Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Dominated the Draft
(05-01-2021, 11:16 PM)Benton Wrote:  There's some exciting prospects, but none of the OL drafted is better than what we've got.

It is just impossible to say that at this time.

Clint Boling was a 4th round pick.  So how can you say a guy taken in the top 50 is not any better than the scrubs we have at OG right now?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:16 PM)Benton Wrote: We didn't do bad overall, we got some nice picks in multiple spots.

But our biggest need was OL. What won't we see in 2021? Much playing time from the OL guys we just drafted. There's some exciting prospects, but none of the OL drafted is better than what we've got. In a couple seasons, I think the guys we drafted have a chance of being pretty good, but we are rolling with the line we had a week ago.

On top of that, there's still the Jonah issue (the issue of him not being able to protect Burrow from his couch).

For down the road? Probably a very, very good draft. For people looking to see great strides in 2021? Meh.

But I think it locks Zac in to at least 1.5 more years. If the #1 need is an OL and you take a handful of OL projects/hometown ticket sales, you can't really fault the staff when it doesn't work out.
God help us if this is how it works. If this team has a losing record this year Taylor and his staff should be gone. The guy hasn't proven he can win at anything.  Then look at the defense, if the defense somehow isn't rated in the mid to upper teens at bare minimum somethings wrong. You spend $200 M in free agency and then still focus on the DL in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Saying they dominated is a bit to much.  The draft was average

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Average would imply they had seven picks with average ability. 

Best WR
Best Kicker
Top 3 rated prospect as a Guard
Top 3 rated EDGE
Top 3 rated DT

Solid depth pieces with versatility to play C/G, RB, and DE.

I would rate that above average:  B+

FWIW, I know that it always drives some people crazy grading a draft before any of the players take a snap, but for the fit with this team I really like the talent they have assembled and the shrewd move to turn one 2nd round pick in to three players.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Being someone that believes in building thru the trenches I really like this draft. Coach Taylor really hit the nail on the head when he addressed in the post draft news conference. When they had players go down they were not equipped to with a deep enough bench to help overcome it. They made serious moves to correct that situation.

I think they did a fantastic job. Not sexy by any means but a draft that could help for several seasons to come.

There it is.

Aside from Chase, there was nothing "sexy" about this draft.  No CB that ran a 4.3 (but sucked in coverage instincts).  No WR that has the biggest hands in the entire draft (but used them to hold joints).  No QB that can throw the ball in to a trash can from his knees at 65 yards (but can't read a defense to save his life).

This draft had trench warfare written all over it.  Rather than rely on the likes of Tupou and Wren, they will now be fighting it out for a spot.  Ditto the pass rush, the offensive line, and the 4th RB spot.  Sorry, Fat Randy, you were never going to make the team anyway so McPherson will just have to destroy Seibert.

Competition always improves the breed and the Bengals just added a lot of competition at key position groups.  
Reply/Quote
From my perspective with what the Bengals said after the offseason this was not a good draft. The drum beat from Bengals we are going to address in the offseason the Offensive Line and to me they still gave it lip service. They had plenty of opportunities to really reshape our line and they did not raise the bar. So it is less about the players (we can always disagree on player, where they are picked etc ) I took but how they went about not addressing what almost all Bengals fans have said they have to really be active in day 1/2 of FA and attack the draft for Oline in especially 1/2/3 and possible round 4 . My points below

1. We signed more new Dline in FA than Oline and our one FA Reiff was signed on day 3 for a one year contract: Not Enough
2. We sign one Oline over our first 5 picks Not Enough
3. I agree the trade with two 4th round picks gave them more capital but did they attack it on Oline.. nope...They waited till the last pick in 4th 139, pretty much almost round 5 to take their 2nd Oline. Did not use extra picks to address Oline well.

To me this sums it up when you look at what we have done in acquiring new players for our Oline we have acquired more Dline (6) vs Oline (4) with the majority of our Dline picked higher than our Oline so NOPE they did not complete the mission of restructure and prioritize the Oline.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:35 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: As for Carman, I'm just meh on the pick. Don't hate it, don't love it. I know some are hyping him up as some badass player. I would like it if he became an amazing guard, but we know the Bengals don't value guards. So he'll play out his 4 year deal and then walk. That would piss me off. 

Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson and don’t make these mistakes again. 

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course it is impossible to judge a draft before anyone plays but here are my comments.

-Doesn't matter who you wanted at #5 you have to admit that we got an elite talent with Chase

-I like the fact that we traded down for extra 4th round picks.

-Fifth round picks are all "projects" except kickers and punters.  So hopefully we got an elite level player there.  However it seems to me that place kickers are hard to project college success to NFL.  That seems strange because it seems like they would be the easiest.  Their success does not depend on players around them or coaching.

-Best part was that we really loaded up on linemen.  I am the type that believes winning in the  trenches is crucial for both defense and offense.

Another post I agree with.

Bengals fans before the draft: O Line & D line needs major overhaul

Bengals fans after a draft where 6/10 picks were O line/D line: Meh

I think this draft will bear fruit a lot earlier than people think.

Aside from Chase, the kid from Clemson, all 3 DEs, and the C
have potential to have major impact from day 1. That Center is a bad ass, BTW. He was a projected 1st/2nd rounder after 2019 and fell because he played most of the year with a torn meniscus in both knees... and got them fixed after the season.

The guys who are comolaining about the 2 guys being injured.... Weird that they also wanted Jenkins who, by all accounts, has a lot if different issues.

On to the injuries. I'm sorry, but repairing a torn menisus and "knee surgery" are two totally different ball games to me. High school and college soccer players come back from that 100% within 4 weeks and the surgery has zero to do with structural integrity to the knee. It is a pain relief procedure due to fraying of cartelage. It's basically nothing. Hell, you can... and the kid DID... play through it. It just hurts and feels weird.

Carman had a disc issue that is so minor... especially for a lineman, since it's common for the position.... that he is already past recovery phase and is doing O line drills. There is video of him 2 days before the draft still working out and doing line drills. How can Bengals fans not like these picks????
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:16 PM)Benton Wrote: We didn't do bad overall, we got some nice picks in multiple spots.

But our biggest need was OL. What won't we see in 2021? Much playing time from the OL guys we just drafted. There's some exciting prospects, but none of the OL drafted is better than what we've got. In a couple seasons, I think the guys we drafted have a chance of being pretty good, but we are rolling with the line we had a week ago.

On top of that, there's still the Jonah issue (the issue of him not being able to protect Burrow from his couch).

For down the road? Probably a very, very good draft. For people looking to see great strides in 2021? Meh.

But I think it locks Zac in to at least 1.5 more years. If the #1 need is an OL and you take a handful of OL projects/hometown ticket sales, you can't really fault the staff when it doesn't work out.

I will tell you a little about Carman and see if I can sell you on Carman a little bit:

He doesn't turn 22 until January, yet he was a starter protecting the blind side of Lawrence (LT) for the last two seasons.  With over 1000 pass blocking assignments, he gave up a total of 6 sacks.  4 of them came this past year, when he was clearly trying to fight through an injury. He played the last 5 games with a herniated disc.  The guy could have shut it down, had surgery, and prepared for the NFL draft, but he wanted to gut it out and try and win a National Championship.

He virtually never goes backwards.  He struggled (rarely) with outside speed rushers, but when he got his hands on you it was pretty much over.  He has incredible anchor, but still has the agility and mobility to play LT for one of the top programs in the country for two years.  A perfect match for Pollack's system at RG.  

He has experience and flexibility to play tackle in a pinch.  I hope he is the RG for the next decade, but last year every starting offensive lineman missed some time with an injury.  That depth is critical.  

I am thrilled to have him as our RG.  My only issue was that we didn't get the OT developmental player I wanted a round later.  (Spencer Brown)
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:45 AM)PDub80 Wrote: More crying? Aren't you a grown man?

BTW, Detroit Free Press gave the lion's pick of Sewell an F on draft night. They needed skill position guys badly and they said the player was great, but the positional need made it a horrible pick.

You should go be a Lions fan instead of piss and moaning around here.

Jared Goff better not even get breathed on this season. Not saying Sewell was a bad pick (and an F is ridiculous), but that WR group is atrocious. The fact that they didn’t take one until the 4th round is insane.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: To me this sums it up when you look at what we have done in acquiring new players for our Oline we have acquired more Dline (6) vs Oline (4) with the majority of our Dline picked higher than our Oline so NOPE they did not complete the mission of restructure and prioritize the Oline.

Bengals offense ranked 26th in sacks allowed while the defense ranked DEAD LAST in sacks.  Our defense was horrible.  Yet we still drafted and O-lineman before we took a pass rusher.

This idea that the Bengals should have spent every dollar in free agency and every draft pick on O-line while ignoring one of the worst defenses in the league is just silly.
Reply/Quote
My Thoughts..
We didn't really need Sewell....
Joe Burrow is so talented he just needs a serviceable offensive line.. Last year that wasnt the case.. Below average talent and ofcourse injuries were completely to blame..
This draft was perfect based on potential talent and depth because injuries on the Oline will always be a factor..
And we snagged the best receiver on the board and possibly a kicker we can all finally trust
Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Possibly. I'm not sure when that injury occurred, exactly. 

He was injured the final 5 games of the season.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals offense ranked 26th in sacks allowed while the defense ranked DEAD LAST in sacks.  Our defense was horrible.  Yet we still drafted and O-lineman before we took a pass rusher.

This idea that the Bengals should have spent every dollar in free agency and every draft pick on O-line while ignoring one of the worst defenses in the league is just silly.

Injuries and the drama created by Carlos factored in on how the defense operated last season..
There is talent ed players on the defense... They need to Gel and trust/learn each other.. Should be a huge improvement this year
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:36 AM)Spider Wrote: Injuries and the drama created by Carlos factored in on how the defense operated last season..
There is talent ed players on the defense... They need to Gel and trust/learn each other.. Should be a huge improvement this year

We say that we should have a great pass rush each year, and it never happens.  That goes way back before ZT arrived.  I hope the emphasis on pass rushers and quality depth on the line has a big impact.  

Anarumo now has players that fit the scheme he wants to run better than ever, so it is truly a "no excuses"-type season.  I wish they had gone all in before last year and gotten something (more than what they did) for the likes of Dunlap, Geno, AJ, and WJIII....a true overhaul instead of the half-assed version.  BUT, that being said, it put the Bengals in place to get Chase at #5, and  THIS year they really turned over the roster.

There are very few of the "old guard" still around and most is guys like Huber.  I think that the revamped offensive line (that actually was decent down the line when XSF and Spain were playing guard), a more aggressive defense, and Burrow with one of the best young WR corps in the league will be a very exciting season.  Not going to be easy, as the Browns nailed their draft and are loaded, and Baltimore always seems to stay competitive, but it will be exciting for sure.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We say that we should have a great pass rush each year, and it never happens.  That goes way back before ZT arrived.  I hope the emphasis on pass rushers and quality depth on the line has a big impact.  

Anarumo now has players that fit the scheme he wants to run better than ever, so it is truly a "no excuses"-type season.  I wish they had gone all in before last year and gotten something (more than what they did) for the likes of Dunlap, Geno, AJ, and WJIII....a true overhaul instead of the half-assed version.  BUT, that being said, it put the Bengals in place to get Chase at #5, and  THIS year they really turned over the roster.

There are very few of the "old guard" still around and most is guys like Huber.  I think that the revamped offensive line (that actually was decent down the line when XSF and Spain were playing guard), a more aggressive defense, and Burrow with one of the best young WR corps in the league will be a very exciting season.  Not going to be easy, as the Browns nailed their draft and are loaded, and Baltimore always seems to stay competitive, but it will be exciting for sure.  

I agree this season needs to show promise and improvement for potentially contending for a championship in the next 3 years..
If not the case then Zac must go..
We have the best QB in the AFC North.. (arguably) The window can close soon so lets hope this team can take advantage of their potential sooner rather than later or never
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals offense ranked 26th in sacks allowed while the defense ranked DEAD LAST in sacks.  Our defense was horrible.  Yet we still drafted and O-lineman before we took a pass rusher.

The offensive line is more important because youre protecting the most important player on your team. 

I get your point, but there just needs to be more of a priority on the offensive line, especially with what happened to Burrow last year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We say that we should have a great pass rush each year, and it never happens.  That goes way back before ZT arrived.  I hope the emphasis on pass rushers and quality depth on the line has a big impact.  

I'm just not 100% sold on the Browns and Baker. The Bengals should have beat them at home last year and were competitive early in the season at Cleveland. 

The Browns have a ton of talent but Baker just isn't completely doing it for me yet. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

In my post i did reference at all they needed very pick.. I laid out valid point of priorities in my post but if  we flip the 6 to 4 with adding 2 Oline to at least 1 extended and flip Oline pick to two in 4th round and I would be more comfortable with at least feeling they put it in priority 1. 
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest, NOBODY knows how good these players are going to be for another 2-3 years. Right now, I think this draft is a B- based purely on my expectations from these picks as well as whom was available at the time that I thought was better than the pick the Bengals made. For instance, I think Kendrick Green is going to be an immediate starter. Unfortunately, it's going to be for the Steelers. The Trey Hill pick was solid though. This is just one of the comparisons I will be looking at in the next couple of years, just like we all did with Ragnow vs Price. In any event, we won't know for a few years so anything said about how good or bad this draft haul is is purely a guess.

I will say that I feel a lot more comfortable with the Defensive Ends we have right now (including Ossai in this group). Ossai, Sample and Wyatt Hubert will help out almost immediately and I think Hubert may be a huge steal.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:52 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Let's be honest, NOBODY knows how good these players are going to be for another 2-3 years. Right now, I think this draft is a B- based purely on my expectations from these picks as well as whom was available at the time that I thought was better than the pick the Bengals made. For instance, I think Kendrick Green is going to be an immediate starter. Unfortunately, it's going to be for the Steelers. The Trey Hill pick was solid though. This is just one of the comparisons I will be looking at in the next couple of years, just like we all did with Ragnow vs Price. In any event, we won't know for a few years so anything said about how good or bad this draft haul is is purely a guess.

I will say that I feel a lot more comfortable with the Defensive Ends we have right now (including Ossai in this group). Ossai, Sample and Wyatt Hubert will help out almost immediately and I think Hubert may be a huge steal.

This guy is gonna be a beast for this team.. Insane motor and he seems very Driven to be great!!
Reply/Quote