Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Next HC: Bill Cowher?
(10-25-2017, 11:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't want anyone that eats shit.  Mellow

With the amount of shit you gotta eat as HC here, you NEED a guy that can at least make it taste somewhat palatable. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 09:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals will hire a coach who comes in and works under their management structure. They're going to have to want to scout. They're going to have to be content with not spending heavily in free agency. They're going to have to be ok with letting guys leave and getting Comp Picks.

In 2003 Couglin didn't come here because they didn't want to bring in a GM and hire more scouts. He didn't think he could win here.

re: Your 2005 team shows you can win in the playoffs - WOW! We can win in the playoffs! Some 23+ different teams have appeared in a Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game. Most teams have 5+ wins over that span.

It's not some big achievement.

This is the reason why I'm leaning more and more towards a college HC coming in here.  They will have a pulse on the nation's college prospects for at least a few years, having recruited, watched film on, played against, and had on their own team the players we would be looking to draft.

The more I think about it, the more I like Bfine's pick.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 11:41 AM)PhilHos Wrote: See, I don't get this. Brown has given Merv about as complete control over the roster as any coach could ask for. Yeah, Lewis may not have the authority to go sign free agents, but I'm sure if there was a free agent he wanted, Brown would try to get him (without paying too much of course). I don't think it's the control that's the issue that prevents veteran coaches, I think it's the things The Pistons keeps bringing up (i.e. scouting, etc.)

Maybe 'control' isn't the most accurate term.  But how much input do you think Lewis had when MB decimated the OL. I can't believe he was totally on board with all that. Head coaches are supposed to work very closely with the GM (or in this case MB)  in doing whats best for the team personnel-wise while still making the numbers work. It's a constant juggle. That doesn't seem to happen here.

Who knows how many times Lewis has asked MB for better facilities or a larger scouting department? Could be 100's, but nothing changes.

I believe the puzzling mystery of why Lewis has lasted so long here is because MB knows hes the path of least resistance.
He'll be hard pressed to find another coach to accept the job without having to make at least some assurances of lifting those limitations.
Reply/Quote
Can't see Cowher coming to the rival of the organization he's known for. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I think he was a decent coach. Just can't see it.

That said, I used to keep up on position coaches and coordinators in hopes that one Christmas morning I'd find a shiny new head coach under our black and orange tree. But after we lost Zimmer, I decided MB was just ******** in our respective stockings and I really stopped looking at what other coaches were doing. Sometimes I'll watch a game and think "man, that's some good play calling" or I'll look at a guy I thought would be a wasted pick turn into a standout, and I see who is coaching him. But I'm not looking at their demeanor or history like I used to.

Kyle Shanahan was really the last guy I thought would make a good HC, but it's not getting off to a good start for him. Which may not all be his fault. It's like the Browns. When you work for a crap organization with unrealistic expectations, it's hard to build a successful team in two seasons.
Reply/Quote
Who was the last college coach to have nfl success?

I doubt the pats assistants would come here.

I would prefer an offensive coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 12:28 PM)BMK Wrote: Maybe 'control' isn't the most accurate term.  But how much input do you think Lewis had when MB decimated the OL. I can't believe he was totally on board with all that. Head coaches are supposed to work very closely with the GM (or in this case MB)  in doing whats best for the team personnel-wise while still making the numbers work. It's a constant juggle. That doesn't seem to happen here.

Who knows how many times Lewis has asked MB for better facilities or a larger scouting department?  Could be 100's, but nothing changes.

I believe the puzzling mystery of why Lewis has lasted so long here is because MB knows hes the path of least resistance.
He'll be hard pressed to find another coach to accept the job without having to make at least some assurances of lifting those limitations.

I can't really disagree with you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Cowher is a pipe dream. Those guys never leave those cush media jobs. Sure, the urge to coach may hit him, then he'll remember 16+ hour days, constant travel, headaches and being on the other end of the tough questions. Not to mention, it might be a pay cut. Here's some names I like:

Matt LaFleur: Probably my favorite candidate on this list, LaFleur has led the miraculous turnaround of the Rams' offense, which is 1st in scoring. He's only 38 years old and was also the QB coach for RGIII when he won ROY and Matt Ryan when he won MVP. This guy should be on speed dial.

Matt Nagy: A member of Andy Reid's staff since 2008, Nagy earned the OC job this year and has led the #2 scoring offense. Alex Smith is having an absolutely ridiculous year. 15 TDs to 0 INTs. 120.5 rating. Nagy is only 39 and is following in the footsteps of Doug Pederson. Nagy should also be on speed dial.

Scott Linnehan: Great work with Preskott and Elliott, knows how important a great o-line is, so I would think that would be a priority coming in. Previous HC experience with Rams from 2006-2008. That fell apart, but I think he's earned another shot. Note: Jim Haslett was his DC in STL...not that I'd want to promote Haslett into Guenther's job.

Frank Reich: The Eagles are 6-1 right now in large part due to their offense.

Jim Harbaugh: Apparently the Wolverines are having an off year. If Jim decides to go to the NFL again, he'd automatically become one of the best candidates, if not the top candidate.

James Franklin: What about the guy that just beat Jim Harbaugh? Very little NFL experience (WR coach for Green Bay in 2005), but he's done great work at Vanderbilt (led them to their first consecutive 9 win seasons in team history) and now Penn State (11-3 last year, 7-0 this year).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Watching Jim Harbaugh and his abrasive personality try to coexist with Mike Brown would be great!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watching Jim Harbaugh and his abrasive personality try to coexist with Mike Brown would be great!

I would make a petition to get the Bengals on Hard Knocks again if that happened. Just imagine Harbaugh's face when Mike Brown proposes we should try that one Tight End at Quarterback.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would make a petition to get the Bengals on Hard Knocks again if that happened. Just imagine Harbaugh's face when Mike Brown proposes we should try that one Tight End at Quarterback.

'Sign a free agent!?!??!?!?! That could negatively impact our compensatory picks. You need to go look for guys that were waived!'
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'Sign a free agent!?!??!?!?! That could negatively impact our compensatory picks. You need to go look for guys that were waived!'

[Image: qedu9.gif?w=650]
Reply/Quote
'Nate Solder is in for a visit. Make sure you make a reservation at Wendy's for us! It will be embarrassing if we have to wait to be seated!'
Reply/Quote
'Jim...you need to have a talk with Jonathan Joseph. It's very serious. He needs to know that his behavior from Sunday will not be tolerated! We have standards!

Jim: Ok. You mean his performance on the field? He gave up 80 yards receiving.

No! He stole 3 bottles of Gatorade and 2 sticks of deodorant!'
Reply/Quote
From 2000: Last year, Ki-Jana Carter bought big towels for the team. The players reacted with startled wonder, believing management had actually cracked open its vault. When word emerged Carter had bought the towels, the old cynicism returned.

http://www.enquirer.com/columns/daugherty/2000/04/30/pd_hats_off_to_bengals.html
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Cowher is a pipe dream. Those guys never leave those cush media jobs. Sure, the urge to coach may hit him, then he'll remember 16+ hour days, constant travel, headaches and being on the other end of the tough questions. Not to mention, it might be a pay cut. Here's some names I like:

Matt LaFleur: Probably my favorite candidate on this list, LaFleur has led the miraculous turnaround of the Rams' offense, which is 1st in scoring. He's only 38 years old and was also the QB coach for RGIII when he won ROY and Matt Ryan when he won MVP. This guy should be on speed dial.

Matt Nagy: A member of Andy Reid's staff since 2008, Nagy earned the OC job this year and has led the #2 scoring offense. Alex Smith is having an absolutely ridiculous year. 15 TDs to 0 INTs. 120.5 rating. Nagy is only 39 and is following in the footsteps of Doug Pederson. Nagy should also be on speed dial.

Scott Linnehan: Great work with Preskott and Elliott, knows how important a great o-line is, so I would think that would be a priority coming in. Previous HC experience with Rams from 2006-2008. That fell apart, but I think he's earned another shot. Note: Jim Haslett was his DC in STL...not that I'd want to promote Haslett into Guenther's job.

Frank Reich: The Eagles are 6-1 right now in large part due to their offense.

Jim Harbaugh: Apparently the Wolverines are having an off year. If Jim decides to go to the NFL again, he'd automatically become one of the best candidates, if not the top candidate.

James Franklin: What about the guy that just beat Jim Harbaugh? Very little NFL experience (WR coach for Green Bay in 2005), but he's done great work at Vanderbilt (led them to their first consecutive 9 win seasons in team history) and now Penn State (11-3 last year, 7-0 this year).

Thing with Cowher is that he's been out of the league for over a decade.  A lot has changed since he last coached.

I like your list, but no way Harbaugh takes a job in the AFCN due to his brother.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From 2000: Last year, Ki-Jana Carter bought big towels for the team. The players reacted with startled wonder, believing management had actually cracked open its vault. When word emerged Carter had bought the towels, the old cynicism returned.

http://www.enquirer.com/columns/daugherty/2000/04/30/pd_hats_off_to_bengals.html

"New socks for everyone!"

I cannot believe this team actually recycled jock straps.  Dear Lord......

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watching Jim Harbaugh and his abrasive personality try to coexist with Mike Brown would be great!

Which then causes Brown to sign Colin Kaepernick. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing with Cowher is that he's been out of the league for over a decade.  A lot has changed since he last coached.

I like your list, but no way Harbaugh takes a job in the AFCN due to his brother.

I can't see why Cowher would even consider it. He's got nothing to prove and can only tarnish his legacy....while taking a pay cut.

I don't think Harbaugh will leave Michigan until he at least gets them to relevancy again.  Remember, he resigned his job in SF to take the job at his alma mater (OK, OK he was probably going to get fired  in SF anyway)
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: But ... that post was ... nothing but words.  Nervous

Mellow

Hey, I thought you couldn't see pics! :angry:

lol I can see his sig, but not the post in the other thread (that's what I was referring to, my apologies).

(10-24-2017, 03:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Tsk. Tsk. I'm calling Ottawa.  There must be an office of Un-Canadian Activity I can report you to.

(10-24-2017, 04:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait. Truck's Canadian?  Shocked

I feel dirty.  Sad

Indeed! Born and rasied! Though my background is full Italian (first-gen Canadian) and I MUCH more identify with them...

... even though I don't like pasta and soccer :$
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: "New socks for everyone!"

I cannot believe this team actually recycled jock straps.  Dear Lord......

So Mike Brown became owner in when 1993? That article was written in 2000. It took 6-7 years for them to get towels that fit bigger players, individual jockstraps, and socks!

That just show how none of the Bengals management had experience working for other teams seeing how things were run.

Honestly that might be the biggest problem. They've worked here and only here so long that they feel everything they do is normal.
Reply/Quote