Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
(03-14-2024, 08:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Your map is flawed. For example, Mahommes makes on average 50 million a year, yet his cap hit in 2024 is only 36 million. 

Chase is going to be paid, but Bengals have been giving out a lot more cach upfront, that binus cash can be spread over the life of the contract which is why your numbers are inflated. Also, a 10% increase in cap per years takes the cap to over 300 million in 2 years. I see expansion into Europe sooner than later which will also expand the owner's revenue thus add to the cap.

I would say in 2 to 3 years that number is closer to 90 million than 110 million. 

No doubt you're right but then why are they not big spenders in FA ?   

Yet when the cap goes up so do the contracts of players to pretty much even it out. This is what is neglected to be mentioned always in this argument.

It has always went up for years yet teams still get into cap trouble just like always. For instance the salary cap was $133 million just 10 years ago. Why are we not seeing super teams with over a hundred and twenty million dollar increase, almost double what it was then ? Because Tom Brady was paid $15 million a year then and now Burrow makes a million a week to even out the inflation. Teams still seemed structured the same, you must pick and choose where to spend the money wisely per it is capped and agents are aware of what must be spent.  

My projections are what the cap is now, if going up it may very well cost $40 million to sign Chase, surely his agent is aware of the rising cap as well. 

If the Bengals can keep all 3 and protect Burrow and field a good defense, then I am all for it. Just don't see it being possible for more than a 1 or 2 year window and if one gets hurt the window closes sooner. Plus as much as I love Joe, Tee, and Ja'marr, they all seem a little fragile.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: No doubt you're right but then why are they not big spenders in FA ?   

Yet when the cap goes up so do the contracts of players to pretty much even it out. This is what is neglected to be mentioned always in this argument.

It has always went up for years yet teams still get into cap trouble just like always. For instance the salary cap was $133 million just 10 years ago. Why are we not seeing super teams with over a hundred and twenty million dollar increase, almost double what it was then ? Because Tom Brady was paid $15 million a year then and now Burrow makes a million a week to even out the inflation. Teams still seemed structured the same, you must pick and choose where to spend the money wisely per it is capped and agents are aware of what must be spent.  

My projections are what the cap is now, if going up it may very well cost $40 million to sign Chase, surely his agent is aware of the rising cap as well. 

If the Bengals can keep all 3 and protect Burrow and field a good defense, then I am all for it. Just don't see it being possible for more than a 1 or 2 year window and if one gets hurt the window closes sooner. Plus as much as I love Joe, Tee, and Ja'marr, they all seem a little fragile.

Yeah, it is hard enough for me to try to understand the cap now, let alone what is presumed to happen years down the road.

The point is if a team wants to give up a pick somewhat early for Tee like Orlovsky said the Lions should do (29th) pick or a player trade for either
a RT or a NT it is much better for us than extending Tee long term. Ja'Marr Chase is our #1 for the future and we can deal with the rest of the skill 
players through the Draft or by getting decent value through FA for cheaper. The trenches are where we need to focus our money after Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was just replying to the assertion that KC wouldn't "risk" Mahomes by taking lesser OTs.

...oh yeah hate it about your B-Ball coach. good dude

He was a favorite player of mine and thought he was a good dude too. but after hearing him blame his players all year while never shouldering any himself I'm not so sure he is that good of a dude. Still feel bad for him per he seems kind of naive. 

Yet ready for the Scott Drew era to begin and get it rolling again, been awhile. Or whoever takes it, but thinking it will be him unless he squashes the rumor soon. We've got $2 million in NIL money laying around that Payne was nice enough not to spend though. Should help the new coach get out of the gate quickly hopefully. 

Go Cards !

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Four Top 4 OT's still on the board according to PFF. Smith (Dallas) and Brown (Pats) are 1 and 2. Becton is rated 4th, 1 spot ahead of Jonah who signed for 15 million a year.

4. T MEKHI BECTON, NEW YORK JETS
2024 Free agency rank: 47
The former No. 11 overall pick of the 2020 draft has always had the athletic ability to play at a high level in this league — injuries have just destroyed a promising young career.

More importantly than anything else, Becton played more snaps in 2023 than he did over his first three seasons combined. The 6-foot-7, 363-pound dancing bear looked leaner in training camp and performed admirably as a pass protector despite the revolving door of quarterbacks operating behind him. He has the ability to be the lead blocker to the play side but often got caught up in the muck this season when pull-blocking across the formation, getting his feet tangled and ending up on the ground.

Top free agent comparison: Greg Robinson, 2019
Player Pass-block grade True pass set pass-block grade Negative run-block grade percentage APY as % of Cap at signing
Mekhi Becton 66.4 53.5 21.3% ?
Greg Robinson 62.1 54.6 17.4% 3.4%
*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract projection: Available in PFF's free agency rankings

5. T JONAH WILLIAMS, CINCINNATI BENGALS
2024 Free agency rank: 54
Williams requested a trade this past offseason after the Bengals signed free agent tackle Orlando Brown Jr. to take over on the left side, but he eventually rescinded the request and got back to work mastering his craft at right tackle, where he hadn’t started since his undergraduate days in college at Alabama. The former first-round pick has always been an above-average pass protector and has stayed healthy throughout 2023.

While Williams may not have the ceiling perceived coming out of college, a high-floor pass blocker with a strong pedigree should do fairly well in unrestricted free agency with the league-wide scarcity of solid tackle play.

Top free agent comparison: Ja’Wuan James, 2019
Player Pass-block grade True pass set pass-block grade Negative run-block grade percentage APY as % of Cap at signing
Jonah Williams 63.2 60.9 12.6% ?
Ja’Wuan James 72.5 64.2 14.1% 6.8%

Thanks for this and appreciate it Luvnit. If we sign him, hope Becton can become that good dancing bear and like Nati said, he 
didn't get rag dolled by Garrett like Jonah did. Maybe Pollack can get the best of him and he actually matches up better against 
these more physical Ends in our Division. We all know Jonah sure as hell didn't match up well.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Four Top 4 OT's still on the board according to PFF. Smith (Dallas) and Brown (Pats) are 1 and 2. Becton is rated 4th, 1 spot ahead of Jonah who signed for 15 million a year.

4. T MEKHI BECTON, NEW YORK JETS
2024 Free agency rank: 47
The former No. 11 overall pick of the 2020 draft has always had the athletic ability to play at a high level in this league — injuries have just destroyed a promising young career.

More importantly than anything else, Becton played more snaps in 2023 than he did over his first three seasons combined. The 6-foot-7, 363-pound dancing bear looked leaner in training camp and performed admirably as a pass protector despite the revolving door of quarterbacks operating behind him. He has the ability to be the lead blocker to the play side but often got caught up in the muck this season when pull-blocking across the formation, getting his feet tangled and ending up on the ground.

Top free agent comparison: Greg Robinson, 2019
Mekhi Becton 66.4 53.5 21.3% ?
Greg Robinson 62.1 54.6 17.4% 3.4%
*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract projection: Available in PFF's free agency rankings

Gotta love that PFF, they paint a real pretty picture of this magnificent beast, yet fail to mention the penalties and dozen sacks he gave up... 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: He was a favorite player of mine and thought he was a good dude too. but after hearing him blame his players all year while never shouldering any himself I'm not so sure he is that good of a dude. Still feel bad for him per he seems kind of naive. 

Yet ready for the Scott Drew era to begin and get it rolling again, been awhile. Or whoever takes it, but thinking it will be him unless he squashes the rumor soon. We've got $2 million in NIL money laying around that Payne was nice enough not to spend though. Should help the new coach get out of the gate quickly hopefully. 

Go Cards !

I just remember him being a good dude at UK. I have no doubt UofL changed him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, it is hard enough for me to try to understand the cap now, let alone what is presumed to happen years down the road.

The point is if a team wants to give up a pick somewhat early for Tee like Orlovsky said the Lions should do (29th) pick or a player trade for either
a RT or a NT it is much better for us than extending Tee long term. Ja'Marr Chase is our #1 for the future and we can deal with the rest of the skill 
players through the Draft or by getting decent value through FA for cheaper. The trenches are where we need to focus our money after Chase.

Could not agree more, Bengals have their #1 and #2's can be replaced much more easily. Trenches must get up to speed to get that SB imho. 

Plus Derrick Henry to the Ravens means we better have a solid defense. Lamar read optioning to the King is trouble for everybody. Get caught flat footed guessing for a split second and either Henry trucks you over or Lamar turns the corner and is gone. The rest of the division are no slouches either, staying pat on offense and not plugging holes might not get it done. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gotta love that PFF, they paint a real pretty picture of this magnificent beast, yet fail to mention the penalties and dozen sacks he gave up... 

Yeah, he was bad the last couple years, surprised they had him ranked ahead of Jonah and I hated on Jonah a lot.
Reply/Quote
Remember that he also had constantly changing offensive systems and a QB with zero pocket awareness - things like those affect everything too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Could not agree more, Bengals have their #1 and #2's can be replaced much more easily. Trenches must get up to speed to get that SB imho. 

Plus Derrick Henry to the Ravens means we better have a solid defense. Lamar read optioning to the King is trouble for everybody. Get caught flat footed guessing for a split second and either Henry trucks you over or Lamar turns the corner and is gone. The rest of the division are no slouches either, staying pat on offense and not plugging holes might not get it done. 

Spot on. We have Burrow, need to lock up Chase and stock the trenches with studs. I think the OL will be much better with a new RT that is
decent and more of Burrow under Center along with a RB that is good running out of the Shotgun in Zack Moss. Newsflash, Zack Moss was 
fantastic, the best RB running out of the Shotgun. This makes the Offense so much more unpredictable right here and helps the OL.

Moss is an underrated addition IMO. He will make Defenses pay for not respecting the run when we are in Shotgun which never happened
with Mixon who was terrible running out of the Shotgun. But we still need to draft another talent at RB in this Draft which should be a blast.

On Defense, we need a run stopping NT to go along with our upgraded pass rush from the interior with our addition of Rankins. Murphy 
should get much better, Ossai should get much better, Hubbard will hopefully be healthy this year and our LB's shouldn't be near as bad 
and playing hurt as much like Logan Wilson was last year.

Bringing back Vonn Bell helps so much and it helps everyone more than we know. Stone, Battle, Dax and our other young corners and he 
was already buddies with CTB and of course Hilton.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Could not agree more, Bengals have their #1 and #2's can be replaced much more easily. Trenches must get up to speed to get that SB imho. 

The same Rats who have lost two defensive starters (plus their DC) and are tracking to lose 3 starting offensive linemen? Plus Henry has a LOT of miles on him and even last season you could see him slowing down. And our issue on defense last year was not getting blown off the line - it was giving up explosive plays from being out of position and also losing backside contain. A lot of the backside issue was Hubbard playing hurt all season which hopefully is corrected and our new safeties are directly about fixing the communication and alignment issues. Rankins teams with Hill to give us back the interior penetration and pass rush we haven't had since Ogunjobi. Tart as a NT even adds some pop from that spot. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just remember him being a good dude at UK. I have no doubt UofL changed him. 

Probaby so and you can now have him back in blue because I doubt any HC'ing opportunities will be offered. 

Still like the guy, he helped hang a banner here as a player,  but he was not ready. Of course the coach you have presently has never had any division one coache with success come from his tree. What was the Ville thinking when gambling that would change and Payne would be the first Cal prodigy to come into fruition. 

Will say one more thing on subject, the blue team has a very good chance to win a Championship this season, they're rock solid. They had better do so because if the Cards win a championship and have it stripped and then go on years of probation and come back to win another one since those blue chippers won their last one ?  It will be priceless. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: The same Rats who have lost two defensive starters (plus their DC) and are tracking to lose 3 starting offensive linemen? Plus Henry has a LOT of miles on him and even last season you could see him slowing down. And our issue on defense last year was not getting blown off the line - it was giving up explosive plays from being out of position and also losing backside contain. A lot of the backside issue was Hubbard playing hurt all season which hopefully is corrected and our new safeties are directly about fixing the communication and alignment issues. Rankins teams with Hill to give us back the interior penetration and pass rush we haven't had since Ogunjobi. Tart as a NT even adds some pop from that spot. 

Certainly hope you're right

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: The same Rats who have lost two defensive starters (plus their DC) and are tracking to lose 3 starting offensive linemen? Plus Henry has a LOT of miles on him and even last season you could see him slowing down. And our issue on defense last year was not getting blown off the line - it was giving up explosive plays from being out of position and also losing backside contain. A lot of the backside issue was Hubbard playing hurt all season which hopefully is corrected and our new safeties are directly about fixing the communication and alignment issues. Rankins teams with Hill to give us back the interior penetration and pass rush we haven't had since Ogunjobi. Tart as a NT even adds some pop from that spot. 

I think people are overrating the Rats this Offseason. I saw Henry run well against the Jags to put them out of the Playoffs but we ran well
on the Jags and we were the worst running team in the NFL with a backup QB. Henry has a lot of wear and tear and it would be hilarious if
he fell off the cliff while the Rats lost 3 starting OL.

Their Defense will suffer losing that DC, that guy was great at what he was doing. I was really impressed with their DC last year, until the 
Playoffs that is lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gotta love that PFF, they paint a real pretty picture of this magnificent beast, yet fail to mention the penalties and dozen sacks he gave up... 

I am no PFF fan. But thy do provide some factual data versus all of our eye tests. The RT PFF ranked 5th just got 30 million over 2 years. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

This reminds me of the old days where we kicked tires on 3 or 4 guys before one signed.  Call it lowballing,  but I'm fine with established vets like Brown and even Fleming for a cheaper rate, at least as a backup option.  
Reply/Quote
Becton is still in town Lutz is wrong. He was spotted with the coaches, Tart and Burrow at Ruby's after Lutz made this post.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Becton is still in town Lutz is wrong. He was spotted with the coaches, Tart and Burrow at Ruby's after Lutz made this post.

Says who?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:45 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Says who?
Supposed pic of Becton and Pollack...

[Image: dadd9e69eba49796112e85f54ebdf501.jpg]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote