Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Trade With Jaguars for DE
Sounds like a rotational piece for the d-line.

Quote:The Bengals have added a piece to their defensive line in a trade with the Jaguars.

Cincinnati announced on Tuesday that they have acquired defensive end Chris Smith. A conditional 2018 draft pick is headed to the Jaguars, but the conditions attached to the pick have not been announced.

Smith was a fifth-round pick in 2014 and has played in 19 games for the Jaguars over the last three seasons. He had three sacks while playing 89 snaps on defense as a rookie and added 1.5 more over the next two years in Jacksonville.

The Bengals re-signed Wallace Gilberry to go with 2014 third-round pick Will Clarke as defensive end options behind Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson. Smith will likely join them in a competition for rotational time during the 2017 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/bengals-trade-for-jaguars-de-chris-smith/
Reply/Quote
Who? What? Why? Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Sounds like a rotational piece for the d-line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/bengals-trade-for-jaguars-de-chris-smith/

Interesting. He had his best season as a rookie with 3.0 sacks, which isn't much still an improvement over Margus Hunt. I hope this doesn't make the Bengals put less of a priority on DE in this draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Sounds like a rotational piece for the d-line.

This is the bengals saying" were gonna take a TE or WR in rd 1 so we better get a crappy DE to rotate in case we dont get one in rd2"
Reply/Quote
Championship !

No really know nothing about the kid but does not sound like too exciting of a move at face value.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:36 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Who?  What?  Why?  Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

(04-11-2017, 12:43 PM)B3ng4Ls420 Wrote: This is the bengals saying" were gonna take a TE or WR in rd 1 so we better get a crappy DE to rotate in case we dont get one in rd2"

And this.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting. He had his best season as a rookie with 3.0 sacks, which isn't much still an improvement over Margus Hunt. I hope this doesn't make the Bengals put less of a priority on DE in this draft.

Me too but suspect it will. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
the last time we traded a conditional pick for a Jags player we got Reggie Nelson....yes, I'm clutching at straws - hopefully this has no bearing whatsoever on our draft approach
Reply/Quote
Literally has no impact on the draft, my guess is Marvin was talking to close friend Coughlin and they said they were probably parting ways with him. We saw them last year, staff may have liked him and said we will give you a 7th if he makes our roster. No risk and if he works out as a back of roster guy great. These kind of conditional trades happen a lot with most never amounting to anything, but worth a flyer with little to no risk.
Reply/Quote
No reason to complain about fresh, young talent. Getting younger on defense is clearly a priority right now. And even though he hasn't blown the league away he has shown he can produce. Hopefully he earns a place in the rotation.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:49 PM)sonofstat Wrote: the last time we traded a conditional pick for a Jags player we got Reggie Nelson....yes, I'm clutching at straws - hopefully this has no bearing whatsoever on our draft approach

Very good point!
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:49 PM)sonofstat Wrote: the last time we traded a conditional pick for a Jags player we got Reggie Nelson....yes, I'm clutching at straws - hopefully this has no bearing whatsoever on our draft approach

we can only hope..
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:58 PM)Slythe Wrote: No reason to complain about fresh, young talent. Getting younger on defense is clearly a priority right now. And even though he hasn't blown the league away he has shown he can produce. Hopefully he earns a place in the rotation.

Agreed.

This doesn't change how we approach the draft either so I don't know why  there are any complaints.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Literally has no impact on the draft, my guess is Marvin was talking to close friend Coughlin and they said they were probably parting ways with him. We saw them last year, staff may have liked him and said we will give you a 7th if he makes our roster. No risk and if he works out as a back of roster guy great. These kind of conditional trades happen a lot with most never amounting to anything, but worth a flyer with little to no risk.

no complaints here, either. Young athletic guy for, hopefully, a low round conditional pick. Interesting to see where they want to use him.  Pass rushing SAM backer?  he's 6'1" @ 265lbs.  Looong arms, 34 1/8th", still did 28 reps on bench at combine.  Ran a 4.71 40.  Can't really see him lining up at DE with any regularity. 

from http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/chris%20-smith?id=2543692

Quote:Strengths
Long arms. Very good take-off, burst and closing speed. Wins with quickness and effort. Plays hard with good urgency and runs to the ball. Good finishing speed and hustle in backside pursuit. Gradually improving strength. Likable personality with natural leadership traits. Has a 37-inch vertical jump.

Weaknesses
Lacks functional playing strength and can be controlled easily when big-bodied blockers get their hands on him (see Alabama). Struggles to split the double team. Not a nuanced pass rusher -- reliant on upfield speed too much. Can do a better job diagnosing the run more quickly and shedding blocks.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line
A weakside pass rusher who could most ideally project to the rush linebacker position in the pros for a 3-4 front, Smith graded more highly as a junior than he did as a senior, yet possesses the tools to earn a starting job in the pros in multiple schemes. Versatility is a plus.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Maybe this is a prelude to a draft day trade.

An attempt to butter the Jags up for a AJM plus our #9 pick for their #4 overall pick.

Doubt it and hopefully the kid works out though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Agreed.

This doesn't change how we approach the draft either so I don't know why  there are any complaints.

Do not think there is complaining really. 

Just some think it is a mundane move and not moving the excitement needle much, if at all. 

Change of scenery works sometimes and as pointed out he may be used differently here. 

Best wishes to him.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
At 6 foot 1 and 266 pounds Smith is built more like our Linebackers than our Defensive ends.
They either plan for him to be Linebacker depth or this may signal a new approach in getting shorter defensive ends that may be quicker with more ability to get low & bend around tackles on passing downs.
Not the typical 6 foot 5 plus tall and long guy we use as defensive ends.
This could be more of a Rey Maualuga roster depth replenishment move rather than a defensive end move based on his body type or a signal that they are willing to get shorter players at D-end for pass rush.
Reply/Quote
Oh good. Solved our DE problem...

Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
I think they will take Corey Davis if he is still on the board.

If they tale Davis and he turns out to be a stud, they wont re-sign AJ to another contract.

I will bet that is what they are thinking.

If the o line can give Dalton 3 seconds, Davis on the other side of AJ would be pretty scary
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:18 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I think they will take Corey Davis if he is still on the board.

If they tale Davis and he turns out to be a stud, they wont re-sign AJ to another contract.

I will bet that is what they are thinking.

If the o line can give Dalton 3 seconds, Davis on the other side of AJ would be pretty scary

I would be really pissed if they let AJ go. Why would they? 
Reply/Quote