Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Meeting With Duke QB Daniel Jones
(03-04-2019, 04:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we do select a QB in the 1st, how do we get a RT? In the 2nd I suppose?

But then we have to go sign free agents then at multiple positions.

Yes, a lot of holes to fill. If we go all out in FA i could see a QB like Murray early, if not we would just have to rely on our new coaches coaching up the Line and Linebackers. That is a lot of ifs there and that is a major load the FO would be putting on our new coaches. They need some talent to work with.

Hart, Redmond, Nickerson just aren't cutting it as starters and that is an understatement.
Reply/Quote
If Murray is there, I bet the war-room would have a quiet moment. I do not like what I am hearing about Murray's personality and primadonna attitude but it would cause pause.

I think White at 11 if he is there.

Round 2, I know the Bengals need TE/OT but if Jones is there, I bet the Bengals take him. He is rated as 1-2 on some sites in terms of intangibles, decision making, accuracy.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 04:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Murray is there, I bet the war-room would have a quiet moment. I do not like what I am hearing about Murray's personality and primadonna attitude but it would cause pause.

I think White at 11 if he is there.

Round 2, I know the Bengals need TE/OT but if Jones is there, I bet the Bengals take him. He is rated as 1-2 on some sites in terms of intangibles, decision making, accuracy.

Jones’ completion pct. was bad, as was his YPA. Looks like a fool’s gold type of prospect.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/prospect-profile/2019-nfl-draft-qb-stats-report
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 06:03 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Jones’ completion pct. was bad, as was his YPA.  Looks like a fool’s gold type of prospect.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/prospect-profile/2019-nfl-draft-qb-stats-report

Doesn't look good but Haskins and Murray had better surrounding players.  He was also coming off a collar bone injury.  Maybe he should stay in school another year.   

I do not generally like some of these sites but here are some thoughts:
https://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft-blog/daniel-jones-qb-duke/
http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1020012&draftyear=2019&genpos=QB
 http://walterfootball.com/draft2019QB.php

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 11:59 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like your enthusiasm but this line of thinking is how Akili Smith was drafted.

True. Blake was "good enough", but Mike Brown thought a great QB would fix the whole roster.

(03-04-2019, 01:10 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Jets aren’t going to bag Darnold after one year for a more expensive, ten year older, lower upside QB.  And Daniel Jones’s advanced stats raise a bunch of red flags.  Even the QB whisperer (Cutcliffe) couldn’t get his comp pct up to a decent level, and his YPA isn’t great either.  He’s a volatile pick.  Far better to stand pat and draft an elite LB, DT, or OT.

Look, when I threw that idea out, it was just a fun idea that crossed my mind. People took the post as seriously as a heart attack. The truth is, you don't know what the Jets think any more than I do. Also, it's not like I said this would be a straight up swap of Dalton for Darnold. Or Dalton for their 3rd overall. I said Dalton, our 11th + other picks for their 3rd overall pick. 

IF they're not sold on Darnold, this isn't NEARLY as far fetched as some of you are acting. I guess some of you didn't hear the news that the Cardinals are giving up on Rosen after 1 year. Darnold really was THAT much better than Rosen. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I kind of like Allen with the Bills. His stats were bad, but I thought he showed some raw potential. Buffalo seems to be a team stuck in quicksand though.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 07:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True. Blake was "good enough", but Mike Brown thought a great QB would fix the whole roster.

If all a team needed was a "bell cow quarterback" Archie Manning would have won more Super Bowl titles than his two kids combined.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If all a team needed was a "bell cow quarterback" Archie Manning would have won more Super Bowl titles than his two kids combined.

...and the Packers wouldn't be struggling with Aaron Rodgers. We could do this all day though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and the Packers wouldn't be struggling with Aaron Rodgers. We could do this all day though.

That's true -- but many still won't understand.  

I get it -- to some offensive line play can look boring but to me it's beautiful when performed correctly. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's true -- but many still won't understand.  

I get it -- to some offensive line play can look boring but to me it's beautiful when performed correctly. 

No doubt. I love when the big uglies are dominating. Everything about the offense just looks effortless when you have great line play.

Just look at the 90's Cowboys. Or the great lines the Patriots have had through the years.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: One thing we all have learned about football , you can’t win the Big One without a good quarterback.  In the Bengals case the big one can also mean a playoff game.   We need a quarterback.  It all starts there.  Every other position can be revolving doors.

These guys have all won the Big one. And with the exception of Peyton Manning (That last Super Bowl he was just a pure shell of himself), none of these guys had careers that you could argue are as good as or at least much better than Andy Dalton's.

[Image: 27f1fb4135ef5a6bcb38c3a65fc61548.jpg]

[Image: eric-moore-shane-conlan-jeff-wright-jeff...wl-xxv.jpg]

[Image: san-francisco-california-usa-12th-jan-19...P97H8R.jpg]

[Image: BS-sp-super-bowl-2-365x540.jpg]

[Image: AR-301229599.jpg]

[Image: 49014-painful-reality-for-joe-flacco-and-ravens.jpg]

[Image: 23808h_lg.jpeg]

[Image: Nick-Foles-914487.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No doubt. I love when the big uglies are dominating. Everything about the offense just looks effortless when you have great line play.

Just look at the 90's Cowboys. Or the great lines the Patriots have had through the years.

The reason the Steelers own us is they can generally run the ball on us and we can't run on them. It's as simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The reason the Steelers own us is they can generally run the ball on us and we can't run on them. It's as simple as that.

Yep...and that was a constant theme of our playoff games losses as well.

We constantly got run over for 150+ yards and never established the run ourselves. Pass blocking went to shit as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The reason the Steelers own us is they can generally run the ball on us and we can't run on them. It's as simple as that.

That's a huge part of it, for sure, the physical explantion.  But the mental aspect is too big to overlook too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:59 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: These guys have all won the Big one. And with the exception of Peyton Manning (That last Super Bowl he was just a pure shell of himself), none of these guys had careers that you could argue are as good as or at least much better than Andy Dalton's.

Now I will counter point myself, most of those QB's did have very very good defenses though.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 08:47 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Now I will counter point myself, most of those QB's did have very very good defenses though.

It is rather frustrating we've had a better QB than Dilfer for the past 15 years or so and have nary a playoff win to show for it.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:59 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: These guys have all won the Big one. And with the exception of Peyton Manning (That last Super Bowl he was just a pure shell of himself), none of these guys had careers that you could argue are as good as or at least much better than Andy Dalton's.

[Image: 27f1fb4135ef5a6bcb38c3a65fc61548.jpg]

[Image: eric-moore-shane-conlan-jeff-wright-jeff...wl-xxv.jpg]

[Image: san-francisco-california-usa-12th-jan-19...P97H8R.jpg]

[Image: BS-sp-super-bowl-2-365x540.jpg]

[Image: AR-301229599.jpg]

[Image: 49014-painful-reality-for-joe-flacco-and-ravens.jpg]

[Image: 23808h_lg.jpeg]

[Image: Nick-Foles-914487.jpg]

Awesome. All those mediocre quarterbacks were able to step up in the playoffs, unlike ours who’s crumbles like a stale cookie.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:51 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Awesome.  All those mediocre quarterbacks were able to step up in the playoffs, unlike ours who’s crumbles like a stale cookie.

Yup.  For all the laughs we throw at Dilfer, the guy has better playoff stats than Dalton and Palmer had in stripes.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I would rather them draft Tyree Jackson later.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 11:14 AM)Okeana Wrote: Personally, I would rather them draft Tyree Jackson later.

Me too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote