Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
(03-27-2016, 12:50 PM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: Tomorrow should be the day. Remember a lot of ball players are super religious. Don't think any deal will get done on Easter Sunday. IMHO.

FYI, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a nightmare about your sig pic/gif at some point.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 01:07 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bogus... Other teams managed to add free agents during that time frame. Im not buying that excuse for our front office. I mean we managed to resign Thompson. I don't think the interest is that high on both guys we brought in.

You may be right.  I read on Bengals.com that they expect Vinnie Rey to fill in for Burfict.  Dansby would have been a nice addition though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 01:07 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bogus... Other teams managed to add free agents during that time frame. Im not buying that excuse for our front office. I mean we managed to resign Thompson. I don't think the interest is that high on both guys we brought in.

The interesting view is the interest is not high on both for anyone since they are still unsigned... my guess is they are in talks with the Bengals and that is why neither have signed yet with any other club.   

We are all guessing but we know one thing for sure that is  neither Nelson, Dansby or Lafell have signed with anyone yet.. so there is still a chance that one to three sign with the Bengals still. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 05:14 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You may be right.  I read on Bengals.com that they expect Vinnie Rey to fill in for Burfict.  Dansby would have been a nice addition though.

Dansby makes a whole lot of sense for us. The way this front office operates just doesn't make sense though.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 09:30 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: With a 1st-2 nd round draft pick + Lafell,  I think we've upgraded the wr position already.   I was never really high on Marvin jones or sanu.

Saun never really impressed me beyond the trick play where he'd throw the ball.

Jones had grew on me as a solid #2, possession receiver, but I think he's screwed when he's forced to play more of a loner role without AJ to draw coverage (I know he was "ok" when AJ was out, but I don't thin he can consistently do it in Detroit).
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 05:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Saun never really impressed me beyond the trick play where he'd throw the ball.

Jones had grew on me as a solid #2, possession receiver, but I think he's screwed when he's forced to play more of a loner role without AJ to draw coverage (I know he was "ok" when AJ was out, but I don't thin he can consistently do it in Detroit).

I don't think Jones ever played while Green was hurt. I think youre thinking about Sanu.
Reply/Quote
I'm okay with this signing.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 05:33 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dansby makes a whole lot of sense for us. The way this front office operates just doesn't make sense though.

I usually don't defend the FO but what would you want them to do?

Throw tons of money at a 35 year old LB'er and act like Lafell is a #1 WR?

I mean, you just need to have a touch of patience.

This might all work out just like you want. But i want the FO to be smart about it.

Honestly the worst decision i have seen them make this Offseason is make as big of an offer as they did to MLJ. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually don't defend the FO but what would you want them to do?

This might all work out just like you want. But i want the FO to be smart about it.

Honestly the worst decision i have seen them make this Offseason is make as big of an offer as they did to MLJ. Mellow

Yep, some people need a little patience. The initial rush of FA is over, no need to go crazy at this point. Sounds like they plan on signing one or both of dansby/LaFell. Then wouldn't be shocked to see Reggie added too, even if that's not until the draft rolls around. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep, some people need a little patience. The initial rush of FA is over, no need to go crazy at this point. Sounds like they plan on signing one or both of dansby/LaFell. Then wouldn't be shocked to see Reggie added too, even if that's not until the draft rolls around. 

You know whats up. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually don't defend the FO but what would you want them to do?

im not talking about overpaying in free agency, but its more the approach they take to courting a free agent. Theres this huge unnecessary shroud of secrecy. I mean it really doesn't matter either way if they are trying to hammer out a deal or not, but not as such as a mouse fart escapes PBS if a free agent comes to town. Usually you hear something come out from a players agent, but we don't even get as much as that. It almost feels like they come and meet with coaches and owners, leave without a deal, then we throw an offer at them days after they've left. Im sure Dansby and Lafell both came, probably spent a day or two here, then left. Then days later we here that the team is interested in signing them.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep, some people need a little patience. The initial rush of FA is over, no need to go crazy at this point. Sounds like they plan on signing one or both of dansby/LaFell. Then wouldn't be shocked to see Reggie added too, even if that's not until the draft rolls around. 

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 08:26 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: im not talking about overpaying in free agency, but its more the approach they take to courting a free agent. Theres this huge unnecessary shroud of secrecy. I mean it really doesn't matter either way if they are trying to hammer out a deal or not, but not as such as a mouse fart escapes PBS if a free agent comes to town. Usually you hear something come out from a players agent, but we don't even get as much as that. It almost feels like they come and meet with coaches and owners, leave without a deal, then we throw an offer at them days after they've left. Im sure Dansby and Lafell both came, probably spent a day or two here, then left. Then days later we here that the team is interested in signing them.

do you think what the fans feel or want.. really matters to NFL organizations.. they don;t work at our will.. as I stated before.. NE took around two weeks to sign Nate Washington.. i assume you would be whining about them too if you were a NE fan.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 09:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: do you think what the fans feel or want.. really matters to NFL organizations.. they don;t work at our will.. as I stated before.. NE took around two weeks to sign Nate Washington.. i assume you would be whining about them too if you were a NE fan.

All im saying is that the Bengals have always operated in this manner but for why? Whats the point? It gives them no competitive advantage. I think as fans who invest a lot of time and money into this franchise we deserve a little transparency. Being so tight lipped serves no purpose what so ever.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 10:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: All im saying is that the Bengals have always operated in this manner but for why? Whats the point? It gives them no competitive advantage. I think as fans who invest a lot of time and money into this franchise we deserve a little transparency. Being so tight lipped serves no purpose what so ever.

Why do you feel youre entitled to moment by moment details of their negotiations? All you need to know is who your team signed. In this society of instant gratification its funny how people no longer have the patience to wait to find out what has happened. The only thing that could happen by letting fans know where negotiations stand is that it would screw up any negotiating leverage either party has. The Bengals policy of not announcing anything until a deal is signed is a sound one.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 11:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: Why do you feel youre entitled to moment by moment details of their negotiations? All you need to know is who your team signed. In this society of instant gratification its funny how people no longer have the patience to wait to find out what has happened. The only thing that could happen by letting fans know where negotiations stand is that it would screw up any negotiating leverage either party has. The Bengals policy of not announcing anything until a deal is signed is a sound one.

I feel entitled only because there is no good reason to not disclose anything. Really no good reason at all but simply a way for the organization to thumb their noses at the fans.

I mean they pay Hobson for a reason. Why not give him a little more to put out.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 11:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: Why do you feel youre entitled to moment by moment details of their negotiations? All you need to know is who your team signed. In this society of instant gratification its funny how people no longer have the patience to wait to find out what has happened. The only thing that could happen by letting fans know where negotiations stand is that it would screw up any negotiating leverage either party has. The Bengals policy of not announcing anything until a deal is signed is a sound one.

Especially since it isn't a deal until the ink is on the paper.

Just ask Donte Whitner or Warren Sapp.

As to actually getting signed, relax people!  If the player has the intention of signing an agreement, they will do so.

There are plenty of times we came to an agreement with a player but there was some time before the actual signing.  Sam Adams stands out in my mind there...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Especially since it isn't a deal until the ink is on the paper.

Just ask Donte Whitner or Warren Sapp.

As to actually getting signed, relax people!  If the player has the intention of signing an agreement, they will do so.

There are plenty of times we came to an agreement with a player but there was some time before the actual signing.  Sam Adams stands out in my mind there...

I am in no way what so ever in a rush to see a player like Lafell signed. There's better WR's out there in free agency. Signing the bargain bin guys left at this point isn't a reason to get impatient. My only quirk is with their need to envelop the whole process in secrecy. Any dealings with guys like Dansby or Lafell doesn't need to be a mystery to anyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:17 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I feel entitled only because there is no good reason to not disclose anything. Really no good reason at all but simply a way for the organization to thumb their noses at the fans.

I mean they pay Hobson for a reason. Why not give him a little more to put out.

To put out what?

Either he's signed or he hasn't. In a broad sense, that's all it is. And if he hasn't signed, there's nothing to report. In a narrow sense, do you really want minute by minute updates for other teams as to who we are and aren't signing? If it's between us and, say, Seattle for a free agent linebacker, do you want Hobson tweeting regularly what we're offering, how likely the linebacker is to take it, what he ate for dinner, etc?

We all want to know. But there's nothing good that will come of it until papers are signed. 
Reply/Quote