Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
(03-24-2016, 12:06 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lol I honestly believe this deal isn't going to happen. I mean Lafell shouldn't be that hard of a deal to get done, its not like hes a high profile free agent that's going to demand a lot. My guess is someone offered him more and he's moved on, or he didn't check out medically.

Its cause the crew has been spread out at pro-days doing what they do best as of late.

Talent evaluation for the draft.

In weeks 2-5 of FA there is no hurry to get deals done.
They prob knock it out on Mon after Easter.
Hopefully they can get Reggie to bite on a cheaper contract and return as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 12:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Please tell me the exact date that some of these free agents came in also please give me the data on any medical issues that may be we looked at in that time period also please give me the offers that were given and any counter offers that were given  between the free agents in The Bengals.  the bottom line is you or I know nothing when it comes to negotiations because we aren't involved in them.

Uh...I never claimed to know any of that. What I do know is that it's not common for things to drag out this long when all reports were that we were on the verge of signing both. It's a little frustrating, but not really that big of a deal. So I'm not sure why you're flipping out over what I said. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious as to what the hold up is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sounds like typical pre-draft smoke screen from Marv. I hope.

....and I hope this means both players are looking good and ready to make an impact. 

Wright is a 6'2" 205 lb WR with 4.4. speed who jumped out of the gym at his pro day. He fell so far in the draft because of limited playing time on O. But what receiver is going to shine behind a tandem of Jarvis Landry and ODB?

Alford is an absolutely blazer that demonstrated the best short speed at the combine. He was disappointed with the 4.43 he ran at the combine so he ran again at his Pro Day and ran in the 4.2s. 

I would absolutely love for them to shine.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fred - saying I wish the Bengals would show a little more urgency isn't "bashing" and doesn't mean I hate the Bengals. We're allowed to question the team. The super hero act is getting extremely old with you.

Right.

"Piddle farting" is a compliment where you come from? 

(03-26-2016, 12:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Also I found an article that said he visited New England on March 14th and he just signed a contract this week so there's two week. Right there that New England took signing Nate Washington

Thank you.  Now shake can cry about New England "piddle farting around."
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think they will spend a first rounder on a WR just because we are not looking for a #1 WR.  But on the other hand, if they were considering it I don't think signing Lafell would change that. 

I would not be opposed to a WR in the first round, but only if it was BPA.  The NFL is more and more a passing league.  So I would not complain about having a stud as our #2 WR.

For what it's worth, I've read tweets saying OSU Michael Thomas is tops there board. Says remind them of Sanu, but a higher ceiling...but he's a bit raw for round 1 pick IMO.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What I do know is that it's not common for things to drag out this long when all reports were that we were on the verge of signing both.

Then you havent been following the Bengals very long....they dragr everything out and keep it very close to the vest until there's an announcement after the contract is signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.

Thank you.  Now shake can cry about New England "piddle farting around."
Thank you, Shake acts like he knows exactly when we interviewed our FA and acts like NE gets things done fast etc then when post that maech 14th is when NE met with Washington that he was incorrect he just ignores that post, and he says I'm flipping out it seems like he is flipping out about our negotiations without knowing very much and making major assumptions on New England's negotiations.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 01:32 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: They prob knock it out on Mon after Easter.

Sorry.  The thought of Mikey having an Easter Egg hunt with contracts inside for Lafell/Dansby popped into my head.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M8713a9170b883db8db9672b0d298e...0&pid=15.1]

Quite amusing.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....and I hope this means both players are looking good and ready to make an impact. 

Wright is a 6'2" 205 lb WR with 4.4. speed who jumped out of the gym at his pro day. He fell so far in the draft because of limited playing time on O. But what receiver is going to shine behind a tandem of Jarvis Landry and ODB?

Alford is an absolutely blazer that demonstrated the best short speed at the combine. He was disappointed with the 4.43 he ran at the combine so he ran again at his Pro Day and ran in the 4.2s. 

I would absolutely love for them to shine.  

I'm pretty sure we'd all love for them to shine. Whoever helps the team, it doesn't matter to me. That said, there's reasons why they went where they went. Going into the season relying on those 2 would be foolish and I'm sure we won't.

(03-26-2016, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.

Not a compliment, but I don't know anyone who takes it as a harsh insult either. Just means I wish they'd show more urgency.

But I'm sorry you took it so hard.

(03-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: Then you havent been following the Bengals very long....they dragr everything out and keep it very close to the vest until there's an announcement after the contract is signed.

I guess you missed the part where I said "when it's been announced they're on the verge of signing".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 10:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I guess you missed the part where I said "when it's been announced they're on the verge of signing".

By who? Not the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 10:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: By who? Not the Bengals.

Fair enough. I'm just a little frustrated by the lack of news is all. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 10:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm pretty sure we'd all love for them to shine. Whoever helps the team, it doesn't matter to me. That said, there's reasons why they went where they went. Going into the season relying on those 2 would be foolish and I'm sure we won't.

Consider Armon Binns.  There was talks of the staff liking him a lot, and more about him came out pre draft.  I believe that was the year they actually drafted Sanu and Jones.  Either way, I'm sure that the two young WR's have potential but you're right in the fact that you don't plan around them reaching that potential.  I don't comprehend how having that stance means you automatically doubt the player, but yea it happens.  I'm not calling either one Binns, that example was just the timing of the staff talking about them. That way if they have to depend on them it helps possibly ease the blow from the media/fans and doesn't make them look desperate to an aging vet FA trying to peddle more money out of them post draft. I want a vet and a rookie with more upside than those two on the roster next year.  If they beat out the other rookie so be it, but you have to have at least one vet if both of them still have holes in their game that keeps them on the bench. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 02:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, but LaFell only played 1.5 seasons in NE. Carolina generally threw less than us, so it evens out.

Also, we're talking one player vs two. 

Either way, my point isn't really to say that LaFell > MLJ and Sanu combined. It's more to say that LaFell is better than some think and maybe MLJ and Sanu weren't quite as good/productive as some think.
We definitely know Sanu isn't as good as Atlanta seems to believe and if he is well then good for Atlanta.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. I'm just a little frustrated by the lack of news is all. 

I honestly think everything came to a halt while the owners were at the NFL meetings last week.
Reply/Quote
With a 1st-2 nd round draft pick + Lafell, I think we've upgraded the wr position already. I was never really high on Marvin jones or sanu.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
In my head, I picture Mike standing in the corner office where negotiations take place, doing this:

Reply/Quote
I'm hopeful because neither Dansby nor Lafell have visited anywhere else since they came to Cincy. It must mean the deals are in the works. That's what I want to believe anyway.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Tomorrow should be the day. Remember a lot of ball players are super religious. Don't think any deal will get done on Easter Sunday. IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 08:12 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I honestly think everything came to a halt while the owners were at the NFL meetings last week.

Bogus... Other teams managed to add free agents during that time frame. Im not buying that excuse for our front office. I mean we managed to resign Thompson. I don't think the interest is that high on both guys we brought in.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 11:30 AM)Shady Wrote: I'm hopeful because neither Dansby nor Lafell have visited anywhere else since they came to Cincy. It must mean the deals are in the works. That's what I want to believe anyway.

This is what i tend to believe as well. But i am an optimist by nature.
Reply/Quote