Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bell Plans On Returning Now?
(10-29-2018, 11:42 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Wow, way to butcher what I said. I never said it makes or breaks a player's season. Preseason games do get a player into shape more than running and cutting on his own could. I thought you had to be playing stupid, but I see you really are this stupid now. When you're running and cutting on your own, you don't have 250 pound people running after you trying to knock you down. The reason the players want to shorten it is because it's preseason and the games don't mean anything and they're still risking their careers for meaningless games. That's the reason you dolt. Let me go back to basics and teach you football 101. 
How does preseason get a player into shape more?  Because players are chasing him?  You're not too bright.
(10-29-2018, 11:52 PM)Dill Wrote: Gotta side with the Captain on this one.

Pounding the ball, looking for that break upfield while dodging or running over top athletes trying to take you down, is rather different from "running and cutting" in the park an hour before lunch--especially when deep in the 4th quarter, the game is on the line, and your calves and hands have been stamped on in pile after pile and your ankle has just been re-taped.  Where's the adrenaline when practicing alone? How can running through tires and bumping dummies provide the route timing needed to catch passes on the run, or wait for a block to develop and then hit the hole full burst?  How does your field vision develop in the gym?

Everyone who has played football or basketball or wrestled or ran track knows this. The intense competition pushes you to a different level.
That might make sense, except starters don't play into the fourth quarter in any game and teams aren't going to risk anything big with their star players.  

Yes, it might be different than practice, but these guys have been playing football for how many years?  10?  15?  You really think they need a meaningless preseason game to get into season mode and get their blood going?

It might be valuable for some, but some players can just come in and turn it on.  Take last year, in the first game, he only 32 yards, but they also only gave him 10 carries, but then he had 87 against the Vikings, a top five rushing defense (granted only 3.2 YPC), 4.1 against the Bears and Ravens, both of whom were in the top half of the league in defensive YPCA, and Bell finished in the top ten in YPC among players with at least 200 carries and top 5 in players with 250 carries.  

As far as your hit the hole, route timing, all that, some players, especially pros, don't need that practice because they've been doing it their entire lives.  I played one down of receiver my entire life, which was my freshmen year and caught a touchdown passes, so, my sophomore year, the day of the wreck, they decided to play me at receiver too (I had only been a DB), and we had a practice that morning and I was running routes and catching passes from our QB like we were Division I college players, and it was just because I had that ability in me, even though I had never done it before.  But you think Bell, who has been doing this all his life, can't come in and flip a switch?

(10-30-2018, 12:46 AM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Finally someone with some sense. If just running and cutting by yourself, gets you into football shape like Brad thinks, team practices wouldn't be as important. Most everyone that's already proved their worth would just skip all preseason games and stay at home and start running and cutting by themselves.

Rolleyes

Teams practice to get in rhythm and to get in sync with each other, as well as to get plays down, which a running back really doesn't need because he's not really running routes with the QB which he would need to be in rhythm with him and he's not on the line blocking, so he doesn't need to be in sync with his other linemen on blocking schemes.  He's not on defense, so he really wouldn't need to know where his teammates would be or what they could do, or how they'd be running schemes and things, so preseason is probably the least important for running backs and kickers.  
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 01:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How does preseason get a player into shape more?  Because players are chasing him?  You're not too bright.
That might make sense, except starters don't play into the fourth quarter in any game and teams aren't going to risk anything big with their star players.  

Yes, it might be different than practice, but these guys have been playing football for how many years?  10?  15?  You really think they need a meaningless preseason game to get into season mode and get their blood going?

It might be valuable for some, but some players can just come in and turn it on.  Take last year, in the first game, he only 32 yards, but they also only gave him 10 carries, but then he had 87 against the Vikings, a top five rushing defense (granted only 3.2 YPC), 4.1 against the Bears and Ravens, both of whom were in the top half of the league in defensive YPCA, and Bell finished in the top ten in YPC among players with at least 200 carries and top 5 in players with 250 carries.  

As far as your hit the hole, route timing, all that, some players, especially pros, don't need that practice because they've been doing it their entire lives.  I played one down of receiver my entire life, which was my freshmen year and caught a touchdown passes, so, my sophomore year, the day of the wreck, they decided to play me at receiver too (I had only been a DB), and we had a practice that morning and I was running routes and catching passes from our QB like we were Division I college players, and it was just because I had that ability in me, even though I had never done it before.  But you think Bell, who has been doing this all his life, can't come in and flip a switch?

Rolleyes

Teams practice to get in rhythm and to get in sync with each other, as well as to get plays down, which a running back really doesn't need because he's not really running routes with the QB which he would need to be in rhythm with him and he's not on the line blocking, so he doesn't need to be in sync with his other linemen on blocking schemes.  He's not on defense, so he really wouldn't need to know where his teammates would be or what they could do, or how they'd be running schemes and things, so preseason is probably the least important for running backs and kickers.  

Preseason games helps players get into shape, because there is ACTUAL CONTACT with other players. You can get into football shape simply by running drills by yourself in a gym. How hard is this for you to understand? The reason Bell started out so poorly was because he wasn't in the preseason playing any games. You also don't have to play all 4 quarters to use the preseason to get into shape. And you say I'm not bright? I'm so bright, I'm like the sun compared to you. If he would have been playing in the preseason games like the other players he would have a hell of a lot more touches and yards against the Browns. He was ineffective against the Browns. The Bears were the same way. and contrary to your stats the Bears were 22nd against the run last year. He would have had way more than that if he was in football shape. Baltimore was 18th against the run and the Vikings were 31st against the run, not top 5. Like I said I don't know where you get your stats from, probably the same place you get the "Players can work out by themselves in the gym, and be in just as much football shape, than if they played preseason games" from, you just pull them out of your ***. You see I deal in cold hard facts. I go straight to the source and go to nfl.com and get them from here. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=2&season=2017&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&qualified=false

Now let's see how you try and spin your way out of this losing argument.
Reply/Quote
Whenever Bell comes back, put him on the two week roster exemption, save even more money. When that ends, I wouldn't even dress him for the remainder of the year. Bell's not going to be able to help that much, at least not in comparison to how much of a disruption he could/will cause. Plus it sends a message that the Steelers won't acquiesce to this kind of childish negotiating tactic. Conner has made Bell wholly expendable.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 04:05 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I'm your real dad...The one that left....Cause you are a disappointment. 

Ah yes......the one mom kicked out for lying about his mobile home he lived in.....it was actually a van down by the Allegheny, next to where Webster used to park.  Mellow
Sorry I didn't follow the family business and disappointed you dad, but meth cooking is a pretty dangerous line of work, and you're better at it than I ever would be.

(10-29-2018, 06:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's that guy that only comes around when his team is winning. Forget his name...something like B.S. Poop or something.  Mellow

.....yeah, it's coming back.....something like ShitCitySouth....... Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:45 AM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Preseason games helps players get into shape, because there is ACTUAL CONTACT with other players. You can get into football shape simply by running drills by yourself in a gym. How hard is this for you to understand? The reason Bell started out so poorly was because he wasn't in the preseason playing any games. You also don't have to play all 4 quarters to use the preseason to get into shape. And you say I'm not bright? I'm so bright, I'm like the sun compared to you. If he would have been playing in the preseason games like the other players he would have a hell of a lot more touches and yards against the Browns. He was ineffective against the Browns. The Bears were the same way. and contrary to your stats the Bears were 22nd against the run last year. He would have had way more than that if he was in football shape. Baltimore was 18th against the run and the Vikings were 31st against the run, not top 5. Like I said I don't know where you get your stats from, probably the same place you get the "Players can work out by themselves in the gym, and be in just as much football shape, than if they played preseason games" from, you just pull them out of your ***. You see I deal in cold hard facts. I go straight to the source and go to nfl.com and get them from here. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=2&season=2017&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&qualified=false

Now let's see how you try and spin your way out of this losing argument.

I know you can get into football shape without having contact with players, that's what I've been trying to tell you!

What about hitting a player makes you think that another player can suddenly run faster or cut better?!

Like I keep saying, speed and cutting ability is a natural ability, as-is Bell's vision, which what makes you think that he'd need preseason games to suddenly have that ability?  You have failed to answer that question.

In seasons past, Bell's preseason total carries have been 4, 18, 10, 3, and 0. and he seems to have been pretty damn good in those years, so what is it about those 35 carries in 5 years that prepared Bell for the monster seasons that he had?

Define football shape since you keep throwing it out there.

You say I'm losing this argument, so define "football shape" and why Bell can't be in it on his own and we'll see just how stupid you are.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know you can get into football shape without having contact with players, that's what I've been trying to tell you!

What about hitting a player makes you think that another player can suddenly run faster or cut better?!

Like I keep saying, speed and cutting ability is a natural ability, as-is Bell's vision, which what makes you think that he'd need preseason games to suddenly have that ability?  You have failed to answer that question.

In seasons past, Bell's preseason total carries have been 4, 18, 10, 3, and 0. and he seems to have been pretty damn good in those years, so what is it about those 35 carries in 5 years that prepared Bell for the monster seasons that he had?

Define football shape since you keep throwing it out there.

You say I'm losing this argument, so define "football shape" and why Bell can't be in it on his own and we'll see just how stupid you are. 

Yes you are DEFINITELY losing this argument. I see you couldn't argue facts with me about the defenses Bell sucked at that you claimed were soo good until I proved you wrong. You just conveniently skipped over those parts which I love. Football shape is kind of obvious and self-explanatory that doesn't need explained as long as you have an IQ above room temperature. Also the difference between Bell in past seasons is because he also gets into football shape with the practices. They do have full contact practices. Those all help you get into football shape. I can't believe I have to explain this to someone who claims they played football in high school and college. This should be Football 101. You probably rode the bench and never got to get your uniform dirty. That's the only explanation that you could be this dense.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:52 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Yes you are DEFINITELY losing this argument. I see you couldn't argue facts with me about the defenses Bell sucked at that you claimed were soo good until I proved you wrong. You just conveniently skipped over those parts which I love. Football shape is kind of obvious and self-explanatory that doesn't need explained as long as you have an IQ above room temperature. Also the difference between Bell in past seasons is because he also gets into football shape with the practices. They do have full contact practices. Those all help you get into football shape. I can't believe I have to explain this to someone who claims they played football in high school and college. This should be Football 101. You probably rode the bench and never got to get your uniform dirty. That's the only explanation that you could be this dense.

Brad never played college football...He was 15 when his accident happened.  Did he try to say he played college?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 03:00 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Brad never played college football...He was 15 when his accident happened.  Did he try to say he played college?

No, I stand corrected. He said, "I was running routes and catching passes from our QB like we were Division I college players,"

I skim over most of his posts and didn't realize he said like we were.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:52 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Yes you are DEFINITELY losing this argument. I see you couldn't argue facts with me about the defenses Bell sucked at that you claimed were soo good until I proved you wrong. You just conveniently skipped over those parts which I love. Football shape is kind of obvious and self-explanatory that doesn't need explained as long as you have an IQ above room temperature. Also the difference between Bell in past seasons is because he also gets into football shape with the practices. They do have full contact practices. Those all help you get into football shape. I can't believe I have to explain this to someone who claims they played football in high school and college. This should be Football 101. You probably rode the bench and never got to get your uniform dirty. That's the only explanation that you could be this dense.

lol

You keep throwing out bullshit and then I call you out on it and you say it’s “self-explanatory.”

Why can’t he be getting into football shape on his own?

You’re so clueless about even your fellow Steelers fans are calling you out as stupid!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: lol

You keep throwing out bullshit and then I call you out on it and you say it’s “self-explanatory.”

Why can’t he be getting into football shape on his own?

You’re so clueless about even your fellow Steelers fans are calling you out as stupid!

No fellow Steelers fan has even called me out you moron. All SCS asked was if you said you played college ball because you had your injury at 15 so if you said that you were lying. You think that's calling me out? He was seeing if you were lying. My gosh you are such a joke on this board. Please keep running your mouth. Do you notice no other Bengals fan is on here backing you up about your argument? You know why? It's because even they know you are clearly wrong on this subject. Please keep running your mouth because you are making me look even smarter than I already am and making a bigger fool of yourself. The reason he can't get into football shape on his own, is because running drills by yourself and working out in a gym is NOT the same as practicing with team mates or playing in pres season games. How hard is this for you to understand? Hey how is that argument you made about the Bears, Vikings and Ravens above average running defense working out for you that I put down with actual facts? Yeah you conveniently skipped that part. I don't blame you, if I was continuously getting owned by the same person, I would be quiet as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 09:39 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whenever Bell comes back, put him on the two week roster exemption, save even more money.  When that ends, I wouldn't even dress him for the remainder of the year.  Bell's not going to be able to help that much, at least not in comparison to how much of a disruption he could/will cause.  Plus it sends a message that the Steelers won't acquiesce to this kind of childish negotiating tactic.  Conner has made Bell wholly expendable.

I have a simpler solution, just withdraw the tag.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have a simpler solution, just withdraw the tag.

So he can sign with the Patriots for cheap to rub our nose in it?  Not exactly a smart move for the Steelers franchise.  Plus this way we transition him again next year and try and get something for him.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So he can sign with the Patriots for cheap to rub our nose in it?  Not exactly a smart move for the Steelers franchise.  Plus this way we transition him again next year and try and get something for him.

Bell will take his eight million and move on. He wasn't ever going to do the Steelers any favor by allowing them to get anything in return. If they get a third rounder for him they will have to figure the 8 mill into the price of that pick. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have a simpler solution, just withdraw the tag.

I would love to see them do this. Pull the offer as he's parking his car in the lot. But.........

(10-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So he can sign with the Patriots for cheap to rub our nose in it?  

.......this would probably be the result.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:58 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: No fellow Steelers fan has even called me out you moron. All SCS asked was if you said you played college ball because you had your injury at 15 so if you said that you were lying. You think that's calling me out? He was seeing if you were lying. My gosh you are such a joke on this board. Please keep running your mouth. Do you notice no other Bengals fan is on here backing you up about your argument? You know why? It's because even they know you are clearly wrong on this subject. Please keep running your mouth because you are making me look even smarter than I already am and making a bigger fool of yourself. The reason he can't get into football shape on his own, is because running drills by yourself and working out in a gym is NOT the same as practicing with team mates or playing in pres season games. How hard is this for you to understand? Hey how is that argument you made about the Bears, Vikings and Ravens above average running defense working out for you that I put down with actual facts? Yeah you conveniently skipped that part. I don't blame you, if I was continuously getting owned by the same person, I would be quiet as well.
You’re the biggest moron I know!

How would running through those drills and cutting and accelerating be different if he were with his teammates?! IT WOULDN’T! Especially not when he has been in the league for as long as he has!

I was wrong about the defense rankings, but the Steelers also only gave him 10 carries in the first game, so how can you base it off such a small sample size?

You also ignored my question about what is “football shape”?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 09:39 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whenever Bell comes back, put him on the two week roster exemption, save even more money.  When that ends, I wouldn't even dress him for the remainder of the year.  Bell's not going to be able to help that much, at least not in comparison to how much of a disruption he could/will cause.  Plus it sends a message that the Steelers won't acquiesce to this kind of childish negotiating tactic.  Conner has made Bell wholly expendable.

Agree.

Although I would make him exclusively a punt and kick returner for a few games, just....because
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 07:42 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I would love to see them do this. Pull the offer as he's parking his car in the lot. But.........

.......this would probably be the result.

Yeah, the Patriots or Bengals would take him. Being our luck, he would sign with a team and the Steelers would play them in the playoffs and he would run all over the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 01:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How does preseason get a player into shape more?  Because players are chasing him?  You're not too bright.

Just some comments about these two surprising points--

Yes, being chased, or chasing players in a game, is different than in practice.  What player or coach would ever say different?

And starters generally play into the fourth quarter of every NFL game. If you were watching the last Bengals-Steelers game, who was on the field during the last minute?  Were Ben, Connor and Antonio sitting on the bench--or did Tomlin refuse to "risk something big" with his star players? 

It is odd to argue that practice with team mates PLUS actual games doesn't take player's timing and endurance to another level because they have superior "natural" abilities.  Practice and games especially take natural ability to another level.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 04:48 PM)Dill Wrote: Just some comments about these two surprising points--

Yes, being chased, or chasing players in a game, is different than in practice.  What player or coach would ever say different?

And starters generally play into the fourth quarter of every NFL game. If you were watching the last Bengals-Steelers game, who was on the field during the last minute?  Were Ben, Connor and Antonio sitting on the bench--or did Tomlin refuse to "risk something big" with his star players? 

It is odd to argue that practice with team mates PLUS actual games doesn't take player's timing and endurance to another level because they have superior "natural" abilities.  Practice and games especially take natural ability to another level.

Wow.

I feel like I’m going to need to break out the crayons for this one, but I don’t have time right now, so I’ll just try to explain this as simply as possible.

We were obviously talking about the preseason games because starters obviously usually play the entire game (can’t believe I actually had to explain that one to you), and you “intelligent” Steelers fans keep saying that he’ll be “chased,” except what the hell do you mean “chased” and why would Bell need the preseason to outrun people chasing him? Like I keep asking, you don’t think he’ll have stayed in shape?

Bell’s game is his patience, vision, and cut back ability, none of which can be taught or practiced, so please tell me what the hell you’re talking about!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 07:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You’re the biggest moron I know!

How would running through those drills and cutting and accelerating be different if he were with his teammates?!  IT WOULDN’T! Especially not when he has been in the league for as long as he has!

I was wrong about the defense rankings, but the Steelers also only gave him 10 carries in the first game, so how can you base it off such a small sample size?

You also ignored my question about what is “football shape”?

Ok, I have to break out the crayons with you on this one since you are obviously the biggest moron you know. This will be THE LAST time I explain this to you. Working out on your own IS NOT the same as being in practices and pre season games. It takes more mental toughness to play in pre season games and practices than working out on your own. I can't explain this any further. I'm laughing at how stupid you're acting. I'm still waiting on you to tell me which Steelers fan called me out for being stupid? I guess you'll be as wrong about that as you were about the teams run defenses being so great that you were talking about that I proved you wrong on. That alone should tell you who the moron is here and it's the person that you see in the mirror everyday.
Reply/Quote