Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle for Seeding or Rest Battered Starters?
(12-23-2022, 06:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t want to hear about being at home or winning the division. It doesn’t matter. This team has proven it does not matter. They have IT. They have the leadership. They have Lou Anorumo. They have Joe Burrow

I believe this team to be a super bowl team. If the team is banged up going into week 18, and the 1 seed is out of reach, the smartest thing to do would be to rest up. That wouldn’t happen though because the afc north would most likely be up for grabs week 18, and the bengals just aren’t gonna sit key players in that situation

We are arguing two different things. You’re arguing that the team can win on the road, which I also agree with. I along with others am arguing that them along with every other team would prefer to play at home. If that is within reach, they will not rest their starters and nor would any other team.
Reply/Quote
It’s a dangerous game to pick and choose multiple scenarios in which games to rest or not rest.
Go out and try and win every game, use good player management, which they do, and hope the injury gods stay the f away.
If by the last game when the path is clear then you might rest a few but I’m not a fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 07:03 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We are arguing two different things. You’re arguing that the team can win on the road, which I also agree with. I along with others am arguing that them along with every other team would prefer to play at home. If that is within reach, they will not rest their starters and nor would any other team.

You’re underestimating Franks ability to argue on multiple fronts. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 07:07 PM)wanga Wrote: You’re underestimating Franks ability to argue on multiple fronts. 

I’m arguing resting your players week 18 doesn’t kill momentum like some believe

But I know they won’t rest players if the afc north is on the line, or even if the 2 seed is on the line. I’m just yelling at the clouds. I just hope they get the 1 or 2 seed
Reply/Quote
Trey Hendrickson weighs in....

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/22/bengals-trey-hendrickson-explains-play-through-broken-wrist/

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 07:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Trey Hendrickson weighs in....

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/22/bengals-trey-hendrickson-explains-play-through-broken-wrist/

Makes total sense to play in his situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 06:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t want to hear about being at home or winning the division. It doesn’t matter. This team has proven it does not matter. They have IT. They have the leadership. They have Lou Anorumo. They have Joe Burrow

By that measure the Vikings should just sit their starters for the first half of all games. It doesn't matter. Their team has proven it doesn't matter. They have IT. They came back from 33-0.

....Or, you know, don't intentionally make things harder on yourself than they need to be because it is already hard to win in the NFL.

The amount of hubris in this thread because of one season is mind-blowing. If this was the final week of the season, we had already clinched the division, and there was nothing left to gain by playing, then sure, we could talk about sitting guys for the final week. I didn't hate it last year. We still have 3 games left in the season, though, and haven't clinched the division.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Win every game unless you've locked up 1 seed or it becomes mathematically impossible.
Reply/Quote
I personally want to see the Bengals win every game possible. I didn't like week 18 last year for that reason. Yes, be cautious but also be determined.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By that measure the Vikings should just sit their starters for the first half of all games. It doesn't matter. Their team has proven it doesn't matter. They have IT. They came back from 33-0.

....Or, you know, don't intentionally make things harder on yourself than they need to be because it is already hard to win in the NFL.

The amount of hubris in this thread because of one season is mind-blowing. If this was the final week of the season, we had already clinched the division, and there was nothing left to gain by playing, then sure, we could talk about sitting guys for the final week. I didn't hate it last year. We still have 3 games left in the season, though, and haven't clinched the division.

1: the Vikings are frauds and their fans know it. They’re gonna need a high seed to help them as much as possible

2: I never said I wanted the team to rest starters ROS, I just believe they should do it week 18 if the 1 or 2 seed isn’t a viable option.
Reply/Quote
Win and keep the ball rolling, it's too early to sit and rest just yet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 07:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Trey Hendrickson weighs in....

Trey's a badass

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Anyone who is basing their opinion on who they play the first round, is a little short sighted. We’re not trying to win 1 game. We’re trying to win the Super Bowl. The #2 seed and getting to play either KC or Buff at home is well worth going for it. You don’t lay down just so you can play @ tenn or @ Jax round 1. We got bigger goals.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 10:56 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Anyone who is basing their opinion on who they play the first round, is a little short sighted. We’re not trying to win 1 game. We’re trying to win the Super Bowl. The #2 seed and getting to play either KC or Buff at home is well worth going for it. You don’t lay down just so you can play @ tenn or @ Jax round 1. We got bigger goals.

apparently your reading comprehension isnt up to snuff. My argument is the exact opposite of being short sighted

It's more important to have a healthy rested up team headed into the playoffs than winning the afc north IF the 1 or 2 seed is out of reach. 

If that's the case, they SHOULD do what they did last year, and rest their starters in week 18

They will not though. So dont you worry 
Reply/Quote
Imagine coming into the playoffs with a 9 game winning streak. And home playoff games. And having recently beat multiple playoff teams. That’s my wish.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:13 PM)samhain Wrote: You have to protect them from themselves in some cases.  Tee vs the Browns would be a perfect example.  

Ja'marr made a good decision taking another week vs Tennessee.  Very mature move on his part.  A lot of guys aren't wired to do that.

I would disagree. I think a lot of guys aren't wired to do that in game and in the moment. However, once they are shut down and rehabbing, they are more likely to get back to good and be 100% before coming back. Plus, coaches are watching them more closely and far more likely to ask multiple times if the player is okay.

It's also much easier for a guy who isn't in a battle for his job in any way to sit out extra time versus the fringe or back of the roster guys.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You’re saying it matters because history says so...

I’m saying screw history. Bengals are clearly a top 3 team in the conference. The afc south is a joke, and the Ravens are clearly paper tigers. A weaker afc version of the Vikings

So you are saying screw rational thinking ... got it.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2022, 02:18 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying screw rational thinking ... got it.

God damn you’re obtuse

Of course wild card teams don’t get to the super bowl as often as division winners. That’s because the best teams usually win their division

That isn’t always the case. All I’m saying. You’re practically saying the bengals won’t make the super bowl if they don’t win the north. There are wild card teams currently that are better than division winners. For example, The chargers and dolphins are better than the Ravens(potentially)and titans/jags. The cowboys are better than the Vikings and Bucs.

Look at last year, the 9ers got to the nfc championship as a wild card. They only lost because the safety dropped a game sealing interception. I’m sure 9ers fans weren’t sayin “oh if only we won our division”. Winning the division isn’t the end all be all. Especially since the Rams stadium was basically a 9ers home game with all the San Fran fans
Reply/Quote
I don't understand some in this thread. We play all out until we mathematically cannot be the #1 or #2 seed.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:14 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals find themselves in an interesting position after Jacksonville's win last night.  

Fighting for a playoff berth is no longer something they have to do with 3 games remaining.  They also have several key players working through injuries to stay on the field on a week to week basis on both sides of the football.  

The number 1 seed would obviously come with the advantage of 2 weeks rest for players in need, but that's far from a sure thing, and the Bengals aren't quite in control of that.  Even if they win out, they need KC to take an upset loss to get to a first round bye.  

What would you rather have?  A team fighting for a bye that may not be likely or a team going into the postseason with most of it's key injured players coming off of 2 or 3 weeks rest?

My approach would be a mix of both.  Win in New England.  It's not a given, but it's a very winnable game.  Put that in in your back pocket, rest some guys vs Buffalo, then beat an even more banged up Baltimore team to secure at least one home playoff tilt.  Baltimore at home is a game they should be able to win without all hands on deck.  

It's a tough pill to swallow given the playoff atmosphere that will be the Buffalo game, but I'm not sure what they gain going to a 2 seed from a 3.  At the very least, I want to rest Hendrickson, Hilton, and either Tee or Tyler if they aren't feeling a lot better than they are now.  It also would get backups a large volume of snaps against likely playoff opponents which wouldn't be entirely bad.

If KC drops a game, that changes the entire approach, but that's difficult to bank on.  The Monday night game is a big one, but a win vs the Bills in the playoffs, which is something they are very likely to need, is bigger.  

I'm pretty torn on all of this, but it's something to keep an eye on.

If we win in NE you have to go full in against Buffalo.  The number 2 seed would be huge as it would mean we play Buffalo at home versus in Buffalo.
Reply/Quote