Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
(08-30-2022, 03:17 PM)Mer Wrote: Wasn't Romo Dallas' holder when he was the starter?

Back in the day it made sense to have the backup QB be the holder in case there was an errant snap (or designed fake FG) you had someone who could throw the ball accurately.

But like all things competitive sports, the analytics believe this isn't the most efficient use of the time of the backup QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:17 PM)Mer Wrote: Wasn't Romo Dallas' holder when he was the starter?

Bledsoe entered the season as the starter with Romo the back up. This is actually exactly why they don't use the back up QB anymore. They didn't want to screw up their kickers mechanics mid season so they stayed with him. Once he became the starter he very rarely got to practice holding with their kicker which was another part of his botched hold in the playoffs in 2006.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Bledsoe entered the season as the starter with Romo the back up. This is actually exactly why they don't use the back up QB anymore. They didn't want to screw up their kickers mechanics mid season so they stayed with him. Once he became the starter he very rarely got to practice holding with their kicker which was another part of his botched hold in the playoffs in 2006.

Thank you for the info. I feel old now. It's hard to believe that was 16 years ago. 
Reply/Quote
All of this Pryor talk is bringing me Bennie Brazzell vibes.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: All of this Pryor talk is bringing me Bennie Brazzell vibes.

Auden Tate. Dede Dorsey. There's a bunch of these guys.

There's another WR that's name escapes me.
Reply/Quote
Generally, the last WR and RB spots come down to special teams...not ability to be an everyday WR.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:20 PM)Mer Wrote: If you have a QB holding it opens up the possibility of more trick plays for sure and the opposing defense needs to account for that.

I will always remember that botched hold by Romo in the playoffs where Romo had to pick it up and try to make a play and lost to SEA.
7 minutes into this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PuOjVb3N4
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Auden Tate. Dede Dorsey. There's a bunch of these guys.

Desmond Briscoe??? the one that got a lot to go to tampas PS
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Generally, the last WR and RB spots come down to special teams...not ability to be an everyday WR.

Yeah, I mean, I would've liked to have kept Pryor, but ultimately, if Thomas and Morgan are better special teamers, then I can see why they're staying and he's not.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 03:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Auden Tate. Dede Dorsey. There's a bunch of these guys.

Don't look now, but the Commanders have now waived Alex Ericson.  Between him, Auden Tate and Mo Sanu, we could have an entire bench full of former Bengal backups.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 04:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look now, but the Commanders have now waived Alex Ericson.  Between him, Auden Tate and Mo Sanu, we could have an entire bench full of former Bengal backups.

Could it be that the Bengals depth guys were just not really ever that good?  Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 04:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look now, but the Commanders have now waived Alex Ericson.  

We know Simmons cherishes a good fair catch.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Anyone think the Bengals should look at Alex Leatherwood? Was just cut by the Raiders
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 05:01 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Anyone think the Bengals should look at Alex Leatherwood? Was just cut by the Raiders

If he can somehow make it through that far in waivers, sure.
Jonah Williams should be able to speak on how Leatherwood might fit the offensive scheme given he played with him at Alabama.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 05:01 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Anyone think the Bengals should look at Alex Leatherwood? Was just cut by the Raiders

He has been insanely bad since being drafted. There was some confusion whether he’s a guard or a tackle and the Raiders tried both —- he was atrocious at both.

For a team to give up on you after 1 year of taking you in the 1st round —- that speaks volumes.
Reply/Quote

I thought Dede Dorsey was it.  The Man.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
So Mike Thomas was cut? I also hated to see Spence get let go...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 05:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: So Mike Thomas was cut?  I also hated to see Spence get let go...

Irwin cut too, but both bad SB backups on right side of OL stay. 

EDIT, SORRY I typed Taylor the first time
Reply/Quote

Anyone else remember the one decent year we saw out of Kenny Watson when he filled in for Rudi Johnson in 2007?
But then he wasn't quite living up to par when he took over as the starter to start 2008, and the Bengals were lucky enough to snag up Cedric Benson partway through that year after he was let go by CHI.
Man, I loved Benson. RIP.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote