Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Dominated the Draft
(05-01-2021, 08:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It was well above average just not sexy. Teams are built through the offensive and defensive lines.

Couldn't sell that line around here pre-draft lol

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wanted Sewell but can certainly live with this draft and think the Bengals did well this year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Dude was ranked #48, we got him at #46... Hardly a reach. That said, agree mostly, solid meat and potatoes draft. Team had three major weaknesses; protect JB, get to the opposing QB, and for the love of God stop the run.

I thought they did a solid job of addressing most of the holes. The kicker could be special.

I mean, his ranking was a little all over the place, which I think is more a testament to his status as a project that could be great than anything else. Evaluators all have their own scales and some value potential whereas others value "day 1 starting" ability. Carman, to me, is a Ceiling vs Floor discussion.

NFL.com has him ranked 86th overall, PFF had him ranked 48th, Dane Brugler had him at 67th to start but dropped him to 92nd after his back surgery, Daniel Jeremiah had him at 96th, ESPN had him at 78th, Mel Kiper had him 102nd.

Eichenberg, the player most people would have preferred we go with at 38, if we assume Jenkins was off our board due to injuries, would have been a high floor, low ceiling pick. He'd probably plug into RG and be...fine. He wouldn't be a road grader and he wouldn't wow you with his awareness or his ability to stop a pass rusher dead in his tracks, but he'll give you 70 decent snaps a game and not get beat so pitifully that his guy is on the QB as soon as the ball is snapped.

Carman is a higher risk, as he is inconsistent (as PFF put it, "The big reason why he is a clear notch below other tackles in this class is his inconsistency. For example, Carman was dominant in Clemson’s first outing against Notre Dame’s stout defensive front in 2020 with an 88.0 PFF grade, but he was pushed around in Round 2 in the ACC title game with a 62.4 PFF grade. This has been the story of his collegiate career.") and has some concerns about his weight and maturity, but he is also a man that can move well at 6'5" 330 lbs and that's objectively hard to find. He could be a road grading RG who stone walls pass rushers. Or he could be an out of shape, inconsistent mess at RG that will wow you one game and give up 3 sacks and 6 pressures the next.

I would have felt better if he were a 3rd round pick that we took after we took our "safe" starting RG in round 2 (or round 1), but I can deal with him as a prospect and just hope for the best. It isn't my ideal, but it isn't terrible either. I think Sewell + Marshall is better than Chase + Carman, but that's how drafts go. You can't predict who will fall so you can't look back at the rounds and pick the best player at each pick. They happen as they go and I think the Bengals weren't certain Marshall would be there, so they went with Chase instead. We'll see how it goes.

But the rest of the draft was great.
Reply/Quote
We didn't do bad overall, we got some nice picks in multiple spots.

But our biggest need was OL. What won't we see in 2021? Much playing time from the OL guys we just drafted. There's some exciting prospects, but none of the OL drafted is better than what we've got. In a couple seasons, I think the guys we drafted have a chance of being pretty good, but we are rolling with the line we had a week ago.

On top of that, there's still the Jonah issue (the issue of him not being able to protect Burrow from his couch).

For down the road? Probably a very, very good draft. For people looking to see great strides in 2021? Meh.

But I think it locks Zac in to at least 1.5 more years. If the #1 need is an OL and you take a handful of OL projects/hometown ticket sales, you can't really fault the staff when it doesn't work out.
Reply/Quote
For a draft that supposedly had a ton of depth at O-line, people seem pretty okay with the Bengals drafting an experimental IOL.
Reply/Quote
Love the optimism and positive attitudes!
I was born in 69. Been a Bengals fan my whole life. Was diagnosed with MS in 2015 so being a Bengals fan helped me adapt to the pain. Lol. I’ve lived through Montana getting us twice. The 90s Bengals and the 2015 playoff loss.

I Love getting my season tickets every year. I never give up hope. This draft was a great one. So was last years. Everything in me says good things are in the way. Life’s too short to whine and be miserable. We’re Bengals fans. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride! Who Dey
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:23 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: And Lou better do his damn job and get these players off on 3rd down.

That sounds dirty.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was a solid draft. Chase should become our next great WR. I loved the Ossai pick and could see him becoming a good pass rusher for us. I was excited about the McPherson pick and I think he'll be our kicker for some time. I could see Sample being a rotational piece for Hubbard. Play outside on 1st and 2nd and then kick inside on 3rd downs. Shelvin can give Reader a breather when he needs it. D'Ante Smith will probably be a depth piece for the left side of the line. I think Trey Hill will just be a depth piece. Evans will compete for the 3rd RB spot, it's as simple as that. Hubert will probably a game day inactive if he makes the 53. 

As for Carman, I'm just meh on the pick. Don't hate it, don't love it. I know some are hyping him up as some badass player. I would like it if he became an amazing guard, but we know the Bengals don't value guards. So he'll play out his 4 year deal and then walk. That would piss me off. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I thought we had a very solid draft. I was probably most disappointed with the Carman pick, but as I said in another thread he was in the mix for who was all available at the spot we ended up picking. Everyone else seemed like great value picks.
Reply/Quote
Lion's dominated the draft.

Which is funny since their owner is as "revered" (hated) as ours.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean, his ranking was a little all over the place, which I think is more a testament to his status as a project that could be great than anything else. Evaluators all have their own scales and some value potential whereas others value "day 1 starting" ability. Carman, to me, is a Ceiling vs Floor discussion.

NFL.com has him ranked 86th overall, PFF had him ranked 48th, Dane Brugler had him at 67th to start but dropped him to 92nd after his back surgery, Daniel Jeremiah had him at 96th, ESPN had him at 78th, Mel Kiper had him 102nd.

Eichenberg, the player most people would have preferred we go with at 38, if we assume Jenkins was off our board due to injuries, would have been a high floor, low ceiling pick. He'd probably plug into RG and be...fine. He wouldn't be a road grader and he wouldn't wow you with his awareness or his ability to stop a pass rusher dead in his tracks, but he'll give you 70 decent snaps a game and not get beat so pitifully that his guy is on the QB as soon as the ball is snapped.

Carman is a higher risk, as he is inconsistent (as PFF put it, "The big reason why he is a clear notch below other tackles in this class is his inconsistency. For example, Carman was dominant in Clemson’s first outing against Notre Dame’s stout defensive front in 2020 with an 88.0 PFF grade, but he was pushed around in Round 2 in the ACC title game with a 62.4 PFF grade. This has been the story of his collegiate career.") and has some concerns about his weight and maturity, but he is also a man that can move well at 6'5" 330 lbs and that's objectively hard to find. He could be a road grading RG who stone walls pass rushers. Or he could be an out of shape, inconsistent mess at RG that will wow you one game and give up 3 sacks and 6 pressures the next.

I would have felt better if he were a 3rd round pick that we took after we took our "safe" starting RG in round 2 (or round 1), but I can deal with him as a prospect and just hope for the best. It isn't my ideal, but it isn't terrible either. I think Sewell + Marshall is better than Chase + Carman, but that's how drafts go. You can't predict who will fall so you can't look back at the rounds and pick the best player at each pick. They happen as they go and I think the Bengals weren't certain Marshall would be there, so they went with Chase instead. We'll see how it goes.

But the rest of the draft was great.

Do you think that had anything to do with he was playing with a herniated disk in his back at the end of the season?
Reply/Quote
Not really a big fan of this draft, but I'm a "wait and see" type of guy. So, we'll just have to wait. And See.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 07:10 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Lion's dominated the draft.

Which is funny since their owner is as "revered" (hated) as ours.

More crying? Aren't you a grown man?

BTW, Detroit Free Press gave the lion's pick of Sewell an F on draft night. They needed skill position guys badly and they said the player was great, but the positional need made it a horrible pick.

You should go be a Lions fan instead of piss and moaning around here.
Reply/Quote
Of course it is impossible to judge a draft before anyone plays but here are my comments.

-Doesn't matter who you wanted at #5 you have to admit that we got an elite talent with Chase

-I like the fact that we traded down for extra 4th round picks.

-Fifth round picks are all "projects" except kickers and punters.  So hopefully we got an elite level player there.  However it seems to me that place kickers are hard to project college success to NFL.  That seems strange because it seems like they would be the easiest.  Their success does not depend on players around them or coaching.

-Best part was that we really loaded up on linemen.  I am the type that believes winning in the  trenches is crucial for both defense and offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Pick 5 (5)
Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU 6-1 200 LBS

Round 2
Pick 14 (46)
Jackson Carman G Clemson 6-5 330 LBS

Round 3
Pick 5 (69)
Joseph Ossai DE Texas 6-4 253 LBS

Round 4
Pick 6 (111)
Cam Sample EDGE Tulane 6-3 274 LBS

Pick 17 (122)
Tyler Shelvin DT LSU 6-3 346 LBS

Pick 34 (139)
D'Ante Smith OT East Carolina 6-5 294 LBS

Round 5
Pick 5 (149)
Evan McPherson K Florida 5-10 195 LBS

Round 6
Pick 6 (190)
Trey Hill C Georgia 6-3 320 LBS

Pick 18 (202)
Chris Evans RB Michigan 5-11 219 LBS

Round 7
Pick 7 (235)
Wyatt Hubert DE Kansas State 6-3 265 LBS

10 great picks. 3 OL, 3 pass rushers, monster DT, sleeper RB, best WR and best K. Wow. Pumping talent into our needs. We crushed it. I'm on board.

Great first pick.
Second pick is solid but the Bengals traded down to get him and gave teams a shot at OTs as a result and a run of 3 resulted. Big gamble for a position of dire need.

I love the kicker pick, very Bengals.
C was addressed at the 6th round, I wish it was addressed sooner but the draft didn’t unfold to do it.

7 of 10 picks work in the trench, I liked that over emphasis.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Pick 5 (5)
Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU 6-1 200 LBS

Round 2
Pick 14 (46)
Jackson Carman G Clemson 6-5 330 LBS

Round 3
Pick 5 (69)
Joseph Ossai DE Texas 6-4 253 LBS

Round 4
Pick 6 (111)
Cam Sample EDGE Tulane 6-3 274 LBS

Pick 17 (122)
Tyler Shelvin DT LSU 6-3 346 LBS

Pick 34 (139)
D'Ante Smith OT East Carolina 6-5 294 LBS

Round 5
Pick 5 (149)
Evan McPherson K Florida 5-10 195 LBS

Round 6
Pick 6 (190)
Trey Hill C Georgia 6-3 320 LBS

Pick 18 (202)
Chris Evans RB Michigan 5-11 219 LBS

Round 7
Pick 7 (235)
Wyatt Hubert DE Kansas State 6-3 265 LBS

10 great picks. 3 OL, 3 pass rushers, monster DT, sleeper RB, best WR and best K. Wow. Pumping talent into our needs. We crushed it. I'm on board.

My only complaint was taking Ossai in Rd 3 when Spencer Brown was still on the board.  I know a lot of people like Ossai and it isn't that I don't respect him as a player, but OT was a much bigger need and I think Brown in the 3rd would have been a huge win.  

Other than that, I think they did a really solid job of adding the right mix of talent and didn't panic and package picks to move back up but selected 10 individuals to help create depth and competition at almost every position group.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:35 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote:  but we know the Bengals don't value guards. So he'll play out his 4 year deal and then walk. That would piss me off. 

Bengals paid to keep Bobbie Williams here on a send contract.  Bengals paid Boling very well to keep him here on a second contract.

Both Zeitelr and Steinbach received free agent contracts that placed them at or very close to being the very highest paid at the position in the league.  Many people claimed they were overpaid.  Neither one of them played out those large contracts for the teams that signed them.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:00 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Do you think that had anything to do with he was playing with a herniated disk in his back at the end of the season?

Possibly. I'm not sure when that injury occurred, exactly. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:35 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I thought it was a solid draft. Chase should become our next great WR. I loved the Ossai pick and could see him becoming a good pass rusher for us. I was excited about the McPherson pick and I think he'll be our kicker for some time. I could see Sample being a rotational piece for Hubbard. Play outside on 1st and 2nd and then kick inside on 3rd downs. Shelvin can give Reader a breather when he needs it. D'Ante Smith will probably be a depth piece for the left side of the line. I think Trey Hill will just be a depth piece. Evans will compete for the 3rd RB spot, it's as simple as that. Hubert will probably a game day inactive if he makes the 53. 

As for Carman, I'm just meh on the pick. Don't hate it, don't love it. I know some are hyping him up as some badass player. I would like it if he became an amazing guard, but we know the Bengals don't value guards. So he'll play out his 4 year deal and then walk. That would piss me off. 

Same thing happened to Clint Boling. Bengals drafted him and just let him walk without a 2nd contract. Rolleyes

The Bengals do not overpay guards, but they do pay them appropriately. You want to point to Steinbach & Zeitler? Lol... Their contracts were so idiotic... from a horrific mess of an organization... that both players were dumped by the Browns before their contract was up. That's bad business and bad cap allocation.... and both of them were on horrific teams while they were in Cleveland.

Want a shitty team? DUMP a crazy amount of your salary cap into Guards. The Cheifs? They structured Thuney's deal so that the major bulk of the money comes AFTER the huge cap increase post 2021.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I love this draft. Interesting we went 1 LSU and 2 Clemson two years in a row. Not a bad idea to load up on players from two of the best teams in college

The really good teams Marvin assembled went heavy on drafting from Georgia for a short while.  They had connections with the coaching staff and felt the team was really strong (they were).  It sort of worked for a while with really good players coming from there.  
Reply/Quote