Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals/Bills game update
(01-03-2023, 11:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Clinically dead is not heart stoppage, it is lack of brain activity. I'm not downplaying his injury, but I am also optimistic since he got immediate care from physicians on the field. 

I was going to say that this is wrong, but it appears that there is plenty of confusion around "clinically dead". For a long time, clinical death was considered that stoppage of heart activity and cessation of breathing. Then, some people started calling it cessation of brain activity. Now, it appears that we have "circulatory death" and "brain death". For what it's worth, the top results for clinical death reference stoppage of heart activity and cessation of breathing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree and whatever the outcome, the NFL absolutely NEEDS the NFLPA, the Bills and the Bengals organizations to ALL be on board with the outcome. Best way to avoid or defeat most of the legal fallout from whatever outcome they choose.

Agreed, consensus is needed whatever the outcome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And you just know those POS's in KC will blow up should a win or tie be handed to Buffalo and Cincy.
Reply/Quote
Praying for Hamlin hard and the Bills organization. Prayers for you guys too. Horrible situation all around.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:14 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: It sucks but they should just do a live coin flip to decide winner and move on.

As dumb and ridiculous as that sounds to an average NFL fan . . . that's probably the best fix/outcome.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:14 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: It sucks but they should just do a live coin flip to decide winner and move on.

F that..... 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:41 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: As dumb and ridiculous as that sounds to an average NFL fan . . . that's probably the best fix/outcome.

If it's left to chance the Bengals should have better odds being up 7-3 and going to 14-3 most likely. The live ML should be factored in and used in some randomized simulation.  This whole situation is just bad, prayers for Hamlin and the players. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And you just know those POS's in KC will blow up should a win or tie be handed to Buffalo and Cincy.

right now they are as conflicted as everyone else is.  Sure there have been some jerks but for the most part they have been saying the right things.  They were as shocked as everyone else with the turn of events from last night

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Any scenario sucks but I’d expect a tie
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Resume the game Sunday or Monday. IF seeding or the division is still in play then make up the Ravens and Patriots game The following Thursday. Whatever playoff game should have been played on Wild Card weekend can then be made up on Wednesday after that weekend.

If the final game would have no substantial outcome on seeding or the playoffs then cancel the last game.

OR take away home field advantage completely for everyone in the AFC and make all games at a neutral field.
Reply/Quote
There is no easy solution that doesn’t screw over someone. I would just call it a game where it stood score wise. I would say the same if the Bengals were down at the time. From a football perspective it allows both teams to stay on schedule and not mess up their routine going into the post season.

From a Bengals fan perspective they were up 7-3 and marching. Lots of things could have happened between that play and the end of the game but we have to go on the data we have available.

From a human perspective I hope this kid makes a full recovery. I cannot imagine what the last 12 hours have been like for his family.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:54 AM)Cicero Wrote: From a human perspective I hope this kid makes a full recovery. I cannot imagine what the last 12 hours have been like for his family.

i can tell you from experience  when someone you love is on a ventilator and in an induced coma it is extremely unsettling to say the least.  Just seeing them like that.  Not even thinking about what the outcome could be.
Reply/Quote
It’s too dangerous to ask us to play off 3 games test

You aren’t about to mess up ours or their superbiwl run by getting us stupid injuries from trying to play 2 games in a 7 day period

I’ll take a tie or just coin toss it. Honestly the 1 seed was a long shot anyway.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right they never had anything like this happen before.

Big injuries yes. but nothing like this

The only thing that's never really happened before was the game getting suspended. Players get injured in nearly every game, some worse than others, but it's not so unusual it changed the course of history, the Ohio river or the universe. Sure it's sad, but so are broken bones or your grandma having a stroke. (Sorry if your grandma just recently had a stroke..nothing personal.) Reading all the responses here and elsewhere online one might think a bomb went off in the stadium killing several spectators, but nothing of the sort happened. A young man playing a very violent sport rolled the dice and lost. That's what it boils down to. Everyone who plays professional sports is well aware of the dangers of tough violent contact with other players or even inanimate objects like hard balls and bats even. 
No need to alter how the game resumes. No need to award extra points or penalties or to rub Buffalo's collective backs and pretend the Bengals did something wrong or Tee intentionally harmed this kid in any way. It was an unfortunate incident that at most likely will stir up the debate about the violent nature of football.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not on a mission to out pious anyone or put on a display of being the most sympathetic fan. I've seen my share of injuries and even violent death in my life to start playing that act.
Resume where they left off or cancel the whole damned season and think about whether the game is worth the collective tragedy, pain and the sadness that inevitably follows. That's my take on it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:52 AM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: Resume the game Sunday or Monday. IF seeding or the division is still in play then make up the Ravens and Patriots game The following Thursday. Whatever playoff game should have been played on Wild Card weekend can then be made up on Wednesday after that weekend.

If the final game would have no substantial outcome on seeding or the playoffs then cancel the last game.

OR take away home field advantage completely for everyone in the AFC and make all games at a neutral field.

Here's a wild idea: have the Bengals and Bills finish their game this Sunday in Cincinnati and have the Ravens play the Patriots. Result of the Ravens/Patriots game will be counted as the result of the Bills/Patriots and Ravens/Bengals games originally scheduled. I.e. if Ravens beat the Patriots, then the Bengals get a loss and the Bills get a win.

Obviously, I know this would NEVER happen, but would y'all be in favor of it?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here's a wild idea: have the Bengals and Bills finish their game this Sunday in Cincinnati and have the Ravens play the Patriots. Result of the Ravens/Patriots game will be counted as the result of the Bills/Patriots and Ravens/Bengals games originally scheduled. I.e. if Ravens beat the Patriots, then the Bengals get a loss and the Bills get a win.

Obviously, I know this would NEVER happen, but would y'all be in favor of it?

Still, bengals bills only play 16 games.

Might as well make it a no contest.
Reply/Quote
Wonder if they would start the game over or resume at the time it was stopped.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:16 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Wonder if they would start the game over or resume at the time it was stopped.

I think IF they resume play it needs to start from there the game was left off.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I think they should just make it a 16 game season for the Bills and Bengals.  No wins, no loss, no ties added to it.   Don't resume the game.

Would it be resumed and continue at the time of the stoppage or start a NEW game? 
I think it should be continued but NFL may have other ideas on that.
Praying for the best outcome here for Hamlin and the rest of this season. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:31 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Would it be resumed and continue at the time of the stoppage or start a NEW game? 
I think it should be continued but NFL may have other ideas on that.
Praying for the best outcome here for Hamlin and the rest of this season. 

Look at it like a NASCAR race. When there is a crash or rain delay, they do not go back to starting pole positions, they start in the order they were at the stoppage. It would make zero sense to start the game 0-0.
Reply/Quote