Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Bengals Cut The Cord On Nelson
(03-09-2016, 05:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.....and I'm not 100% sold on Williams yet either.  He flashed, but will he play consistently well?

The safety situation is tough. If Nelson were 4-5 years younger, I'd be pissed that they preferred Iloka. I think Reggie played a bigger role for us. I can see why they went with youth though. That said, I feel like there's going to be a bigger drop off from Reggie to Shawn than there would've been from Iloka to Shawn, if that makes sense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The safety situation is tough. If Nelson were 4-5 years younger, I'd be pissed that they preferred Iloka. I think Reggie played a bigger role for us. I can see why they went with youth though. That said, I feel like there's going to be a bigger drop off from Reggie to Shawn than there would've been from Iloka to Shawn, if that makes sense.

Yes, makes total sense.  I understand the move as well....had Iloka left, they would have HAD to keep Nelson to help tutor Williams, IMO.  I'd still like to keep him, but looks like it isn't meant to be.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. MLJ, Iloka, Nelson and Pacman were the big 4 imo.

If they only sign 1 out of 4 I think we have to view that as a failure.

Huge failure when you consider we are paying Peko, Rey M,  AJ Hawk, Mike Nugent, and Chris Lewis Harris for 10 million cuttable dollars. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'd be livid if they did that. I'd max out at him for maybe $3 if they really think they need him. 

Right.  That'd be borderline high too....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Nelson was a HUGE part of the Bengals having 5 straight play-off seasons for a franchise more known for not being in the play-offs. His career here makes him one of the best safety careers for the Bengals in team history. He will probably go somewhere and have some more very good seasons. Yes, I hope the kids can step up. ...Nelsons biggest play to me was making that interception against Steelers in 2012 to give us a chance at game winning field goal. Without that play, I think that game ends in an overtime tie game. Nobody was scoring. It was a big play.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:33 PM)J24 Wrote: Huge failure when you consider we are paying Peko, Rey M,  AJ Hawk, Mike Nugent, and Chris Lewis Harris for 10 million cuttable dollars. 

Good point. This is where the loyalty crap comes back to bite us. Honestly though, they should have enough money to sign 1-2 more guys even without making cuts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Williams isn't the ballhawk coverage safety that Nelson is. Better suited to have taken Ilokas spot. Our secondary is manned by two in the box safety's. Scary for a pass first league. Awaiting Hobs telling us that all the money is spent on Iloka, and not enough for another "big" signing. Which at this point we probably was lucky to get one player back.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Now watch him go to Bmore or Pittsburgh Sick
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Williams isn't the ballhawk coverage safety that Nelson is. Better suited to have taken Ilokas spot. Our secondary is manned by two in the box safety's. Scary for a pass first league. Awaiting Hobs telling us that all the money is spent on Iloka, and not enough for another "big" signing. Which at this point we probably was lucky to get one player back.

Iloka is not an in the box safety
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point. This is where the loyalty crap comes back to bite us. Honestly though, they should have enough money to sign 1-2 more guys even without making cuts.
Yep
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 07:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Iloka is not an in the box safety

For damn sure, Iloka is about the rangiest Safety in the league.
Reply/Quote
In what I am sure is totally unrelated news, the sexual assault rate in Pittsburgh jumped 30% after that news was announced. Some residents claim to have heard what sounded an awful lot like Ben Roethlisberger screaming at the tops of his lungs "I'm freeeee! Now nobody can stop me!"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Nelson just peaked massively. Although he made some splash picks, his normally sure-tackling dropped off, as did some of his speed. Love what the guy gave us, and will be sad to see him go. But if a team gives him one last big contract it will be the right decision to part ways.

Reply/Quote
Hate to see Reggie leave. He is a iron man.
Reply/Quote
Wish he took the 2 year deal they offer. Will be tough seeing him go. Have fun in Minnesota reggie!
Reply/Quote
He's not going to Minni, they signed Griffin. Interesting...

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:14 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: He's not going to Minni, they signed Griffin. Interesting...

I forgot all about Griffin getting cut by the Titans. I'm guessing he's coming in cheaper than Nelson.

EDIT: According to Lap, the Bengals will look to bring back Nelson if they can't bring Pacman back.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd be ecstatic to see Nelson get signed in a few days to a contract with us. I wouldn't count it out yet. Zimmet was his best chance at a contract and they chose someone else. So, maybe the FO knew what they were doing. We will have to wait to see. Love me.some Reggie though. Want to see him in stripes next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I forgot all about Griffin getting cut by the Titans. I'm guessing he's coming in cheaper than Nelson.

EDIT: According to Lap, the Bengals will look to bring back Nelson if they can't bring Pacman back.

They should be able to get both. They only spent $6 million on Iloka. Nelson's suitors are dwindling, and Adam Jones should already be re-signed.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Dude is a monster against our biggest and most hated rival. Steeler fans loathe him. What's not to keep?

Reply/Quote