Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Fans suddenly have "Chase Young Fever"
I don't often post in them, but I do read some of the Bengals FB groups postings. After his 4 sack performance yesterday, it seems like the prevailing opinion in those groups is that the Bengals need Chase Young to come and save the franchise.

While I agree that Chase Young is a fantastic player, I don't really think that he's the "one guy" who can be added to this team, and suddenly things will change for the better. The RDE position is currently filled by a rising star for the Bengals, Sam Hubbard. So, if you bring in Chase Young, what do you do with Hubbard? I'm sure that the knee-jerk reaction would be to just switch him to the LDE position, currently occupied by the recently extended Bengal great, Carlos Dunlap.

So, let's imagine that someone decides that Chase Young is the man, and the Bengals draft him. Let's say that they have an epiphany, and decide that Dunlap is a great piece of trade material, and go with putting Hubbard over on the Left side. I've never seen Hubbard play Strong Side End, in college or with the Bengals. i'm not sure that he's physically cut out for that particular job. So, in that case you would have 2 very similar players for the RDE position, and traded away your very good LDE. Now what??

My point of making that illustration was to show that if the Bengals are drafting top 3, the wise move would be to go with the franchise QB, Joe Burrow. When picking in the top of the draft, you need that cornerstone with which you're going to build your team around. They already selected their LT of the future this year, in Jonah Williams, now it's time for the new franchise QB, LB, and RT to give this team some teeth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A mass of sports fans getting excited for a new shiny object? That never happens.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:25 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: A mass of sports fans getting excited for a new shiny object? That never happens.

It's great to be excited about picking from the top of the draft, just be sure that you're looking at the player that will provide the most positive impact on the franchise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't often post in them, but I do read some of the Bengals FB groups postings.  After his 4 sack performance yesterday, it seems like the prevailing opinion in those groups is that the Bengals need Chase Young to come and save the franchise.

While I agree that Chase Young is a fantastic player, I don't really think that he's the "one guy" who can be added to this team, and suddenly things will change for the better.  The RDE position is currently filled by a rising star for the Bengals, Sam Hubbard.  So, if you bring in Chase Young, what do you do with Hubbard?  I'm sure that the knee-jerk reaction would be to just switch him to the LDE position, currently occupied by the recently extended Bengal great, Carlos Dunlap.

So, let's imagine that someone decides that Chase Young is the man, and the Bengals draft him.  Let's say that they have an epiphany, and decide that Dunlap is a great piece of trade material, and go with putting Hubbard over on the Left side.  I've never seen Hubbard play Strong Side End, in college or with the Bengals.  i'm not sure that he's physically cut out for that particular job.  So, in that case you would have 2 very similar players for the RDE position, and traded away your very good LDE.  Now what??

My point of making that illustration was to show that if the Bengals are drafting top 3, the wise move would be to go with the franchise QB, Joe Burrow.  When picking in the top of the draft, you need that cornerstone with which you're going to build your team around.  They already selected their LT of the future this year, in Jonah Williams, now it's time for the new franchise QB, LB, and RT to give this team some teeth.

He played all over the line at OSU, just as Young has.  Now, I am not implying that we have the overall level of talent that the Giants had when they drafted JPP, but remember how many thought it was a bad pick because they alread had their DEs in place?  Same thing here, the dline is immediately upgraded, taking pressure of the next two levels of the defense.

I am in agreement with the pundits that Young is proving to be the best player in the country.  So with that said, I think it would be a fantastic move to get him if we know that the keys to the car are staying in the hands of Dalton or Finley.  In the minds of the front office and ticket sales, they might think that keeping him in-state will do wonders for the box office.
Reply/Quote
I’d love to have him. But you have to address QB first, and these ******** won’t play Finley to see what we might have in him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
who has been a great pick for us in the last 10 years? Other than AJ Green. Everyone on our team sucks.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:47 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: He played all over the line at OSU, just as Young has.  Now, I am not implying that we have the overall level of talent that the Giants had when they drafted JPP, but remember how many thought it was a bad pick because they alread had their DEs in place?  Same thing here, the dline is immediately upgraded, taking pressure of the next two levels of the defense.

I am in agreement with the pundits that Young is proving to be the best player in the country.  So with that said, I think it would be a fantastic move to get him if we know that the keys to the car are staying in the hands of Dalton or Finley.  In the minds of the front office and ticket sales, they might think that keeping him in-state will do wonders for the box office.

Sure, they all get shifted around, in an attempt to exploit a particular matchup, on a given play.  However, I've never known either of them to line up at Strong Side DE, with any regularity.  Now, in that 5 front that the Bengals were sporting early in the year, they might make an excellent tandem.  However, in order to make that effective, you really need a pair of studs at those two LB spots.  A pair like Ray Lewis teamed with Takeo Spikes, or similar.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If we say "Chase Young" too much we are going to get flagged by some FBI internet watchbot, just saying.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:50 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’d love to have him. But you have to address QB first, and these ******** won’t play Finley to see what we might have in him.

Or even Dolelaga.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, they all get shifted around, in an attempt to exploit a particular matchup, on a given play.  However, I've never known either of them to line up at Strong Side DE, with any regularity.  Now, in that 5 front that the Bengals were sporting early in the year, they might make an excellent tandem.  However, in order to make that effective, you really need a pair of studs at those two LB spots.  A pair like Ray Lewis teamed with Takeo Spikes, or similar.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

YES PLEASE!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Every year this happens, people get excited over this guy or that guy that’s not necessarily a position of need then complain that we never address the real issues. Would the Dline be better, maybe but the Oline, LBers and QB will still play like shit. Every round we wait to pick a player of need the percentage of that player even making it in the pros drops, much less being an impact player. If we select anyone that’s not a Oline, LB or QB And pull another ROSS I will be pissed. If ZT or Brown/Duke want the DE they better get off their ass in FA for once.
Reply/Quote
For most other positions I'd agree, but you can never have enough DL. And he looked amazing yesterday. He's not what we need with our first pick but I'd still be pretty psyched if we did.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we say "Chase Young" too much we are going to get flagged by some FBI internet watchbot, just saying.

Good thing he doesn't play for South Carolina! It will come to ya in a second.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:17 AM)treee Wrote: For most other positions I'd agree, but you can never have enough DL. And he looked amazing yesterday. He's not what we need with our first pick but I'd still be pretty psyched if we did.

Remember when Jadaveon Clowney was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember when Jadaveon Clowney was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl?

I'd rather have a DL than a QB from this upcoming batch. Most of all though I'd like to grab the best OL in college whoever that ends up being and calling it a day.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't often post in them, but I do read some of the Bengals FB groups postings.  After his 4 sack performance yesterday, it seems like the prevailing opinion in those groups is that the Bengals need Chase Young to come and save the franchise.

While I agree that Chase Young is a fantastic player, I don't really think that he's the "one guy" who can be added to this team, and suddenly things will change for the better.  The RDE position is currently filled by a rising star for the Bengals, Sam Hubbard.  So, if you bring in Chase Young, what do you do with Hubbard?  I'm sure that the knee-jerk reaction would be to just switch him to the LDE position, currently occupied by the recently extended Bengal great, Carlos Dunlap.

So, let's imagine that someone decides that Chase Young is the man, and the Bengals draft him.  Let's say that they have an epiphany, and decide that Dunlap is a great piece of trade material, and go with putting Hubbard over on the Left side.  I've never seen Hubbard play Strong Side End, in college or with the Bengals.  i'm not sure that he's physically cut out for that particular job.  So, in that case you would have 2 very similar players for the RDE position, and traded away your very good LDE.  Now what??

My point of making that illustration was to show that if the Bengals are drafting top 3, the wise move would be to go with the franchise QB, Joe Burrow.  When picking in the top of the draft, you need that cornerstone with which you're going to build your team around.  They already selected their LT of the future this year, in Jonah Williams, now it's time for the new franchise QB, LB, and RT to give this team some teeth.

Hubbard has played on the left and right side. They need to deal one or two guys for picks and then they can take Young at the top of 1, get Oline in the middle of round 1 (moving up with the picks they acquired in trade/what they already have) and they can take a QB in the top of round 2. There are going to be a lot of potentially good QBs coming out this year. 

Imagine...
1. Chase Young (ED)
1a. Calvin Throckmorton (RT)
2. Jalen Hurts (QB) 

There is going to be a good QB in rd 2 regardless. If there's a big run on QBs in the first, that's going to push better guys further down the draft. If the QBs don't go as fast in 1, it's going to give you better QBs in 2. 

There are many ways they can go in this draft. Burrow/Herbert/Eason in 1, Kindley (OG) in 2, or make that trade and do Burrow/Herbert/Eason in 1, move back into 1 and get a OL/LB then take Kindley at the top of 2...so many ways to go and then you can be smart and sign one or two good FAs instead signing/re-signing a bunch of crapsters. 

This team is honestly in a position to crush it this offseason with the draft and all the talent at their positions of need in Free Agency. 

It's make or break for the front office to see if they can do it or if they're too stupid or afraid to do what's necessary to make this team good again.

Theeeeee number one thing i don't want to see is them wimping out and trading down to "acquire more pics". They haven't shown the ability to find untapped talent later in the draft and they would be completely screwing themselves if they did this. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

It's rare for a DE to be a game changer. Maybe Khalil Mack. JJ Watt.

Not that young will be these guys...but Joey Bosa and Nick Bosa are good examples. They are good ends, but they don't single-handedly change games. Plus, say he averages 10 sacks a game for 5 years. His contract is up...I don't see the Bengals playing him $15+ million a year. By they, it might be $20 million a year.

You get a start QB and they are.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Theeeeee number one thing i don't want to see is them wimping out and trading down to "acquire more pics". They haven't shown the ability to find untapped talent later in the draft and they would be completely screwing themselves if they did this. 

1000X this^

When you're at the top of the draft, you're there for a reason.  The reason is that you truly need a player that can make a significant impact on the direction of your franchise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's rare for a DE to be a game changer. Maybe Khalil Mack. JJ Watt.

Not that young will be these guys...but Joey Bosa and Nick Bosa are good examples. They are good ends, but they don't single-handedly change games. Plus, say he averages 10 sacks a game for 5 years. His contract is up...I don't see the Bengals playing him $15+ million a year. By they, it might be $20 million a year.

You get a start QB and they are.

Overall, I 100% agree that we have to take the QB. It sucks because of Young's talent, but we did it to ourselves.

BUT, Young looks better than both Bosa's did in college. And Nick wrecked the Steelers a few weeks ago, and he's had incredible games.. I'd say he's dominating. 

But yes. Have to gamble on the QB first.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:36 AM)thillan Wrote: Overall, I 100% agree that we have to take the QB. It sucks because of Young's talent, but we did it to ourselves.

BUT, Young looks better than both Bosa's did in college. And Nick wrecked the Steelers a few weeks ago, and he's had incredible games.. I'd say he's dominating. 

But yes. Have to gamble on the QB first.

And that's possible. The Bengals have a way of ruining people though.

Honestly, we can debate what the right move is and I like doing that...but with the Bengals...who knows?

To not even take phone calls of teams asking to acquire our players is insane.

For all we know, we'll get the 2nd pick and select Justin Herbert. That's the kind of stuff this team does. Over and over and over and over and over again.
Reply/Quote