Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
Honestly, as much as I now admire the Bengals front office, they offered MJ too much.

Detroit and Atlanta way over paid for MJ and Sanu and combined with Andre signing with Vikings it will get us  two good comp picks.

I bet LaFell will be a great addition and more than cover for MJ

Add a 1st or 2nd round WR and we will be in good shape.

I also have high hopes for Alford.

I really like the kid from Oklahoma. Would love to get a great defensive player in first round and the Oklahoma WR in second.

Draft the best player on the board in round 1 and get a WR in round 2 or 3 if not picked in round 1.

I would love to sign Dansby. That guy is a difference maker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 02:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, but LaFell only played 1.5 seasons in NE. Carolina generally threw less than us, so it evens out.

Also, we're talking one player vs two. 

Either way, my point isn't really to say that LaFell > MLJ and Sanu combined. It's more to say that LaFell is better than some think and maybe MLJ and Sanu weren't quite as good/productive as some think.

If the 6-6.5 range is accurate, that would also mean he will cost about as much as Sanu alone..... But homers gonna home, right?  Cool
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 02:34 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Honestly, as much as I now admire the Bengals front office, they offered MJ too much.

Detroit and Atlanta way over paid for MJ and Sanu and combined with Andre signing with Vikings it will get us  two good comp picks.

I bet LaFell will be a great addition and more than cover for MJ

Add a 1st or 2nd round WR and we will be in good shape.

I also have high hopes for Alford.

I really like the kid from Oklahoma. Would love to get a great defensive player in first round and the Oklahoma WR in second.

Draft the best player on the board in round 1 and get a WR in round 2 or 3 if not picked in round 1.

I would love to sign Dansby. That guy is a difference maker.

The more and more I read, Sterling Shepard might not be there at the Bengals pick in the second. His draft stock continues to climb.
PFF has Shepard rated as the 24th best prospect.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-s-sterling-shepard-rapidly-rising-up-nfl-draft-boards/article_ef16f8f2-6ec4-5e50-b9e8-07127c6cfe97.html
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/3/22/11278098/bengals-mock-draft-roundup-sterling-shepard-new-favorite-for
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/21/nfl-draft-prospects-top-50-sterling-shepard
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It was a weak FA wideout market so there wasn't many options "better" than Lafell, many that were worse. It might not stop us from having to take a wideout early, but maybe the back to back wideout pick isn't as certain with the signing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Lafell - someone help me out as I know nothing about him.

Tall or avg..lanky or more athletic looking to go over the middle and be ok....is he speedy? Is he an outside threat w wheels? Good hands?

Thanks
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 03:24 PM)Whacked Wrote: Lafell - someone help me out as I know nothing about him.

Tall or avg..lanky or more athletic looking to go over the middle and be ok....is he speedy? Is he an outside threat w wheels? Good hands?

Thanks

Last year was a really bad year for him. Didn't really do much, but at the same time he was injured.

He dropped 6 passes, which was as many as Tyler Eifert.

However, LaFell only caught 50% of the passes thrown his way. Eifert caught 70.3%

Then, in 2014, LaFell only dropped 2 passes with 74 receptions and 114 targets. He caught 62.2% of passes thrown his way and had a drop rate of 1.7%

LaFell had a bad season last year, but he is still talented. As for speed? Same 40 time as Sanu. In the 4.5's
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 03:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Last year was a really bad year for him. Didn't really do much, but at the same time he was injured.

However, LaFell only caught 50% of the passes thrown his way. Eifert caught 70.3%

Then, in 2014, LaFell only dropped 2 passes with 74 receptions and 114 targets. He caught 62.2% of passes thrown his way and had a drop rate of 1.7%

LaFell had a bad season last year, but he is still talented. As for speed? Same 40 time as Sanu. In the 4.5's

Sanu was 4.67. Lafell was 4.55.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Lafell - someone help me out as I know nothing about him.

Off the top of my head as I looked all this up over the last week

6-3 220 not lanky very big body. nE would occasionally line him up in the backfield and even block. He isn't a burner but can still stretch the field and box oppppnents much like a Brandon Marshall (of course not on the same talent level) but similar attributes. He ran a 4.5 at the combine so he is not slow for his size and he did play the slot before.

I think he could pick of 50-55% of the combine production of sanu and jones combined 600-700 yards and 50-60 catches. We need someone else to step up (probably a rookie) and get another 40% and then eifert and green to be who we know they can be.

Lafell would be a good signing at this point in the offseason. Wallace was my first choice, but Lafell brings another big body in the redzone
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 02:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, but LaFell only played 1.5 seasons in NE. Carolina generally threw less than us, so it evens out.

Also, we're talking one player vs two. 

Either way, my point isn't really to say that LaFell > MLJ and Sanu combined. It's more to say that LaFell is better than some think and maybe MLJ and Sanu weren't quite as good/productive as some think.

Touche.
Reply/Quote
Look at Brandon lafells official Twitter account from earlier today...

Jody Breeze
Jody Breeze – Verified account ‏@Blafell1

Close only counts in a game of horseshoes

9:36 AM - 23 Mar 2016
10 RETWEETS14 LIKES
Reply/Quote
Bring the playbook with you Brandon.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 03:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Last year was a really bad year for him. Didn't really do much, but at the same time he was injured.

the whole Targeted state can be misleading were the other 50% he didnt catch catchable?
Reply/Quote
Good signing. I never like the idea of trusting the draft to replenish a position that's been picked clean like our WR core has. I'd even sign another vet, then draft a WR high and draft another in later rounds
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:35 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The best part of signing LaFell is that Mike gets to keep his precious Compensatory Picks.

[Image: 11b1wt.jpg]

with the way the bengals have been drafting they are very valuable.
Reply/Quote
Let's keep in mind he has not been signed yet.

I hope he does soon
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 05:13 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Look at Brandon lafells official Twitter account from earlier today...

Jody Breeze

10 RETWEETS14 LIKES

Still says he is a Patriot. Everybody else I follow have changed their profile. Not important but weird.
Reply/Quote
It would be a very good signing, and I hope we complete it quickly. Really would firm things up. But I would still go WR early, maybe even still in the first round, if the right guy were there. Certainly, though, I'd take one within the first three rounds. We still need deep speed.
Reply/Quote
will he be able to catch a fully inflated ball? BJE immediately got a case of the dropsies
Reply/Quote

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 05:13 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Look at Brandon lafells official Twitter account from earlier today...

Jody Breeze

10 RETWEETS14 LIKES

Yeah I'm always worried when it gets leaked that a deal is "almost" done. It often means that the player's agent is trying to apply pressure to get their client signed. Either by our team or someone else. Warren Sapp and Donte Whitner were "almost" signed as well.

(03-23-2016, 05:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the whole Targeted state can be misleading were the other 50% he didnt catch catchable?

Exactly. All a "target" means is that the QB was throwing the ball to that player. What if a receiver has a really bad QB? People also should realize that certain players (like TEs or RBs) typically have better target/completion % thanks to the types of routes they run.

What's easier to complete? A five yard screen or fifteen yard out? A shallow drag or a go route? That's why a top 5 WR like AJ Green "only" converts 58.8% of his targets while a mediocre TE could convert 70% of his targets. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote