Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Dominated the Draft
(05-02-2021, 11:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm just not 100% sold on the Browns and Baker. The Bengals should have beat them at home last year and were competitive early in the season at Cleveland. 

The Browns have a ton of talent but Baker just isn't completely doing it for me yet. 

At this point, he may be the 3rd best QB in the division, but he seems to have bought in to their coach's system and is not taking poor chances.  He really came on down the stretch.  I hope our coaching staff can do what Cleveland's has done in a very short time frame.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:52 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote:  This is just one of the comparisons I will be looking at in the next couple of years, just like we all did with Ragnow vs Price. 

Funny how all the people who obsess with Ragnow never take a minute too compare Hubbard to the DEs taken before him.  Or compare Higgins to Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor.

If all you ever look for is negativity then that is all you will ever find.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:56 AM)Spider Wrote: This guy is gonna be a beast for this team.. Insane motor and he seems very Driven to be great!!

Agreed on Hubert, I didnt know much about him prior but after watching some tape, and reading his scouting reports he could be a great value pick and is one of those guys you cant help rooting for. Just looking at the Dline slots it looks dicey on how many of these picks make the team.

DTs- Reader, Daniels, Wren, Topou, Shelvin
DEs- Hubbard, Sample, Ossai, Hendrickson, KAreem , XX? Hubert?  Or is Ossai slotting in as a LB? 

I still think we need  a VET Alpha Dog LB  and I have seen some talk of KJ Wright. That would be awsome.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how all the people who obsess with Ragnow never take a minute too compare Hubbard to the DEs taken before him.  Or compare Higgins to Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor.

If all you ever look for is negativity then that is all you will ever find.

Right!!! FFS.. people who obsess with Frank Ragnow seem to believe the Bengal passed on him to pick Billy Price instead. RAGNOW WAS NOT THERE WHEN THE BENGALS MADE THE PRICE SELECTION....... they might as well crap on the Ja'marr Chase selection and say we should have taken Trevor Lawrence instead, because that makes just as much sense.
Reply/Quote
4th down and inches........we have Reader and Shelvin at DT.........like our odds
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right!!! FFS.. people who obsess with Frank Ragnow seem to believe the Bengal passed on him to pick Billy Price instead. RAGNOW WAS NOT THERE WHEN THE BENGALS MADE THE PRICE SELECTION....... they might as well crap on the Ja'marr Chase selection and say we should have taken Trevor Lawrence instead, because that makes just as much sense.

Fair point, but people still compare the two right or wrong. My point is there will be a lot of Sewell vs Chase comparisons in the next few years along with Carman vs anyone else available. 

We may just have an all-World QB on our team and passing over any talent to support him for someone who was a bust is going to be even more pronounced. 
Reply/Quote
All 10 could make the roster. Which is crazy. We needed this

*=draft pick

QB Burrow, Allen
RB Mixon, Perine, Williams, Evans*
WR Chase*, Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Thomas, Stanley
TE Sample, Uzomah, Moss, Wilcox
OL Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman*, Reiff, Su'a-filo, Adeniji, Smith*, Hill*, Johnson (trade Price and MJ to the Jags? Only OL they drafted was Walker Little)

DT Reader, Ogunjobi, Shelvin*, Wren, Daniels
DE  Hendrickson, Hubbard, Sample*, Kareem, Hubert*
LB ADG, Wilson, Pratt, Ossai*, Evans, Bailey
S Bates, Bell, Wilson, Allen
CB Waynes, Hilton, Awuzie, Phillips, Apple

ST
Huber, McPherson*, Harris
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:46 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Great first pick.
Second pick is solid but the Bengals traded down to get him and gave teams a shot at OTs as a result and a run of 3 resulted. Big gamble for a position of dire need.

I love the kicker pick, very Bengals.
C was addressed at the 6th round, I wish it was addressed sooner but the draft didn’t unfold to do it.

7 of 10 picks work in the trench, I liked that over emphasis.

Tackle isn't a position of dire need.  IF they really thought that they needed one, they would have taken Sewell.  I think they are perfectly fine in their minds with Jonah and Reiff.
Reply/Quote
Had they picked up a better IOL in FA, I would consider this draft pretty good.
The Bengals ended up having the cap space to sign someone like Corey Linsley, Joe Thuney, or both Kevin Zeitler and David Andrews.
Wish they would have pulled the trigger.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right!!! FFS.. people who obsess with Frank Ragnow seem to believe the Bengal passed on him to pick Billy Price instead. RAGNOW WAS NOT THERE WHEN THE BENGALS MADE THE PRICE SELECTION....... they might as well crap on the Ja'marr Chase selection and say we should have taken Trevor Lawrence instead, because that makes just as much sense.

Wait, we did pass on Ragnow via trade.  Isn't the comparison to the 2021 draft based on the trade down?  The Bengals had the 12th pick in 2018.  They traded the 12th and 187th to Buffalo in exchange for Buffalo's 21st, 158th and Cordy Glenn.  Ragnow went 20th to the Lions.  Ragnow was there if we stayed at 12 but we decided Price + Glenn > Ragnow. No one is saying Ragnow and Price were both on the board when the Bengals made their selection.

Now we decided that Carman + Shelvin + Smith was better than Jenkins/Eichenberg/Little.  We shall see.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:58 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Want a shitty team? DUMP a crazy amount of your salary cap into Guards. 

I never played football, so please forgive my ignorance... but I have a serious question.
What is the big deal with "Guards?"  Why is ANY position on the OL valued any less than any other?  I mean, you
certainly don't want a turnstyle anywhere along the O-Line... allowing defenders free access to your QB.
So, shouldn't they all be considered equally important?
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If all you ever look for is negativity then that is all you will ever find.

If that's not in every 10th fortune cookie made, it should be.   No, honestly.  I love finding wisdom in random places.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 11:49 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Wait, we did pass on Ragnow via trade.  Isn't the comparison to the 2021 draft based on the trade down?  The Bengals had the 12th pick in 2018.  They traded the 12th and 187th to Buffalo in exchange for Buffalo's 21st, 158th and Cordy Glenn.  Ragnow went 20th to the Lions.  Ragnow was there if we stayed at 12 but we decided Price + Glenn > Ragnow.  No one is saying Ragnow and Price were both on the board when the Bengals made their selection.

Now we decided that Carman + Shelvin + Smith was better than Jenkins/Eichenberg/Little.  We shall see.

Shows that our FO tried to address the Oline, but missed hugely.  Amazing how Ragnow is better than 2 Oline pieces.  Quality trumps quantity.  I felt sick missing on Ragnow, but this trade down for Carman I am okay with.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 06:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

They had 7 of the first 150 picks. Every non-playoff team (before trades and the like) will have 5 of the top 150 picks.

That said, I am curious as to how their top 150 lists have performed in the past, preferably segmented into groupings. I feel like there's probably a huge difference in quality between their Top 30, Top 31-60, Top 61-90, Top 91-120, and Top 121-150 after 3 years in the league.

For instance, this is draft order, not PFF Top 150, but picks 91-150 (the final 2 of those 5 groupings) has produced 1 Pro Bowler in the last 3 drafts ('18-'20) and it was a Punter. Meanwhile the Top 30 picks have produced 18. (31-60 had 7, 61-90 had 5).

UDFAs (3) actually have more than the 91-150 double group's 1.

Does anyone know if PFF ever goes back and looks at their Top 150 a few years later to see how they did with their rankings?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure anyone can ever be said to dominate a draft, because ultimately the question is whether the team accomplished its objectives and if those objectives align to the common goal of creating a winning football team.

Now with the Bengals draft, it has one "flash" player and of the other 9 7 are linemen (OL or DL). This is the definition of a "trench" or meat and potatoes draft. And to be honest the Bengals have needed such a draft probably since 2017 at the latest. We reloaded the LB room last offseason and this offseason reloaded both the OL and DL rooms. Also in Free Agency they retooled the secondary so that we don't need to be seeing LeShaun Sims out there as a starter. I have to give credit where it is due - they identified lack of depth as a big problem and went out and addressed it.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:30 AM)Spider Wrote: My Thoughts..
We didn't really need Sewell....
Joe Burrow is so talented he just needs a serviceable offensive line.. Last year that wasnt the case.. Below average talent and ofcourse injuries were completely to blame..
This draft was perfect based on potential talent and depth because injuries on the Oline will always be a factor..
And we snagged the best receiver on the board and possibly a kicker we can all finally trust
Who Dey

This couldn't be further from the truth for any QB.  Even the best guys need a good to great O-line to win a Super Bowl.  The goal here isn't to win 7-8 games a year, it's to win a title.

Do we need Sewell next year?  Probably not, we have 2 serviceable tackles.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:11 AM)PDub80 Wrote: How can Bengals fans not like these picks????

Are you new here.... Hilarious
We have numerous posters who resemble that cartoon character who walks around with a dark cloud over his head raining on him all the time..... 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 11:49 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Wait, we did pass on Ragnow via trade.  Isn't the comparison to the 2021 draft based on the trade down?  The Bengals had the 12th pick in 2018.  They traded the 12th and 187th to Buffalo in exchange for Buffalo's 21st, 158th and Cordy Glenn.  Ragnow went 20th to the Lions.  Ragnow was there if we stayed at 12 but we decided Price + Glenn > Ragnow.  No one is saying Ragnow and Price were both on the board when the Bengals made their selection.

It's a little different when you play the trade down game. They traded down hoping Ragnow would still be there. He almost was. If they Lions hadn't swiped him right before us at 20, the front office would have made an amazing move. Sometimes moving up or back in the draft works, sometimes it doesn't. Point remains, Ragnow was not there when Price was picked. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 04:19 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I never played football, so please forgive my ignorance... but I have a serious question.
What is the big deal with "Guards?"  Why is ANY position on the OL valued any less than any other?  I mean, you
certainly don't want a turnstyle anywhere along the O-Line... allowing defenders free access to your QB.
So, shouldn't they all be considered equally important?

Playing Guard is not easy, but it is the easiest position on the line to play. A tackle has to stop guys trying to come through him and guys trying to go around him, and be able to block for runners. A Center has to be smart enough to check assignments and focus on the snap. A guard plays in tight space in between the Center and Tackle, and only has to be tough enough to say no one's coming through this lane, and strong enough to push forward and open holes for the runner. It's easier to find guards than it is Centers or tackles. More players available=cheaper to sign. That's all.
Reply/Quote