Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 11:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: sorry if i actually make sense..maybe you need to try it sometime..  Wink

They have their reasons, whatever. My opinion is that their reasons are unnecessary, i'm not the only one with that opinion. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, because players will get signed. I just think that the veil of secrecy specifically dealing with lower tier free agents is just dumb. The front office does some things right and they do some things wrong, this is a matter in which I think they could take a look at their strategy. This is how they operate and it will probably never change, but im entitled to disagree with it so you can say whatever you want.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 08:49 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: They have their reasons, whatever. My opinion is that their reasons are unnecessary, i'm not the only one with that opinion. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, because players will get signed. I just think that the veil of secrecy specifically dealing with lower tier free agents is just dumb. The front office does some things right and they do some things wrong, this is a matter in which I think they could take a look at their strategy. This is how they operate and it will probably never change, but im entitled to disagree with it so you can say whatever you want.

so you would rather them post announcements saying we are close then if the player doesnt sign then what?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: so you would rather them post announcements saying we are close then if the player doesnt sign then what?

Then he doesn't sign. Shit happens. I mean for whatever reason the deal falls through i'm sure it will be revealed eventually.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:17 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Then he doesn't sign. Shit happens. I mean for whatever reason the deal falls through i'm sure it will be revealed eventually.

there is no need for constant and instant gradification... We will get news when there is actually news to get outside of that they are just talknig or visiting with folks.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is no need for constant and instant gradification... We will get news when there is actually news to get outside of that they are just talknig or visiting with folks.

I don't need instant gratification, just a little more transparency. I don't care to know what all the details are, but a little insight of the teams intentions wouldn't hurt.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't need instant gratification, just a little more transparency. I don't care to know what all the details are, but a little insight of the teams intentions wouldn't hurt.

Actually yes it would.  It would lead to more teams using the Bengals just to get better offers from other teams.
Reply/Quote
Basically, people want the Bengals to be a loud mouth franchise that puts rumors and quotes out there about every single situation. We're not the Cowboys or the Jets. Quit wanting instant gratification, the team is doing just fine.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually yes it would.  It would lead to more teams using the Bengals just to get better offers from other teams.

I may be just bitching and moaning here, but that doesn't make any sense.
Reply/Quote
I guess we would prefer the John Elway style

On Twitter: "Today we brought in a large athletic receiver in Brandon LaFell. He has been productive in New England and we think he can bring a veteran presence to our WR room while also having the skill set to be a great WR2 for our club. Working on a deal with his agent now."
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:50 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I may be just bitching and moaning here, but that doesn't make any sense.

I think you are just bitching and moaning YXD, but i remember it felt like we were used with both Shaun Rogers
and Donte Whitner. Both of those times i had my hopes up and got blue ballz from the experience. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you are just bitching and moaning YXD, but i remember it felt like we were used with both Shaun Rogers
and Donte Whitner. Both of those times i had my hopes up and got blue ballz from the experience. Mellow

I have nothing of value to offer this board, all I do is just ***** and moan. Sorry.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 04:24 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I have nothing of value to offer this board, all I do is just ***** and moan. Sorry.

Made me laugh out loud man for realz. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I think this deal does get done eventually. It would be a good signing and further open up the draft. I have no idea why it's taking so long though. I want to say it was Hobson that I saw on twitter today say the Bengals hope to get this deal done in the next week or two. The only reason I can see it taking that long is that the team may be trying to finish off other deals (unfortunately Taylor Mays, hopefully Reggie Nelson) first before they wrap things up with LaFell. The only issue I have with that is that leaves the potential for LaFell to go elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:17 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Then he doesn't sign. Shit happens. I mean for whatever reason the deal falls through i'm sure it will be revealed eventually.

The FO got murdered by fans when the reported signings of Warren Sapp, Whitner, & Shaun Rodgers fell through.

I don't blame them at all for being prudent in business when it comes to announcing signings. Frankly, I think that I myself need to adopt this approach with my own business more often.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 04:24 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I have nothing of value to offer this board, all I do is just ***** and moan. Sorry.

Well, you could always become a lurker.  You know, one of those folks that reads much more than they post.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shaun Rogers we screwed up. Whitner was him flat out lying to us and it messed him up the next time he was looking for a deal as he has the rep now of dishonesty.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Shaun Rogers we screwed up. Whitner was him flat out lying to us and it messed him up the next time he was looking for a deal as he has the rep now of dishonesty.

This is true. Neither of those were screwed up by a leak of info. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Shaun Rogers we screwed up. Whitner was him flat out lying to us and it messed him up the next time he was looking for a deal as he has the rep now of dishonesty.

Nope we have to be tight lipped, and no one can know anything until pen is on the paper. We have to make the free agent sign a confidentiality form even before we agree to have him in for a visit. Otherwise the whole plan can go kabloowee!! Ninja
Reply/Quote
Someone corrected me earlier on Nate Washington and pointed out that it took 2 weeks for him to sign with NE. It was actually 10 days, but who's counting. We're now close to 2 weeks since LaFell's visit and a full week since it was announced we were "closing in" on a deal. Btw, Dansby's deal isn't official either and it was only announced that a deal is "almost" done.

Fwiw, I do think we'll get these guys signed, but I've never seen a couple of lower level FA's take so long to sign. Especially when word is that deals are imminent. Maybe LaFell and Dansby are disappointed in the current market for their services? I don't care what anyone says, free agency is moving slower than usual this year. It does typically slow down after the first few days, but damn.

There's still plenty of decent players available and they're barely even taking visits, let alone signing contracts. I'm guessing that agents are waiting for things to heat up so they can get better offers, while teams are waiting it out for prices to drop. Some of these guys may have to wait til the draft is finished from the looks of it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote