Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
(03-27-2016, 05:33 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dansby makes a whole lot of sense for us. The way this front office operates just doesn't make sense though.

The way our fans judge our front office makes no sense.

None of these guys have signed anywhere else.  No front office in the league just hands out blank checks.  Don't know why you think he bengals should be any different.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:17 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I feel entitled only because there is no good reason to not disclose anything.

Yes there is.. I told you it screws up any leverage either party has. The fans have zero need to know where negotiations stand until theyre done. This FO has done many deals that turned out to be really smart...even though fans were clamoring for something else because they think they know better. Then in the long run, the FO decision turned out to be way better than what the fans wanted. The FO looks at things in the long term, the fans are rooted in instant gratification. Imagine if the Bengals announced every offer and counter offer. Then the knee jerk fans start saying they want the player and the Bengals are being too stubborn. Who do you think that favors? The leverage just switched from the Bengals, to the player. The player's agent now knows the Bengals are under pressure from the fans, and holds the Bengals hostage for a higher amount. The long term result is salary cap problems like many teams face now. Bottom line is, the fans do not need to know anything until a deal is in place.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:52 PM)Benton Wrote: To put out what?

Either he's signed or he hasn't. In a broad sense, that's all it is. And if he hasn't signed, there's nothing to report. In a narrow sense, do you really want minute by minute updates for other teams as to who we are and aren't signing? If it's between us and, say, Seattle for a free agent linebacker, do you want Hobson tweeting regularly what we're offering, how likely the linebacker is to take it, what he ate for dinner, etc?

We all want to know. But there's nothing good that will come of it until papers are signed. 

Nice post Benton.

I still remember a few times when the Bengals put out too much information and it gave me blue ballz. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Benton.

I still remember a few times when the Bengals put out too much information and it gave me blue ballz. Mellow

havent seen the bengals do it but players will often tweet before the FO gives out anyword Whitner comes to mind
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: havent seen the bengals do it but players will often tweet before the FO gives out anyword Whitner comes to mind

Thats the main one that comes to mind.

Shaun Rogers was another...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats the main one that comes to mind.

Shaun Rogers was another...

didnt the nfl block that one on us
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 01:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: Yes there is.. I told you it screws up any leverage either party has. The fans have zero need to know where negotiations stand until theyre done. This FO has done many deals that turned out to be really smart...even though fans were clamoring for something else because they think they know better. Then in the long run, the FO decision turned out to be way better than what the fans wanted. The FO looks at things in the long term, the fans are rooted in instant gratification. Imagine if the Bengals announced every offer and counter offer. Then the knee jerk fans start saying they want the player and the Bengals are being too stubborn. Who do you think that favors? The leverage just switched from the Bengals, to the player. The player's agent now knows the Bengals are under pressure from the fans, and holds the Bengals hostage for a higher amount. The long term result is salary cap problems like many teams face now. Bottom line is, the fans do not need to know anything until a deal is in place.

Leverage.. Im not talking about disclosing numbers. Just a simple tweet or announcement that hey were bringing so and so in for a visit, or were close to signing this person. I see other teams do it and I don't think it has an impact.

In terms of free agency we rarely hear or see anything official from the team until after the player is gone leaving us all to wonder how it went or whether a deal was made or not. Then we hear first from the player that they signed, not the Bengals, but usually the player or their agent. I just think its funny and unnecessary the way they are so guarded.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Apparently the team likes LaFell and Karlos Dansby.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Leverage.. Im not talking about disclosing numbers. Just a simple tweet or announcement that hey were bringing so and so in for a visit, or were close to signing this person. I see other teams do it and I don't think it has an impact.

In terms of free agency we rarely hear or see anything official from the team until after the player is gone leaving us all to wonder how it went or whether a deal was made or not. Then we hear first from the player that they signed, not the Bengals, but usually the player or their agent. I just think its funny and unnecessary the way they are so guarded.

well they did let us know lefell and dansby are in for visits.. They wont talk contract until its done
Reply/Quote
It wasn't much, but yesterday there was a line in a story on the website that said they were working on getting both those contracts done.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 04:35 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: It wasn't much, but yesterday there was a line in a story on the website that said they were working on getting both those contracts done.

Yep, from Hobson. Literally the bottom line.

Quote:-The Bengals’ immediate plan looks pretty clear. Finish off negotiations with veteran wide receiver Brandon LaFell and veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby in the next week or so and head into the draft.

Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 04:44 PM)Shady Wrote: Yep, from Hobson. Literally the bottom line.

apparently immediate = 'week or so' at PBS.  'week or so' is somewhere in the future.  not now.... 

whatever.
Reply/Quote
"Finish negotiations" doesn't necessarily mean a contract is on it's way. It may mean they'll either sign them or move on to the draft. That's how I read it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Leverage.. Im not talking about disclosing numbers. Just a simple tweet or announcement that hey were bringing so and so in for a visit, or were close to signing this person. I see other teams do it and I don't think it has an impact.

That's what we already do.

They can't say if they're close to signing as you're never close. It's like being pregnant. You are or you aren't, there's no "she's close to getting pregnant" or "we're close to conceiving a kid."

So that leaves us with who is visiting or taking physicals... which they already put out.

Not referring to you or this case in particular, but I think a lot of people get frustrated because there's not the Pats or Steelers constant updates. That's got nothing to do with the teams, just the media exposure. You've got guys who camp out waiting to hear a nugget for certain teams because even some meaningless update gets response because of how many fans they have. It's not the same for teams like the Bengals, our fanbase is smaller.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 05:49 PM)Benton Wrote: That's what we already do.

They can't say if they're close to signing as you're never close. It's like being pregnant. You are or you aren't, there's no "she's close to getting pregnant" or "we're close to conceiving a kid."

So that leaves us with who is visiting or taking physicals... which they already put out.

Not referring to you or this case in particular, but I think a lot of people get frustrated because there's not the Pats or Steelers constant updates. That's got nothing to do with the teams, just the media exposure. You've got guys who camp out waiting to hear a nugget for certain teams because even some meaningless update gets response because of how many fans they have. It's not the same for teams like the Bengals, our fanbase is smaller.

Even smaller fanbases, nearly 6 days without an update is awfully strange.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 05:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: "Finish negotiations" doesn't necessarily mean a contract is on it's way. It may mean they'll either sign them or move on to the draft. That's how I read it.

Maybe, but more than me just being optimistic, neither of them has been reported to have visited other teams since they visited us. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 05:54 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm okay with this signing.

Which signing?  Did I miss the thread where the Bengals signed someone?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 10:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: All im saying is that the Bengals have always operated in this manner but for why? Whats the point? It gives them no competitive advantage. I think as fans who invest a lot of time and money into this franchise we deserve a little transparency. Being so tight lipped serves no purpose what so ever.

Tight lipped serves whatever purpose the Bengals think.. I have been on negotiations  in a union/collective bargaining sense and no way would I want those negotiations leaked in  any manner to the the membership etc.. 

I am a season ticket holder and I would prefer the Bengals make decisions for what is best for the organization and not arm chair Qb fans.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 09:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tight lipped serves whatever purpose the Bengals think.. I have been on negotiations  in a union/collective bargaining sense and no way would I want those negotiations leaked in  any manner to the the membership etc.. 

I am a season ticket holder and I would prefer the Bengals make decisions for what is best for the organization and not arm chair Qb fans.

Lol ok Gordon Gecko..
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 10:18 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lol ok Gordon Gecko..

sorry if i actually make sense..maybe you need to try it sometime..  Wink
Reply/Quote