Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
(03-14-2024, 12:37 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Becton is projected to get a 1 year 5 million dollar contract.  Do you think it's wise to spend 5 million of our dwindling cap space on someone like Becton?

We have zero RTs

So yes

It’s worth it

May be a backup too depending on draft. 5M for a solid backup tackle is a bit high but i wouldn’t be mad

Also he worked with Pollack so the integration should be very quick

If he has anything left Pollack will get it out of him

He may not be a beast but he’s strong

We needed stronger tackles. Dudes go against Myles and TJ and turned to bitches
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Wishful thinking.....

Becton here to compete with Volson as the Bengals also sign Trent Brown as a bridge for the new rookie.

They can still easily sign both and Reader.

I think that is wishful thinking. By my reckoning, we have just over $21 mil in functional cap space. That is without knowing the actual numbers on Sample, ADG, & Rankins. And assuming Bell at vet min. Now, Stone & Gesicki & Moss all came under their APY numbers. Sat Sample, Rankins, & ADG do, too. Push that to $25 mil. 

Reader is gonna be around $15 in cap hit. More in APY. Trent Brown & Becton for $10? Call me skeptical. Jonah just got $15. Though if we do some restructuring and push it to $30+? Maybe doable.

If Becton is on a Mike Gesicki/Von Bell level deal, I might only throw up in my mouth instead of all over the place. But I fear the "plan" is to throw bigger $$ at him, and Tart, and let DJ walk. 

FWIW, I'd rather spend bigger & better on the trenches (Reader + Brown), and swap out Higgins for Mike Williams on a cheaper short tetm deal. Net a pick. Use that cash to bring DJ back. Pay Brown with the rest. We'd have 5 top 100 picks: RT, WR, CB4, TE, NT. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: When was the last time Becton played at LG? and they are going to use 5 million in cap space for a backup if he cant beat Volson out?  Doesnt make any sense.

I really don't know if he has ever played guard but he seems to have the build for it. All I'm saying is they maybe kicking the tires on it for that. From what I read he doesn't like RT and I'm sure they are not going to sign him to put him at LT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:52 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Just curious, who else out there do you like?

I'm a bigger fan of Donovan Smith than most. Let's see what he can do at RT. Reiff was serviceable for us. 

I'd also like to see Trent Brown, Andrus Peat, and Isiah Wynn
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Visiting is a long way from signed. No reason not to look at him, and then maybe offer him a small prove it deal. If he can't prove it in camp, he'll be gone.

If he is in the Bell/Gesicki price range? Sure. 

Wilson, Pratt, Stone? No. 

I'd rather offer Brown $10 than Becton $5. In fact, I'd rather offer Collins the min and take RT at #18 & pay Reader. Latham & Fuaga are plug & play. Decent chance one falls to us. If not, trade back & take Mims or Guyton.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:09 AM)kalibengal Wrote: This is such a classic Bengals move...would KC do this for Mahomes? Bring in a guy who couldn't produce and keep gambling with Burrows health?
I guess this solidifies pick #18 has to be OT no matter what now.

Sure would. Just last year they let OBJ and his 75.8 PFF rating walk and brought in Donovan Smith coming off a 58.1 rating.
They brought in Jawaan Taylor and his 58.7 rating to replace Andew Wylie 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: We have zero RTs

So yes

It’s worth it

We still wouldnt have a RT tackle even if Becton is signed.  Im sure we already have other guys on the roster capable of giving up 12 sacks and 18 penalties at RT. 

(03-14-2024, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Also he worked with Pollack so the integration should be very quick

What?  Since when has Pollack gotten anything out of any of our linemen.  Now you're hyping up Pollack?  You cant be serious.

(03-14-2024, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: He may not be a beast but he’s strong

You think going up against guys like Garrett and Watt in the AFC North is going to help his NFL leading 12 sack allowed stats?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I certainly hope we didnt replace Reader with Rankins, that would be stupid.

Why, Reader has major injury, might start out on pup and only played a full season 1 of last 4 seasons. Rankin is Solid and had a very good year.. so stupid would not making the move
Reply/Quote
How you gonna say "you can't get a good RT at Wal Mart" but then constantly insist on Wal-Mart right tackles?

Ass

Berries.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Why, Reader has major injury, might start out on pup and only played a full season 1 of last 4 seasons. Rankin is Solid and had a very good year.. so stupid would not making the move

Rankins is a pass rusher, he is NOT good vs the run.  It would be considered pretty damn stupid to those that actually have a sense of the guy's capabilities and past performance.  We need a run stopping NT to replace reader if we ant sign him.

Reply/Quote
Becton has been terrible since Pollack hasn't been coaching him, injuries, different OL coaches and Offensive coaches etc.

He was 12th overall pick and played good as a rookie with Pollack though. I don't like the thought of him starting, but we have
to have someone at RT and I think Carman is only a LT. I would rather bring in La'el Collins, Trent Brown, Andrus Peat or Isiaah
Wynn in that order than Becton but it is what it is and I am glad we are looking at another OL.

Hope Becton's knee injuries are behind him. He was talented otherwise he wouldn't of been a 12th overall pick.
Reply/Quote
If anything Beckton will be likely given a 1yr prove it deal. I'm fine with that.
If it was his knee last year then hopefully it's cleared up now and he can get back to where he was showing promise.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Rankins is a pass rusher, he is NOT good vs the run.  It would be considered pretty damn stupid to those that actually have a sense of the guy's capabilities and past performance.  We need a run stopping NT to replace reader if we ant sign him.

Not sure why attachments disappear?

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 1.11.21 PM

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure why attachments disappear?

Hey, this one stayed up.

Yeah, your other attachment on Dax disappeared in the Vonn Bell thread as well. Rankins is a pass rushing 3-tech and he tends to 
over pursue a lot against the run. He can learn a lot from BJ Hill in this aspect of his game and BJ could learn some of Rankins pass
rush in his part of his game. They should complement each other very well.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure why attachments disappear?

Thanks for stats on Reader. It is obvious he not close to Reader (or Carter or any DL on our roster) against the run.

That is the bad news, good news is he seems to be very good pressuring QB's up the middle. Geno was not good against the run either, but he created havoc with QB's up the middle and something we have been missing since Geno's glory days. 

I hope he is better version against the pass than Larry O. now Steeler and former Bengal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If anything Beckton will be likely given a 1yr prove it deal. I'm fine with that.
If it was his knee last year then hopefully it's cleared up now and he can get back to where he was showing promise.

He initially hurt his knee in 2021.  This has been an ongoing issue for years.  He has played one season in the last 3 years and did horrible.  He has also had issues with his weight which Im sure isnt good for his knee.  With all the talk about how the offensive line has cost us, I cant believe we would bring in a guy like Becton to start at RT.  and make no mistake, they arent bringing him in as a potential backup project type deal.  They are looking at him as the starting RT
Reply/Quote
Nick Scott had a RAS of 9.23. A high RAS is nice. Other things are more important.

https://ras.football/2020/01/12/nick-scott-ras/

DJ Reader? 2.97.

https://ras.football/2019/12/29/dj-reader-ras/

More important for some positions than others.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah trust in Pollack is at 0% they should be replacing him

This^^
Reply/Quote
Urgghh. This guys stats are the stuff of nightmares. Hope for Burrows sake he has a Lazarus like comeback.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: We have zero RTs

So yes

It’s worth it

May be a backup too depending on draft. 5M for a solid backup tackle is a bit high but i wouldn’t be mad

Also he worked with Pollack so the integration should be very quick

He may not be a beast but he’s strong

With our injury history and need to protect Burrow, I'd absolutely be ok with paying him 5 to be a backup.

I'd love to see Pollack get the most out of him.

We need to make this move to at least, like you said, get a RT on the roster before all the RTs are gone.

The free agent tackle class will dry up quick.
(03-14-2024, 01:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We still wouldnt have a RT tackle even if Becton is signed.  Im sure we already have other guys on the roster capable of giving up 12 sacks and 18 penalties at RT. 

What?  Since when has Pollack gotten anything out of any of our linemen.  Now you're hyping up Pollack?  You cant be serious.
Below.....
(03-14-2024, 03:04 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This^^

I'm not a fan of Pollack but, like Nate said, he had his best season under Pollack, so why not bring him here and see if they can duplicate that success?
Reply/Quote