Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
Wishful thinking.....

Becton here to compete with Volson as the Bengals also sign Trent Brown as a bridge for the new rookie.

They can still easily sign both and Reader.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:53 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: If they move OBJr to RT, he will either request a trade in camp, or will be gone next off-season. 

Exactly, Its amazing people keep talking about moving Brown to RT when he made it clear he is not playing RT.  The Bengals knew this when they signed him.  He left the Chiefs because they wanted him to play RT.  He is not going to RT
Reply/Quote
With all the complaining the fans have done about our poor line I cant believe anyone would want to sign Becton even as a backup. The guy is Adeniji level bad. La'el Collins only gave up 5 sacks in 951 snaps in 2022. Bring him back before you sign a guy like Becton.
Reply/Quote
Visiting is a long way from signed. No reason not to look at him, and then maybe offer him a small prove it deal. If he can't prove it in camp, he'll be gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:53 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: If they move OBJr to RT, he will either request a trade in camp, or will be gone next off-season. 
I tend to agree with this opinion. I think they'll cover RT in the draft, but still...could you imagine the fallout from that type of scenario? We REALLY need to hit there in the draft and it scares me that there may be a run on the first round OTs before we get to pick 18.
Reply/Quote
I'm not thrilled about the idea of him being our "starting RT" going into the draft, but he's better than nothing and we are quickly running out of decent options.

I would prefer Yosh Nijman though.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:49 AM)Garrus Wrote: If we sign Becton then I think that all but confirms we will go OT at #18. Not that that wasn't the most likely case anyway.

Honestly, I think OT at #18 is required no matter who we sign at this point. There were very few starter quality OTs on the free agent market, and they're almost all gone now.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: That dude form the Raiders still out there?
Nope. Talked up Burrow and wanting to beat Mahomes when it counts and then went and signed with Daniel Jones and the Giants.

I'm not even sure we even kicked the tires on him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Visiting is a long way from signed. No reason not to look at him, and then maybe offer him a small prove it deal. If he can't prove it in camp, he'll be gone.

Becton is projected to get a 1 year 5 million dollar contract.  Do you think it's wise to spend 5 million of our dwindling cap space on someone like Becton?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:37 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Becton is projected to get a 1 year 5 million dollar contract.  Do you think it's wise to spend 5 million of our dwindling cap space on someone like Becton?

I guess that depends on what the other options are. If you are going to rely on the draft you better draft two because if we rely on one he'll get injured. And, like I said, visiting is a long way from signed. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: That dude form the Raiders still out there?

Eluemunor signed with the Giants 2 years, 7 million per year.   Dont know why the Bengals didnt just sign him

68.6 PFF grade with 6 sacks and 5 penalties vs Becton's 53.2 PFF grade with 12 sacks and 18 penalties.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:36 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Nope. Talked up Burrow and wanting to beat Mahomes when it counts and then went and signed with Daniel Jones and the Giants.

I'm not even sure we even kicked the tires on him.

Go figure, his agent is David Mulugheta, same as Tee Higgins.  Bengals likely reached out, but the call was never answered...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:40 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This is even dumber than letting Reader walk and replacing him with Tart. That is high level stupid. This is worse.

That promising rookie season? In 691 snaps, he was T9th in penalties and T5th in sacks allowed.

We replaced Reader with Rankins, a solid move... but I also would be worried about Becton..1st round bust so far
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We replaced Reader with Rankins, a solid move... but I also would be worried about Becton..1st round bust so far

I certainly hope we didnt replace Reader with Rankins, that would be stupid.

Reply/Quote
Did you ever think they may be looking at him as a LG for competition for Volson. Than draft a RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:56 PM)Hello to everyone Wrote: Did you ever think they may be looking at him as a LG for competition for Volson. Than draft a RT.

When was the last time Becton played at LG? and they are going to use 5 million in cap space for a backup if he cant beat Volson out?  Doesnt make any sense.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:56 PM)Hello to everyone Wrote: Did you ever think they may be looking at him as a LG for competition for Volson. Than draft a RT.

Not really. Rather than turning a oft-broken OT into a G and hoping for the best, they could have signed one of the many C this offseason and moved Karras to LG where we know he can play it well.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: When was the last time Becton played at LG? and they are going to use 5 million in cap space for a backup if he cant beat Volson out?  Doesnt make any sense.

They wont, I was being sarcastic with my comment.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carman and Smith are mediocre Tackles too.

Yes - I know Carman played decent there a game or 2...but I'm not sold on any of these guys.

Oh Becton has talent. He's just injured a lot.

I get it, but we don't necessarily have to like whatever decision ends up getting made.
Maybe it's Carman or Smith at RT starting this year. Maybe it's a draft pick. Maybe it's some not-great external FA in Becton, Trent Brown, or Billy Turner.
Brown would be about the best option in FA at this point with Onwenu, Eluemunor, and Fant all off the table.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We replaced Reader with Rankins, a solid move... but I also would be worried about Becton..1st round bust so far

Replacement?  Maybe sub in for DJ on obvious passing downs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote