Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Meeting With Duke QB Daniel Jones
(03-02-2019, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trading up to get a QB with the 3rd pick and then giving up on him while he still has 3 years of his rookie deal left would be some bad management, even for the Jets.

Exactly why I don't think it's likely. Not because Darnold looked like a great player. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly why I don't think it's likely. Not because Darnold looked like a great player. 

The current trend is to get a young offensive HC and a rookie QB and parlay the money saved into free agents.  They seem to be moving in that direction, so maybe we will know a single player on their team next year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 01:58 AM)impactplaya Wrote: could be smoke and mirrors. Cincy shows intrest in Jones and another team wanting Jones thinking he doesnt get past the Bengals at 11.
they offer the Bengals their 1st RD selection plus their 2nd and 3rd to move to 11........

I'm pretty sure it's just smoke and mirrors.

We're making a lot of changes, but I think that would be blowing it up too much.

Giving Andy new coaches, a few new players, and an all-around new environment will allow him to lead the team to a BIG year, imco.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You do realize Darnold had a pretty bad rookie season, right? 

They'll give him another year to get right, but acting like Darnold is some hot shot is the only LOL worthy assertion here. 

Dude completed 57.7% of his passes with a 77.6 rating and went 4-9 as starter, and you're LOL'ing. Mmkay.

doubling down with a 16 i see.  Smart.  Darnold looks pretty good later in the year despite them having almost no weapons.  He looks to have a bright future and was taken with the #3 pick.  No team is giving up on a QB they picked #3 overall pick after 1 season, especially when his rookie season was not bad all things considered. 

Hopefully the Jets have your same mindset.  Ill give them Dalton for Darnold straight up.  I wonder why they are not interested.  I guess ill point them to this thread so they can understand that Dalton is better than Darnold. LOL.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:29 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: doubling down with a 16 i see.  Smart.  Darnold looks pretty good later in the year despite them having almost no weapons.  He looks to have a bright future and was taken with the #3 pick.  No team is giving up on a QB they picked #3 overall pick after 1 season, especially when his rookie season was not bad all things considered. 

Hopefully the Jets have your same mindset.  Ill give them Dalton for Darnold straight up.  I wonder why they are not interested.  I guess ill point them to this thread so they can understand that Dalton is better than Darnold. LOL.  

Going all in on Sam "friggin" Darnold, eh? Smart. If age and salary are the same most unbiased people would take Andy 100 times out of 100. Darnold just had a worse rookie season than Dalton did 8 years ago despite the league being better at passing overall. Seems strange that you're so sold on him. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CincyJungle can only speculate. I'm sure that the team is meeting with tons of players, doesn't mean that they will or won't draft any of them. Meeting with any and all players they find interesting is just simply doing their do-diligence.

I will say this about Jones. David Cutcliffe has done a tremendous job of attracting athletes that can muster the rigorous educational requirements to even attend Duke University. If they are indeed looking at Jones, I can just about guarantee you that he'll be the smartest guy in the room.

So was Fitzpatrick. So what.
Reply/Quote
We brought Lamar in last year. I think we will eventually do work with most the QBs in this class. Andy is the guy this year but a Mahomes type plan where we take someone to sit a year could be in play. I like Jones, come from Duke and QB whisperer David Cutcliff. Has good ball placement and pre snap does well making reads. Arm strength is a bit underwhelming but NFL level. My guess is he will be really impressive on the white board.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 08:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: I like Jones' intangibles a lot. But I don't think he's 1st round material. For those that don't like Dalton's skill set, you're basically looking at Andy 2.0....maybe a little weaker arm.

I agree but I also think he makes better decisions and his skill set is slightly better.  It wouldn't make sense to move on from Dalton with Jones, but now Haskins or Murray would change things at 11.  I still think maybe White or TE at 11 and grabbing QB like Jones in round 2.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I like Jones. I can’t get pumped about taking him in the first round though, unless maybe we can trade back, pick up a 2 or so, and still get him. I REALLY would like to get White with that first pick but he could very well be off the board before we get on the clock.
Reply/Quote
No way do I see us drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds, We have go to go with LB and O-Line
Zac has already stated a few times that he is looking forward to working with Andy so I expect us to maybe take a QB in the 4th or 5th and see how he does over the next 2 years behind Andy
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CincyJungle can only speculate.  I'm sure that the team is meeting with tons of players, doesn't mean that they will or won't draft any of them.  Meeting with any and all players they find interesting is just simply doing their do-diligence.

I will say this about Jones.  David Cutcliffe has done a tremendous job of attracting athletes that can muster the rigorous educational requirements to even attend Duke University.  If they are indeed looking at Jones, I can just about guarantee you that he'll be the smartest guy in the room.

Agreed on all accounts.

And I want to add that while Taylor said the right things about Dalton, new offensive minded coaches like to bring in THEIR young QB.

Taylor saw Lewis not win a playoff game with Dalton. He has to atleast be thinking about the Dalton part of that equation some.
Reply/Quote
It is just a visit, dude is smart, no way we take him at 11 though.

If we take a QB in the first we better have damn sure took care of the Line before hand. Murray or Haskins are the only ones i would take in the first if we did take care of the Line and LB in FA. I actually like Will Grier in the mid rounds if we are going to take a QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is just a visit, dude is smart, no way we take him at 11 though.

If we take a QB in the first we better have damn sure took care of the Line before hand. Murray or Haskins are the only ones i would take in the first if we did take care of the Line and LB in FA. I actually like Will Grier in the mid rounds if we are going to take a QB.

I favor that strategy. O-Line, LB, then take Will Grier or someone like that later.

That said, IF Taylor was ever going to go QB and then make this a rebuilding year...Year 1 is the time to do it. IF he does it in say Year 2, it likely takes that QB 2, 3 years to develop and your looking at Year 4 to compete.

Do it early and build the team around him.

I probably wouldn't go that route, but I could see them taking Haskins because of the OSU association.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I favor that strategy. O-Line, LB, then take Will Grier or someone like that later.

That said, IF Taylor was ever going to go QB and then make this a rebuilding year...Year 1 is the time to do it. IF he does it in say Year 2, it likely takes that QB 2, 3 years to develop and your looking at Year 4 to compete.

Do it early and build the team around him.

I probably wouldn't go that route, but I could see them taking Haskins because of the OSU association.

I getcha, after FA we will have a much better idea. If we go out and get a top Lineman and a top LB i could see us going with a QB early. But if we don't i would think that Taylor really likes Dalton and trusts in him to win in the Playoffs and a Superbowl. Under Marv everyone pretty much played bad in the Playoffs so it could be that coaching has been the problem and not the QB.

I personally like Murray more than Haskins even if Murray is small. I like Murray's arm and accuracy to go along with his speed. He reminds me of a smaller, faster Russell Wilson, i think Murray could be something special if he doesn't get hit too much in the NFL.

Will Grier i think is underrated why Lock and Jones are overrated at this moment.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:50 PM)motoarch Wrote: So was Fitzpatrick.  So what.

So, Taylor by all accounts that I've seen or listened to him, sounds like a very cerebral individual.  I think it only natural for him to want a similar type of personality in a potential QB prospect.

Why the shade toward Fitzpatrick?  He was tearing up the league this past season, until Winston came back.  In fact, when the Winston got benched versus the Bengals, Fitzpatrick damn near lead a full comeback.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rosen would be an ideal acquisition.. already did his rookie year somewhere else. kinda like say.. Ross playing somewhere else 2 seasons with poor results and we just got him for this season. Maybe its time we take chances with someone else's tender pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is just a visit, dude is smart, no way we take him at 11 though.

I really like Grier as well. He is a little under the radar right now with all of the Murray chatter, but I think when all is said and done he will not make it out of the second round.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 08:08 PM)HuDey Wrote: I really like Grier as well. He is a little under the radar right now with all of the Murray chatter, but I think when all is said and done he will not make it out of the second round.

I'd go Grier in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
Grier struggles to throw on the run and throwing left. I’m not a fan, I think he is a guy who is a bad to average starter on his first contract and bounces around as a back up for 5-10 years after. He is Blaine Gabbert to me. A system QB who has enough talent to have some success but overall not a quality starter.
Reply/Quote
It's really hard to get a Top 10 QB. All but 1 or 2 of these guys will be backups or worse. Maybe 1 or 2 really good QB's.

The odds are against you when you pick a QB.

It's like you can pick a QB and have maybe a 20% chance of landing a good starter in the 1st Round. Or you can pick another position and have like a 60% chance.
Reply/Quote