Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals New Defense Coordinator
(01-11-2019, 12:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd love to see Venables....but that team has VERY little turnover in its coaching ranks.  Dabo has created a family atmosphere that is hard to break apart.  They talked about it in the National Championship run....Dabo has had like 3 coaches leave during this run, and Saban had double digit staff turnover.

Just give it a little time.  For quite some time, Alabama was the model of success with Nick Saban and his proteges.  Now, it appears that torch might be passing to Clemson, and Dabo's staff will start getting plundered.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Has Illinois fired Lovie Smith yet?  They have sucked every year he has been there.

He is not nearly as old as I thought.  Only 60.

Not a bad choice, but he is still the HC in Champaign.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just give it a little time.  For quite some time, Alabama was the model of success with Nick Saban and his proteges.  Now, it appears that torch might be passing to Clemson, and Dabo's staff will start getting plundered.

That is certainly true....but I've heard there have been attempts to lure some away, and so far they've stayed put.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Singletary is also still just 60.

If not DC then maybe LB coach.  He is coaching in the Arena League now and would probably take anything to get back in the NFL.

If Singletary came in as LB coach, that would get some people excited for sure
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Singletary came in as LB coach, that would get some people excited for sure

Pfffft. What does Mike Singletary know about linebacking in the NFL? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not a bad choice, but he is still the HC in Champaign.

It is not his alma mater.  He is not making them any better.  He is going to get canned.  If I was him I would jump at the chance to get back in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: That is certainly true....but I've heard there have been attempts to lure some away, and so far they've stayed put.  

Who can blame them? Stay in ACC where you're a shoe in for ACC title game. That team is stacked for years to come. Only way I'd leave that staff is for a PAC 12 team that is ready to compete. Maybe a BIG team like *Ichigan, depending on how Day works out. But that's a nice gig in Clemson.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Marquand Manuel Former Defensive coordinator from Atlanta.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not his alma mater.  He is not making them any better.  He is going to get canned.  If I was him I would jump at the chance to get back in the NFL.

That would be a significant drop in pay.  I can't find the exact figures, but he just signed a 6 year, 21M extension at UI.  Average defensive coordinator salary in the NFL is listed as around 850K.

Unless he was led to believe that accepting a DC position would directly and quickly lead him back to a HC position in the NFL, I would think him smarter to stay put and comfortable.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 10:38 AM)corpjet Wrote: Nope I don't want anyone who was part of the cover up at Ped State, he can rot in hell with the rest of them

Yep... And I heard Wallace Gilberry speak poorly of him when he was here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:47 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Marquand Manuel Former Defensive coordinator from Atlanta.

Did Manuel get fired?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The more I read the more I like Ed Donatell. But he may become the Bears Coordinator.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Singletary came in as LB coach, that would get some people excited for sure

I would be shocked.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be a significant drop in pay.  I can't find the exact figures, but he just signed a 6 year, 21M extension at UI.  Average defensive coordinator salary in the NFL is listed as around 850K.

Unless he was led to believe that accepting a DC position would directly and quickly lead him back to a HC position in the NFL, I would think him smarter to stay put and comfortable.

I though coordinators in the NFL made a lot more than that.

Can't blame him for staying at Illinois under those circumstances.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Did Manuel get fired?

Yes.  Their defense was horrible this year.  And if it was just due to injuries I doubt they would have canned the DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be a significant drop in pay.  I can't find the exact figures, but he just signed a 6 year, 21M extension at UI.  Average defensive coordinator salary in the NFL is listed as around 850K.

Are you pretty sure about the $850k avg? that seems low. I was thinking at least 1.5 minimum. However, I have zero, Nill, naughta, knowledge on this. Just don’t seem right.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Did Manuel get fired?

Atlanta fired both coordinators
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are you pretty sure about the $850k avg? that seems low. I was thinking at least 1.5 minimum. However, I have zero, Nill, naughta, knowledge on this. Just don’t seem right.

I just looked it up for that post, using 2018 averages.  It said average was around 150K, in 2000, and talked about how coordinator salaries are creeping up on the 1M mark.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just looked it up for that post, using 2018 averages.  It said average was around 150K, in 2000, and talked about how coordinator salaries are creeping up on the 1M mark.

Sounds legit.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are you pretty sure about the $850k avg? that seems low. I was thinking at least 1.5 minimum. However, I have zero, Nill, naughta, knowledge on this. Just don’t seem right.

Same here.

The UT Vols just signed a new OC, Jim Chaney, and he got a 3 year $5 million contract.

I guess colleges can pay their coaches more because they don't pay the players.
Reply/Quote