Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
I think signing LaFell isn't bad. I understand the Bengals limited themselves because of comp picks, but at least they appear to be addressing the need for a veteran WR.

If they could bring back Reggie and sign Dansby, I think free agency would be a big win for the Bengals. Obviously no one wanted to lose Jones AND Sanu, but bringing back key defensive pieces, a veteran WR, and a LB upgrade would be great.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol I honestly believe this deal isn't going to happen. I mean Lafell shouldn't be that hard of a deal to get done, its not like hes a high profile free agent that's going to demand a lot. My guess is someone offered him more and he's moved on, or he didn't check out medically.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:06 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lol I honestly believe this deal isn't going to happen. I mean Lafell shouldn't be that hard of a deal to get done, its not like hes a high profile free agent that's going to demand a lot. My guess is someone offered him more and he's moved on, or he didn't check out medically.

According to what i heard on the radio last night with Hobspin is that Mikey and Marvin are just getting back from the owner's meetings and timing may be an issue.  Maybe the head coach and owner might want to meet the guy?  Just maybe? 

This board just kills me....For example...Taylor Mays' contract is not even finalized and signed yet because Mikey and Marvin being out of town...hell...maybe even it will fall through...who knows???
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: According to what i heard on the radio last night with Hobspin is that Mikey and Marvin are just getting back from the owner's meetings and timing may be an issue.  Maybe the head coach and owner might want to meet the guy?  Just maybe? 

I knew about this, but it does not make sense for a guy to visit when he could not meet with the people he needs to.

And it also explains why there has not been any interest from other teams.  They have all been away at the meetings also.
Reply/Quote
If they sign Lafell it means we dont have to take a WR in the 1st round as many here seem to think is required.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: If they sign Lafell it means we dont have to take a WR in the 1st round as many here seem to think is required.

I don't think they will spend a first rounder on a WR just because we are not looking for a #1 WR.  But on the other hand, if they were considering it I don't think signing Lafell would change that. 

I would not be opposed to a WR in the first round, but only if it was BPA.  The NFL is more and more a passing league.  So I would not complain about having a stud as our #2 WR.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: According to what i heard on the radio last night with Hobspin is that Mikey and Marvin are just getting back from the owner's meetings and timing may be an issue.  Maybe the head coach and owner might want to meet the guy?  Just maybe? 

This board just kills me....For example...Taylor Mays' contract is not even finalized and signed yet because Mikey and Marvin being out of town...hell...maybe even it will fall through...who knows???

A lot of chicken littles on this board fo sho
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think they will spend a first rounder on a WR just because we are not looking for a #1 WR.  But on the other hand, if they were considering it I don't think signing Lafell would change that. 

I would not be opposed to a WR in the first round, but only if it was BPA.  The NFL is more and more a passing league.  So I would not complain about having a stud as our #2 WR.

Judging by the fact they have met with Treadwell, Doctson, and Coleman. I'd say they are probably very open to drafting a first round WR. I'd like to bring in LaFell, but I also agree if they were considering a first round WR (and I think they are), signing LaFell shouldn't change that. He should just be added to the mix at WR, but we certainly shouldn't be putting all of our eggs in that one basket.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 02:32 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Judging by the fact they have met with Treadwell, Doctson, and Coleman. I'd say they are probably very open to drafting a first round WR.

I usually obsess over the draft, but I have not been following these things very closely this year.
Reply/Quote
Maybe that small Reuben Randle deal is slowing down talks?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think they will spend a first rounder on a WR just because we are not looking for a #1 WR.  But on the other hand, if they were considering it I don't think signing Lafell would change that. 

If Doctson,Coleman,or Treadwell are there I think they pull the trigger. If one of those three are not there I think WR becomes the second or third round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 02:32 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Judging by the fact they have met with Treadwell, Doctson, and Coleman. I'd say they are probably very open to drafting a first round WR. I'd like to bring in LaFell, but I also agree if they were considering a first round WR (and I think they are), signing LaFell shouldn't change that. He should just be added to the mix at WR, but we certainly shouldn't be putting all of our eggs in that one basket.

It will also be worth to see if the Bengals look to meet with WRs like Fuller, Boyd, Michael Thomas. It seems they that the WRs they've met with are all what many consider clear first-rounders. Fuller, Michael Thomas, and Boyd are borderline first rounders but likely early second rounders. I am leaning toward the Bengals will take a WR in the first round only if one of Coleman, Treadwell, or Doctson is there. Otherwise, they will go with another position (likely CB) and take a WR later.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Has anybody heard anything new on this?

Also I listened to an interview with Marvin on Sirius and he was talking up Mario Alford and James Wright, so WR might not be addressed as early as most think in the draft.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just finished reading an article from Bengals.com and it said the Bengals plans were to finish negotiations with Lafell and Dansby in the next week then go to the draft.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 03:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It will also be worth to see if the Bengals look to meet with WRs like Fuller, Boyd, Michael Thomas. It seems they that the WRs they've met with are all what many consider clear first-rounders. Fuller, Michael Thomas, and Boyd are borderline first rounders but likely early second rounders. I am leaning toward the Bengals will take a WR in the first round only if one of Coleman, Treadwell, or Doctson is there. Otherwise, they will go with another position (likely CB) and take a WR later.

There was a rumor on Twitter recently that said we had Michael Thomas as our #1 receiver on our board.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 10:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Has anybody heard anything new on this?

Also I listened to an interview with Marvin on Sirius and he was talking up Mario Alford and James Wright, so WR might not be addressed as early as most think in the draft.

Sounds like typical pre-draft smoke screen from Marv. I hope.

(03-26-2016, 10:53 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Just finished reading an article from Bengals.com and it said the Bengals plans were to finish negotiations with Lafell and Dansby in the next week then go to the draft.

I've never heard of negotiations taking 2 weeks. Just as an example, but the Pats brought in Nate Washington (to replace LaFell) and signed him almost immediately. Very strange how casual the Bengals are about it. If they feel these players can help the team, you'd think they'd aggressively pursue them, not piddle-fart around for 2 weeks waiting for another interested team to swoop in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've never heard of negotiations taking 2 weeks. Just as an example, but the Pats brought in Nate Washington (to replace LaFell) and signed him almost immediately. Very strange how casual the Bengals are about it. If they feel these players can help the team, you'd think they'd aggressively pursue them, not piddle-fart around for 2 weeks waiting for another interested team to swoop in.

More bashing of the Bengals when every other team in the league is still looking to sign free agents.

Why hasn't every other team already signed all the available free agents?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: More bashing of the Bengals when every other team in the league is still looking to sign free agents.

Why hasn't every other team already signed all the available free agents?

Is this what you'd call a strawman? The Bengals had these 2 in for visits and it's been reported that they were nearing deals with both. The team website even says they're in negotiations. So how about you give me some examples of other teams that have negotiated with a free agent for 2 weeks?

Fred - saying I wish the Bengals would show a little more urgency isn't "bashing" and doesn't mean I hate the Bengals. We're allowed to question the team. The super hero act is getting extremely old with you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is this what you'd call a strawman? The Bengals had these 2 in for visits and it's been reported that they were nearing deals with both. The team website even says they're in negotiations. So how about you give me some examples of other teams that have negotiated with a free agent for 2 weeks?

Fred - saying I wish the Bengals would show a little more urgency isn't "bashing" and doesn't mean I hate the Bengals. We're allowed to question the team. The super hero act is getting extremely old with you.
Please tell me the exact date that some of these free agents came in also please give me the data on any medical issues that may be we looked at in that time period also please give me the offers that were given and any counter offers that were given between the free agents in The Bengals. the bottom line is you or I know nothing when it comes to negotiations because we aren't involved in them.
Reply/Quote
Also I found an article that said he visited New England on March 14th and he just signed a contract this week so there's two week. Right there that New England took signing Nate Washington
Reply/Quote