Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
I was watching some of his game against the Browns last night. I thought he held up well going against the best DE in the league. I have definitely seen us play tackles who looked like they were getting rag dolled by Garrett. That’s not the case with Becton.

Maybe he started to figure out how to be a pro last year. I heard he came in in great shape. He played the most games of his career. Had Rodger’s stayed healthy and he not been blocking for Zach Wilson and Trevor seimian last year…. I doubt he would have such a quiet market.

Signing him could help stop us from reaching for a major red flag OT in the first round like Mims.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:09 AM)kalibengal Wrote: This is such a classic Bengals move...would KC do this for Mahomes? Bring in a guy who couldn't produce and keep gambling with Burrows health?
I guess this solidifies pick #18 has to be OT no matter what now.

Nope, KC would trade their WR and protect their QB as they already did. 

Bengals will have to make lots of risky moves if Higgins is signed.  They have a small window where they could maneuver this year with him rostered but nothing long term because Chase is going to get his cake soon too. When that happens they will only be able to keep those 3 star players and surround them with some cheap vets and will have to hit in the draft to have anymore elite players besides Burrow, Chase, and Tee. Then watch the elite rookies leave when becoming FA themselves. 

Just do the math

Salary cap $255 million
Burrow $55 million
Higgins $25 million
Chase ..$30 million
Equaling $110 million

That leaves $145 million to sign 49 players
That is less than 3 million a player to field a team with what's leftover. How many FA stars can they sign if this is the avenue they pursue ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 04:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was watching some of his game against the Browns last night. I thought he held up well going against the best DE in the league. I have definitely seen us play tackles who looked like they were getting rag dolled by Garrett. That’s not the case with Becton.

Maybe he started to figure out how to be a pro last year. I heard he came in in great shape. He played the most games of his career. Had Rodger’s stayed healthy and he not been blocking for Zach Wilson and Trevor seimian last year…. I doubt he would have such a quiet market.

Signing him could help stop us from reaching for a major red flag OT in the first round like Mims.

missing more games due to injury than playing is why is market is small...  

Cant protect anyone when hurt
Reply/Quote
Becton may be a glass eater. But he's as dumb as a box of glass shards too.

If you look at the sacks he gives up it's like he's a matador or something.

He's definitely the guy I wanted the least--not that there were many options to begin with (lots of injury-plagued lineman and middle of the pack at best lineman).

I will say he is very athletically gifted. But you need 'some' brains to be a good tackle.

Right now I don't like Becton as a backup, but it is what it is. Maybe he can prove everyone wrong.
If the Jets are giving up on him, that doesn't bode well though.
Reply/Quote
To the point above, you never want to sign a starter from a team who has struggled worse than you have filling the position. JET's Oline is the last Oline we should have been looking at to help ours.

A no name back up from a top Oline like the Eagles or Detroit would have provided more hope of finding a "gem".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Nick Scott had a RAS of 9.23. A high RAS is nice. Other things are more important.

https://ras.football/2020/01/12/nick-scott-ras/

DJ Reader? 2.97.

https://ras.football/2019/12/29/dj-reader-ras/

More important for some positions than others.

It's more than just as simple as that and there is always outliers. 

Do it position by position and you'll se where a higher RAS can make a difference.
Reply/Quote
Damn it!! I’m anxious. Anybody at kenwood mall? If so be on the lookout for an actual giant and encourage him to sign with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 06:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Damn it!! I’m anxious. Anybody at kenwood mall? If so be on the lookout for an actual giant and encourage him to sign with the Bengals.

No, but I think I just seen Marvin Lewis eating a tuna and rye sandwich.
Reply/Quote
Rumor is that Burrow and guests will be at Jeff Rubys tonight....

Also from a Jets guy regarding Becton:

He can be a perennial all pro. But I'm not sure he cares enough about football to do so.
But of cours. he's got a preposterous upside if things fall together for him.

I like Burrow a lot.
Not sure, man. He's monstrously big, but again, I'm not sold on the dedication. Not sure Rodgers was either, despite their friendship.

Reply/Quote
Four Top 4 OT's still on the board according to PFF. Smith (Dallas) and Brown (Pats) are 1 and 2. Becton is rated 4th, 1 spot ahead of Jonah who signed for 15 million a year.

4. T MEKHI BECTON, NEW YORK JETS
2024 Free agency rank: 47
The former No. 11 overall pick of the 2020 draft has always had the athletic ability to play at a high level in this league — injuries have just destroyed a promising young career.

More importantly than anything else, Becton played more snaps in 2023 than he did over his first three seasons combined. The 6-foot-7, 363-pound dancing bear looked leaner in training camp and performed admirably as a pass protector despite the revolving door of quarterbacks operating behind him. He has the ability to be the lead blocker to the play side but often got caught up in the muck this season when pull-blocking across the formation, getting his feet tangled and ending up on the ground.

Top free agent comparison: Greg Robinson, 2019
Player Pass-block grade True pass set pass-block grade Negative run-block grade percentage APY as % of Cap at signing
Mekhi Becton 66.4 53.5 21.3% ?
Greg Robinson 62.1 54.6 17.4% 3.4%
*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract projection: Available in PFF's free agency rankings

5. T JONAH WILLIAMS, CINCINNATI BENGALS
2024 Free agency rank: 54
Williams requested a trade this past offseason after the Bengals signed free agent tackle Orlando Brown Jr. to take over on the left side, but he eventually rescinded the request and got back to work mastering his craft at right tackle, where he hadn’t started since his undergraduate days in college at Alabama. The former first-round pick has always been an above-average pass protector and has stayed healthy throughout 2023.

While Williams may not have the ceiling perceived coming out of college, a high-floor pass blocker with a strong pedigree should do fairly well in unrestricted free agency with the league-wide scarcity of solid tackle play.

Top free agent comparison: Ja’Wuan James, 2019
Player Pass-block grade True pass set pass-block grade Negative run-block grade percentage APY as % of Cap at signing
Jonah Williams 63.2 60.9 12.6% ?
Ja’Wuan James 72.5 64.2 14.1% 6.8%
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Nope, KC would trade their WR and protect their QB as they already did. 

Bengals will have to make lots of risky moves if Higgins is signed.  They have a small window where they could maneuver this year with him rostered but nothing long term because Chase is going to get his cake soon too. When that happens they will only be able to keep those 3 star players and surround them with some cheap vets and will have to hit in the draft to have anymore elite players besides Burrow, Chase, and Tee. Then watch the elite rookies leave when becoming FA themselves. 

Just do the math

Salary cap $255 million
Burrow $55 million
Higgins $25 million
Chase ..$30 million
Equaling $110 million

That is less than 3 million a player to field a team with what's leftover. How many FA stars can they sign if this is the avenue they pursue ?

Yep, need to trade Tee for a proper RT or NT now if Becton and Tart are not the answers. Pretty sure Becton isn't the answer.

I like some of Tart, especially that he has some pass rush to him, but he isn't quite as dominant of a run stopper as Reader.

Wonder if there is any possible RT trade options, I am not as down on Becton as some, but let's not kid ourselves, he has been terrible 
the last couple of years, I just don't want him as a starter right now and we will need one at RT. No matter what we do at 18.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Nope, KC would trade their WR and protect their QB as they already did. 

Just do the math

Salary cap $255 million
Burrow $55 million
Higgins $25 million
Chase ..$30 million
Equaling $110 million

Yes, they did it just this past year by parting w/ OBJ and Whylie for lesser OTs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I listen to NYC sports radio a lot and the talk show hosts have been so down on Becton for so long that I was really hoping he wasn't coming to the Bengals. But I also remember how down they were on Sonny Gray and how bad he was with the Yankees but became a popular all-star for the Reds. Maybe Becton can turn it around on the Bengals with a change of scenery and be what the Jets expected when they selected in the 1st round. But, boy, the Jets have really been lamenting using an overall #11 on him.
Reply/Quote

Just do the math

Salary cap $255 million
Burrow $55 million
Higgins $25 million
Chase ..$30 million
Equaling $110 million

Your map is flawed. For example, Mahommes makes on average 50 million a year, yet his cap hit in 2024 is only 36 million. 

Chase is going to be paid, but Bengals have been giving out a lot more cach upfront, that binus cash can be spread over the life of the contract which is why your numbers are inflated. Also, a 10% increase in cap per years takes the cap to over 300 million in 2 years. I see expansion into Europe sooner than later which will also expand the owner's revenue thus add to the cap.

I would say in 2 to 3 years that number is closer to 90 million than 110 million. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 08:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, they did it just this past year by parting w/ OBJ and Whylie for lesser OTs

Still hoisted the Lombardy and have not really even come close to replacing Hill yet.  Their defense certainly is not suffering either because they did not go all in on Hill and can afford one.   

Don't know anything about the Whylie deal but know they were upset that OBJ left.  But once you pay an elite QB you have to pick and choose where to put the rest of the money and cant overpay. They chose an elite QB with one great receiving threat and a great defense in lieu of putting all their eggs in one basket. 

Hate KC but it's hard to argue with their success rate, can almost attach dynasty to their name even. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 08:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, they did it just this past year by parting w/ OBJ and Whylie for lesser OTs

True, but Go Cards was talking about years ago. You nailed that guy before on that, the Chiefs had poor play at OT last year.

They just had really good interior OL play, Pacheco and one heck of a D to help out Mahomes and company.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Still hoisted the Lombardy and have not really even come close to replacing Hill yet.  Their defense certainly is not suffering either because they did not go all in on Hill and can afford one.   

Don't know anything about the Whylie deal but know they were upset that OBJ left.  But once you pay an elite QB you have to pick and choose where to put the rest of the money and cant overpay. They chose an elite QB with one great receiving threat and a great defense in lieu of putting all their eggs in one basket. 

Hate KC but it's hard to argue with their success rate, can almost attach dynasty to their name even. 

And why are they good.Patrick Mahomes.That's why.Burrow does the same for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Nope, KC would trade their WR and protect their QB as they already did. 

Just do the math

Salary cap $255 million
Burrow $55 million
Higgins $25 million
Chase ..$30 million
Equaling $110 million

Come on now… burrow cap hit dosent even break 50 until 2027.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Still hoisted the Lombardy and have not really even come close to replacing Hill yet.  Their defense certainly is not suffering either because they did not go all in on Hill and can afford one.   

I was just replying to the assertion that KC wouldn't "risk" Mahomes by taking lesser OTs.

...oh yeah hate it about your B-Ball coach. good dude
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If he can be signed for a very low number, why not?
Reply/Quote