Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals/Bills game update
(01-03-2023, 01:31 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Indeed.  Not playing this game will result in many fans(including myself) moving on from NFL football.  This team has done a marvelous job recovering from a bad start and to penalize them by not playing a home game they were likely to win would be a gross moscarriage of justice to our players , team, and fans.

others could argue put the Bills through this process so quick is a "gross moscarriage of justice to their players, team and fans".  and NFL could lose fans that way also... 

In the end, im going to support whatever they decide even if i feel this game should be a no contest ... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure about that, if Bills lose this weekend and Bengals win they tie with record and conference record, they still could get it depending on what tiebreaker is next..

Calling the game a tie significantly reduces the odds of the Bengals getting the 2 seed. That's just a fact. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:31 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Would it be resumed and continue at the time of the stoppage or start a NEW game? 
I think it should be continued but NFL may have other ideas on that.
Praying for the best outcome here for Hamlin and the rest of this season. 

To clarify what I said better, I think the game should not be continued period.  The Bengals and Bills will end up with 16 game seasons and their winning percentages will be applied to the seedlings for the playoffs.  There is no good solution really.  But my concern would be safety factor for the players with a tight schedule to make this game up.  
Reply/Quote
What is going to happens is the game will he rescheduled for Thursday likely to fit it in as quick as possible. Both the Bengals and Bills will eat a short week be cause it was both their descions to not continue the game (correct desicion btw). If either team decides they don't want to continue the game they will collect a loss.

There is no fair way out of this situation but this one squarely puts this on the backs of the Bills and Bengals organization without involving the rest of the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Calling the game a tie significantly reduces the odds of the Bengals getting the 2 seed. That's just a fact. 

If KC loses this week we can still get the #1 seed with a win against Buffalo & Baltimore. Game has to be finished this week. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know if it's been said.

Start the game where it was this Thursday night. Move the Ravens game to Wednesday night or whatever. Push the playoff schedule back a week.

If the game IS played this week, I think it will be Thursday night (or maybe Wed.) And if it is broadcast on ESPN and ABC, it will be one of the most watched games EVER.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: What is going to happens is the game will he rescheduled for Tuesday most likely to fit it in as quick as possible. Both the Bengals and Bills will eat a short week be cause it was both their descions to not continue the game (correct desicion btw). If either team decides they don't want to continue the game they will collect a loss.

There is no fair way out of this situation but this one squarely puts this on the backs of the Bills and Bengals organization without involving the rest of the league.

Today is Tuesday.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:16 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Wonder if they would start the game over or resume at the time it was stopped.

Start from where stopped, for sure. 

I would guess the best precedents would be weather related suspensions instead of injuries. 

The bigger question is if you resume play at all. And I doubt it. To fit the game in, at all, it has to be soon. Today or tomorrow. You could move the Balt/Cincy & Pats/Bills games back a day or two. And readjust the PO schedule so affected teams get more rest before the first PO game.  But that is a tin of disruption and 3 of thexaffected teams are PO teams and the Pats sit 7th. 

All the teams would need to be OK with it, the TV partners, too. That is a lot of disruption & injury risk. A tie/no contest might actually be better for both teams. Or a loss for Buffalo (you can't give us a loss in a game we are leading). 

If the league wants it finished, both teams could just take knees. But no way the league schedules it without assurances it eould be an actual game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: What is going to happens is the game will he rescheduled for Tuesday most likely to fit it in as quick as possible. Both the Bengals and Bills will eat a short week be cause it was both their descions to not continue the game (correct desicion btw). If either team decides they don't want to continue the game they will collect a loss.

What if both teams decide to mail it in on Thursday? 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: What if both teams decide to mail it in on Thursday? 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 

7-3 Bengals win.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: What if both teams decide to mail it in on Thursday? 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 123 kick. 

Bengals would win because the score is 7-3. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:52 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Today is Tuesday.

Lol yes see I'm off this week cuz all day football yesterday with the Bowl games.

Reply/Quote
I want to preface by saying that this post is intended entirely for the purpose of discussing this topic, and is in no way meant to insinuate that this is more important than Hamlin's health.

With that said, there's no clean answer to this and the NFL is simply going to have to choose the least painful path.

1) The Bills and the Bengals each have games scheduled for Sunday at 1:00 PM. It's the last week of the season. The outcomes from Saturday's and Sunday's games affect playoff qualification and seeding. Even if yesterday's game was rescheduled for tomorrow, you're giving these teams three days of rest before they're right back to playing another game. Not feasible.

2) If you give both teams a tie, the Bengals win the AFC North by default. Baltimore will take issue.

3) If you give both teams a tie, the Bengals cannot finish any better than the #3 seed. They will take issue.

4) If you give both teams a tie, Kansas City gets the #1 seed. Buffalo will take issue.

5) If you simply take the score as it was (7-3) and declare the Bengals the winner, they take the #2 seed and Buffalo falls to #3. Buffalo takes issue.

Simply put, they can't conceivably reschedule this game and allow the Bengals and Bills enough rest time before their next scheduled games, not without completing shifting the post-season calendar. Maybe the NFL does that. I dunno.

And whether the game is declared for the Bengals, a tie, or a non-contest, someone's walking away upset.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not playing the game does not screw all teams, it hurts Ravens the most with division but Bengals and Bills can still compete for 2nd in AFC , this game did not matter much for WC teams... not sure how the tiebreaker would work but Bills lose this weekend and Bengals win puts them with same conference record.  I don;t see them scheduling this game Weds or Thurs especially if Hamlin passes away during that window

Calling this game a tie would knock the Bills out of the #1, forcing them to hope for KC to drop their last game. It would eliminate the Bengals from contention for the #1 and #2 seed. It would eliminate the Ravens from AFCN contention.

That’s all a big deal. They’re not calling the game a tie.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:07 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Calling this game a tie would knock the Bills out of the #1, forcing them to hope for KC to drop their last game. It would eliminate the Bengals from contention for the #1 and #2 seed. It would eliminate the Ravens from AFCN contention.

Johnny, you are one smart cupcake. I agree totally.

Ties are for wussies. I've never kissed my sister and never will.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
There is zero basis for calling the game a tie. Either they replay it, starting where the left off, or they declare the Bengals the winner since they were ahead. Or, they call it a no contest. Calling it a tie is like assigning points.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:07 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Calling this game a tie would knock the Bills out of the #1, forcing them to hope for KC to drop their last game. It would eliminate the Bengals from contention for the #1 and #2 seed. It would eliminate the Ravens from AFCN contention.

The issue is that the Bengals and Bills thoughts on the issue are moot.  Both teams decided not to continue the game.  KC would have no complaints.  The Ravens might, but there's no guarantee that the Bills would have won or tied.  In fact, looking at the emotional state of the Bills last night, they would have likely lost if the game was forced to continue.  It's really not much different than a scenario where a team needs help to get in, but one of the teams rests it's starters and hands the other an easy W.  The Ravens would at least have the consolation prize of being locked into the playoffs and able to rest their starters before the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is zero basis for calling the game a tie. Either they replay it, starting where the left off, or they declare the Bengals the winner since they were ahead. Or, they call it a no contest. Calling it a tie is like assigning points.

Calling it no contest gives you the same result as calling it a tie
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:06 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I want to preface by saying that this post is intended entirely for the purpose of discussing this topic, and is in no way meant to insinuate that this is more important than Hamlin's health.  

With that said, there's no clean answer to this and the NFL is simply going to have to choose the least painful path.

1) The Bills and the Bengals each have games scheduled for Sunday at 1:00 PM.  It's the last week of the season.  The outcomes from Saturday's and Sunday's games affect playoff qualification and seeding.  Even if yesterday's game was rescheduled for tomorrow, you're giving these teams three days of rest before they're right back to playing another game.  Not feasible.

2) If you give both teams a tie, the Bengals win the AFC North by default.  Baltimore will take issue.

3) If you give both teams a tie, the Bengals cannot finish any better than the #3 seed.  They will take issue.

4) If you give both teams a tie, Kansas City gets the #1 seed.  Buffalo will take issue.

5) If you simply take the score as it was (7-3) and declare the Bengals the winner, they take the #2 seed and Buffalo falls to #3.  Buffalo takes issue.

Simply put, they can't conceivably reschedule this game and allow the Bengals and Bills enough rest time before their next scheduled games, not without completing shifting the post-season calendar.  Maybe the NFL does that.  I dunno.

And whether the game is declared for the Bengals, a tie, or a non-contest, someone's walking away upset.

The bolded part is partially incorrect. The time for the Bengals game has not been established yet. It was going to be determined by the outcome of the now suspended game.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:45 PM)Billy_Bengal Wrote: Calling it no contest gives you the same result as calling it a tie

The result may be the same, but the game was not a tie. It was 7-3. In what world is 7-3 a tie? A "tie" indicates the game was completed. Calling it a tie means the league assigned 4 points to the Bills.
Reply/Quote