Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle for Seeding or Rest Battered Starters?
(12-23-2022, 04:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: What does winning a division title mean if we have super bowl aspirations? We all know this team can get to the super bowl. Why does it really matter?

Plus, going to jax or tennesse is a lot easier than facing LA, baltimore, or Miami in cincy

Ask any team fanbase who got to a super bowl. Do they remember a division title  or wild card spot? Sure, but that’s secondary to winning the conference championship.

I think of the 2021 bengals as afc champs, not afc north champs

History is not on your side with going into playoffs as a Wlid Card.. only 10 teams since 1970 have made it to Super Bowl and there have been some good QBs not make it to Super Bowl on wild card teams... it is a much harder road winning 3 straight games especially all on the road... plus ive read enough about lost chemistry with sitting too many players... starters all the way till last game and if division is on the line, we know history says win the division not rest the starters. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No chance we rest anyone. If we win the next 2, the 1 seed is a dropped KC game away from our grasp and I guarantee we will play the same time KC does. Also, if the Ravens don’t drop the next 2, AFC North is on the line. If we lose one of the next 2 then AFC NORTH will be on the line.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 04:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: What does winning a division title mean if we have super bowl aspirations? We all know this team can get to the super bowl. Why does it really matter?

Plus, going to jax or tennesse is a lot easier than facing LA, baltimore, or Miami in cincy

Ask any team fanbase who got to a super bowl. Do they remember a division title or wild card spot? Sure, but that’s secondary to winning the conference championship.

I think of the 2021 bengals as afc champs, not afc north champs

But would you rather have the Bills come to us in the Divsional Round or go to the Bills in the Divisonal Round (because that is what is likely going to happen if we don’t get the 2 seed).
Reply/Quote
The division isn't won yet.

The 2 seed is guaranteed (minimum) if they win out.

The 1 seed is a realistic possibility if they win out.

They'll go full-throttle, and they should.
Reply/Quote
Quote:We cannot lock up the division title before week 18 unless we win our next two games and Baltimore loses their next 2 games

Actually if we beat the Pats tomorrow and the Rats lose to Atlanta then if we win either or the last two or the Rats lose either of the last two the AFCN is ours.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: History is not on your side with going into playoffs as a Wlid Card.. only 10 teams since 1970 have made it to Super Bowl and there have been some good QBs not make it to Super Bowl on wild card teams... it is a much harder road winning 3 straight games especially all on the road... plus ive read enough about lost chemistry with sitting too many players... starters all the way till last game and if division is on the line, we know history says win the division not rest the starters. 

History does not apply to this year. Nothing is written in stone

If the Ravens win the north, this is gonna be one of those weird years where the wild card teams are all better than the 3 and 4 seed. So you would say with a straight face that the Titans and jags are better than Chargers, dolphins, Ravens/bengals? Of course not. And I truly believe the dolphins and chargers are better than the ravens.

It’s a new year.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:27 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: But would you rather have the Bills come to us in the Divsional Round or go to the Bills in the Divisonal Round (because that is what is likely going to happen if we don’t get the 2 seed).

The bills scare me less than the chiefs. And the chiefs don’t scare me

You’re gonna have to beat these teams one way or the other
Reply/Quote
The 5-seed may legitimately be as good as the 3-seed this year (could even argue better).

I don’t think the 5-seed is remotely better than the 2-seed. Hosting a powerhouse in the divisional round is a major edge.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: History does not apply to this year. Nothing is written in stone

If the Ravens win the north, this is gonna be one of those weird years where the wild card teams are all better than the 3 and 4 seed. So you would say with a straight face that the Titans and jags are better than Chargers, dolphins, Ravens/bengals? Of course not. And I truly believe the dolphins and chargers are better than the ravens.

It’s a new year.

if nothing is written in stone how can you say a division championship does not matter? and if nothing is written in stone, how can you say a wild card team that seems better wont still lose on the road.. i will take the history of trying to win three straight away games.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:44 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The 5-seed may legitimately be as good as the 3-seed this year (could even argue better).

I don’t think the 5-seed is remotely better than the 2-seed. Hosting a powerhouse in the divisional round is a major edge.

Like I said, if the Ravens win the north, and subsequently, the 3rd seed, all of the wildcard teams will be superior to the 3 and 4 seed. It’s just a weird year

No wildcard team scares me more than the chargers though. I’d hate to see cincy face them in the first round with Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack going up against Collins and Jonah
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Like I said, if the Ravens win the north, and subsequently, the 3rd seed, all of the wildcard teams will be superior to the 3 and 4 seed. It’s just a weird year

No wildcard team scares me more than the chargers though. I’d hate to see cincy face them in the first round with Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack going up against Collins and Jonah

I hate Mike Williams vs the Bengals corners matchup. Really Mike Williams and Keenan Allen size are just to very bad matchups for the Bengals secondary.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: if nothing is written in stone how can you say a division championship does not matter?

You’re saying it matters because history says so...

I’m saying screw history. Bengals are clearly a top 3 team in the conference. The afc south is a joke, and the Ravens are clearly paper tigers. A weaker afc version of the Vikings
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I hate Mike Williams vs the Bengals corners matchup. Really Mike Williams and Keenan Allen size are just to very bad matchups for the Bengals secondary.

That too. Plus Josh Palmer and their tight end are also very good. Of course you have to worry about Eckler out of the backfield

The chiefs scare me less than the chargers strictly because of match up problems
Reply/Quote
AFC is stacked.... give me the home games. Win out get the 2 seed with a chance at the 1.

Outside of maybe Tennessee now with Malik starting the rest will be tough out regardless.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They have not locked up the division or the #2 seed yet. The #2 seed is guaranteed a home game in the divisonal round if they win in the wild card round, since the #1 seed will play the lowest of the advancing seeds, which cannot be the #2 seed.

Since the #2 seed is fully within our control to achieve (since we play the Bills and Ravens), I see no reason to rest starters until that seed is no longer within our control. Especially since the likely #3 seed in that scenario is the Buffalo Bills.

You mentioned that you believe there's little benefit to the #2 seed vs the #3 seed and I disagree. I have absolutely no interest in the Bengals traveling to Buffalo in the middle of January when they could easily be playing in several inches of snow or some other kind of adverse weather that Buffalo often gets this time of year. The #2 seed is still extremely important even though it no longer has a bye week.

And then, obviously, if KC loses 1 game, which they have almost done two weeks in a row now, we would be in control of the #1 seed.

We cannot lock up the division title before week 18 unless we win our next two games and Baltimore loses their next 2 games, which means we would have beaten the Bills which then means we'd be battling for the #2 seed. If we win our next 2 games, Buffalo could still get the #2 seed back if they beat New England in week 18, assuming they don't lose to the Bears this weekend.

So, basically, the only scenario where I see us resting our starters is in week 18 if the Ravens lose the next 2 games, the Bengals win their next two games, Buffalo loses their next 2 games and KC wins out. And we won't even know about that last item until, basically, kickoff week 18 if our game is a 4pm or 8pm game and KC's game is 1pm.

If we play in the same time slot as KC in week 18, I don't think there is any situation where we rest our starters at any point this season.

(12-23-2022, 03:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Can’t really afford to rest anyone early if the Ravens are only 1 game back headed into week 18

(12-23-2022, 03:30 PM)jason Wrote: What Herm Edwards said...

All of this, and I'm typically in the camp where you rest guys as soon as you can. They'll club Hendrickson, he'll be good. CTB had a stinger, those are usually good in 3 or so day's rest. Hilton tweaked an ankle that he finished the game on. They showed extra caution with Tee and Chase. These guys wanna play to run the table. In this instance, I say go for it. Plus, I like keeping up momentum.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: That too. Plus Josh Palmer and their tight end are also very good. Of course you have to worry about Eckler out of the backfield

The chiefs scare me less than the chargers strictly because of match up problems

Out of all of our possible opponents the Chargers and even the Jags our the teams I'd rather not play over the rest. Hey bear and Co. have been getting better all season. Sunshine with the Jags is looking more and more like an NFL QB every week.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:44 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The 5-seed may legitimately be as good as the 3-seed this year (could even argue better).

I think the projections for making the superbowl from the 5 seed vs 3 seed show that its a higher % chance because of what you mentioned. Especially with how Tennessee has been playing/Tannehill likely being out. 

Now I'd rather not go to Jacksonville but Chargers are a scary team.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 06:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Out of all of our possible opponents the Chargers and even the Jags our the teams I'd rather not play over the rest. Hey bear and Co. have been getting better all season. Sunshine with the Jags is looking more and more like an NFL QB every week.

Jags defense and o-line don’t scare me. Plus Lawrence isn’t on Herbert’s level just yet
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 05:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The bills scare me less than the chiefs. And the chiefs don’t scare me

You’re gonna have to beat these teams one way or the other

Sure- but if you can play them at home vs at their place every team will take it at home.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 06:20 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Sure- but if you can play them at home vs at their place every team will take it at home.

I don’t want to hear about being at home or winning the division. It doesn’t matter. This team has proven it does not matter. They have IT. They have the leadership. They have Lou Anorumo. They have Joe Burrow

I believe this team to be a super bowl team. If the team is banged up going into week 18, and the 1 seed is out of reach, the smartest thing to do would be to rest up. That wouldn’t happen though because the afc north would most likely be up for grabs week 18, and the bengals just aren’t gonna sit key players in that situation
Reply/Quote