Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
(08-30-2022, 08:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This is just me taking a guess, but maybe his job doesn’t entail tackling. Maybe it’s contain and funneling. But I guess you’d still think he’d make a few more tackles.

It's tough for gunners to make tackles because they are basically running full speed.  A lot of their job is to get down field fast enough to keep contain on the returner and make them have to make their first cut early to slow them down.  And a lot of times they have to beat a double team to do it when the return team is set up for a return instead of a block.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What about Mitchell Wilcox and Isaiah Prince?
Like CTB and Kareem, are they going on short term IR until healthy?
Maybe we bring back Moss/Rigg.
Are there any decent OL that were cut beyond Leatherwood?
IF WR Mike Thomas is getting one of those 4 spots and a TE to fill the Wilcox void, what should we do with the other 2 roster spots?
Does one of those spots go to Bates?
Could we see Pryor return after the dust settles?
Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 08:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: So, how does the waiver process go for players who have been released and are not vested veterans? Are the Bengals next to last in making claims to add someone to the practice squad, because they were in the Super Bowl.

In other words, since a released player has to pass through waivers before being added to a practice squad, does every other team but the Rams get first crack at making that claim to add someone to their practice squad?

No, they have to sign them to their top 53 roster off waivers. If not, original team likely gets guys in their camp.

But, I do think they could be offered more by another team to join their practice squad, but could be wrong or it rarely happens.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 09:29 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote: What about Mitchell Wilcox and Isaiah Prince?
Like CTB and Kareem, are they going on short term IR until healthy?
Maybe we bring back Moss/Rigg.
Are there any decent OL that were cut beyond Leatherwood?
IF WR Mike Thomas is getting one of those 4 spots and a TE to fill the Wilcox void, what should we do with the other 2 roster spots?
Does one of those spots go to Bates?
Could we see Pryor return after the dust settles?
Tiger

As far as "decent" OL that got cut, Cedric Ogbuehi was released.  He would honestly be an upgrade at swing T over Smith, Prince, or Adeniji at this point.

KC released C Austin Reiter,.  He was bad last year, but solid most years before that.

Pittsburgh released long time reserve T Joe Haeg.

Aside from that, a couple of draft board faves of the past in Wyatt Davis and Solomon Kindley got waived.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 09:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No, they have to sign them to their top 53 roster off waivers. If not, original team likely gets guys in their camp.

But, I do think they could be offered more by another team to join their practice squad, but could be wrong or it rarely happens.

Thanks. That's helpful. So, basically, if there is a waiver claim, it is to put them on the 53 roster of the claiming team. If they don't get claimed, they are essentially free agents, and could go to any team's practice squad, but almost always select to go to the the practice squad of their original team. Probably makes a lot more sense to go to the team they have been connected to since after the draft or even longer in those there multiple years.
Reply/Quote

I'm sure they are looking at several positions. But I just thought this was a little silly as I think our secondary is very deep and certainly not a targeted area I would be looking.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 08:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks just see Michael Thomas doesn't put up 100 yard seasons and say "we need to replace him".

Fixed it for you. Nobody is complaining that he doesn't put up 1,000 yard seasons.

He has 184 yards in 2 years with the Bengals. In his 6 year career he has a total of 328 receiving yards, 1 career TD, and only has a catch rate of 52.8%. He's heading into his age 28 season and he still is a healthy scratch at times.

He is Dane Sanzenbacher pt 2.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 11:54 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Just means if you are a decent UDFA do not go to the Bengals because they keep the vets till they are in the 40's.

Hmm maybe it was he was a udfa and lacked any special  team advantage and was buried as a 6/7 wr...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fixed it for you. Nobody is complaining that he doesn't put up 1,000 yard seasons.

He has 184 yards in 2 years with the Bengals. In his 6 year career he has a total of 328 receiving yards, 1 career TD, and only has a catch rate of 52.8%. He's heading into his age 28 season and he still is a healthy scratch at times.

Most 4-6 wrs don't put up #  especially if starters don't get hurt, they make teams alot on there specials and other intangibles  ie Thomas
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fixed it for you. Nobody is complaining that he doesn't put up 1,000 yard seasons.

Nah, you really fixed nothing. He's our 6th WR and a Super Bowl coach wants him on the team. Maybe they just know a little more about what he brings to the team than we do. He's not on the team to be a WR, that's just the position they assign him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most 4-6 wrs don't put up #  especially if starters don't get hurt, they make teams alot on there specials and other intangibles  ie Thomas

I really don't understand folks sometimes. Should we replace Thomas with Will Fuller? He has 4 years of over 500 receiving yards. He can't offer us anything else, but he's gained yards in his career. Bring him in and take reps away from the Big 3 and have one of them play ST, cause Will is not
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I really don't understand folks sometimes. Should we replace Thomas with Will Fuller? He has 4 years of over 500 receiving yards. He can't offer us anything else, but he's gained yards in his career. Bring him in and take reps away from the Big 3 and have one of them play ST, cause Will is not

Yes let's do that we can rest our big 3 1/3 of plays chase can return kicks Boyd punts, Higgins can be on kickoff team.
Reply/Quote
Ok, I found a site that seems to explain the waiver process. I was wondering if first Jacksonville (number 1 in claiming) had to first go through the cuts of the other 31 teams, and then the list went to the next, etc.

Much simpler and more sensible. Each team lays its claims during the 24 hours. At the end of the 24 hours, if there are multiple claims on the same player, then the teams with the poorer record (higher draft order) get their claim. So, every team has the full 24 hours to evaluate who they might want to claim.

Going to be very tough for the Bengals, 31st in line, to find someone good that is passed on by the other 30 teams in front.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2022/8/30/23328786/nfl-waiver-wire-rules-2022-which-team-has-top-priority-claims-order
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 11:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: Ok, I found a site that seems to explain the waiver process. I was wondering if first Jacksonville (number 1 in claiming) had to first go through the cuts of the other 31 teams, and then the list went to the next, etc.

Much simpler and more sensible. Each team lays its claims during the 24 hours. At the end of the 24 hours, if there are multiple claims on the same player, then the teams with the poorer record (higher draft order) get their claim. So, every team has the full 24 hours to evaluate who they might want to claim.

Going to be very tough for the Bengals, 31st in line, to find someone good that is passed on by the other 30 teams in front.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2022/8/30/23328786/nfl-waiver-wire-rules-2022-which-team-has-top-priority-claims-order

It is, but they're a contender and an ideal spot for am older vet (4 years or more experience).  
Reply/Quote
I remember reading about Big Willie, back in the day, explaining to a reporter, if you are a bubble player who will get most of his snaps on special teams, it is more important for you to impress the special teams coach than your position coach, because Darrin Simmons will be making the decision on who to keep.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I really don't understand folks sometimes. Should we replace Thomas with Will Fuller? He has 4 years of over 500 receiving yards. He can't offer us anything else, but he's gained yards in his career. Bring him in and take reps away from the Big 3 and have one of them play ST, cause Will is not

Jonah Williams played 100% of the offensive snaps in the 16 games the Bengals used their starters last year. It was 1,045 offensive snaps.

Ja'Marr Chase played 934 offensive snaps. (I took away the 5 from Week 18, as we're looking at the 16 games.)
Tee Higgins played 710 offensive snaps.
Tyler Boyd played 807 offensive snaps.

Even with all three of them staying pretty healthy, that is still a LOT of snaps where they are not on the field. It's not about taking reps away from them, it's about improving the reps where they're already not on the field. 

Not counting the final Browns game where they played backups, Auden Tate, Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, and Stanley Morgan played 366 snaps on offense.

That's not an insignificant amount, and that amount will likely increase as Drew Sample sees less playing time due to an improved offensive line meaning he doesn't need to be in there as often as an extra blocker (he played 442 offensive snaps not counting the final game). 

It's about improving THOSE snaps, not taking away from the top 3. The difference between PS players and a quality #4 WR for 366+ snaps on offense can be huge. That's not even touching on the chance that one of the top 3 gets injured and then you're suddenly right now looking at having a PS caliber player as a full time starter, which would be devastating to the offense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most 4-6 wrs don't put up #  especially if starters don't get hurt, they make teams alot on there specials and other intangibles  ie Thomas

Yes and no.  Here are some examples of #4 WR's from some top teams last year...

Demarcus Robertson(KC)-25 catches on 41 targets, 264 yards, 3 TD's

Gabriel Davis(Bills)-35 catches on 63 targets, 549 yards, 6 TD's

Chester Rogers(Titans)30 catches on 43 targets, 301 yards, 1 TD

Mike Thomas had 5 catches on 11 targets for just 52 yards.  ST's are important, but WR4 isn't just a throwaway position, either.  You do use 4 WR's at times and you do need depth.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 09:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No, they have to sign them to their top 53 roster off waivers. If not, original team likely gets guys in their camp.

PS pay has changed. Duke mentioned it on Lap's podcast. Things are more structured with only a little wiggle room. Basically prevents another Dez Briscoe situation. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 05:50 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Ok for whatever reason I thought Trent was cut

I should pay closer attention

That's alright, that's why fans have a pre-season too, this is where you tweak the names and all. Wink
Reply/Quote
All offseason we were looking for the 4th WR that can put up numbers but on cutdown day we no longer care about 4th WR production we just want ST guys.
Reply/Quote