Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals: No Extension For Dalton
(03-30-2019, 10:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think it's a possibility. I certainly wouldn't be shocked either. 

Yeah...I know people think they'll take a LB to fill a need...but I think they're going to surprise people and take a QB or WR or some position that surprises people.

That would explain why they retained Hart in some ways. Why they retained Brown. Although we still need another LB unless Evans or Jefferson start.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I know people think they'll take a LB to fill a need...but I think they're going to surprise people and take a QB or WR or some position that surprises people.

That would explain why they retained Hart in some ways. Why they retained Brown. Although we still need another LB unless Evans or Jefferson start.

We seemed to cover all of our bases. Some with mediocre/bad players, but we're technically covered. 

Which would seem to open us up to anything. I wouldn't predict a QB, but I wouldn't be shocked.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Led the league with a whopping 16...which is the lowest by a league leader for as long as ESPN has tracked NFL stats (since 2002). No one threw a lot of INT's last year. Ben just happened to be at the top with 16, which isn't terrible. Throw in 5,129 yards (lead the league) and 34 TD's, and I think bfine is the only poster on here who will claim that's an "eh" season.

The 4 games weren't "cherry picked" to make Andy's season look better. Xeno made a point about the start Andy got off to, but you already knew that. I'll reiterate though, just so you don't confuse anyone. We're not talking about Dalton's "season". The first 4 games were brought up specifically to refute the notion that Dalton got off to an "eh" start

Roll with it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton needs more weapons.........,
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:23 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Bengals will not be giving #14 an extension prior to the start of the season.  No-brainer imo.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/27/bengals-will-not-extend-andy-daltons-deal-before-season/

I guess they did technically point out his current deal runs THROUGH 2020, so he has two years remaining on his contract.  They kind of made it sound like it is this year and done.  But that is PFT.  And Florio is an Uber-douche.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Roll with it.

Roll with 5100 + 34 = eh. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 11:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Roll with 5100 + 34 = eh. 

I'll roll with what I've always rolled with and that is using passer rating to rank a QB; that is why it was created after all. When mentioning Andy was off the an "eh" start it is the exact same metric I used.And I pointed out that start would have placed him 16th in the NFL if he had continued that "hot start".

For some reason that motivated you to talk about how many TDs and yards Big Ben threw for. The Army is strong in this one. 

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 11:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll roll with what I've always rolled with and that is using passer rating to rank a QB; that is why it was created after all. When mentioning Andy was off the an "eh" start it is the exact same metric I used.And I pointed out that start would have placed him 16th in the NFL if he had continued that "hot start".

For some reason that motivated you to talk about how many TDs and yards Big Ben threw for. The Army is strong in this one. 

Andy Dalton can diagnose diseases by rubbing a guinea pig against a persons body then analyzing its entrails.

I'd like to see Big Ben do that.  He has so much negative energy in his chakras that guinea pigs would flee before he could even try to catch one.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 11:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll roll with what I've always rolled with and that is using passer rating to rank a QB; that is why it was created after all. When mentioning Andy was off the an "eh" start it is the exact same metric I used.And I pointed out that start would have placed him 16th in the NFL if he had continued that "hot start".

No one uses ONLY passer rating with no context to determine whether or not a QB had a good season (or in this case, a hot start). If we always looked at things in this very narrow-minded way (which happens to be really convenient to pretending Dalton got off to an "eh" start), we'd think the following:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (2366 yards, 17 TD's, benched) had a better season than Andrew Luck (4593 yards and 39 TD's)
Josh McCown (2926 yards, 18 TD's) was better than Pig Ben (4251 yards, 28 TD's) in 2017
Ryan Tannehill (2995 yards, 19 TD's) was better than Russell Wilson (4219 yards, 21 TD's) and Phil Rivers (4386 yards, 33 TD's) in 2016

Dave Krieg had a better career than John Elway. 
Tom Brady is the 4th best QB of all-time.
Chad Pennington is one of the all-time greats. 
Nick Foles >>> Cam Newton.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No one uses ONLY passer rating with no context to determine whether or not a QB had a good season (or in this case, a hot start). If we always looked at things in this very narrow-minded way (which happens to be really convenient to pretending Dalton got off to an "eh" start), we'd think the following:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (2366 yards, 17 TD's, benched) had a better season than Andrew Luck (4593 yards and 39 TD's)
Josh McCown (2926 yards, 18 TD's) was better than Pig Ben (4251 yards, 28 TD's) in 2017
Ryan Tannehill (2995 yards, 19 TD's) was better than Russell Wilson (4219 yards, 21 TD's) and Phil Rivers (4386 yards, 33 TD's) in 2016

Roll with it

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Roll with it

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I know people think they'll take a LB to fill a need...but I think they're going to surprise people and take a QB or WR or some position that surprises people.

We will definitely draft a LB early, but you don't always use your first pick on your biggest need.  It could be a CB. That position is ridiculously expensive in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We will definitely draft a LB early, but you don't always use your first pick on your biggest need.  It could be a CB. That position is ridiculously expensive in free agency.

Wonder if this past off-season will make them realize the same with drafting tackles in the first? Or did OG and Fish scar them? Judging by the visits they've used, I'm thinking the latter.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guess they did technically point out his current deal runs THROUGH 2020, so he has two years remaining on his contract.  They kind of made it sound like it is this year and done.  But that is PFT.  And Florio is an Uber-douche.  

Right, why wouldn't they evaluate him under Taylor's regime before extending him?  The contract is through 2020 as you mentioned.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No one uses ONLY passer rating with no context to determine whether or not a QB had a good season (or in this case, a hot start). If we always looked at things in this very narrow-minded way (which happens to be really convenient to pretending Dalton got off to an "eh" start), we'd think the following:

You had me till that last one.  Nick foles beat Tom Brady in a super bowl where Tom put up 500+ yards of passing.  That guy is legit.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We will definitely draft a LB early, but you don't always use your first pick on your biggest need.  It could be a CB. That position is ridiculously expensive in free agency.

I have a suspicion we may go QB or WR.

The most likely pick would be White/Bush, and OT, or maybe a DE.
Reply/Quote
Definitely not going CB. The ones that are there not worth #11. Wouldn’t be shocked if we go WR or Qb. Mike brown loves offense. N linebacker makes too much sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have a suspicion we may go QB or WR.

(04-02-2019, 02:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Wouldn’t be shocked if we go WR or Qb.

It won't be a QB but with Green at the end of his contract WR is a possibility.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:25 PM)motoarch Wrote: You had me till that last one.  Nick foles beat Tom Brady in a super bowl where Tom put up 500+ yards of passing.  That guy is legit.

Foles was good with the Eagles. At every other stop in the league he was pretty bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:25 PM)motoarch Wrote: You had me till that last one.  Nick foles beat Tom Brady in a super bowl where Tom put up 500+ yards of passing.  That guy is legit.

We're comparing a guy who has no success outside of Philly (and a spotty record even there) to a league MVP though. 

I think most people would take Cam over Nick if they're starting a team. Honestly, I don't think it'd be all that close.
Reply/Quote