
Reply/Quote
The reality is the back up QB isn't there to win long stretches of games. Look around the league and the back ups are often times dudes you'd never guess are even still in the league. QB2 is more of a coach with a great understanding of the system and essentially acts as a confidant to the starter and helps A LOT with game prep. If Taylor and Burrow want Brandon Allen then I trust that he is helpful to the process.

Lots of times teams will grab an UDFA or super late QB3. I do think the team should constantly rotate those guys through to see if you can strike gold but as far as QB2 stay with what works.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see them take a late round flyer on a guy, even if that guy is expected to be an undrafted, free agent. We pick late, every round..why not spend that final pick on a guy you feel might get picked up elsewhere post-draft, ensure you land him. Sure, it would suck to depend on a rookie to steer the ship if Joe were to go down, but thats why fixing the running game is so important. Look at SF with Purdy and McCaffrey. You get a young player who you can mold from scratch, gets to watch and learn behind One of the best quarterbacks in the league, and you can count on for the foreseeable future. At the bare minimum, you are bringing in competition for Allen and Browning.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:37 PM)Whacked Wrote: Let’s face it.

Doing what SF did is a stretch for sure, but what is so insane about us being able to survive without a starting QB for a time?  Our HC is a former QB and a QB's coach, so while he isn't Kyle Shannnahannn who can turn any turd to gold, we shouldn't be in a position where we take our ball and go home if Burrow can't play 20 games per year.

We should have a QB friendliest system this side of Kyle and Andy Reid, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We should have a QB friendliest system this side of Kyle and Andy Reid, right?

No, and it really isn't. We run a pretty complex system with a ton of checks and sight adjustments that would have to be massively dumbed down for anyone not named Joe Burrow. They built a system for Joe Burrow and unless you have a back up Joe Burrow we are pretty screwed if anything happens. 

Shannahan's system is built on misdirection in the run game and cutting the field in half but you never know which side of the field they work which is why it is effective when most half field systems aren't for long. Reading half a field is what allows them to take any QB and plug them in with decent results but the run game and misdirection are what allow that to be functional. 
Reply/Quote