Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Meeting With Duke QB Daniel Jones
(03-02-2019, 02:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You do realize Darnold had a pretty bad rookie season, right? 

They'll give him another year to get right, but acting like Darnold is some hot shot is the only LOL worthy assertion here. 

Dude completed 57.7% of his passes with a 77.6 rating and went 4-9 as starter, and you're LOL'ing. Mmkay.

Don’t die on this hill. The jets would hang up the phone with that offfer
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 11:43 PM)N_B Wrote: Don’t die on this hill.  The jets would hang up the phone with that offfer

I can almost imagine a scenario where the Jets actually traded up to #3 in the draft so they could offer the #3 overall pick to Mike Brown for Andy Dalton.  Mike Brown laughs and says he is waiting for the Browns to call him and offer their #1 overall pick for Dalton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 11:43 PM)N_B Wrote: Don’t die on this hill.  The jets would hang up the phone with that offfer

Never said they definitely wouldn't. Anything is possible though, and Darnold wasn't exactly impressive. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 08:08 PM)HuDey Wrote: I really like Grier as well. He is a little under the radar right now with all of the Murray chatter, but I think when all is said and done he will not make it out of the second round.

Yes, Grier is under the radar right now. This talk of Jones just shows that even more.

Grier is smart too. Think he would be a decent backup. I don't think there is a QB in this draft that will be better than Dalton except maybe Murray who has tons of talent. Reminds me of a smaller, faster Russell Wilson.

(03-02-2019, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd go Grier in the 3rd.

Same.

(03-02-2019, 11:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Grier struggles to throw on the run and throwing left. I’m not a fan, I think he is a guy who is a bad to average starter on his first contract and bounces around as a back up for 5-10 years after. He is Blaine Gabbert to me. A system QB who has enough talent to have some success but overall not a quality starter.

Which is why he should fall to the mid rounds. I like Grier there. Most QB's don't throw well on the run throwing to the left. There aren't many Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes, these guys are very rare. Dalton struggles throwing running to the left, pretty much everyone does.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 06:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, Grier is under the radar right now. This talk of Jones just shows that even more.

Grier is smart too. Think he would be a decent backup. I don't think there is a QB in this draft that will be better than Dalton except maybe Murray who has tons of talent. Reminds me of a smaller, faster Russell Wilson.

Same.

Which is why he should fall to the mid rounds. I like Grier there. Most QB's don't throw well on the run throwing to the left. There aren't many Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes, these guys are very rare. Dalton struggles throwing running to the left, pretty much everyone does.

No Dalton is actually decent on the run and can throw left. I’m not saying running throwing to the left I’m saying both things separate. Dalton was a much better thrower coming out than grier. I don’t think people want to eventually replace Dalton with a guy who’s ceiling is Dalton. I’m anti drafting any mid round QB at this point, either go for a top one or wait until your ready to do so.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I'm all in for replacing Dalton in a year. Dalton would be the QB for 2019 and develop a QB for 2020 and beyond. Jones has potential and might be worthy of a 11 pick. However, I also like other QB's on the board. For example, the guy from Missouri. Maybe the Bengals can fix the Oline first. That makes the most sense.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 07:35 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Personally, I'm all in for replacing Dalton in a year. Dalton would be the QB for 2019 and develop a QB for 2020 and beyond. Jones has potential and might be worthy of a 11 pick. However, I also like other QB's on the board. For example, the guy from Missouri. Maybe the Bengals can fix the Oline first. That makes the most sense.

IF they go that route, we're basically rebuilding this year I would assume unless they go wild in free agency.
Reply/Quote
This year's QB crop is worst in ten years. Wait until 2020 and 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 10:46 PM)Flirtdoc Wrote: This year's QB crop is worst in ten years. Wait until 2020 and 2021

2013 disagrees. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
One thing we all have learned about football , you can’t win the Big One without a good quarterback. In the Bengals case the big one can also mean a playoff game. We need a quarterback. It all starts there. Every other position can be revolving doors.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  We need a quarterback.  It all starts there.  Every other position can be revolving doors.

Total BS.

Aaron Rodgers has a losing record over the past two seasons while Blake Bortles won 2 playoff games.

QB is not our problem, and anyone who thinks no other position matters is clueless about the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: One thing we all have learned about football , you can’t win the Big One without a good quarterback. In the Bengals case the big one can also mean a playoff game. We need a quarterback. It all starts there. Every other position can be revolving doors.

I like your enthusiasm but this line of thinking is how Akili Smith was drafted.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 11:59 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like your enthusiasm but this line of thinking is how Akili Smith was drafted.

Yeah...so while I'm not totally against drafting a QB...

I see the issues on the offensive line is being the downfall of any we draft. There aren't many good Tackles in free agency. We almost have to fix that position with our pick IF we decide to fix it.

LB we can fix in free agency. Guard we can.

TE? Maybe. But, probably we'll draft one.
Reply/Quote
I see no reason for us to draft a QB at 11, unless the Bengals have been blowing smoke up everyone's arse and really are planning on moving Dalton and starting over.

The team has glaring holes at RG, RT, LB, LB, LB, TE and TE, plus no WR past Green and Boyd were able to catch more than 21 passes.

Our backup QB spot is also a hole.

Given that the team generally only partially participates in free agency it's hard to imagine that the front office would think that a QB at 11 is going to bring an improved team in 2019.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 12:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...so while I'm not totally against drafting a QB...

I see the issues on the offensive line is being the downfall of any we draft. There aren't many good Tackles in free agency. We almost have to fix that position with our pick IF we decide to fix it.

LB we can fix in free agency. Guard we can.

TE? Maybe. But, probably we'll draft one.

Maybe it’s just me but I would spend the early rounds of the draft poaching the SEC for tackles and guards depending on success in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 01:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm good with keeping Dalton OR drafting a QB, but I wouldn't read too deeply into a visit. Yet.

Fwiw, the Jets are offering up #3. If we're interested, maybe we could include #11, Dalton and a few other picks.

If we go QB, we'd better get that line fixed somehow.

The Jets aren’t going to bag Darnold after one year for a more expensive, ten year older, lower upside QB. And Daniel Jones’s advanced stats raise a bunch of red flags. Even the QB whisperer (Cutcliffe) couldn’t get his comp pct up to a decent level, and his YPA isn’t great either. He’s a volatile pick. Far better to stand pat and draft an elite LB, DT, or OT.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:10 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Jets aren’t going to bag Darnold after one year for a more expensive, ten year older, lower upside QB.  And Daniel Jones’s advanced stats raise a bunch of red flags.  Even the QB whisperer ( it lifts) couldn’t get his comp pct up to a decent level, and his YPA isn’t great either.  He’s a volatile pick.  Far better to stand pat and draft an elite LB, DT, or OT.

Yep. QB's are low percentage success rates, even high.

Other positions are much higher percentage success rates.

We need to draft as close to a sure thing as we can.

White may be the surest thing. But, I feel we can get LB's in free agency too.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 07:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: No Dalton is actually decent on the run and can throw left. I’m not saying running throwing to the left I’m saying both things separate. Dalton was a much better thrower coming out than grier. I don’t think people want to eventually replace Dalton with a guy who’s ceiling is Dalton. I’m anti drafting any mid round QB at this point, either go for a top one or wait until your ready to do so.

I get what you are saying and it is not like Dalton is bad when throwing left. It is just a hard thing to do and not many QB's are great at it. The only QB i find special in this draft is Murray and he is small and it doesn't matter what QB we get if the line is still crap. Have to take care of the O-line, after FA we will have a better idea.

Just saying i don't want to go QB early unless the Line is taken care of.

Also i don't find too much of a difference in the QB's in this draft after Murray...

Lock and Grier i find a bit similar.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get what you are saying and it is not like Dalton is bad when throwing left. It is just a hard thing to do and not many QB's are great at it. The only QB i find special in this draft is Murray and he is small and it doesn't matter what QB we get if the line is still crap. Have to take care of the O-line, after FA we will have a better idea.

Just saying i don't want to go QB early unless the Line is taken care of.

Also i don't find too much of a difference in the QB's in this draft after Murray...

Lock and Grier i find a bit similar.

IF we do select a QB in the 1st, how do we get a RT? In the 2nd I suppose?

But then we have to go sign free agents then at multiple positions.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: One thing we all have learned about football , you can’t win the Big One without a good quarterback. In the Bengals case the big one can also mean a playoff game. We need a quarterback. It all starts there. Every other position can be revolving doors.

I agree with you a lot of the time but it all starts in the trenches...

Brady wouldn't be good with a terrible O-line, no QB would.

They have to have a chance to pass the ball and a running game is a QB's best friend besides said Offensive Line.
Reply/Quote