Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Board Fantasy Baseball (The Show)
(04-11-2023, 11:00 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure, and that's what counts most. We'll have some fun from week to week as we watch my team win it all.  Tongue

Since Kevin put up 200 points on Monday, we have decided to change the rules, again, but only for Kevin's team... Hilarious

Joking of course, Kevin.
Reply/Quote
As I said after the draft, my hitting is awful. I was forced to make some early moves on hitting. You can't really go too much on first weeks of season.

I do think I have a few hitters who will have OK seasons. Mostly my Catcher and my Outfielders. Suarez will have his home run streaks as he did with Reds as an infielder. I think in time I can have hitters who are solid. not Stars mind you, but solid regulars on teams I wouldn't want to replace. I'm not there yet.

So my hitting stinks, but I do have some players who I know will put up OK numbers over the season. My Infield hitters are weak, but in time I'll have some of them I can be content to go with. I'm already happier with Tampa First Base who many may remember as a Boston Red Sox hitter who use to bat upper .300's and I'm hoping .270 and 70 RBI's. Yelich crossed the plate around 100 times last year, so if he scored runs again, that's fine. If Perez can give me 30 homers as a catcher, fine. I have some outfielders who could hit 30 homers. Suarez is usually good for 30 homers.

I think a lot of MLB teams are still tinkering with their line-ups, so it's too early to say which free agents are going to get playing time, but that will soon clear up over April and May. I won't get the best hitters, but I will get hitters playing a lot and putting up some points, and that right there would be an improvement. I'm OK with my Catcher and Outfielders, I know they can hit. I'll get my Infield together in time.

I couldn't beat many teams in our league yet, due to lack of hitting points, but my hitting will get better, it's just early in the season yet. My goal is to find hitters so that I don't have to use every add on allowed. That is too much work. Even last year with Judge, he had weeks of few points, you don't bench or drop them. We are just coming out of the gate and not even to the first turn. Hopefully at the First Turn, I will have every day hitters to keep me with the pack around the track to the final turn in August, with something in the tank for that final stretch to the finish line. We are not even at the First Turn yet. My horse is in there, but I need to get some more everyday infielders I can count on to keep pace and get me around the track, if I am to keep pace with the better teams in this race.

Injuries, need to save add on moves for those. Always a lot of injuries, I think I added a good one in Braves infielder, but he is injured. Waiting for his return. Add Ons are like Time Outs in NFL, I'd like to have many of them for the 2 minute warnings. But, sometimes injuries use up a lot.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm glad I added one of the Top 10 hitters so far today from Free Agency in Cubs Third Baseman. That gave me one hitter on Page One of All Players Points. I then added Two on Page Two which gives me the One, plus 6 on Page Two, so 7 players hitting well so far in my line-up. I have the worst hitting numbers in the League, but I'm trying to be more solid on hitting. I had added players who had a good first weeks or two but fell off, or got benched, or got injured. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of the hitters I added this week can stay healthy, keep hitting and keep getting playing time.

I hated to use my Waiver position, but my hitting is awful and I had to go after The Cubs hitter with over 100 points already. I now go to last in Waiver position, but I had to add hitting. I have worst hitting stats in League, but trying to move up over the season. Plus his 8 Homers already, now if he can keep hitting them for me.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
My team is currently struggling. I did a poor job paying attention to the scoring. I mistakenly thought it was an all or nothing weekly competition. Ex., if my team steals more bases than the opponent then I win that category.

No worries though about my mistake, it's a fun league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 12:08 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm glad I added one of the Top 10 hitters so far today from Free Agency in Cubs Third Baseman.  That gave me one hitter on Page One of All Players Points.  I then added Two on Page Two which gives me the One, plus 6 on Page Two, so 7 players hitting well so far in my line-up.   I have the worst hitting numbers in the League, but I'm trying to be more solid on hitting.  I had added players who had a good first weeks or two but fell off, or got benched, or got injured.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of the hitters I added this week can stay healthy, keep hitting and keep getting playing time.  

I hated to use my Waiver position, but my hitting is awful and I had to go after The Cubs hitter with over 100 points already.  I now go to last in Waiver position, but I had to add hitting.  I have worst hitting stats in League, but trying to move up over the season. Plus his 8 Homers already, now if he can keep hitting them for me.

I didn't really want to cut him because of his power, but that batting average is worrisome. That said, good add! I would have re-added him if someone hadn't have claimed him. 
He'll stay in their line-up as long as he keeps hitting dingers, but if he cools off, he will be in a platoon. 
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 12:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My team is currently struggling. I did a poor job paying attention to the scoring. I mistakenly thought it was an all or nothing weekly competition. Ex., if my team steals more bases than the opponent then I win that category.

No worries though about my mistake, it's a fun league.

The thing about FBB is that it is a marathon where FFB is a sprint. A lot can happen in the next 6 months.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 01:42 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The thing about FBB is that it is a marathon where FFB is a sprint. A lot can happen in the next 6 months.

For sure and I look forward to the marathon.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 01:40 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I didn't really want to cut him because of his power, but that batting average is worrisome. That said, good add! I would have re-added him if someone hadn't have claimed him. 
He'll stay in their line-up as long as he keeps hitting dingers, but if he cools off, he will be in a platoon. 

Well, in past I haven't even drafted pitchers that get Saves.  None.  But I looked at who was in play-offs last year, and those teams put up some Saves.  So I always liked Wins, but I decided I wanted some Saves.  I ended up getting Cleveland's Clase and Bieber to start.  Want Trout next as I got Judge in round 3 last year, but I drafted near end, so a long wait to get to 3 and Trout was long gone.  So I focused on the young pitchers list I made out during off season.  I was able to get some hitters I wanted in Diaz, Yelich, Garcia, Suarez, Teoscar Hernandez, and Happ.  The rest were below what I had hoped. 

So I got the pitching I wanted including me drafting bullpen for a change.  I'm happy with them.  I got some hitters I wanted, but I said early on that I would have to work Free Agency to improve on some of the stiffs I drafted as late round hitters. 

So I've got the worst hitting numbers in the league, and that won't cut it.   I'm trying to fix this fast and have players I can go all season with.   Such as adding Merrifield as an infielder / outfielder.  MLB has made the stolen base more worth trying with larger bases and things,  So Merrifield is the type player that if he starts for Toronto could put up better than average season numbers.  

I won't have an Aaron Judge this year, but maybe I can put together a solid group who all put up numbers that are good.  I will not have the best hitting numbers, but I think I can avoid having the worst hitting numbers and finish around the middle of the league in hitting.  I have pitching because my draft was top end loaded on pitching, but I'm hoping I can get my hitting out of the basement, and go weeks without a player move, happy with my hitters. 

One up side for me is I would go seasons with No saves and No holds, because I was all about Starters and Starters listed as Relievers. So I do have Saves and Holds this year so far, and some seasons I had None. I decided that was a flaw in my team the last few years.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
My schedule gets a whole lot tougher starting Monday, with 3 weeks of opponents putting up huge numbers. This is why I've been trying to upgrade my hitting. I hope I did, or I could get whipped 3 weeks in a row. The Ohio team and Dune Dogs and a McNeil team not Houndizzles, all 3 scoring a ton of points......Ohio knights, Dune Dogs. Double Trouble.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 07:59 AM)kevin Wrote: My schedule gets a whole lot tougher starting Monday,  with 3 weeks of opponents putting up huge numbers.  This is why I've been trying to upgrade my hitting.  I hope I did, or I could get whipped 3 weeks in a row.  The Ohio team and Dune Dogs and a McNeil team not Houndizzles, all 3 scoring a ton of points.

My cousins Brad and Bryan. They are both Reds guys. They grew up with season tickets and know their baseball. Brad has got better every year since he joined, and this is Bryans first time playing FBB. That said, it's pretty obvious that they have caught on fairly quickly. Several tough teams in the new league. Don't sleep on team Marsh. She knows her stuff! She is the absolute Queen of fantasy basketball. I've never seen her lose a league in 15 years, never!! She rarely loses a game in basketball.
Reply/Quote
So far, it's looks like a very competitive week across the league. Tecmo is on me like a bad rash. Lol
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 04:00 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: So far, it's looks like a very competitive week across the league. Tecmo is on me like a bad rash. Lol

I have to get back to .500 and respectability.
Reply/Quote
I ran into a buzz saw on Ohio Knights, to the point trying to catch up on Sunday was impossible. So I made a few needed moves to get ready for Dune Dogs on Monday. Always tough Dune Dogs. Dumping some injured list and moving others to injured list and adding some hitters over 100 points in April. I do mostly have a line-up of all 100 point players in April, or close to it for hitters. Now I didn't have most of them all April, so it doesn't help my past hitting stats, but they may help me in May if I have better hitters than what I had after the draft. Adding players who were off the draft radar, but are having a good 2023.

I'm starting to get better at 2nd base / SS positions. Those were hard to find. Also I went a week or so early on with no first baseman, but Ramirez of Tampa came on and I added him back after dropping him, So I've got a team of April 100 point hitters at all positions and bench, or close to 100. I have pitching. I'm as set as I can be for May and facing Dune dogs.

Ohio Knights jumped too far out in front, but that's going to happen now and then, you opponent is on fire all week. That's the thing and why every team is dangerous. Not every team is bad every week, not every team is good every week. These players have good weeks and bad weeks and so the League Teams are a roller coaster ride up and down. You never say you have an easy match this week, because those teams jump up and bite you. However I do knw to expect a tough Dune Dogs after getting whipped by Ohio Knights. Dune Dogs makes the play-offs about every year, and I've had trouble beating him in past. Any wins I've had on Dune Dogs are something I'm proud of, because he can get out the broom and sweep you some seasons.

So I used some moves that don't count as next week on a couple more top hitters in April over 100 points, to end April and get ready for a Dune Dog start to May. Ohio Knights was too far out of reach. I got an outfielder and a shortstop over 100, which isn't bad. I dropped a struggling reliever and a starting pitcher I considered one I could part with maybe, to bring in these 2 top hitters in April to my team needing more hitting.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I made it back to .500 but now face the league's dominating force: Team Marsh.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 09:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I made it back to .500 but now face the league's dominating force: Team Marsh.

Good W last week. Pretty tough to be dominant every week. I put up 824 the week before we played and didn't break 600 against you. The injury bug and inconsistency has been my team's moto thus far. I need Glasnow, Soroka, and Stanton to get going. 

Marsh, DDs, and my cousins Brad and Bryan are all putting up numbers. 
Reply/Quote
Tough league. I knocked off the undefeated team and didn't gain any ground in the standings.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 09:06 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Tough league. I knocked off the undefeated team and didn't gain any ground in the standings.

Did you bet Team Marsh.  If so, you are 1 game out of 1st.   Had you lost, 3 games out.  

There are no undefeated teams now.  

I got a win over undefeated and tough Dune Dogs.   I must be the most under rated 4-1 team, because standings show all 4-1 teams as good play-off odds except me.  Although I'm 4-1, it has my chances of play-offs as bad as a 1-4 team.  Even after beating a good team like Dune Dogs.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 01:30 PM)kevin Wrote: Did you bet Team Marsh.  If so, you are 1 game out of 1st.   Had you lost, 3 games out.  

There are no undefeated teams now.  

I got a win over undefeated and tough Dune Dogs.   I must be the most under rated 4-1 team, because standings show all 4-1 teams as good play-off odds except me.  Although I'm 4-1, it has my chances of play-offs as bad as a 1-4 team.  Even after beating a good team like Dune Dogs.  

Yes, but overall points has me behind 3 teams in my division and thus no gaining ground.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 01:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Yes, but overall points has me behind 3 teams in my division and thus no gaining ground.

Don't worry about points.  Won and Lost record is the way to play-offs.  

I could have had around 30 more points last week, but I had won and why risk my Sunday late game pitchers going negative and losing to Dune Dogs.  So if I've won on Sunday and no way my opponent can come back, I will bench my 4 PM and 7 PM pitchers and relievers and the heck with points. Of course if I'm behind or too close to call, I play everybody in Sunday 4 PM and 7 PM. I've won or lost a week on what my players or opponents players did on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. After a whole week, I've seen lead go back and forth and week even won or lost in extra innings, which is one tight weeks battle.

So be glad you beat an undefeated team and I beat an undefeated team, and your 4-1 record puts you in first with other 4-1 teams.  However 3-2 teams are right on our rear ends, and 2-3 teams can gain ground fast.  The 1-4 and 0-5 teams can and do get hot in this league and start beating the teams in first, just like in real baseball.  

This is not short season football.   Be glad you are tied for First Place with May, June, July, August to go before play-offs in September, by which time we will be going at it in football.  Just like real baseball, injuries and slumps happen to our players, and so the teams putting up huge points now may not be in some months.  One thing is sure, often a team putting up huge points one week, will struggle to score the next week.  This has been pointed out on here by many over the years.  I think a big reason is sometimes you get lucky and have your best pitchers go twice in a week, but then the next week they will only go once in middle of week.  Also depends on how many off days on Monday or Thursday for your players. Sometime lucky and not too bad, sometimes you get hit hard, but you can't dump good players just because they have a day off, because the next week they may have few days off. 

So Fantasy Points change, and its about who gets Hot and Cold, which the two 1st Place teams who lost got cold.  Also getting Lucky.  After playing 5 months, the most consistent teams make the play-offs, so it works out.   HUGE is WON and LOSS Record, because this is a head to head league, not a total points league or roto league.  Many teams would love to have your 4-1 record, you are doing good Tecmo and Nobody is 5-0.  You and Me saw to that knocking off 4-0 teams last week.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I faced tough choice in other ESPN League of fewer hitters, fewer pitchers, fewer players per team. Aaron Judge off IL and I had to open up my DH spot. I had one too many 3rd Basemen. I kept Reardon and dropped the cubs 3rd Baseman with 11 homers but .230 BA, for once All Star Reardon batting .300 but few homers, although in past he has hit homers. These small line-up leagues really force some tough choice, but Aaron Judge had to come off IL, and my OF spots were full. It came down to that I could not carry two 3rd Basemen. Now on my team in this League, I'm glad to have the Cubs 3rd Baseman, and Reardon is not an option as on someone else's team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote