Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Reportedly Signing WR- Rashaun Simonise
but seriously we gotta hype rookies before preseason... and possibly only nfl action
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure how I feel about the preseason anymore

Starters flash against 2nd/3rd stringers that doesn't translate into the regular season (HUNT)

Rookies/UDFA/PS players flash but don't see significant snaps in the regular season (KUMEROW)

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 01:23 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about the preseason anymore

Starters flash against 2nd/3rd stringers that doesn't translate into the regular season (HUNT)

Rookies/UDFA/PS players flash but don't see significant snaps in the regular season (KUMEROW)

Coaches put a lot more value in the hundreds of reps they see in practice than they do a handful of plays in a preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 04:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaches put a lot more value in the hundreds of reps they see in practice than they do a handful of plays in a preseason game.

My comment goes with reps as well. The puff pieces every preseason on how starters are fine tuning their craft and rookies blowing by expectations.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 04:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I never said you were the one saying he was going to be unstoppable, but you might have noticed someone else in this thread did.  Mellow out.

Call me mellow yellow. Mellow

Brad was just saying it would be pretty hard to stop a 6'4" and a 6'5" wideout combination that can
both go up for the ball and have speed from i read of his quotes...

Not totally crazy. On the other hand it could be argued that hating on this move is a little crazy.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 12:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Call me mellow yellow. Mellow

Brad was just saying it would be pretty hard to stop a 6'4" and a 6'5" wideout combination that can
both go up for the ball and have speed from i read of his quotes...

Not totally crazy. On the other hand it could be argued that hating on this move is a little crazy.

He said "unstoppable" and when I pointed out that thinking an undrafted WR is going to revolutionize NFL offenses is a bit wacky he started getting a bit defensive.

I'm not hating on the move...I think signing a guy that has great physical charts makes sense and could pay off, but I don't think this is a new idea (Al Davis signed every physical specimen he could), nor do I think it's going to pan out, NOR do I think anyone who is high on this guy is going to be high on him for long.  Some other "could be great" guy will appear and the hype will move to him.  I'd probably have more respect for the "HOLY CRAP, THIS GUY IS GONNA BE GREAT" hype if we didn't so often see how quickly the old prospects get forgotten when a new one shows up.

Right now we have:

Alford
Kumerow
Core
and Simonise

who all fall into the category of "unknown nobody who could be super great."  Sounds good, but we're probably going to be looking at Lafell and Tate winning the jobs and we can just sit around and wonder why Marvin hates giving guys who could be super awesome a shot and why he insists on playing ho-hum vets. That's just on offense, too...I don't recall anyone wondering if Devon Still could make the leap this year, because we've moved on and found new blank slates onto which to project our dreams.

I hope Simonise is great.  I hope he runs and jumps and leaves the Steelers' secondary in the dust.  I hope he and AJ become the top 2-man WR combo in the league.  Personally, I can't just believe he's going to be uncoverable because he's 6'5 BUT I sure as hell hope he is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 01:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He said "unstoppable" and when I pointed out that thinking an undrafted WR is going to revolutionize NFL offenses is a bit wacky he started getting a bit defensive.

I'm not hating on the move...I think signing a guy that has great physical charts makes sense and could pay off, but I don't think this is a new idea (Al Davis signed every physical specimen he could), nor do I think it's going to pan out, NOR do I think anyone who is high on this guy is going to be high on him for long.  Some other "could be great" guy will appear and the hype will move to him.  I'd probably have more respect for the "HOLY CRAP, THIS GUY IS GONNA BE GREAT" hype if we didn't so often see how quickly the old prospects get forgotten when a new one shows up.

Right now we have:

Alford
Kumerow
Core
and Simonise

who all fall into the category of "unknown nobody who could be super great."  Sounds good, but we're probably going to be looking at Lafell and Tate winning the jobs and we can just sit around and wonder why Marvin hates giving guys who could be super awesome a shot and why he insists on playing ho-hum vets.  That's just on offense, too...I don't recall anyone wondering if Devon Still could make the leap this year, because we've moved on and found new blank slates onto which to project our dreams.

I hope Simonise is great.  I hope he runs and jumps and leaves the Steelers' secondary in the dust.  I hope he and AJ become the top 2-man WR combo in the league.  Personally, I can't just believe he's going to be uncoverable because he's 6'5 BUT I sure as hell hope he is.
dont forget that kid from Toledo whose name I forgot?    Russell

And the Bulldog Bennett
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 02:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: dont forget that kid from Toledo whose name I forgot?    Russell

And the Bulldog Bennett

Bulldog Bennett sounds like a wrestler from a regional show in the 80s.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 01:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He said "unstoppable" and when I pointed out that thinking an undrafted WR is going to revolutionize NFL offenses is a bit wacky he started getting a bit defensive.

Right now we have:

Alford
Kumerow
Core
and Simonise

who all fall into the category of "unknown nobody who could be super great."  Sounds good, but we're probably going to be looking at Lafell and Tate winning the jobs and we can just sit around and wonder why Marvin hates giving guys who could be super awesome a shot and why he insists on playing ho-hum vets.  That's just on offense, too...I don't recall anyone wondering if Devon Still could make the leap this year, because we've moved on and found new blank slates onto which to project our dreams.

You didn't even mention our 2nd rounder here.

Or Alonzo Russell who is a 6'4" leaper himself.

Or Michael Bennett...

I think the odds are one or two of these guys can become a better WR than Tate. Lafell is our #2 right now, Boyd is our Slot receiver etc.

Plus being 6'5" with speed and the ability to go up for the ball is not that common even in the NFL.

I do agree it is a little much to say the word "unstoppable" or that this would revolutionize the NFL, there are other teams with tall WR's.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 02:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bulldog Bennett sounds like a wrestler from a regional show in the 80s.

Yep.  Like he would wear a collar and 'woof' every time he made a big wrestling move.  
It would send the 157 fans into a frenzy.
Reply/Quote
And I should be excited why?
Reply/Quote
simoniz-carnuba-bubblizer-can.png (200×201)

Dude is gonna shine. Says it right here

Edit: SHould of read the whole thread. Rotobeast already used this joke.
Reply/Quote
I like the signing. The more wideouts the better going into camp. I hope they all have a legit shot to make the squad, as long as they earn it. We're about to see. I'll be watching Lafell and hoping he doesn't just get handed the starter job if others look better.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 09:01 PM)bonesaw Wrote: simoniz-carnuba-bubblizer-can.png (200×201)

Dude is gonna shine.  Says it right here

Edit:  SHould of read the whole thread.  Rotobeast already used this joke.

No problem, homie.
It's cool that we're on the same page.
ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote