Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Next HC: Bill Cowher?
Forget, for now, whether or not he'd want to get out of broadcasting and back into coaching (I don't know why, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who would love to coach again), but I think Cowher would be the perfect coach to follow Lewis.

He's got a fiery demeanor (for which most of us have been clamoring for awhile).
He's willing to call out players for mistakes before they've even left the field.
He coaches to win in every game (none of this, we've got a lead
He's got a proven track record of regular season wins, playoff wins, Super Bowl win.

I believe he'd be both able to work with Brown while also being able to, well, to bully Brown into getting the players he wants.

Agree? Disagree? Who would you think would be the best choice to follow Lewis (not the most realistic, the best) as HC?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
God, I hope not.

He is the old Marv; lots of playoff appearances, lots of wasted potential, lots of misuse on players and letting players get away with BS (Levon Kirkland gaining a crapton of weight, Ben with his antics, etc.), so hell no.

His only difference is that he won some playoff games. Further to that, in winning said playoff games, he was the recipient of some of the biggest and most-fortunate calls/decisions.

If Andy's throw is on target in 2013, Hill doesn't fumble in '16 and Carsone doesn't get his leg nearly amputated in '06, we wouldn't be talking about luck and fortunate calls/decisions.

So yes, no to Cowher. No, no, no.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: God, I hope not.

He is the old Marv; lots of playoff appearances, lots of wasted potential, lots of misuse on players and letting players get away with BS (Levon Kirkland gaining a crapton of weight, Ben with his antics, etc.), so hell no.

His only difference is that he won some playoff games. Further to that, in winning said playoff games, he was the recipient of some of the biggest and most-fortunate calls/decisions.

If Andy's throw is on target in 2013, Hill doesn't fumble in '16 and Carsone doesn't get his leg nearly amputated in '06, we wouldn't be talking about luck and fortunate calls/decisions.

So yes, no to Cowher. No, no, no.

Meh, what do you know? You like baseball. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I'm struggling with who should follow Lewis, because I want it to be from the outside (unless it's Simmons).

I really wanted Vance Joseph, and I feel like we have lost our best opportunities (Jay Gruden and Zimmer).

Who would be a great, REALISTIC choice outside of the organization?
Reply/Quote
NO!

NO MORE STEELER FANS AS COACHES!

NO TODD HALEY,
NO BILL COWHER,
NO MORE MARVIN LEWIS!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Meh, what do you know? You like baseball. Mellow

[Image: Burn-Meme-3.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:51 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm struggling with who should follow Lewis, because I want it to be from the outside (unless it's Simmons).

I really wanted Vance Joseph, and I feel like we have lost our best opportunities (Jay Gruden and Zimmer).

Who would be a great, REALISTIC choice outside of the organization?

I think we're all agreed that it HAS to be from the outside. The question is who? Are there any proven, established coaches we could possibly get?

If not (which is what I suspect is the answer to my previous question), what up-and-coming coordinators look to have what it takes to be the HC we need?
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Meh, what do you know? You like baseball. Mellow

Gah! I can't see pics here at work! :@

I'll respond in kind once I see your other response at home Wink
Reply/Quote
cowher would get bungalized by elmer fudd before the very first practice!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:53 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: [Image: Burn-Meme-3.jpg]

Coming from the fan of the most boring sport on the planet (puck).

Tongue
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think we're all agreed that it HAS to be from the outside. The question is who? Are there any proven, established coaches we could possibly get?

If not (which is what I suspect is the answer to my previous question), what up-and-coming coordinators look to have what it takes to be the HC we need?

fudd will NEVER let a coach be areal coach! NEVER!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Gah! I can't see pics here at work! :@

I'll respond in kind once I see your other response at home Wink

But ... that post was ... nothing but words.  Nervous

Mellow
(10-24-2017, 03:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Coming from the fan of the most boring sport on the planet (puck).

Tongue

Hey, I thought you couldn't see pics! :angry:
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Coming from the fan of the most boring sport on the planet (puck).

Tongue

Tsk. Tsk. I'm calling Ottawa.  There must be an office of Un-Canadian Activity I can report you to.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Tsk. Tsk. I'm calling Ottawa.  There must be an office of Un-Canadian Activity I can report you to.

Wait. Truck's Canadian?  Shocked

I feel dirty.  Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Forget, for now, whether or not he'd want to get out of broadcasting and back into coaching (I don't know why, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who would love to coach again), but I think Cowher would be the perfect coach to follow Lewis.

He's got a fiery demeanor (for which most of us have been clamoring for awhile).
He's willing to call out players for mistakes before they've even left the field.
He coaches to win in every game (none of this, we've got a lead
He's got a proven track record of regular season wins, playoff wins, Super Bowl win.

I believe he'd be both able to work with Brown while also being able to, well, to bully Brown into getting the players he wants.

Agree? Disagree? Who would you think would be the best choice to follow Lewis (not the most realistic, the best) as HC?

The best guy,  if he could be convinced to pull an Urban Meyer, would be Gary Kubiak.  Good offensive mind, knows the division, won a SB without stellar QB play, and he has FO experience.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:06 PM)Whatever Wrote: The best guy,  if he could be convinced to pull an Urban Meyer, would be Gary Kubiak.  Good offensive mind, knows the division, won a SB without stellar QB play, and he has FO experience.

I'd be fine with that move.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure there are a lot of Hall of Fame coaches lined up to work for Mike Brown.

Free agency and having scouts is overrated!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm sure there are a lot of Hall of Fame coaches lined up to work for Mike Brown.

Laugh all you want, but there will be a ton of guys lined up to work for Mike Brown for one simple reason:

Job security.

When he hires someone, he keeps them until they absolutely suck up the joint.  A lot can be said for that.  And don't act like this team hasn't had its share of talent.  The 2005 team and the  playoff run show that you can win here, you just need the right guy to get them over the hump.

I'm torn as to who I think it will be, but I also think that the coordinators will be the biggest hires.  Hopefully we can keep Guenther and bring in a fresh mind to work with the offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm sure there are a lot of Hall of Fame coaches lined up to work for Mike Brown.

To be fair, we did use FA in the MB era pre Lewis and until the mid point of Lewis' term.  We were never the Redskins, but we signed our share of B tier FA's like Barry Foster, Neil O'Donnell, Richmond Webb, Jon Kitna, Gus Frerrotte, Garrison Hearst, Sam Adams, Tory James, Ashley Ambrose, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Bobbie Williams, Reggie Kelly, Antonio Bryant, Laverneous Cole's, etc.
Reply/Quote
James Franklin will be a hot name this off season
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote