Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
I'm a little surprised about them keeping Huber but it's not shocking to say the least.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:06 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Pryor will not end up on our PS. He will be picked up, probably soon. Nice call Duke and Zacky.

In a world where Tyler Johnson was cut, nobody is touching Pryor.

He will 100% be back on our PS, if we value him. Don't freak out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't like Pryor getting cut, but Zac has been different from Marvin when it comes to preferring VET's over youth and inexperience. Maybe the Superbowl roster will change him and he will now prefer those who was on the roster that took us to the SB over unknowns, but prior to this he has been pretty open to giving those with inexperience a shot.

Disappointing but if we don't keep 7 receivers, another favorite of ours is likely getting a shot.

The "original" Trent has been around awhile and has shown up whenever his number is called. And he brings ST experience. Maybe he is the 7th receiver.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Bengals would be interested in Alec Lindstrom who was cut from Boys...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:41 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm a little surprised about them keeping Huber but it's not shocking to say the least.

I was a little surprised myself, until someone mentioned a detail that I had forgotten in the punter battle.  Huber is also the holder for FG and XPs.  Chrisman definitely has the stronger, youthful leg, but Huber has a lot of intangibles and experience on his side, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am a litle confused here.

If Darrin and Mike "hashed it out" then how do we know Mike made the decision?  

Everyone else has been telling me that Mike does not make roster decisions anymore.  I thought Zac made these roster decisions now.

Rarely does Mike. Probably because Kevin is a long time veteran. I’m sure he was aware Huber and Chrisman were in a battle and kept close tabs. Roster decisions, Free Agents, and draft choices are a group effort. Special team decisions with how long Darren has been around I believe Zac left it to Mike and Darren. But make no mistake the order of influence is 1. Mike/Brown family 2A Zac 2B Duke Tobin. Darren Simmons is likely on the coordinators level. Zac will make the final roster decisions with input from all position coaches and I’m sure Duke Tobin. Does that mean he rules like a Bill Belicheck or Bill Parcell’s? Doubtful
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 01:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Rarely does Mike. Probably because Kevin is a long time veteran. I’m sure he was aware Huber and Chrisman were in a battle and kept close tabs. Roster decisions, Free Agents, and draft choices are a group effort. Special team decisions with how long Darren has been around I believe Zac left it to Mike and Darren. But make no mistake the order of influence is 1. Mike/Brown family 2A Zac 2B Duke Tobin. Darren Simmons is likely on the coordinators level.

or we can actually accept that Drue matched Kevin but did not beat him.  The spot was his to win...he didn't take advantage of that.  Besides, if Kevin falters Drue will likely still be on the PS

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In a world where Tyler Johnson was cut, nobody is touching Pryor.

Yeah. WR is probably the most talent-filled position in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:37 AM)pally Wrote:

Come on Pryor, stick around man...

I thought we would cut Shelvin, Adomitis and Lassiter and try to get them on the PS. Same with Chrisman.

I don't really even care with Shelvin though.

He hasn't shown me anything since entering the league except he is out of shape and cannot even take up two blockers 
well with his size. You would think that would be easy being 355 pounds or somethin'. But he must not be strong enough.
Reply/Quote
The Pryor cut isn't official on the cbssports cuts tracker list
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In a world where Tyler Johnson was cut, nobody is touching Pryor.

Hope you are right Truck, could be. Just saw we cut Pryor which was the one thing I didn't want to see.

If he sticks on the PS it's all good.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was a little surprised myself, until someone mentioned a detail that I had forgotten in the punter battle.  Huber is also the holder for FG and XPs.  Chrisman definitely has the stronger, youthful leg, but Huber has a lot of intangibles and experience on his side, as well.

Don’t know this pure speculation but I’d bet chrisman barely won the punting but McPherson liked Huber and that evened it and it was a coin flip and Mike said Kevin and possibly Zac. I just don’t think Simmons was a big Huber guy. He sure made this deal bigger in the press JMO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
With our luck Pryor will get scooped up by the Ravens and be a thorn in our side for a decade.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 01:26 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: With our luck Pryor will get scooped up by the Ravens and be a thorn in our side for a decade.

They’d need a new QB for that to happen!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:06 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Pryor will not end up on our PS. He will be picked up, probably soon. Nice call Duke and Zacky.

I mean….if there was ever a position we could kinda let some young talent slide thru the cracks it’s absolutely WR. If everyone is healthy, the 6th WR wasn’t gonna see any snaps regardless.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Here is a point we may be missing about Huber.

Most fans (including me) were wrried about they way he seemed to decline at the end of the season. But punter is not the type of position where a players gets worn down over the course of the season. Age will eventually erode the skills, but it usually would not happen in such a short period as the course of one season. Basically the regular season is just like practice for a punter. Ther is no increased "work load" from playing games.

So whatever Huber's problem was at the end of last season (maybe a minor injury or personal issue?) it might be completely gone (fixed) by now.

Just a guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 01:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I mean….if there was ever a position we could kinda let some young talent slide thru the cracks it’s absolutely WR. If everyone is healthy, the 6th WR wasn’t gonna see any snaps regardless.

Yep.

We aren't even talking about WR6. We're talking about a potential WR7.

Morgan and Thomas are guaranteed to make the team for their ST contributions alone.
Taylor is going to make the team since no one unseated him for PR duties.
At least two of them, if not all three, will be active on gamedays for ST.

Would I personally replace Thomas with someone who offers more upside (or any upside) on offense?
Yes.
But I understand that the team wants him for ST.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
And here is a good way to look at the Pryor situation.

He was our top WR in preseason, but who was his competition? All he did was catch more passes than a lot of other "bottom-of-the-roster" WRs. Somebody had to be our #1 preseason WR. That does not mean he was a really good player.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep.

We aren't even talking about WR6. We're talking about a potential WR7.

Morgan and Thomas are guaranteed to make the team for their ST contributions alone.
Taylor is going to make the team since no one unseated him for PR duties.
At least two of them, if not all three, will be active on gamedays for ST.

Would I personally replace Thomas with someone who offers more upside (or any upside) on offense?
Yes.
But I understand that the team wants him for ST.

Sure hope Pryor sticks on the Practice Squad, cause yeah, all of this.

If one of our top 3 go down I am really concerned once again with one of these guys playing. They don't scare anyone
with their speed, crispness of their routes etc.

Morgan is a good blocker, okay he can help the running game and on screens. Taylor is a decent backup Slot and a good 
Punt Returner, okay. But Mike Thomas is only a gunner and that is ALL he provides. At least Irwin and Pryor can get open 
and catch balls cause they are smart in their routes and have good hands.

(08-30-2022, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And here is a good way to look at the Pryor situation.

He was our top WR in preseason, but who was his competition?  All he did was catch more passes than a lot of other "bottom-of-the-roster" WRs.  Somebody had to be our #1 preseason WR.  That does not mean he was a really good player.

I saw something special with Pryor myself. The way he carried himself, how hard he worked on the field and in practice the 
coaches said he practiced extremely hard. Runs really crisp routes and is disciplined in his depth with great hands and has 
4.38 speed and it shows, these other bottom of the roster WR's don't offer all of this. 

Hope he sticks on the PS is all I can say. Sure I would pick up Tyler Johnson over him but Pryor would definitely have my eye
after if I was another team in need of a speedy young WR.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 10:00 AM)PhilHos Wrote: To be honest, I don't. Huber really struggled down the stretch last year. Sure, he competed well this preseason, but I can't help but wonder if he'll struggle down the stretch this season. Plus, with McPherson on the team, directional punting won't be as great a need. 

I liked Huber, but I just don't know if he's a full season left in him.

If he makes it through all season playing well, fantastic, but I just don't know if it'll happen.

Let's be honest here Phil. You don't like it because Hubes rhymes with Pubes and that makes you sad. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote