Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Dominated the Draft
(05-01-2021, 08:21 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]
Ok someone had started drinking the kool aide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you didn't want the trenches fixed. Got it. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The only pick we "reached" on, as far as I can tell, is Carman. If he does end up starting at RG and performs relatively well I'd say this entire draft is great. We really stayed in the trenches and got great value throughout day 3. Smith was a guy I've seen taken in the late 3rd, early 4th throughout the mock draft process so getting him at the end of the 4th is good value at a position of need. He can develop behind Reiff and maybe a starter in 2022 or 2023.

Getting our kicker is also a really big deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you didn't want the trenches fixed. Got it. Mellow

Saying they dominated is a bit to much. The draft was average

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I love this draft. Interesting we went 1 LSU and 2 Clemson two years in a row. Not a bad idea to load up on players from two of the best teams in college

I think you have to count Shelvin twice.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Being someone that believes in building thru the trenches I really like this draft. Coach Taylor really hit the nail on the head when he addressed in the post draft news conference. When they had players go down they were not equipped to with a deep enough bench to help overcome it. They made serious moves to correct that situation.

I think they did a fantastic job. Not sexy by any means but a draft that could help for several seasons to come.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Saying they dominated is a bit to much.  The draft was average

It was well above average just not sexy. Teams are built through the offensive and defensive lines.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Saying they dominated is a bit to much.  The draft was average

We will see...
Reply/Quote
The best way I can describe the 2021 draft for the Bengals is function, not flash. This is a good thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The only pick we "reached" on, as far as I can tell, is Carman. If he does end up starting at RG and performs relatively well I'd say this entire draft is great. We really stayed in the trenches and got great value throughout day 3. Smith was a guy I've seen taken in the late 3rd, early 4th throughout the mock draft process so getting him at the end of the 4th is good value at a position of need. He can develop behind Reiff and maybe a starter in 2022 or 2023.

Getting our kicker is also a really big deal.

Dude was ranked #48, we got him at #46... Hardly a reach. That said, agree mostly, solid meat and potatoes draft. Team had three major weaknesses; protect JB, get to the opposing QB, and for the love of God stop the run.

I thought they did a solid job of addressing most of the holes. The kicker could be special.
Reply/Quote
Alright, I know that I've been pissing and moaning about two of the OL picks, but the rest of the draft actually looks damn good!

Now, I'm just hoping that the team comes to their senses, and signs Trey Turner before training camp.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I love this draft. Interesting we went 1 LSU and 2 Clemson two years in a row. Not a bad idea to load up on players from two of the best teams in college

Agree. The current staff seems to target heavily beyond just physical skill-set, and seem to be attempting to bring leadership qualities and a winning mentality by the selections of former team captains last year along w players from successful teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 09:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright, I know that I've been pissing and moaning about two of the OL picks, but the rest of the draft actually looks damn good!

Now, I'm just hoping that the team comes to their senses, and signs Trey Turner before training camp.

Glad you are lightening up Sunset, damn broth. Mellow

You mean Trai Turner of course, yeah, would like him brought in. He obviously wants to play for us.
Reply/Quote
Dominated is a strong word but I think we did well in this draft. I would give it a A-

Best Pick- Jamar Chase WR LSU- Dude reminds me of Jerry Rice. I know I shouldn't say that but he does. That alone makes this a good draft!

Best Value Pick- Cameron Sample DE/3T- I like his versatility and that he can rush from the inside on third downs. I see him as our Michael Bennett!

What scares me- I'm worried about the IOL still. I'm not crazy in love with the Carmen Pick, Smith seems like more of a project than player at this point, and Hill is meh(to be fair that's what is expected with a 6th RD pick). Really wish we would have signed Zietler in free agency.

? Move- I like that we drafted Oassi at Edge but I thought we needed more of a Dunlap type edge than a Lawson type edge. It's a nitpick of mine but I think next off-season a true all around Defensive End will be a major need to go along with what we already have .

What wasn't addressed-#1 CB I don't think Trae is a #1 CB in the NFL and I am 75% sure he gets cut next season. CB1 is a major need in the near future.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The trade with the Patriots was a brilliant move. I didn't watch a lot of Clemson, and definitely not line play, but a Clemson friend has said we may have picked the best guard in the draft if the back is fine when it's all said and done. Herniated discs can go one way or the other.

I liked everything we did. I worry a bit about the secondary, but other than that, I'm good.
Reply/Quote
I think this may end up being a better draft than we think. I remember detesting the Levi Jones pick years ago and he turned out. Alexander's draft record was darn good before 2015. When you have a consensus of him, Pollack and Willie Anderson that this guy is a stud - and not just at the guard spot, that gives me a lot of confidence. I love that we have a 350 lb. rock in the middle with Reader on running downs and short yardage situations. I think I would have preferred Trey Smith to the other Trey. But I figure they know what they're doing more than me.

And the #5 pick was plenty sexy. Pretty sure Smokin' Joe thinks so...

And we may just have a ringer at the kicker position. Not bad for a weekend's work!
Reply/Quote
The more I watch Carman, the more I like it. Dude just knocks people out. With his move to guard that’s going to be a good attribute.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:45 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Not sure I can ever remember a 2nd round pick being more important. I like what I see on tape from Jackson but boy does he need to live up to his potential.

That’s all my bro been saying too. They killed the draft but their worst pick as of now was their most important.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Saying they dominated is a bit to much. The draft was average

Draft was only average if u don’t know what u talking about. Sorry but that’s a fact. Yes carman imo as of now was not a good pick and it was their most important but they other guys they brought in are all ballers. They killed this draft and I’d give it an A+ if they went creed Humphrey instead of carman
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:11 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The more I watch Carman, the more I like it. Dude just knocks people out. With his move to guard that’s going to be a good attribute.

Same, and he isn't a penalty machine either like we have see from our Guards for years.

Both our Joe's should be feeling really good about this season right now and QB's we play will not be near as comfy.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:17 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Draft was only average if u don’t know what u talking about.  Sorry but that’s a fact.  Yes carman imo as of now was not a good pick and it was their most important but they other guys they brought in are all ballers.  They killed this draft and I’d give it an A+ if they went creed Humphrey instead of carman

You know I wanted Creed but Trey Hill sure makes it all better for me...
Reply/Quote