Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle for Seeding or Rest Battered Starters?
It all depends what Bmore does and not even us.

If they lose this weekend and next Sunday, then we are not only guaranteed the division, but the 3 seed (if we win on Saturday).

If they win even one game, then we need to win at least one ourselves, otherwise we'll tie or be 1 game behind. I believe we have the tiebreakers, if we split with them.

I'm basically hoping for 2 more losses by them and we at least win this week. At that point, we are assured the division and it won't matter what we do against Buffalo or Bmore. I could see us resting the starters against Bmore, as a result.

BUT! If we beat Buffalo, then the 1 seed is in play and we'll need to play our starters, unless Zac decides that the 2 or 3 seed is sufficient.

A lot can absolutely still play out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s funny to see people still act like it’s the Marvin Lewis era in here. Like, we NEED to win the division lol

I think this Burrow era has showed us that division titles mean nothing. It’s about getting to the super bowl.

A division title is a nice little trinket on the Christmas tree. But it’s not the giant star or angel all the way on top

Yeah, but I'm a season ticket holder.  

I absolutely want at least one home playoff game.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: So you disagree with what cincy did last year week 18?

It worked out. I'm a big believer in momentum in sports and life and general though. 3 games is too far out to be worrying about it. We're hot, and I'd like to keep it that way. We'll have a bye if we get that number 1 spot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:36 PM)jason Wrote: It worked out. I'm a big believer in momentum in sports and life and general though. 3 games is too far out to be worrying about it. We're hot, and I'd like to keep it that way. We'll have a bye if we get that number 1 spot.

I’m not in favor of resting starters now, but after the Buffalo week, I think sitting players should be seriously considered against Baltimore. Especially if it turns out they won’t get the 1 or 2 seed
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m not in favor of resting starters now, but after the Buffalo week, I think sitting players should be seriously considered against Baltimore. Especially if it turns out they won’t get the 1 or 2 seed

I can live with that. Getting our injured guys healthy is crucial either way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s funny to see people still act like it’s the Marvin Lewis era in here. Like, we NEED to win the division lol

I think this Burrow era has showed us that division titles mean nothing. It’s about getting to the super bowl.

A division title is a nice little trinket on the Christmas tree. But it’s not the giant star or angel all the way on top

I think you have it backwards.  Just getting in was the mindset in the Marvin Lewis era.  We don't NEED to win the division.  We should EXPECT to win the division.

Yes, Joe Burrow has proven that he can win anywhere.  But not putting him in the best position to win is like saying that he's proven that he can win with a shit Oline so there's no need to improve that.
Reply/Quote
I'm always torn on these issues. On the one hand it would be nice to let some of our dinged up guys heal up some. On the other hand I've always believed it's better to maintain your mojo staying full bore go, don't lose the edge.

But I think we're just gonna hafta wait and see how it plays out. For now keep the foot on the gas I guess?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:46 PM)Roland Wrote: I think you have it backwards.  Just getting in was the mindset in the Marvin Lewis era.  We don't NEED to win the division.  We should EXPECT to win the division.

Yes, Joe Burrow has proven that he can win anywhere.  But not putting him in the best position to win is like saying that he's proven that he can win with a shit Oline so there's no need to improve that.

What does winning a division title mean if we have super bowl aspirations? We all know this team can get to the super bowl. Why does it really matter?

Plus, going to jax or tennesse is a lot easier than facing LA, baltimore, or Miami in cincy

Ask any team fanbase who got to a super bowl. Do they remember a division title or wild card spot? Sure, but that’s secondary to winning the conference championship.

I think of the 2021 bengals as afc champs, not afc north champs
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm always torn on these issues. On the one hand it would be nice to let some of our dinged up guys heal up some. On the other hand I've always believed it's better to maintain your mojo staying full bore go, don't lose the edge.

But I think we're just gonna hafta wait and see how it plays out. For now keep the foot on the gas I guess?

Bengals already proved last year that sitting your starters means DIDDLY POO before the playoffs. Why do you still think this way?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:14 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals find themselves in an interesting position after Jacksonville's win last night.  

Fighting for a playoff berth is no longer something they have to do with 3 games remaining.  They also have several key players working through injuries to stay on the field on a week to week basis on both sides of the football.  

The number 1 seed would obviously come with the advantage of 2 weeks rest for players in need, but that's far from a sure thing, and the Bengals aren't quite in control of that.  Even if they win out, they need KC to take an upset loss to get to a first round bye.  

What would you rather have?  A team fighting for a bye that may not be likely or a team going into the postseason with most of it's key injured players coming off of 2 or 3 weeks rest?

My approach would be a mix of both.  Win in New England.  It's not a given, but it's a very winnable game.  Put that in in your back pocket, rest some guys vs Buffalo, then beat an even more banged up Baltimore team to secure at least one home playoff tilt.  Baltimore at home is a game they should be able to win without all hands on deck.  

It's a tough pill to swallow given the playoff atmosphere that will be the Buffalo game, but I'm not sure what they gain going to a 2 seed from a 3.  At the very least, I want to rest Hendrickson, Hilton, and either Tee or Tyler if they aren't feeling a lot better than they are now.  It also would get backups a large volume of snaps against likely playoff opponents which wouldn't be entirely bad.

If KC drops a game, that changes the entire approach, but that's difficult to bank on.  The Monday night game is a big one, but a win vs the Bills in the playoffs, which is something they are very likely to need, is bigger.  

I'm pretty torn on all of this, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Play for a #1 seed, keep rolling, next man up. They've been smart enough with injuries, if a guy thinks he can play and he's medically cleared, go. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't just circle which games you're sure you'll win and then choose to lose the others. Doesn't work that way, the other team has a say in things.

Last two years they've lost to the Andy Dalton 6-11 Bears, Mitchell Trubisky 6-8 Steelers, Mike White 4-13 Jets, Baker Mayfield 8-9 Browns, and the Jacoby Brissett 6-8 Browns.

If you come into games assuming easy victories and come into other games not trying at all, that's how you go 0-3.

This. I've never been a big fan of "resting" when you're rolling. There's no light switch. Get in a rhythm and keep going. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This. I've never been a big fan of "resting" when you're rolling. There's no light switch. Get in a rhythm and keep going. 

I tend to lean that way as well. Like you say it's hard to just switch it on and off.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:14 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals find themselves in an interesting position after Jacksonville's win last night.  

Fighting for a playoff berth is no longer something they have to do with 3 games remaining.  They also have several key players working through injuries to stay on the field on a week to week basis on both sides of the football.  

The number 1 seed would obviously come with the advantage of 2 weeks rest for players in need, but that's far from a sure thing, and the Bengals aren't quite in control of that.  Even if they win out, they need KC to take an upset loss to get to a first round bye.  

What would you rather have?  A team fighting for a bye that may not be likely or a team going into the postseason with most of it's key injured players coming off of 2 or 3 weeks rest?

My approach would be a mix of both.  Win in New England.  It's not a given, but it's a very winnable game.  Put that in in your back pocket, rest some guys vs Buffalo, then beat an even more banged up Baltimore team to secure at least one home playoff tilt.  Baltimore at home is a game they should be able to win without all hands on deck.  

It's a tough pill to swallow given the playoff atmosphere that will be the Buffalo game, but I'm not sure what they gain going to a 2 seed from a 3.  At the very least, I want to rest Hendrickson, Hilton, and either Tee or Tyler if they aren't feeling a lot better than they are now.  It also would get backups a large volume of snaps against likely playoff opponents which wouldn't be entirely bad.

If KC drops a game, that changes the entire approach, but that's difficult to bank on.  The Monday night game is a big one, but a win vs the Bills in the playoffs, which is something they are very likely to need, is bigger.  

I'm pretty torn on all of this, but it's something to keep an eye on.
it does not to have boded well through the years for teams to start resting and losing games.. plus i don;t want to be on the road, odds are not in your favor most years
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This. I've never been a big fan of "resting" when you're rolling. There's no light switch. Get in a rhythm and keep going. 

Yeah, but that's all fun and games until you get into the playoffs and you have a half-speed Tee Higgins and no starting defensive ends.  It's not so much about a light switch as it is maximizing your player's ability and availability at the most important time of the year.
Reply/Quote
Keep things as is. No guarantee that KC wins every game, and, we earned the tiebreaker on them.
Reply/Quote
The three times the Bengals made it through the playoffs all the way to the Super Bowl were as division winners; never as a wild card. Therefore my opinion is to not rest starters until the division is clinched.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:05 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, but that's all fun and games until you get into the playoffs and you have a half-speed Tee Higgins and no starting defensive ends.  It's not so much about a light switch as it is maximizing your player's ability and availability at the most important time of the year.

That goes back to my previous point. If a guy is hurt, you don't chance it. Next man up. If you're TH and you have a broken bone in your hand and the only thing you have to be concerned about is pain, if you're willing to endure it, play. 

These coaches and players seem to be smart enough to know the difference--notwithstanding, Tee sneaking on the field Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it does not to have boded well through the years for teams to start resting and losing games.. plus i don;t want to be on the road, odds are not in your favor most years

Would we lose games, though?  

They won games without Tee.  They even won them for a month without Ja'Marr.  They've won without Mixon, Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, and Awuzie.  

I'm not talking about benching the entire 1st string.  Just guys that could use a week off.  

FWIW, though, I think if the situation allowed for it, they could rest the starters if a scenario played out where they win the next 2, Baltimore loses another game.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That goes back to my previous point. If a guy is hurt, you don't chance it. Next man up. If you're TH and you have a broken bone in your hand and the only thing you have to be concerned about is pain, if you're willing to endure it, play. 

These coaches and players seem to be smart enough to know the difference--notwithstanding, Tee sneaking on the field Ninja

Then we are in 100 percent agreement.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The debate on resting starters to prevent injury goes back and forth and I don't know if there is a right answer. I do know that personally a guy like Hendrickson who is playing with an injury shouldn't be out there at this point. Guys who are really banged up should be resting for the playoffs.

You have to protect them from themselves in some cases.  Tee vs the Browns would be a perfect example.  

Ja'marr made a good decision taking another week vs Tennessee.  Very mature move on his part.  A lot of guys aren't wired to do that.
Reply/Quote