Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Next HC: Bill Cowher?
(10-24-2017, 11:32 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: That was a big signing for the Bengals back then. He actually played pretty well for the Bengals for two years. His fellow ex-Dolphin Louis Oliver also signed as a free-agent. Shocking to get both of them since the Bengals were at the height of their ineptitude with free-agency.

To the bold, while correct, they were last teammates like 10 years between their Bengal stints lol.
To the italics, the Bengals were MUCH BETTER in FA in the 90s, than during Marvin's time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: To the bold, while correct, they were last teammates like 10 years between their Bengal stints lol.
To the italics, the Bengals were MUCH BETTER in FA in the 90s, than during Marvin's time.

......when the drafting was atrocious.  You can't have both with Mikey Boy in charge.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Mike Brown became owner in when 1993? That article was written in 2000. It took 6-7 years for them to get towels that fit bigger players, individual jockstraps, and socks!

That just show how none of the Bengals management had experience working for other teams seeing how things were run.

Honestly that might be the biggest problem. They've worked here and only here so long that they feel everything they do is normal.

Probably so.  Mikey took over in 1991 IIRC.

Reply/Quote
JOHN GRUDEN!!!!!    BIG Surprise! Mike Brown himself will be the next  HC!  Second in line behind MB will be KATE!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I know Harbaugh is the big name, but is anyone as impressed with LaFleur and Nagy as I am?

LaFleur's resume is incredible. QB coach for RGIII when he won rookie of the year and Matt Ryan when he won MVP. The Rams were dead last in points scored last year and are currently first. Nagy has followed Doug Pederson's footsteps as Andy Reid's protege and has made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know Harbaugh is the big name, but is anyone as impressed with LaFleur and Nagy as I am?

LaFleur's resume is incredible. QB coach for RGIII when he won rookie of the year and Matt Ryan when he won MVP. The Rams were dead last in points scored last year and are currently first. Nagy has followed Doug Pederson's footsteps as Andy Reid's protege and has made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady.

.....but can they scout?  Run the memiograph and printing press?  Change oil in the Lumina?  Scour the papers for Wendy's coupons?  These things are a must!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....but can they scout?  Run the memiograph and printing press?  Change oil in the Lumina?  Scour the papers for Wendy's coupons?  These things are a must!

Man are we jaded or what? LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man are we jaded or what? LOL

Cynicism is the key to sanity! Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man are we jaded or what? LOL

In all seriousness, whoever it is will have to be a good scout.  So, you will need to take that into consideration.  I like your suggestions of those NFL assistants, but one would have to look deeper at just how many responsibilities these guys have.  To have any semblance of a chance to succeed, you would have to be one helluva multi tasker, unless someone splinks Mikey in the head with a shovel, and he regains consciousness as a different man that is.  

That's honestly the only reason I am intrigued by the possibilities of a really good college coach that doesn't run gimmicky offenses (if there are any of those left around).  These guys would have a leg up on knowledge of top draft prospects and late round steals.  I'm pretty sure Franklin DOES run the read option, but I do like his ability to work with what he's got and make it successful.  His ability to right a ship quickly interests me.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Cynicism is the key to sanity! Big Grin

Amen brother, love the sig. LMAO

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: In all seriousness, whoever it is will have to be a good scout.  So, you will need to take that into consideration.  I like your suggestions of those NFL assistants, but one would have to look deeper at just how many responsibilities these guys have.  To have any semblance of a chance to succeed, you would have to be one helluva multi tasker, unless someone splinks Mikey in the head with a shovel, and he regains consciousness as a different man that is.  

That's honestly the only reason I am intrigued by the possibilities of a really good college coach that doesn't run gimmicky offenses (if there are any of those left around).  These guys would have a leg up on knowledge of top draft prospects and late round steals.  I'm pretty sure Franklin DOES run the read option, but I do like his ability to work with what he's got and make it successful.  His ability to right a ship quickly interests me.

I feel ya, and yes our HC does have extra responsibilities. That said, Marv himself was just a coordinator with the Ravens and he has managed. He's just choked in big moments.

LaFleur taking the 32nd ranked scoring offense and making them #1 was quite a quick and drastic turnaround. He just seems like a brilliant young offensive mind and everything he's touched has turned to gold. I can't hate on Franklin though.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel ya, and yes our HC does have extra responsibilities. That said, Marv himself was just a coordinator with the Ravens and he has managed. He's just choked in big moments.

LaFleur taking the 32nd ranked scoring offense and making them #1 was quite a quick and drastic turnaround. He just seems like a brilliant young offensive mind and everything he's touched has turned to gold. I can't hate on Franklin though.

LaFleur is intriguing, and good point on Merv being a coordinator.  Right now, I'd settle for Mr. Coach Klein, as long as he gets to bring Red Beaulieu to coach the oline.  That Meaney guy was a BEAST! LMAO

[Image: doiz84.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Amen brother, love the sig. LMAO

Hope I can get past the 50 years of anger and frustration point and mature into cynicism.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:11 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Hope I can get past the 50 years of anger and frustration point and mature into cynicism.

When you do reach that point, it's the best! :andy:

Reply/Quote
This thread has actually made me kinda excited for the offseason. Let's hope Merv is fired and Brown looks at the guys we're all talking about.

Which probably means PA becomes our next head coach. Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: In all seriousness, whoever it is will have to be a good scout.  So, you will need to take that into consideration.  I like your suggestions of those NFL assistants, but one would have to look deeper at just how many responsibilities these guys have.  To have any semblance of a chance to succeed, you would have to be one helluva multi tasker, unless someone splinks Mikey in the head with a shovel, and he regains consciousness as a different man that is.  

I had an hour drive this morning and spent 53 minutes of it thinking about where the heck the Bengals should look for their next coach. Not will, but should

And that answer is: college.

But... the list of coaches who jump from college to the pros with any real success is short. Yeah, I agree. You can toss out names like Kiffin and Spurrier and Petrino. Plenty of reason why this approach is going to majorly fail. 

On the other hand, we know the Bengals aren't going to spend a ton of money expanding their scouting department. They aren't going to do more interviewing or watch more tape. They might tack on a couple interns or add on a rare position over the next decade, but unless we have another skid like the 90s, we're going to roll with the same structure. So, no new positions.

Which means whoever becomes HC is going to have to know how to scout himself, and be well read on college players and programs. It's not enough to say "That's a SEC kid, he's worth a look." He's going to have to be able to say "we need receivers, WRU has an outstanding position coach that's been building up late round picks who are producing tons of yards; start looking at their tape." 

It's not likely to happen, and coaches like that historically haven't transitioned well. But there's got to be somebody at that level that would translate well to the NFL, and give us an ability to draft better.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know Harbaugh is the big name, but is anyone as impressed with LaFleur and Nagy as I am?

That is an incredible resume and definitely worth consideration. Doubt even if the Bengals brought him in for an interview, that other teams wouldn't swoop in with better offers.

I would be open to bringing in even John Harbaugh because I think he could work wonders for team's overall attitude, and surely would emphasize the trenches (although Baltimore has suffered from attrition on their Oline as much as the Bengals have). I expect to see Harbaugh fired after this year, with the dumpster fire of an offense lead by Flacco. I think he could turn Dalton into a more confident version of himself and get the team a sense of belief in big games that seems to be lacking at the moment. He's smart enough to know when to unleash and when to reign in Burfict in a way I'm not sure Marvin is. 

LaFleur would sure be my first option as coach though, but Mike typically never learns new tricks.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This thread has actually made me kinda excited for the offseason. Let's hope Merv is fired and Brown looks at the guys we're all talking about.

Which probably means PA becomes our next head coach. Whatever

6 games into the year and we're all dreaming of next season...
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel ya, and yes our HC does have extra responsibilities. That said, Marv himself was just a coordinator with the Ravens and he has managed. He's just choked in big moments.

I'd definitely take LaFleur. Although, we have to remember that the Rams acutally went out in free agency and looked to upgrade their weaknesses. I don't see many coaches succeeding here if we stay with this "FA is the plague!" mentality.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

The scouting to me is the tough thing.

I saw a John Clayton article from the 90's talking about how the Bengals lack of scouts was bad because they basically spotted the rest of the league 4 months in scouting and then only attended workouts and didn't see players play in games...because the college games are during the NFL season.

'The Bengals do not scout college players as heavily as most other NFL teams. They have just four full-time "scouts" in their personnel department - and two of them are Brown family members who spend much of their time in the office. The fifth person in the department is part-time consultant John Cooper, the former Ohio State coach.

"Other teams hit every school," Clayton said. "The Bengals get the (scouting) reports, but I get the reports, too. It's knowing the background information, the players' personalities, that make the difference in drafting."

The Bengals do visit schools during the season, but their scouts do not see as many games as scouts from other NFL teams.
"You need to make evaluations during games," Clayton said. "You're not scouting guys to workout."

Once the NFL season ends, Bengals assistants do make visits to colleges for player workout days. They also attend the annual scouting combine in Indianapolis.'
Reply/Quote