Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals/Bills game update
The whole nfl schedule has to be pushed back a week
Reply/Quote
They aren't going to go with a tie. They are not going to award the Bengals a win. They aren't going to flip a goddamned coin. They're going to play the game, and they're probably going to do it tomorrow. If not, then it will be after week 18. Maybe it even becomes the only week 18 game, and all the rest get pushed to the following week. Maybe only the Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens gets pushed to a new week. 

I'm not sure how they're going to pull it off, but there is simply no way that they decide to make a decision that could screw over the Bengals OR the Bills, let alone teams that aren't playing in the game like the Chiefs or the Ravens.

I know it may sound a bit crass, but the business will keep chugging forward. The NFL has done everything right up to this point in regards to respect for Damar Hamlin, his family, and the 2 franchises...no reason to think that doesn't continue. The Bengals and Bills will both show reverence and class when the game resumes like they have all along as well.

The worst part about it (well, the second worst) is that there will be nothing that comes of this. Nothing was done wrong, and therefore, there isn't anything to fix. It was a good play, a good tackle, and a good response from all parties. So it just leaves a lasting shock with the teams and fans that could be difficult to get over. I hope both teams are able to get any mental help that they may need...that had to be traumatizing for many on the field...particularly his Bills brothers and Tee Higgins.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They aren't going to go with a tie. They are not going to award the Bengals a win. They aren't going to flip a goddamned coin. They're going to play the game, and they're probably going to do it tomorrow. If not, then it will be after week 18. There is simply no way that they decide to make a decision that could screw over the Bengals OR the Bills, let alone teams that aren't playing in the game like the Chiefs or the Ravens.

I know it may sound a bit crass, but the business will keep chugging forward. The NFL has done everything right up to this point in regards to respect for Damar Hamlin, his family, and the 2 franchises...no reason to think that doesn't continue. The Bengals and Bills will both show reverence and class when the game resumes like they have all along as well.

The worst part about it (well, the second worst) is that there will be nothing that comes of this. Nothing was done wrong, and therefore, there isn't anything to fix. It was a good play, a good tackle, and a good response from all parties. So it just leaves a lasting shock with the teams and fans that could be difficult to get over. I hope both teams are able to get any mental help that they may need...that had to be traumatizing for many on the field...particularly his Bills brothers and Tee Higgins.

Not to mention if they play it after week 18, the ratings for the game would be astronomical.
Reply/Quote
Okay,whatever decision the NFL makes on this very sad,complicated situation,isn’t going to make everyone completely happy.We understand that.
But,this is a multi billion dollar business,and they’re going to have to make a decision.Whatever decision they make isn’t going to be met with 100% approval.
Reply/Quote
In 2001, they postponed week 1. The fallout was removing the game between Super Bowl and championship weekend. So there is precedent for that.

With that said… bill/bengals this week. Push the playoffs a week and have two games on WC weekend Sunday. Pats/Bills and Ravens/Bengals.

This allows for time to process. The only real changes are

1) extra bye week for ravens and pats, no big deal.
2) lost revenue by Super Bowl host city, nfl, etc.

This is the most logical decision.
Reply/Quote
To me, the only thing that makes sense is to play the game Wednesday at 1:00PM.  It sucks for both teams but the turn-around to next Sunday would be about the same as a Sunday-Thursday turn around.

I get that last night was not the time to talk about game outcomes or scheduling, but I hate this pious media posturing that it's somehow wrong to care about it.  "This game doesn't matter."  Of course it matters.  It matters to millions of people across the country.  

Of course, the health and wellbeing of Damar Hamlin are the most important thing right now.  But more than one thing can matter at a time and what they decide about how to schedule these games has no bearing on the outcome for Damar Hamlin.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:17 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: In 2001, they postponed week 1. The fallout was removing the game between Super Bowl and championship weekend.  So there is precedent for that.

With that said… bill/bengals this week.  Push the playoffs a week and have two games on WC weekend Sunday.  Pats/Bills and Ravens/Bengals.

This allows for time to process. The only real changes are

1) extra bye week for ravens and pats, no big deal.
2) lost revenue by Super Bowl host city, nfl, etc.

This is the most logical decision.

Yep, the more I think about it the more I wonder if they will just play Week 18 as per normal, and then schedule our game in for the week after. Playoffs back one week, Super Bowl as per normal. Maybe they could push the Pro Bowl to the week after the Super Bowl if they want to? I think that's the least disruption to the League, gets the games played as reasonably as could be etc.

A lot of this will depend on news regarding Hamlin though.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They aren't going to go with a tie. They are not going to award the Bengals a win. They aren't going to flip a goddamned coin. They're going to play the game, and they're probably going to do it tomorrow. If not, then it will be after week 18. Maybe it even becomes the only week 18 game, and all the rest get pushed to the following week. Maybe only the Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens gets pushed to a new week. 

I'm not sure how they're going to pull it off, but there is simply no way that they decide to make a decision that could screw over the Bengals OR the Bills, let alone teams that aren't playing in the game like the Chiefs or the Ravens.

I can realistically see the NFL scheduling the game for this week and the Bills saying "go **** yourself" and forfeiting.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They aren't going to go with a tie. They are not going to award the Bengals a win. They aren't going to flip a goddamned coin. They're going to play the game, and they're probably going to do it tomorrow. If not, then it will be after week 18. Maybe it even becomes the only week 18 game, and all the rest get pushed to the following week. Maybe only the Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens gets pushed to a new week. 

Not playing the game does not screw all teams, it hurts Ravens the most with division but Bengals and Bills can still compete for 2nd in AFC , this game did not matter much for WC teams... not sure how the tiebreaker would work but Bills lose this weekend and Bengals win puts them with same conference record.  I don;t see them scheduling this game Weds or Thurs especially if Hamlin passes away during that window
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:21 PM)Roland Wrote: To me, the only thing that makes sense is to play the game Wednesday at 1:00PM.  It sucks for both teams but the turn-around to next Sunday would be about the same as a Sunday-Thursday turn around.

I get that last night was not the time to talk about game outcomes or scheduling, but I hate this pious media posturing that it's somehow wrong to care about it.  "This game doesn't matter."  Of course it matters.  It matters to millions of people across the country.  

Of course, the health and wellbeing of Damar Hamlin are the most important thing right now.  But more than one thing can matter at a time and what they decide about how to schedule these games has no bearing on the outcome for Damar Hamlin.

They could move the Ravens/Bengals game to Monday or Tuesday night if need be. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not playing the game does not screw all teams, it hurts Ravens the most with division but Bengals and Bills can still compete for 2nd in AFC , this game did not matter much for WC teams... not sure how the tiebreaker would work but Bills lose this weekend and Bengals win puts them with same conference record.  I don;t see them scheduling this game Weds or Thurs especially if Hamlin passes away during that window

It screws the Bengals out of the 2 seed as well. If they beat the Bills they will most likely end up with a 2 seed an additional home playoff game. That's a big deal. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:21 PM)Roland Wrote: To me, the only thing that makes sense is to play the game Wednesday at 1:00PM.  It sucks for both teams but the turn-around to next Sunday would be about the same as a Sunday-Thursday turn around.

No way I see them playing tomorrow.. Bills are back home and need time to process this .. 1 day off the field is not going to be enough time...My gut says no contest play the games this weekend let wins/loss pct figure out Bengals and Bills fall
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They could move the Ravens/Bengals game to Monday or Tuesday night if need be. 

I like this idea.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It screws the Bengals out of the 2 seed as well. If they beat the Bills they will most likely end up with a 2 seed an additional home playoff game. That's a big deal. 

Indeed.  Not playing this game will result in many fans(including myself) moving on from NFL football.  This team has done a marvelous job recovering from a bad start and to penalize them by not playing a home game they were likely to win would be a gross moscarriage of justice to our players , team, and fans.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They could move the Ravens/Bengals game to Monday or Tuesday night if need be. 

Hell, let's just call that one a tie, too. 

"Tie,"  such silliness.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It screws the Bengals out of the 2 seed as well. If they beat the Bills they will most likely end up with a 2 seed an additional home playoff game. That's a big deal. 

Also changes who they play come Wildcard weekend. It's a significant deal all around. No one to blame for it, and many say it's too soon to discuss (and it may be), but this is a significant decision that will trickle down throughout the playoffs. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Not sure about that, if Bills lose this weekend and Bengals win they tie with record and conference record, they still could get it depending on what tiebreaker is next..
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:31 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Indeed.  Not playing this game will result in many fans(including myself) moving on from NFL football.  This team has done a marvelous job recovering from a bad start and to penalize them by not playing a home game they were likely to win would be a gross moscarriage of justice to our players , team, and fans.

the game should be resumed and played on Thursday and starting at the time the injury occured after TEEs catch. IMO
thoughts and prayers to Hamlin 
Reply/Quote
I don't know if it's been said.

Start the game where it was this Thursday night. Move the Ravens game to Wednesday night or whatever. Push the playoff schedule back a week.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The whole nfl schedule has to be pushed back a week

I believe this is the best option.
Reply/Quote