Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cap Situation going into Free agency
Overall cap space: $50,776,466

Offense: $71,539,059
Defense: $68,393,731

Special teams: $5,685,000

Analysis: The Bengals are pretty consistent from year to year with their cap space, usually rolling over several million dollars that they use only for extending their own players. That often means they see themselves as having less cap space than they actually do. What does that mean for their free-agency outlook? The Bengals might go after some middle-tier free agents like they have in the past, but it's unlikely they'd make a big splash that would seismically shift their cap situation. Priority re-signings this season are Tyler Eifert and Darqueze Dennard. -- Katherine Terrell

From ESPN.
Reply/Quote
From ESPN.

Only 6 other teams have more cap space than the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From ESPN.

Only 6 other teams have more cap space than the Bengals.

Here's the top 10:

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's the top 10::

its like the colts are only paying luck right now
Reply/Quote
Dont forget they have draft picks, some extensions (Green, Boyd), a choice on Dennard and minor roster spots like backup TEs and OL.

I'd say they have a shot at one good free agent and I would guess a linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its like the colts are only paying luck right now

And still made the playoffs.  Makes their prospects kinda scary good.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Still confused on why they haven't cut Vontaz yet
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its like the colts are only paying luck right now

Luck, Hilton, Ebron and Costanzo are about it really. A lot of rookie deals and retreads on that team.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Dont forget they have draft picks, some extensions (Green, Boyd), a choice on Dennard and minor roster spots like backup TEs and OL.

I'd say they have a shot at one good free agent and I would guess a linebacker.

Hobson is this you
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Hobson is this you

Pointing out how short sighted one set of cap numbers are when signing players to multi year deals.

Next year extensions could include guys like William Jackson Joe Mixon Carl Lawson...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:36 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Still confused on why they haven't cut Vontaz yet

why cut him if you haven't replaced him...
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: why cut him if you haven't replaced him...

I kind of feel like it will happen once the legal tampering window opens up and we know we have a replacement. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: why cut him if you haven't replaced him...

Because he isn't good anymore.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
FWIW, over the past 3 seasons, the Bengals have been extremely consistent in the total amounts spent on free agency, with the average cap space during that time being around 39m:

Estimated Cap Space - 38m
Free Agents re-signed - 21.7m
Outside FA's signed - 5.3m
Total cap spent - 27m

Estimated Cap Space - 42m
Free Agents re-signed - 19.5m
Outside FA's signed - 8.1m
Total cap spent - 27.6m

Estimated Cap Space - 39 m
Free Agents re-signed - 6.4m
Outside FA's signed - 8.8m
Cordy Glenn trade - 11.2m
Total cap spent - 26.4m

Even with 50-51m in cap this year, I would expect them to remain around that 27m average for free agency - which includes signing outside guys and re-signing their own. Maybe they bump the total to 30m, but I would be stunned if it went much higher than that. 

For me, the more important aspect is HOW they spend that money, and how much say Taylor will have in those decisions.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 02:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Overall cap space: $50,776,466

Offense: $71,539,059
Defense: $68,393,731

Special teams: $5,685,000

Analysis: The Bengals are pretty consistent from year to year with their cap space, usually rolling over several million dollars that they use only for extending their own players. That often means they see themselves as having less cap space than they actually do. What does that mean for their free-agency outlook? The Bengals might go after some middle-tier free agents like they have in the past, but it's unlikely they'd make a big splash that would seismically shift their cap situation. Priority re-signings this season are Tyler Eifert and Darqueze Dennard. -- Katherine Terrell

Re-sign Dennard and Eifert. Sign KJ Wright MIKE backer and JuWaun James RT as outside FA's.

We have plenty of dough to do this then...

Draft Devin White WILL backer, Lidstrom RG, best available TE in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:32 PM)McC Wrote: And still made the playoffs.  Makes their prospects kinda scary good.

Yep. The Colts and Browns should be able to improve a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: FWIW, over the past 3 seasons, the Bengals have been extremely consistent in the total amounts spent on free agency, with the average cap space during that time being around 39m:

Estimated Cap Space - 38m
Free Agents re-signed - 21.7m
Outside FA's signed - 5.3m
Total cap spent - 27m

Estimated Cap Space - 42m
Free Agents re-signed - 19.5m
Outside FA's signed - 8.1m
Total cap spent - 27.6m

Estimated Cap Space - 39 m
Free Agents re-signed - 6.4m
Outside FA's signed - 8.8m
Cordy Glenn trade - 11.2m
Total cap spent - 26.4m

Even with 50-51m in cap this year, I would expect them to remain around that 27m average for free agency - which includes signing outside guys and re-signing their own. Maybe they bump the total to 30m, but I would be stunned if it went much higher than that. 

For me, the more important aspect is HOW they spend that money, and how much say Taylor will have in those decisions.

Probably so. I appreciate you putting those numbers together.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Re-sign Dennard and Eifert. Sign KJ Wright MIKE backer and JuWaun James RT as outside FA's.

We have plenty of dough to do this then...

Draft Devin White WILL backer, Lidstrom RG, best available TE in the 3rd.

That would be amazing.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:32 PM)McC Wrote: And still made the playoffs.  Makes their prospects kinda scary good.

You never can tell.  Many of their best players from last year might be free agents right now.

I know they spent a good bit on the O-line in addition to Luck.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even with 50-51m in cap this year, I would expect them to remain around that 27m average for free agency 

Why?  If they have an extra $10 million in cap space and don't increase spending then they will be reducing their payroll by $10 million.

I can't imagine they would do that with a new coach.  I'd say they would spend at least as much as they have the last 3 years and leave about 10-14 million to roll over.
Reply/Quote