Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
(08-30-2022, 06:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: My interpretation this point is that Chris Evans would be a wide receiver/rb which would explain why they're going with for running backs

Even RBs that catch a ton of passes usually don't spend a lot of time working on running routes.  They mostly catch screens, swings, dump-offs, wheel routes, and stuff like that.

Route running is an underrated skill that WRs spend hours on.  With returning kicks and working at RB Evans is not going to have the time to develope actual WR skills.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I would've kept Lassiter or Pryor over Morgan,  but what do I know about building a roster.  Hopefully both of those guys, and Irwin, will take PS Squad positions.

I noticed we went with 10 on the dline, so I'm betting we do a ton of heavy rotation.  Also not thrilled that the official team roster lists us as only having 3 tackles, but 5 guards.

Khalid Kareem is going on IR tomorrow

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I don't understand it either.  Thomas has been on the Bengals roster the past 2 seasons and has a grand total of 5 tackles.  3 tackles last year and 2 the year before.    I find it hard to believe Thomas is so valuable on special teams that someone couldn't replace his 3 tackles.

Especially say a Defensive player like Tycen Anderson or something should offer more than a WR as a gunner.

They voted Kendrick Pryor the MVP of the Preseason and Training Camp and he works his ass off too and has talent to 
be a WR that catches the ball on Offense in a pinch. I am with you here, this is my only disappointment in the cuts.

I understand everything else but we have plenty of ST players and like you said a grand total of 5 tackles on ST's doesn't
seem to irreplaceable. Heck I think I saw Trey Flowers get 5 ST tackles in 1 game last year.
Reply/Quote
Poor ol Henderson.. I was kind of hoping he'd make it after the knee injury a few years back. It feels like he's been around for 8 years or something.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Also thought they would make the move to Chrisman now. While I don't want to see Huber go or have the all-time games played leader done wrong, it seems like they will need to do so sooner than later, and Chrisman can get the job done while there are also some punter needy teams out there. I don't think the kid will wait another year on the PS to get his shot.
Reply/Quote
This is why I don’t watch preseason games. There’s no way for us to tell anything. I wonder how much the coaches even get out of it. I guess they can see if you know where you are supposed to be during a full speed game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 06:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Meh, I don't understand. I guess he is a good gunner. Would still like a WR that can play Offense lol

(08-30-2022, 07:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I don't understand it either.  Thomas has been on the Bengals roster the past 2 seasons and has a grand total of 5 tackles.  3 tackles last year and 2 the year before.    I find it hard to believe Thomas is so valuable on special teams that someone couldn't replace his 3 tackles.

It is hard for us to get a good grasp on guys like Thomas because we don't really see them that much.

But this will be Mike's 7th season in the NFL and he has earned a roster spot on two different Super Bowl teams.  He obviously has some value that NFL coaches appreciate.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is hard for us to get a good grasp on guys like Thomas because we don't really see them that much.

But this will be Mike's 7th season in the NFL and he has earned a roster spot on two different Super Bowl teams.  He obviously has some value that NFL coaches appreciate.

The guy that quotes stats constantly disregards them.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This is why I don’t watch preseason games. There’s no way for us to tell anything. I wonder how much the coaches even get out of it. I guess they can see if you know where you are supposed to be during a full speed game.

They actually get a lot.

Their gameplan has very little to do with winning.  The will run plays just to evaluate specific players in specific situations.  I saw a show a few years back with coaches talking about preseason games.  One game a coach based his offense on getting an OG and a OT a lot of work on their double teams.  Apparently, it is hard on the "practice dummy" 4th string DTs to get double teamed every play in practice.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Also thought they would make the move to Chrisman now.  While I don't want to see Huber go or have the all-time games played leader done wrong, it seems like they will need to do so sooner than later, and Chrisman can get the job done while there are also some punter needy teams out there.  I don't think the kid will wait another year on the PS to get his shot.

There were aloooot of punters released this year. I wouldn't ve shocked to see him back on the PS or someone of equal caliber there. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 06:58 PM)pally Wrote: gotta have guys who can play special teams too. And Mike Thomas gets more ST reps than offensive reps

I hope the Bengals put in a claim to get Tyler Johnson (though I doubt he makes it to the Bengals). He had a solid season in 2021 as an offensive weapon and he plays alot of special teams. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:41 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The guy that quotes stats constantly disregards them.

You misunderstood me.  I agree that based on his stats it does not look like he should make the roster. He doesn't cost much ($1.1 million), but a player on a rookie contract would be half the price.

However, 2 different Super Bowl coaches have kept Thomas on their roster for multiple years.  So, he must have some value that we don't see/recognize.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You misunderstood me.  I agree that based on his stats it does not look like he should make the roster. He doesn't cost much ($1.1 million), but a player on a rookie contract would be half the price.

However, 2 different Super Bowl coaches have kept Thomas on their roster for multiple years.  So, he must have some value that we don't see/recognize.

It could just be 1 Super Bowl coach that is pounding the table for him. Mike Thomas' rookie year is the only year he hasn't played for a team Zac Taylor is coaching on. Could be Taylor just absolutely loves him some Mike Thomas. When Taylor left the Rams, Thomas didn't get re-signed there and was signed here for 1yr/$850k. So the Super Bowl WINNING coach didn't even see the value in him at one year of league minimum pay.

I'm pretty sure "must have some value that we don't see/recognize" is how people convinced others to get into NFTs/Crypto.   Hilarious

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

This is just me taking a guess, but maybe his job doesn’t entail tackling. Maybe it’s contain and funneling. But I guess you’d still think he’d make a few more tackles.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Well I hope one of these receivers gets to stick around and prove himself or they would have to draft a WR pretty high next near, because the Bengals aren’t going to have their top 3 a whole lot longer.

Reply/Quote
Folks just see Michael Thomas doesn't put up 1,000 yard seasons and say "we need to replace him". There's only 1 football and that goes to Ja'Marr, Tee, Tyler, Hayden, Mixon. The guy is a ST asset and most likely a solid locker room guy as Zac puts emphasis on that.

If one of the top 3 go down there will be vet WRs available that bring nothing to ST.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I was excited about the potential of Trayveon Williams when he was drafted, he's kinda fallen out of favor with me.
I was lowkey hoping Patrick would have taken RB4 spot.
I think he's more the hammer that we were hoping/expecting Perine to be.

I am surprised somewhat that the team went with Huber over Chrisman. I thought they were close enough that it made sense to go with the long-term youth than the guy who might retire after this season.

I would choose Patrick over Perine or Evans.Chrisman over Huber.Riggs over Sample.But,it is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 08:23 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I would choose Patrick over Perine or Evans.Chrisman over Huber.Riggs over Sample.But,it is what it is.

What did he do that made you think he should replace Evans? Evans had a great Preseason against 1st/2nd string. My goodness. 
Reply/Quote
So, how does the waiver process go for players who have been released and are not vested veterans? Are the Bengals next to last in making claims to add someone to the practice squad, because they were in the Super Bowl.

In other words, since a released player has to pass through waivers before being added to a practice squad, does every other team but the Rams get first crack at making that claim to add someone to their practice squad?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even RBs that catch a ton of passes usually don't spend a lot of time working on running routes.  They mostly catch screens, swings, dump-offs, wheel routes, and stuff like that.

Route running is an underrated skill that WRs spend hours on.  With returning kicks and working at RB Evans is not going to have the time to develope actual WR skills.

Yes, but with Hurst and WR 1-3 that would be enough.  I don't know enough about Evans in terms of route running.  But he sure looks good at just about everything asked of him including KR.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote