Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals UDFAs Official Thread
(04-26-2020, 06:03 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Are they expanding the practice squad this season or did I imagine that? If so, will be more roles available for developmental prospects than in previous years.

we can sign 17 of them to get to the camp total of 90

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:55 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I really like this kid. I'm really surprised no one drafted him. He's a great fit. He'll match Burrow in terms of intensity and confidence. He also holds school records for yards and receptions for a tight end, and USF is no minor program. Falls somewhere in the middle with UC, Louisville, etc. 

Also love this Scotty Washington kid. 6'5" with speed and strong hands? Maybe he's this year's Auden Tate. 

Both of these guys have a shot to make the roster. Not gonna say they will, but I think they have a chance. Same with CB from Dartmouth and the OL from Iowa state. I wanna say the Edge/LB from ECU (Futrell) has a shot, but I'm afraid my ECU bias could color things (purple and gold).  ThumbsUp

Love it, but boy, I don't know why any UDFA WR would want to sign here.  The room is pretty damn full.  Hopefully we can hide some of these guys on the practice squad if they are good
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 08:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Smart CFAs look at Dwayne Haskins sub-60% completion, sub-7.0 YPA, 7 TD/7 INT in 9 games (with 29 sacks and 6 fumbles) and then look at Joe Burrow who he already has a working relationship and chemistry with.

Doesn't matter if you have a chance of starting Year 1 if your QB is no good and only threw for 152 yards/game last year.

Moss will put up better #'s starting with Haskins than riding the pine with Burrow.  Plus crap QB's love those security blanket type TE's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Watch Moss put up better numbers than Sample now...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:48 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Yeah, Baby Hawk, Vinny Rey, and Burfict jump to mind when I think of UDFAs who made the team under Marvin over 16 years. Was Tate a Marvin guy? Zac does seem a little more willing to give guys a shot though. I was pulling for Damian Willis last year. He didn't do too much. I have to wonder how much of it was him, and how much it was Andy. 

I looked at Willis as a preseason stud...looked better than everyone we had, but when the bright lights came on, he didn't seem to run routes with the same energy.  I broke him down a lot and where he was lined up, and his matchups, he should have been much better.  Too bad. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watch Moss put up better numbers than Sample now...

I think Sample is going to have a great year.  Not sure if he will ever live up to a mid-2nd round pick, but I have a feeling he's going to be a big contributor next year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Love it, but boy, I don't know why any UDFA WR would want to sign here.  The room is pretty damn full.  Hopefully we can hide some of these guys on the practice squad if they are good

With Green and Ross only under contract through next year, it makes a lot of sense.  He could be on the PS for a year and get some really good experience and compete for a spot next year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watch Moss put up better numbers than Sample now...

I feel like Moss gets so much attention because of who his dad was. He’s got below average size for the position at 6’3 and had average stats nothing special. The fact that he didn’t get drafted in a weak TE class tells you he wasn’t that talented of a prospect. With that being said I’m still not happy with the Sample pick lol I think it was a huge reach, you only draft TE’s in round 2 if there playmakers not blockers.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Love it, but boy, I don't know why any UDFA WR would want to sign here.  The room is pretty damn full.  Hopefully we can hide some of these guys on the practice squad if they are good

Green
Higgins
Ross
Boyd
Tate

are locks IF they can stay healthy.

3 of these 4 

Erikson
Willis
Morgan 
Thomas

could be bumped off the roster if Washington shows anything. There's always PS, too.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 02:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: With Green and Ross only under contract through next year, it makes a lot of sense.  He could be on the PS for a year and get some really good experience and compete for a spot next year.  

Sure, but there's probably no chance to play here.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 02:36 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I feel like Moss gets so much attention because of who his dad was. He’s got below average size for the position at 6’3 and had average stats nothing special. The fact that he didn’t get drafted in a weak TE class tells you he wasn’t that talented of a prospect. With that being said I’m still not happy with the Sample pick lol I think it was a huge reach, you only draft TE’s in round 2 if there playmakers not blockers.

It’s not just who his dad is. He didn’t drop a single pass last season, and had 47 rec, including some big catches in the playoffs. Not saying he’ll be a star or anything, but without the foot surgeries he probably would have been drafted.

And “nothing special” could literally be the motto of our TE room...

Reply/Quote
I think Moss could've been a serviceable second or third tight end after a year or two if he was healthy. Having surgeries to fix a fracture in both feet terrifies me, though. Ultimately, I don't think he was coming here either way as a UDFA. He probably chose Washington because currently their top TE is Jeremy Sprinkle, which makes Uzomah look like Tony Gonzalez.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote

Reasons to sign with Cincy

1) You'll get opportunities here notwithstanding your draft status. An undrafted rookie receiver started Week 1 for us last year.
2) Chance to learn from AJ Green
3) Potentially have Burrow throwing to you in pre-season if you need to put up good tape
4) We had the worst record in the NFL last year and we only had 7 draft picks to fix that. There are going to be more opportunities to win places on this roster than most.
5) Only 2 drafted receivers currently under contract for 2021, so even if you only make the Practice Squad in 2020 there's a clear path to the roster in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watch Moss put up better numbers than Sample now...

How do you evaluate numbers for a TE when Sample's main job is to block and Moss is known as small pass catching TE and liability blocking?

I would just like to know for future discussions.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 01:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How do you evaluate numbers for a TE when Sample's main job is to block and Moss is known as small pass catching TE and liability blocking?

I would just like to know for future discussions.

Sample is going to have be a receiving threat at some point if he’s our future starter. Look at the best teams in the league right now like KC and SF. See anything in common?

Reply/Quote